Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Squirting Cucumber

Yikes! A spurt of wet, grassy greenness.

I don't know why I was compelled to have this so badly but I was. I usually like florals and smoky scents but this just looked so appealing to me.

This feels happy. It's bright and fresh. I never thought cucumber could be pretty but it is. It's a juicy cucumber scent to start. Very strong throw. Then the grass notes appear. I love grass notes in anything. And this grass is sweet and light and beautiful. It's not as sharp as the grass in Garden Path with Chickens, which is one of my favorite fragrances. This grass is more toned down. It seems like there is a very unassuming floral note in here too somewhere. But I can't be certain. Maybe its just a very complex grass note.

I wore this today b/c it's so ugly outside and it really cheered me up and made me think of warmer weather. I want this in soap form, lotion, candles, and massage oil. It's just wonderful!

When I was in high school, I read somewhere (Sassy, probably), that Courtney Love wore a combo of cucumber oil and watermelon oil as perfume. Whether this was true or not, I have no idea, but I thought it was a very cool idea (this was before the explosion of cucumber melon lotions and candles), but I didn't like the watermelon oil when I tried it. I did, however, love the cucumber. Love, love, love.

So, when I saw Squirting Cucumber added to the GCs, I ordered an imp and I love, love, love it. I don't know why I haven't reviewed it until now. I suppose because there's really not much to say, not a lot of notes to pick out. This is fresh, dewy cucumber with a slightly sweet cut grass note behind it. Mostly, though, it's just cucumber, and despite the fact that I'm usually all about ambers and musk and darker scents, this is one of my top ten favorite BPALs ever.

interesting.

sweet, wet cucumber.

like i just rubbed a cucumber and some sugar on my skin.

i'm digging it, would be nice on a sweltering summer day - a nice, cool scent.

very natural.

OH yes this is green. I had to get over the image of squirting sea cucumbers (GROSS) to buy that Imp tho. It was nice.

ADDED Sept. 2:

I like the cleanliness of this scent. Cucumbers always make me smile and the day seem cooler no matter how hot it is outside.

Okay, I need to preface this with the fact that I HATE cucumber. It's one of my least favorite foods. Seriously. Hate.

But the lab frimped me this and I have to try everything. I can't help it.

My conclusion is, that if you DO like cucumber, you will probably love this. If a cucumber could be sweeter and "juicy", this is how it would smell. Like other reviewers have said, it would be refreshing on a hot, humid day.

Also, it has some intense staying power. I couldn't get it off! Not for me, but not a bad blend at all.

In the bottle: Fresh green cucumbery floral. Not grassy.

Wet: Same, maybe a wee bit more floral. It's not a weak oil but it has a light feel.

Dry: It's gotten a bit sweeter, but otherwise remains a fresh, green floral-cucumber scent. It's really lovely and refreshing. I think one of the floral notes (which are not heady - very delicate without being powdery) is honeysuckle. It's almost melony too, which doesn't really surprise me as both melon and cucumber are in the same family.

Summary: Fresh, green-white, delicate cucumerby slightly sweet floral...yes I'm being redundant, but this scent stays so true on me, other than the mild sweetening over time. Possibly a bottle buy - I think it'd be a great summer scent on hot, muggy days. I would have never thought I'd like it based on the note description - thank god I got it as a frimp!

I ended up getting a bottle. :P

In the imp, it is green!! Green like fresh grass.

On my skin, it gets slightly warmer, but it's still fresh green grass.

When it dries, it's incredibly clean and light, but much less POW than before - it fades quite a bit. I like it, it's an amazing work of art - not for me, though.

Exactly like the name suggests. Freshly sliced cucumber, seeds and all. This would be a good scent to enable Bath and Body works fans. Great for spring and summer.

This is cucumber perfected. If you at all like cucumber scents, this is a must try. It is very fresh and juicy and smells exactly like a cucumber that has just been sliced. It's perfect for spring and summer and any time you want to feel refreshed.

In the imp: Cucumber rind! Green-y! Fun!

Wet: Cool, quiet slices of cucumber. Not bitter vegetable, not sweet "cucumber lotion," just fresh and relaxing.

Drydown: My skin ate it. I hope this pops back out when it's completely dry.

Dry: Plain old cucumber, cucumber. Many hours later, it picks up a slightly sweet quality.

Later: I'm thinking this would be a primo candidate for layering with Envy.

It's a delicatel floral on me. Reminds me of a sweet little avon perfume they used to have back in the seventies or early eighties. If memory serves, this reminds me of their honeysuckle scent (or maybe lilac? I'm not good at this). It's a very cute, pleasant, sweet, innocent little thing but ON ME, at least, not very cucumbery. And I very much want the cuke, not the floral. I've tried this twice at different times in my cycle and still am not getting much cucumber. I'm not sure if cucumber would even come to my mind if I smelled this without a hint that's what it's striving for.

My perception is probably strongly influenced by my chemistry and nose since I find myself having very different experiences with these oils than other reviewers in general.

Edited by Trixie

Yay! This is a perfect cucumber scent on me, it reminds me of much-loved cucumber lotions that I've used in the past. This is the simple, fresh scent I kept looking for in BPAL aquatics and not finding. A wonderful scent for summer - though it's much stronger than I was expecting, I'll use less next time I wear it.

One of my first 6 imps (and 2 frimps). Added to the list because I hoped for a grassy fresh bright scent, for the non-dark days of my life.

In the bottle: That's a cucumber, fred. Maybe a dash of something else I don't know hidden and compressed.

Wet on skin: Snake oil contaminated my skin earlier at my wrists. (Still smells like dirty rancid baby powder when I sniff closely, showered and changed clothes too o_o) so this is at my inner elbows. Smells like the bottle, but with an even more vibrant feel.

Drying: It's not really changing, which is ok. Just being cucumber. Smells like this cucumber face peel I had when I was about 12. Slightly fake, and not really like a freshly cut cucumber. But yet not grossly fake. Just, "Oh, you're cucumber scented" instead of "My god, are you part cucumber?". No grass, though.

Ten minutes later: I've discovered, in these 8 imps (this is the last of my pack I've tried) that my skin turns everything musky. It finds the base tone and just devours everything else, leaving a note or two lingering. Tonka, Wines, Powdery things, whatever. In Squirting Cucumber, it's clung to that acidic face-mask cleanser smell. But, the scent is morphing. I'm making this acidic face peel smell change into a clean crisp sun-dried sheet. Apparently, that's the "musky" version of "Face peel". It's sweetening up and growing a little watery, in a good way.

Ten more minutes: Yep, I was right. Much much more like a real cucumber and less like the face peel. Grassy notes are starting to float my way. It smells like a cool summer evening, munching on cucumbers while the sun sets, laying on a fresh crisp sheet on newly cut grass. There's a river or creek nearby, too. Keeping the breeze fresh and crisply delicious. I am really adoring this. This may be the scent I wear for the rest of summer.

More time: It keeps turning watery. The cucumbers continuing to fade. I see that the "fresh sheet" is turning to "Wet sheet". But even so, it's delicious. We finished off the cucumbers and are laying about, enjoying the breeze. I love it. Now it's even more wearable than being cucumbery.

Overall: Delicious. Although I call it face-peel smell, it's a really really mild "fake" smell. Cucumbers realistically have a faint watery smell I can't imagine capturing without using a cucumber. This hit it on the head, after a brief morphing period. But the changes are so slight, that I feel like I'm a nitpicky little girl.

This was cucumber salad and glorious innocent summer evenings.

A side note: My sister used it, and it vanished on her quickly. Her body highlights the high notes and eats the low notes. Cucumber was VERY cucumber on her, then simply vanished in a few hours, leaving a faint baby powder dust behind. For me, it's lasting and growing stronger. Deeper, and fuller. My skin is eating the bright notes she accentuated, and is accentuating the darker more full "summery" notes. Not powdery at all for me, which I would have hated and died if it was.

I'm going way too deep. This is cucumbers! Exactly what I had hoped for.

Rating: A

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

This is definitely cucumber! Like a fresh green cucumber. Strangely, it turns into a bit like a cucumber raita to me (an Indian condiment made from yogurt). I think it would be good to layer with Yemaya (cucumber/melon anyone? :P )

::sob sob::

I got my imp of Squirting Cucumber today and it was the first thing I tried on, because I love the way cucumbers smell, and I'd read so many wonderful reviews on here.

I didn't get any of the good cucumber scent. At all.

On me, it started off as wet grass, but not good healthy just cut wet grass. This is the stuff that's sat up next to the house and gone through a few rains. Nasty, slimy wet grass.

No cucumber, even now after an hour. I'm smelling a little weird floral in there, but I can't get a grip on it to figure out exactly what it is. Not nice, though. :P

I really wanted this to work. I'm going to wait a week or so and see if it's maybe my body that's messing this up. If not, it's into the swap pile for it.

In the imp: cool, watery cucumber; green foliage

Wet: happy, clean juicy cucumber exploding on skin; a sweet white floral; green grass

Dry: Fresh, crisp--perfect cucumber note! After a while, it warms a tad with a bit of aloe. Refreshingingly cool for on a day like today when temp is predicted at 106 degrees.

I love cucumber notes in complex oils...this is simple and straightforward. Would make a great layering note. But today, I will enjoy it alone and long for cooler weather!

:P

SW Award Frimp

Imp: grassy cucumbers.

Wet on Me: Green astringent cucmbers.

Drying Down: now going musty cucumbers.

Dry: Stale cucumber. no more grass.

Kinda Musty. I have mixed feelings on this one.

Crisp, fresh, green cucumbers! This would be fun to wear to a picnic at the height of summer. My only quibble is that it doesn't have much staying power, but it's very refreshing while it lasts.

In the imp: Wet, squishy cucumber - seeds included!

Wet: Cucumber with a hint of green(er) notes (wet grass).

Dry: Pure cucumber that wasn't shipped to any grocery store.

Overall: I like this a lot. It's so simple, but yet complex because almost all the 'cucumber'-scented things available today do not smell this accurate. Of course, maybe that's because it's usually also paired with melon, but it's nice to have it be in a more pure form such as this.

In the bottle: Fresh herbal green and faint hints of cucumber.

Wet: Green herbal and something that smells like fresh, spicy lilacs, or maybe wild roses, the kind that grow in the huge bushes and smell wonderfully heady.

After a few minutes on skin: Pretty and spicy with that faint wild rose scent still present. Very, very light. I think this one is going to fade fast, which is a shame because it's rather nice.

After first hour: Very light, peppery herbal cucumber, with a faint sweetness. Normally I don't like sweet, but there is enough herbal tang in this that it doesn't smell overly girly or candylike. It smells definitely interesting and unique enough to be worthy of the Bpal name.

After two and a half hours: Pleasant spicy green herbal, the cucumber has died from a recognizably foody note to a very pleasant generic green/vegetal.

After 5 hours: Faint herbal green.

Final Verdict: Pleasant enough to find a temporary place in my top ten, though I don't think I like this enough to ever want a big bottle.

Does exactly what it says on the tin -- cucumber! A bit of an odd choice for me, wearing cucumber and all, but not at all unpleasant and very fresh!

This will so not be a helpful review. If the first fifty or so reviews of "it's cucumber!" didn't help you, this certainly won't do the trick! :P

In the bottle: Shock! It smells like cucumber! Who would've thought?!

Wet: Still with the cucumber, but there's a little bit of a green/grassy-ness in there.

Dry: Now it's a nice blend of cucumber and grass clippings.

Verdict: I really really wanted this imp and I'm so glad it turned out to be exactly what I thought. Cool and refreshing and very nice. Love it!

5/5

Edited by gnl

I knew I `d love this one and I do! It`s literally fresh and a bit sweet cucumber just cut and ready to be eaten on a sunday afternoon after swimming on the beach. it reminds me so strongly on my summer memories I can`t help slathering and feel refreshed and lighthearted. It`s slighly spicy too, like a touch of black pepper to your salad, delicious!