Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
CapricornSister

The Knave of Hearts

Crushed roses and blackcurrant tarts.

Oh wow.

This is my favorite of the first half of trades. I was despairing of finding a 'YUM!' scent, and then I tried this.

It reminds me of buttery pie pastry and razzleberry filling (raspberries and blackberries, for you heathens who don't know).

I am definitely getting a 5mL of this, and it will be my 'going to work' scent, as I can't imagine getting annoyed/angry while wearing this!

On me, there is little to no rose, although it might be acting more as a tempering agent. One of my trade people sent me a smellie sample of Teenage Cannibal, and it's almost too foody (as if that's possible!). I think in this case, the rose helps to make Knave extremely wearable.

This is definitely number 2 on my list.

On me, there is little to no rose, although it might be acting more as a tempering agent. I think in this case, the rose helps to make Knave extremely wearable.

I completely agree - the rose is very, very minute and it's more of a generic floral smell (very light & feminine, and not in your face like other rose-scented things seem to be to me) - but it seems to provide a balance that's preventing it from being too cookie-ish.

I applied after lunch, and a few hours later - I still smell like a very, very tasty pastry with a teensy hint of something fruity hidden inside. Definitely on my list of 5mls to buy!

Yummy! I feel gorgeous wearing this blend. This is the ultimate rose scent.

This one totally works for me. The rose is dominant, but i can still smell the tarts. It's like warm gooey butter tarts slathered with jam made from rose petals. Totally decadent!

It's girly and flirty and tender with the roses, and the richness and intensity of buttery black current tarts. The tarts are dripping with a deep, dark, buttery syrupy molasses that holds down the light sweet clean rosy floral and keeps it from drifting away and being too watery. So much depth and range to this blend, i totally love it!

4.5/5

This is another scent i'm glad I waited for the dry down.

in the bottle- tapioca-rumcake-Yankee candle

on wet - i'm wondering if this will change or if i will indeedly smell like the candle shop.

dry down - the rose peeks out and really helps take the food edge off.

In bottle/imp: Crusty, sugary currant tarts with the feel of sharp roses wafting over.

Immediately on skin: This scent is odd. I love currant, especially in foodie scents like Eat Me, but in this one there’s almost a saltiness to the tart crust. Along with this is the tanginess of the black currants and roses wafting over the scent. As directly from the imp, I can feel the sharpness of the roses, but not smell them as much.

After a little while: This is more currant than pastry as far as the tart goes, and quite a bit of rose. But the combination is quite pretty and lively. It’s fruity, but fresh and floral. The rose and currant together just smell happy… I don’t know how else to describe it. The rose also almost adds a hint of lemon to this.

Overall Impressions: This is a very bright scent. It’s not the most complex scent, but the balance of currant and rose is fruity, fresh, floral and happy. This is a little tart, so the sweetness is tempered nicely. There’s just a hint of pastry, so those afraid of foodie blends might actually enjoy this one still.

i have been dying to try this for ages and i hoped and prayed that it wouldn't be too foody, but it is. :( i wish it were "Crushed roses and blackcurrant tarts." then it would be perfect for me, but that foody-cakey part from the tarts is not making me happy.

Edited by theseagrows

This imp just came to me yesterday with my order, so it may smell different on me in a few months.

*Opening the imp* Hmmm. huh? Buttered popcorn. And a touch of caramel? Ok.

On my skin it stays buttered popcorn & caramel for a few minutes, then something reddish purple comes out that cuts the foodiness and tries to make the scent.... I dunno.....serious(?). But fails. Its still having fun on my arm, but with stern parents watching closely.

Eventually the conflicting scents meld together to become one big happy well-behaved family.

Alas, it's not for me.

OMG! How did I not know this existed? I am smelling cake, buttery baked goods, currant jam but not too sweet, spices and incense. Ooooo. This is more wearable than Crumpet Rebellion, but just as decadent. Obviously KoH is lacking the marmalade, etc. But the concept is similar.

Eventually I do smell something cleaner, but not enough to go soap. It ends up being more spicy as it dries down. Yum!

Lab frimp (incidentally, filled to the very, very brim--I <3 the Lab).

This is an explosion of butter pastry with currants and (very faintly) roses.

This is Cockaigne plus currants and (faint) roses.

If you like the BPAL butter scents, this one is for you.

interesting scent. While there is a very small hint of flowers, I smell food more. It smells very good. Two things...one I don't like food scents on me....and two now I am hungry... :P

Wonderful stuff but I don't want to wear something thats going to make me hungry...hehehe

Another foodie scent with dimension. I adore the crushed roses in this blend. Roses and tarts combine beautifully together and along with the buttered pastry, I swear I am going to eat my arm.

Again this lasts really long on my skin.

I was all set to write a love letter, but oh man, now that I have my imp and have tried it, Knave of Hearts and I are not getting along at all. :P

In the bottle: Oooh sweet and yummy, definitely get butteryness and pastryness.

On me: Still sweet and slightly floral, but there's a really heavy musky spice scent to it too that's just killing it for me. I smell like a really strong Yankee candle. One of the potpourri-spice scented ones. Looks like it's a swap for you, Knave.

At last, I'm finally trying Knave of Hearts!

Simply put, this is like Eat Me only with a rose note to it. I prefer it over Eat Me because the floral does mellow out the richness of the butter tart.

IN THE IMP: Buttery crust, thick, sweet jam, and sharp, heavy roses. Not something I should object to, given what a big foodie fan I am, but it's a bit cloying. It's too thick, too sweet, too heavy.

WET: Oh, it automatically morphs into something much more delicious on my skin. It's not as overpowering as it was before, and it's a beautiful blend of sweet, slightly tangy currant tart and roses.

DRY: Mmmmm, this is delish. Not overly foody, definitely sophisticated and kind of sexy.

Boy, did I ever get this one wrong. I knew it smelled foody, but I didn't know what it was that was making it so. I thought maybe caramel or sugar. Now that I've read the description, yes, I now know what that floral is, and the black currant tart is the foody. This combination just smells "wrong" to me, a little too perfumey mixed with a very sweet base. I usually like foody with a kick, but this is just not sitting well with me. Much to sweet.

In the imp: sweet black currant. The first word to come to mind is definitely "tart".

Wet on skin: Black currant with a sharp floral twist. Comes on a bit strong at first. I'm not sure how I feel about it but it definitely feels different and darkly sweet.

Drydown: The sweetness seems to come though more and it gets prettier, deeper and a slight bit creamier. I like it.

Overall: I like it. It's not going to be an evryday scent, and I don't know if I'll need a bottle, but I like it.

Imp: blackcurrant and tart is quite strong, which is great! I do detect rose in the background...I hope it stays back there...

Wet: darn...the rose is stronger now that is on my skin; it's still subtle compared to other rose scents, but...

Dry: the rose lingers too much; I would tolerate it with a bit of cream added to it...

Edited by Andrea912

In the imp: it smells kind of like liquid graham crackers to me. I don't get any rose or fruit really.

On: Yum! Candied rose petals and blackberry cobbler, which is probably the currants and tarts, but I'm more familiar with blackberry cobbler so that's what my nose goes with. I love roses and I get them with this as a background scent rather than a full on scent which is probably a nice change for the people around me. I didn't think it had that much throw, but a girl at work said she smelled something nice and cinnamony? and tracked it down to my arm from about 3 or 4 feet away, so my nose may just be a little stuffy right now.

Who needs Monsterbait : Closet when there's a GC that smells almost exactly like it? This is rich, foody, and spicy, without any butter (which I hate hate hate, so I'm quite relieved). I could have done without the rose, but it's really tame and, as previous reviews have said, it probably helps toning the foodiness down and making this wearable.

Very good. Bottle. And my quest for Closet and Crumpet Rebellion officially ends here.

I have been kind of antsy lately, having been completely won over to foody scents by some gingerbread soaps I've been using and swooning over. I didn't have any bottles that were very foody, other than perhaps Lady Una, which is sweet and creamy. I wanted something dense and spicy. Today, I opened my imp box and picked up a frimp of Knave right off the top and gave it a sniff.

I have to say, the Knave and I fell in love instantly. In the imp I smelled deliciously dark spices, almost a hazelnutty ginger cake. I eagerly slathered it on and oh, it was exactly that! As it dried, it became slightly sweeter, as if a sugar glaze were poured over the top of the delicious spice cake. The throw was good, the staying power seems phenomenal. Many hours later and it's lingering, brown sugar and spicey. I usually amp rose like crazy, but in this blend there was nary a whiff.

The final verdict is absolute lust. this has shot up to the very top of my must buy list, I've been scouring sales posts looking for bottles since I don't think my imp will last until I can get a whole bottle. I must have this.

I am surrounded by the scent of a beautiful buttery foodie rose. Very unusual and delicious. This is vaguely nutty and has the butteryness of a very yummy pie crust. The fruit comes out and keeps the rose from taking over as well as preventing this from getting cloying or too sweet. After a few hours, the rose becomes more predominant but in a soft, somewhat powdery sort of way. It's nice and strong, doesn't fade and has great throw.

this is a lot "fresher" smelling in the imp than the notes would leave me to think. Ummm... I'm undecided on this scent! On, I get mostly rose with an undercurrent of red currant.

This smells exactly like the lab description: crushed roses and blackcurrant tart. Roses with buttery berry yumminess underneath. It is a very strange combination indeed - sweet roses with foody, currant cakes! Ultimately I must say I love this blend. I adore roses, and this is a rosy variation on Eat Me. Yum!

I got this as a frimp and wasn't familiar with the notes with I tried it. I often like to try things before ready the notes because it's more fun for me to try to guess. Big mistake in this case.

In Bottle: OMG, this smells similar to Underpants with a floral background. Had to try this immediately as it is AMAZING.

Wet: Oh, this is a tricksy fellow indeed. That floral is immediately recognized the second it hits my skin: Rose. Strong, overwhelming rose.

Dry: Rose and more rose. If there are other notes in, they are lost on me. :(

If you amp rose in a bad way, this is a no go. Rose smells so good in the bottle and on others, but once it hits me all you get is old ladies in a funeral home. This was really disappointing because it's amazing in the Bottle. If you can wear rose and liked Underpants, please try this. I think you will love it.