Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sunny_atlantis

The Dodo

Red musk, lemon peel, sugar cane, cassia, white sandalwood, mango, and agarwood.

This one sounded like it would be so good...but...
Imp: fruity, flea powder
wet: flea powder, medicinal. A little fruitiness peeks through.
Drydown: The medicinal scent (flea powder) dies down a little, but it never completely goes away. I smell the mango and lemon peel, but it's not enough to cover up the medicinal note. After about an hour, I smell the red musk and it's really nice, but the flea powder is still there.
Overall: I think that the notes just don't blend well on my skin. Individually, I like all the notes. This blend just isn't right for me. :cry2:

I did not like the scent of this in the imp at all. I am unable to pick any notes out, but it all just seems very sharp and unpleasant to me.

As I wore it, it smelled the same as it did in the imp. Eventually I was able to pick out some mango, which would have been quite nice on it's own, but there was something in this (or some mix) that just did not work for me at all.

The red musk in this is REALLY strong-I also get a bit of the cassia and mango (yummeh!) and I definitely notice the woods in there...for some reason, in the imp at least, this combo reminds me of trident cinnamon gum...O_o weird...not just any cinnamon gum...only the trident kind...

LOL, yep, trident cinnamon gum...it's so weird because I get little hints of most of the notes in this individually, but as a whole, I get the trident smell...

On full drydown, a get a lot more of the wood, which pulls this further away from being the gum scent, but meh. It would always remind me of Trident gum, and I would rather be chewing it, not smelling like it!

imp: i mostly just smell the cassia.

wet: this is sweet, smooth cassia. none of the other notes are clearly distinguishable.

dry: this smalls like indistinct sweet, spiced fruit. i can still clearly smell the cassia but it has mellowed. these notes are very well-blended.

This is such a lovely blend of red musk and gentle spices. There's a hint of floral and something sweet laced in there though. That "sweet" note, whatever it is, is almost a turn off if I focus on it, but the scent as a whole is great and very interesting for it.

That's nicer than anything I would expect a dodo to smell like. It's got a nice aromatic woodiness to it. Almost a fresh vegetable smell.

ADDED Feb. 4:

Kind of a hot spicy. A little bit of woody, and a touch of sweet. Chaotic.

A frimp from the lab. A very red scent, strangely both woody and foody, though not really my ball of wax. It's also quite sharp and spicy and has a lot of notes that come through beautifully, with the red musk, sandalwood and lemon being the strongest. I was really hoping the mango would come on through for me to lighten this up a little, but it never appeared - shame. Off to the swap pile.

Edited by voorishsign

Wet in the vial, I'm impressed. I quite like the cassia, red musk, and sandalwood together. It reminds me very much of my very favorite incense, Egyptian Goddess.

Immediately, I get a very sweet cinnamon, almost like the cinnamon hard candy my grandmother used to make and a very distinct musk, cut with something almost medicine-y (probably the agarwood) , similar to red oil for those of you in the south. Still very reminiscent of that incense, though, which is a good thing. Gotta be careful, though, because that medicine-y character and the cinnamon are almost overpowering when wet.

10-15 min. dry-down - Most of the cassia has toned down, so now I'm getting a lot of musk, sandalwood, and agarwood. It's a very resinous, sweet scent. Again, reminiscent of incense... kinda reminds me of the way head shops smell, amusingly enough.

1 hour dry-down - Heavy on the musk and agarwood, but the sandalwood is still there. There's a slightly sour note, possibly the lemon peel, that I can't quite place but it's not bad. I don't know that I'd buy a whole *bottle* of this one, but it's something I'd wear when I was bellydancing.

2 hour dry-down - Ok, I'm getting pretty much all musk and sandalwood now. This is not a bad thing. It's also gotten pretty faint by this point.

In theory, the Dodo sounds pretty tasty (except maybe for the evil lemon peel of doom). Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Upon skin testing, I was quoted as saying: "No wonder the dodo is extinct! It smells just wrong!"

The red musk gets all twisted up in the fruits on my skin and warps into an unsettling, uncoordinated bag of crazy. A very persistent crazy.

I find The Dodo to be a very interesting blend. The combination of cinnamon, sandalwood and agarwood with the red musk is what impressed me the most. It's warm, spicy, and resinous. It's got a little fruity sweetness at first, but not much, and the lemon is fleeting.

First time in a while an oil has smelled differently on me than in the bottle! In the imp, it smelled like sweet sandalwood. I put it on my wrist, and was rewarded with sugar cane. Half a minute or a minute later, it's sugary cinnamon. Same amount of time later, it's smelling woodsy. Next, definitively cinnamon and sandalwood. Now this is interesting! I like both cinnamon and sandalwood, but I don't know if I like them together... the sugar cane is strong on me, and is sweetening the blend beyond my tastes, but I'll let it mature.

Now the mango's coming out and this oil has an incredibly powerful throw scent of fruity gum. Lean in closer, and you smell the spice from the sandalwood. I think I like it. I also think it's mixing with the equally as powerful drop of Absinthe I got on my robe (almost all I can smell right now is minty anise, like it's burnt into my nose...) and the Penny Dreadful I'm sampling on the other wrist, which may or may not be flattering the Dodo.

I think that once the crazy party is over on my wrist and I focus on the smell, it smells like particularly fruity incense. I like fruity, I like incense, and I like fruity incense. I'm not head-over-heels in love with it on my skin, but the imp's a keeper, and this would probably be fantastic in an oil burner.

This smells remarkably better on me the next day (no more minty anise corrupting my sense of smell). I changed my mind, I may have to buy a big bottle of this.

Edited by Amaroq

In bottle: The cassia, sugar cane, and musk are fascinating together, but with the agarwood and lemon peel, it’s a little weird. Wet: My skin amps citrus and musk. On my skin, it’s way too much. I can now smell the mango, and while I love drinking mango juice, it is not working and playing well with others here. The jagged effect is probably my skin chemistry and I can easily imagine it working on someone who’s skin isn’t making at least three notes scream, throwing the whole thing out of balance. It has a luscious an playful affect even on me. Dry: The mango and sandalwood combination is lovely here, though the blend is still a touch odd. I think it’s mostly the red musk ands the way my skin amps it mixed with what’s left of the agarwood. Normally I like agarwood, but it’s just not working in this blend for me, again likely because of amped elements.

Received this as a frimp in one of my orders.

When I saw the notes for this scent I had high hopes but sadly I think my skin chemistry farked it up big time. In the imp, I get this strange cinnamony medicinal odor. I suspect this is the red musk and cassia. Once I have it on, the sugarcane and mango come out a bit but rather than rounding out the scent, they get overwhelmed by the initial notes I detected in the vial. After about an hour, I'm left with something that smells like mango cough syrup.

I'm going to set this one aside and let it age, but in the meantime no Dodo for me.

Edited by Kejiaron

Frimp. I am tired, but probably won't try this again, so here we go. I get cassia, wood and mango mainly, in this order. The cassia and wood together is just too much, it's a bit stale and graceless and on the verge of nauseating. However, it is a very interesting combination - kind of messing with your head when you try to decide if it is wrong, and how wrong. I might keep the imp around to show to people for nose training purposes. Or I might pass it on. Ha.

The dodo is spicy for sure.

Cassia smells nice with the sugar cane and lemon peel. This is reminiscent of a hot toddy with only a touch of booze. It smells surprisingly floral on me too..? Makes my mouth water a bit. there's a hint of mango but not enough to make me recoil.

As it dried down the wood came out nicely.

Not bad! I'll wear this again.

Surprisingly, despite the mango (I just don't like eating the things) this actually worked really well on me. Apparently mango as an oil on my skin smells very different from the taste of actual mango in my mouth. It's actually somewhat reminiscent of a more lighthearted version of Mircalla, especially with the red musk coming into play, and if I hadn't known the fruit was mango I would have thought it was plum, one of my favorite notes. :yum:

Edited by Invidiana

In the imp: Plastic Cinnamon.

Wet: It's not burning like cinnamon usually does. Sweet cinnamon gum.

Dry: Still cinnamon plastic. Smells a bit like Bengal, but not as musky and a bit fruity sweeter.

Overall: I love Cinnamon gum, but to chew it, not to wear it. Alas, this does not work for me. :(

Red musk is dominant on me, with lemon coming out second and lending an unfortunate hint of cleaning product to this. I don't get the spicy cassia that others were talking about here... barely a woodiness to the scent after 30 mins. The throw and snifing close to the skin are very different scents! Love the warm red musk-fruitiness of the throw, though the close scent is definitely medicinal/cleaning product. Not sure I like it or not.

Edited by gypsyjolie

This was one I didn't think to try myself, but was frimped it. I'm glad I was!

It reminds me of high school, but I'm not sure why. In the imp it smells very rootbeerlike. Lemony, citrusy sweet rootbeer. I can definitely smell the cinnamony candy scent others are getting too. Definitely get the sugarcane.

On: Very much the same as in the imp. Neat scent. Summery.

Dry: Wood comes out a bit if you look for it, but the rootbeer/cinnamon scent stays at the forefront. I'm not sure what red musk smells like, but I suspect it's adding the syrupy sweetness here. Sugarcane could be doing that as well.

Overall: Very interesting scent. I like it, but am not sure that it's one that would be a daily wear sort of scent.

Verdict: Probably keep the imp for when the mood strikes, but pass on a bottle.

I was hoping for more complexity from this blend. On me it's almost all cinnamon and red musk with a bit of sweetness in the background. It's super strong and lasts for hours without much morphing.

This isn't a blend I'd ever reach for again.

I LOVE this one! It was a total risk, as this is nothing like my typical perfume oils that I wear, but it totally paid off! It's a little spicy and a little tart and fruity. I smell the cassia a lot, and I catch hints of Sandalwood. This could quickly become a favorite. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Imp: sweet musk and sandalwood.

Wet on Me: a rather interesting scent. I get cassia, sandalwood, the red musk and the sugar cane. The blend is interesting.

Drying Down: this fades out very quickly.

Dry: I got faint faint musk/cassia/sweet/sandalwood. Not bad. Glad I got to try it.

The Dodo

CASSIA and red musk! I'm getting a little lemon now, too. Mmm, I like this! It's going a little bit potpourri/craft store in autumn, but I still like it. I'll hold onto the imp.