Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

I have two bottles of Glitter - one is the original Bewitching Brews version and is aged a few years. Its a beautiful bubbly scent, it smells like fizzing white wine with a touch of pear sweetness. Just stunning stuff.

I got a bottle of the ressurected version back in 06 and its nothing like it at all. Its pure bubble gum. Smells almost identical to hubba bubba strawberry.

I really really hope that its an age difference as my original Glitter is such a gorgeous scent. Alas, after about 5 months aging the ressurected one hasnt changed at all.

Has anyone else had this with the two versions of Glitter? Does anyone know what a fresh bottle of the original Glitter was like IE will my ressurected one smell like my older one in a couple of years?

x

Fittingly, there's something odd about the April '07 13. Mine's brown while other people say theirs is clear. :P Same scent, though.

Fittingly, there's something odd about the April '07 13. Mine's brown while other people say theirs is clear. :P Same scent, though.

It think it has to do with the cocoa part of the oil. I know some people say the GC oil Bliss separates like that as well, but my imp is perfectly clear. I wouldn't worry, just roll the oil before you use it. I guess it has something to do with how cocoa reacts as an oil. Sometimes it stays nice 'n clear and other times it separates out. There are a lot of cases of this with blends that come directly from the lab. Chalk it up to all natural goodness. Hee hee

Jenn

Edited by elfmaiden

My new bottle of Lyonesse smells nothing like the imp. For one thing it as a strong butter/caramel topnote that reminds me a lot of Dia De Los Muertos 2005, with some spices underneath it. It's supposed to have a vanilla topnote and be somewhat of a dry amber blend. I'm letting it dry but it still has that buttery note... I've emailed the lab. I'm convinced I got a mislabeled bottle, there is no way this is the same scent. :P

I don't understand the difference between aged Snake Oil and fresh Snake Oil. Can someone point me in the direction of a thread where the answer exists. I seem to be internetz challenged in regards to the search.

Mamacat, try looking in here for discussion on aging oils, and here for a topic all about Snake Oil. Hope you find what information you're looking for!

I've got two bottles of Mama-Ji, both purchased directly from the Lab, both smell very, very different. :P I'll have to take them both to will call to see what the Labbies think of it.

Months ago, I ordered an imp of O from the lab, and since getting it I've acquired another as a frimp from the lab. One of the imps is pale yellow and the other is a deeper, more orangey yellow and smells more honeyish. The viscosity appears the same in both. I can't for the life of me remember which one arrived first but one would only be two or three months older than the other.

Has one imp somehow aged heaps faster than the other? Or could it be just a component issue? What is the most usual colour for O? I'm torn whether to get a bottle or not, as the paler version disappears into my skin within an hour but the darker imp is beautiful honeyed gorgeousness.

I have two imps of Imp, and one of them is deep red while the other is pale pink. The red one smells more musky, but I have no idea which one is newer.

Punkie Night.

I am a HUGE fan of this.

And it can't be a different batches problem because this scent has only been released once for Autumn 2006, so it's not like it could be the natural differences in flora over different seasons or years factor as mentioned above.

The bottle I bought lab-direct (and what I consider to be the true scent) is amazing. Sharp but natural. Spicy. Autumn leaves, sparkling fresh pulpy cider with mulled spices and cranberry. The 'true' scent smells NOTHING like the Hesperides.

I have smelled nine bottles of Punkie Night in my time, and only two of them smelled 'true'. They were all from different BPAListas (or the lab), so statistically it would be VERY unlikely that so many BPAL swappers/sellers ripped me off.

The 'off' bottles smell (to me) like damp rotting wood and old wet apples, or sometimes like The Hesperides (a scent I don't like at all) and paint thinner.

I'm constantly buying/selling/swapping Punkie Night to find more of the specific scent I'm looking for. I consider the lab-direct scent that I got to be the true one. All my vendors assure me they got their Punkie Night lab-direct, and though some of them may be swindlers, I know all of them cannot likely be.

Are you making sure to roll them between your palms when you get them to re-mix them?

I've got two bottles of Mama-Ji, both purchased directly from the Lab, both smell very, very different. :P I'll have to take them both to will call to see what the Labbies think of it.

this thread just so reminds me of all saints 2005 abd 2006...

thanks be to the powers i received the "resinous and heady" all saints (2005 and 2006)

vs. the rosey and resinous variety...of course differerent strokes for different folks...

it truly is an amazing journey :D

Are you making sure to roll them between your palms when you get them to re-mix them?

Majorly. To an OCD degree.

Edited by Carmencita

Does anyone else get vetiver out of High John the Conqueror? My first bottle I got off the forum, and it smells like grape soda. A new bottle I got right from the lab smells like heavy vetiver...do you think it is mislabeled or is it some weird effect of aging?

ETA: I emailed the Lab and this is what they said: "The thing about HIGH JOHN is that it is one of the only scents that consistantly varies in scent; something about the extraction process does not guarantee uniformity in scent, plus the more it ages, the more the scent changes. We get pure HIGH JOHN extracted from the actual root, and it never has the same smell twice; unfortunately, it’s the nature of the beast, so-to-speak, so there’s no real remedy for this situation. Hope you have a great day!"

Of course it goes to figure that natural plant oils would not be the same from time to time...I guess I'm more surprised that they ARE the same, or same enough from batch to batch! But it does help answer my question :P

i had a pretty similar experience with my high john the conqueror, but never emailed the lab about it, so i'm glad to get a more satisfactory answer than just "there are batch differences." my imp was quite grapey, but my bottle was STRONGLY cedar. it's interesting to find out that the high john root itself is what causes the wide scent differences. i find that it's voodoo efficacy is the same, regardless of its scent. and, after a few months, it is finally mellowing out, but i doubt it will ever become that light grape that my imp had. i have to use my bottle very sparingly since the scent is so strong. it's hard to get other scents to mask it.

I've had a recent problem with this issue, with Snow White 2005. Got an imp, and just fell in love.....a very bright, crisp, light scent - and the oil was clear in the imp.

Wrangled my way into buying a 1/2 bottle (whee! lucky me) and when I got it.....it's a heavier scent, and is almost perfumey. When I sucked a little bit up into a pipette to transfer to an imp for traveling, the oil is a light yellow.

Anyone else had this issue????

Also, is there any scent difference between the orig LE Misk U and the current GC Misk U?

thanks all!! :P

I've had a recent problem with this issue, with Snow White 2005. Got an imp, and just fell in love.....a very bright, crisp, light scent - and the oil was clear in the imp.

Wrangled my way into buying a 1/2 bottle (whee! lucky me) and when I got it.....it's a heavier scent, and is almost perfumey. When I sucked a little bit up into a pipette to transfer to an imp for traveling, the oil is a light yellow.

Anyone else had this issue????

Also, is there any scent difference between the orig LE Misk U and the current GC Misk U?

thanks all!! :P

to me the original LE Misk U and current GC Misk U are

very much the same...

as far as snow white goes, it is not perfumey in the least so i am not

sure what the dealio is with your bottle...

I had an imp of The Red Queen which I fell in love with, so I ordered a bottle from the lab.

Now when I put the imp on, I get no reaction - just the lovely cherry/woody smell.

From the bottle I have a nasty allergic reaction (I put it on one morning and next thing I knew my arms, chest and neck were red and lumpy).

:P

Bah humbug!

I just got a frimp of Dracul from the lab with my last order. I was suprised and disappointed to discover that the new one is not at all like the one I got 3 years ago. I mean not even a little. The first one had lots of mint in the beginning and then settled into a strong spicy scent. The new one is almost non-existent on me. I can smell the ghost of what my original smelled like but I have to concentrate. And I slathered it. Weird.

[this thread just so reminds me of all saints 2005 abd 2006...

thanks be to the powers i received the "resinous and heady" all saints (2005 and 2006)

vs. the rosey and resinous variety...of course differerent strokes for different folks...

it truly is an amazing journey :P

YES! All Saints was one of the first scents I picked up, and it was sooo heavenly, "resinous and heady". So, I go all out and buy 2 from separate people, and all I am getting is that rose smell......

SO I sell them to other people, and I got accused of messing with the scent.

I just wanted more of what I fell in love with.... :D

Ihave a question about a bottle of Kunstkammer I obtained a few months ago.

The oil was clear when I received it, but it looks quite cloudy in the bottle now. From what I can tell it smells the same, and it's been stored in a totally dark box in my bedroom. Should I be concerned?

i don't have kunstkammer, but my 1.5 year old bottle of morroco did that quite some time ago. i think it's just a normal aging/settling thing with some oils. my morroco also smells fine. as long as it still smells good, i wouldn't worry.

ETA: a update on my bottle of high john the conqueror: i had one of those very woody, almost vetiver like high johns. after six months or so, it's now calming down and i'm starting to get a bit of the sweet grapish note that a "normal" high john the conqueror has.

Edited by concrescence

i don't have kunstkammer, but my 1.5 year old bottle of morroco did that quite some time ago. i think it's just a normal aging/settling thing with some oils. my morroco also smells fine. as long as it still smells good, i wouldn't worry.

Thanks for that input! I have another question about this same bottle of Kunstkammer, which has to do with what appears to be the oils separating (the top layer is not quite as milky as the bottom layer). Is this still not something I should be concerned about? I have searched for this, but I didn't find any other mention of this occurring.

Thanks for that input! I have another question about this same bottle of Kunstkammer, which has to do with what appears to be the oils separating (the top layer is not quite as milky as the bottom layer). Is this still not something I should be concerned about? I have searched for this, but I didn't find any other mention of this occurring.

Does it recombine when you roll the bottle? If I does, I wouldn't be too worried - just remember to roll your bottle before applying. I know there's some oils that come straight from the lab seperated a bit (like anything with cocoa absolute).

Help, I think one of my bottles of Geek has gone bad! :P

My first bottle I got with only an Imp's worth in it. It is a beautiful, rich scent and I love it, but it is sadly running out.

I bought a full bottle to replace it. However, the full bottle smells very sharp, almost medicine-like, very aftershave-ish, with none of the mellow vibe or the sweet drydown that I love about my other bottle.

Is this full bottle newer or older? (I have no idea, I got them both second-hand.) Do I need to "age" the full one? And what do I do if it has gone bad or was part of a radically different batch?

Help :D :D