Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

I've noticed some pretty significant batch differences in GC oils. For example, I've had several imps of Fae which were sparkling peach and orange, but my bottle smells distinctly dark green and mostly bergamot, no fizz at all. And my daughter and I both have bottles of Vixen, but they don't smell much alike (hers is very vanilla). The colour can vary a lot from batch to batch too. I think it's because the oils are natural, not synthetic. It can be pretty annoying at times. Aging, on the other hand, is a special type of magic! If in doubt, put it away and test it a year later!

I have Tombeur from 2015 and Tombeur from 2010. Is your label on Tombeur the same label art as the current label art on the website (male vampire bting a woman)? Or does your label look like it has older art (3 people on the label)?

In the bottle: newer Tombeur to me smells dominantly of juicy (slightly fruity) blood musk with almond and vanilla-infused sandalwood whereas older Tombeur (from 2010) smells dominantly of lavender, amber, and snake oil.

Both of them smell completely different to me. I own Dorian and Dorian definitely does not smell anything like Tombeur.

I would contact the lab if you purchased your bottles from the lab. Also if you just received your package in the mail, I suggest letting the bottles sit for a few days to settle. Shipping and temperature changes can change how perfumes smell temporarily. I hope this helps and I hope you can figure out what is wrong. :)

Edited by VioletVorpal

Straight from the lab, and from the mail.

I'll give them a few days to settle and I'll reach out to the lab then probably. I'd like to be accurate in what I'm smelling.

Edit: I'm starting to lean towards the idea that maybe the labels on the French Love and Tombeur maybe just got switched. My husband disagrees that what is in the Tombeur labelled bottle is French Love - he says it's too perfumy and there's no dragon's blood (the part he loves the most). Whatever smelled like Dorian has settled down. It's not that. What a weird little nose twister this has been.

Edited by Lydialove

Hm. Can anyone who has both Dragon's Hide and Dragon's Musk tell me how they differ? I got a frimp of Dragon's Musk in my latest order, but I sniffed and tested it and it smells JUST like Dragon's Hide - I swear I'm getting the leather and smoke, even. I'd definitely smell SOME musky notes if it were Dragon's Musk, right? Or do I just really amp dragon's blood?

I have a batch variation with my two bottles of L'Autunno- both released and only available during the same limited timeframe. One is an orangey red, and the other is clear, slightly yellowed. The orangey red version is deeper, darker (heavier on the smoke, myrrh and patchouli), and smells more cologne-y masculine, while the slightly yellowed one is closer to a 2008 empty (of the same perfume) I have. They both dry down similar, but the journey to get from wet to dry is wildly different... so much that one bottle is unwearable while the other is wear-all-the-time material. It kind of makes me wonder there are other scents I should gamble batch variation on and just try again, XD ahh neverending cycle. You think youre done with a scent, but then learn that's never the case <__>

I have a batch variation with my two bottles of L'Autunno- both released and only available during the same limited timeframe. One is an orangey red, and the other is clear, slightly yellowed. The orangey red version is deeper, darker (heavier on the smoke, myrrh and patchouli), and smells more cologne-y masculine, while the slightly yellowed one is closer to a 2008 empty (of the same perfume) I have. They both dry down similar, but the journey to get from wet to dry is wildly different... so much that one bottle is unwearable while the other is wear-all-the-time material. It kind of makes me wonder there are other scents I should gamble batch variation on and just try again, XD ahh neverending cycle. You think youre done with a scent, but then learn that's never the case <__>

I try not to torture myself this way but the thought does cross my mind, especially when the reviews seem divided into two different scents!

I try not to torture myself this way but the thought does cross my mind, especially when the reviews seem divided into two different scents!

All the wonderful scents we would never know we could actually be missing out on :(

Hi! I hope this is the right place. If I have two samples of an oil & they're different colors, is it most likely a batch difference or is one probably just older than the other? Which one would you keep?

Edited by sylvis

Hi! I hope this is the right place. If I have two samples of an oil & they're different colors, is it most likely a batch difference or is one probably just older than the other? Which one would you keep?

What scent is it, if I might ask?

It could be both, especially if you got one (or both) from another BPAL fan vs. the Lab. I'd keep whichever one works better on you.

What scent is it, if I might ask?

Hi! There are several; Blood Kiss, Dragon's Milk, Aizen-Myoo, Lilium Inter-Spinas, Bastet, off the top of my head. There could be a few more.

It could be either. I have noticed ambers tend to become redder as they age. I started writing the dates when I receive imps on the labels so I could compare how they age.

Dang. After getting through a couple of imps of 'Tis the Voice of the Lobster, I decided I liked it enough to order a bottle.. But instead of the woods & red fruits I enjoyed, it is much more strongly musk & mandarin. Really don't like citrus on me, I am disappoint.. :sad:

Dang. After getting through a couple of imps of 'Tis the Voice of the Lobster, I decided I liked it enough to order a bottle.. But instead of the woods & red fruits I enjoyed, it is much more strongly musk & mandarin. Really don't like citrus on me, I am disappoint.. :sad:

oh no! maybe it has to sit awhile? =\

I've had it for a few weeks, it should have settled by now. I think it's just rather extreme batch variation. Such a different perfume I may not keep it, barring magical transformation with age..
On the plus side, someone who normally finds this blend too strawberry-hard-candy might really like this version! :tongue:

Edit to add: Haha, the Lab sent me another frimp of it with my last order! Be interesting to see if this one is different again..

Edited by spikyfairy

Do we have a thread to discuss this already? I searched and couldn't find one, but mods please merge if there is one (and I apologize).

There have been some sort of "famous" batch variations, like Infernal Lover - the version that had no red musk.

I also had a heart breaking incident with Gnome where I had at least 5 imps that all smelled like Ginger Ale, but when I ordered a bottle it smelled like motor oil....*shudder*. Haven't had the heart to try again.

Now I am heartbroken by Bensiabel. I have three imps, they all look somewhat aged. They all smell primarily of plum, with hints of soft leather and lilac. They are beautiful.

I didn't want to wait until it comes back in stock at the Lab, who knows how long that will be, so I hunted down a bottle on the Facebook groups. I opened it to sniff before labelling it, and was like WHOA leather. That was not what I remembered! So I got out my imps, tested them all against the bottle - NOT THE SAME. All three imps are identical, but this bottle is all leather, which is not a favourite and not what I wanted. I'm pretty sad! Anyone else experience this batch variation? Or can you tell me if this is an age thing? I do think imps age faster than bottles, so can I hope some of the leather with age out of my bottle eventually?

Please post your own batch variation woes!

Thank you Celestia!

Mods, sorry for the somewhat duplicate type thread, not sure if you want to merge it or not.

Bensiabel is not mentioned in that other thread that I can find, so my question remains, anyone have any thoughts? :D

I think it's not specific to Bensiabel, but all the other scents name dropped in that thread share the same or similar issues, so while your particular scent might not be explicitly listed, the thoughts surrounding them might answer your questions :D

I just went to the other thread to check if I'd already talked about Hesiod's Phoenix, and.... yep, there's my post! It's one of those things I'll probably still be muttering about on my deathbed.... (croaky voice) "Did I ever tell you about the time I ordered backup bottles of Hesiod's Phoenix and there was a batch variation? *sputtery cough* My original bottle even had the MISSPELLED LABEL! They don't make 'em like that anymore!"

It's always a bad surprise to find batch variations in the GC, but at least I can understand how a year or two between batches could result in some differences. But an LE, with all bottles (in theory) made and bought within a few months? What the heck!?!?
The good news is that a few years of aging seems to have resolved the issue.

I know I had an imp of Bensiabel at one point, but I can't remember if I still have it and can't remember what it smelled like, either, so I'm no help there, sorry. :( If it were me, I'd put the new bottle away to age and see what happens. Can't hurt, right?

I just went to the other thread to check if I'd already talked about Hesiod's Phoenix, and.... yep, there's my post! It's one of those things I'll probably still be muttering about on my deathbed.... (croaky voice) "Did I ever tell you about the time I ordered backup bottles of Hesiod's Phoenix and there was a batch variation? *sputtery cough* My original bottle even had the MISSPELLED LABEL! They don't make 'em like that anymore!"

It's always a bad surprise to find batch variations in the GC, but at least I can understand how a year or two between batches could result in some differences. But an LE, with all bottles (in theory) made and bought within a few months? What the heck!?!?

The good news is that a few years of aging seems to have resolved the issue.

I know I had an imp of Bensiabel at one point, but I can't remember if I still have it and can't remember what it smelled like, either, so I'm no help there, sorry. :( If it were me, I'd put the new bottle away to age and see what happens. Can't hurt, right?

OMG - I totally didn't check my backup of Hesiods to make sure it was the same as my original...I have no clue whether either have the misspelled label. I guess I had better check!

I am totally keeping this bottle of Bensiabel, after all the time I spent looking for it, and the lovely person who took to time to answer my DISO and send it to me....yes, I'll keep it and just keep my fingers crossed!

I noted it in the testing thread but now that I've compared then both, I admit it's strange for a batch variation...mostly because it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else in the reviews.

I have two versions of Mother Ghost... One is a light pale yellow oil which prompted me to hunt down a bottle, while the bottle I have on hand is an ambery red (which I understand happens with amber aging). This redder version has more vanilla and amber .. And smells a whole lot deeper and richer than the one from the decant. Also strange because certainly the oil in the decant is supposed to age faster than the bottle, hah... Also peculiar because the vanilla from the redder version smells more like vanilla bean SN... Much different from the vanilla presented as the pale yellow oil, which is a lot lighter.

Once again, thigh, I'm scrutinising the peculiarity of another bottle with not much time between the release being so different to each other. I can't even use "age" as an excuse for difference (last time this happened was with L'Autunno, also with the red-end oil)

I'm wondering whether I should hunt the pale yellow version too.. because, I did seek out a bottle because of it DX

I noted it in the testing thread but now that I've compared then both, I admit it's strange for a batch variation...mostly because it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else in the reviews.

I have two versions of Mother Ghost... One is a light pale yellow oil which prompted me to hunt down a bottle, while the bottle I have on hand is an ambery red (which I understand happens with amber aging). This redder version has more vanilla and amber .. And smells a whole lot deeper and richer than the one from the decant. Also strange because certainly the oil in the decant is supposed to age faster than the bottle, hah... Also peculiar because the vanilla from the redder version smells more like vanilla bean SN... Much different from the vanilla presented as the pale yellow oil, which is a lot lighter.

Once again, thigh, I'm scrutinising the peculiarity of another bottle with not much time between the release being so different to each other. I can't even use "age" as an excuse for difference (last time this happened was with L'Autunno, also with the red-end oil)

I'm wondering whether I should hunt the pale yellow version too.. because, I did seek out a bottle because of it DX

I have two decants and a bottle of Mother Ghost, all are pale yellow and smell identical (which musk dominant on me, and utterly gorgeous). I had planned on getting a back-up bottle and now I'm worried it won't smell like the MG I love! Is the white musk still detectable in the reddish coloured one you have?

I totally had no idea there was a batch variation for this...

I have two decants and a bottle of Mother Ghost, all are pale yellow and smell identical (which musk dominant on me, and utterly gorgeous). I had planned on getting a back-up bottle and now I'm worried it won't smell like the MG I love! Is the white musk still detectable in the reddish coloured one you have?

I totally had no idea there was a batch variation for this...

The current summer weather and my current chemistry change also means that this could very well be different to be again by November. So take with a grain of salt.So to be honest, it makes it sooooo hard to say, I'm afraid..

Both versions are utterly gorgeous and spectacular on me. I might have to track down the normal pale yellow one to have both versions (and because as I'm mentioned earlier, it was the version I fell in love with)... One feels like a summer version while the other feels more suited for winter...

I could definitely pick up the white musk and orchid in both versions, it's just the amber version was a lot more deeper, richer and sensual.. it had this added overlay of vanilla bean SN (or some stronger concoction of vanilla amber) lol

fwiw... I had no idea there was a batch variation for MG either...until I had them both in (and on) my hands.

And if it helps any, no one else seems to have reviewed the version I got, so chances of you getting it will probably be very rare. So you should be safe!

Edited by celestia

I got a bottle of Wynter Wakeneth in a swap yesterday, the oil is separated into two layers. The bottom layer is clear as most of my bottles are, the top layer, which is about 3/4 of the oil, looks kind of like it is in frosted glass. If I roll it to try and combine the layers it looks almost bubbly. Is anyone else's like this, have I been sent a dodgy swap or might it come right after letting it rest for a while? I have never had a bottle go like this in more than 10 years of using BPAL so am a little worried :(

Edited by faylie