Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

Have revived this thread to ask a quick question...

Has anyone else received a bottle of Golden Priapus lately? Between us Purely_cosmetic and I have tried 4 imps of Golden Priapus, and liked it enough to buy 5ml's. However, when our bottes arrived this morning the blend was significantly different. The consistency is almost sticky, and it is much heavier on the juniper and lighter on the Vanilla. I know Harri was sad about it as it is her signature scent, and whilst it isn't my signature scent I was a little saddened by the difference too. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the formulation? Also there's a chance that the imp I had was older... anyone know how Golden Priapus matures? I'm wondering if the vanilla might become more pronounced with time. Any input would be much appreciated :P

I thought I saw some random mentions of this awhile back but not a whole topic so I just wanted to ask: I received a bottle of Morocco in my last order (March) and honestly, when I smelled it in the bottle I was really taken aback. It really smelled very different from the imp I had - there was a sharpness to the scent that I never had with the imp, a kind of green/woody bite that seemed very off. I remember smelling the imp for the first time and it was very definitely a creamy/spicy smell, rich and lovely. It pretty much went on the same way as well so I was really looking forward to the bottle, as my imp has long since been used.

I actually thought when I smelled the bottle the first time that I had received the wrong blend - but the bottle was marked 'Morocco' so I kind of left it at that. Today I tried it for the first time and it just smells...well, wrong. That green sharpness is prominent, with a bite of of almost bitter herbs. If I put my nose right to my skin there's almost a soapy smell as well. It's really kind of frustrating and depressing, actually, just because it is almost nothing like my previous experience of it. This is the first time this has happened when I've bought a bottle of a scent - I mean, yes, with the hand blending and all I don't expect every bottle of a scent to smell *exactly* the same but there really is a marked disparity between this bottle and the imp.

Has the formulation changed at all? That's all I can think of to explain the discrepancy. I'm going to try it a few more times, of course, but honestly, if the scent remains like this I'm thinking of swapping the bottle because it's just not what it was. :P

Edited by sagitare

I can't comment on Morocco, but myself and PC had a similar experience with Golden priapus a while ago. We'd tried 4 or 5 imps between us and they were all similarly yummy. The 5ml was very different though, although still recognisable as GP. I'm considering swapping it away :P

Maybe you got a mislabled bottle?

Old Morocco starts off very biting, but as it ages, it becomes much creamier and rich like in most imps. Part of the problem is that oils age prematurely in the clear glass imps -- there's no light filtration in imps as opposed to bottles.

My recommendation is to stop up your bottle and let it sit a month without touching it, then open it up and see how much better it is to your nose, then decide whether or not to close it again. And go like that. I did that with Gingerbread Poppet to age the molasses note, and now it's utterly fantastic. It took about 5 months to age it to the point I could wear it and recognize it as my happy, joyous Poppet!

Aaaaah, interesting, t3andcrumpets! I never would have thought of that - a great recommendation, thank you! I'll do just that, then. (I'd really hate to swap it away because it's one of my favorites.)

Pookstrell, mine is like that, i.e. there's a very faint hint of the 'old' Morocco, if you will, in this but I kind of have to work to find it, so to speak. If what t3andcrumpets suggests works out it'll be quite the thing because I never would have thought that the aging process could effect that much of a change on a scent!

Edited by sagitare

I'm aging my bottle of Morocco, too. And also my Gingerbread Poppet. Right now, Morocco smells too dry and sharp--so unlike my imp was. And Gingerbread Poppet still smells too much like curry. So I'm waiting until the spices mellow out...hopefully, it'll smell yummy and gingerbread-like after a few more months.

This topic on Morocco was brought up on the lj when the forum was down and Beth herself said there was no formula change. I'd go search for it, but it would take me days to sift through all the lj posts.

I just got an imp of Scherezade as lagniappe and whoa, mama is it different than the old one I have! :P

My old one is yellow and smells mostly like saffron with a hint of musk. My new one is dark, dark red-brown to the point of being almost black and it smells extremely musky.

I like them both, but that it was a pretty big surprise to see how different they looked and then smelling them.

I think I'm going to go with the "brain fart" theory to explain my two imps of Hemlock.

They smell very different from one another (one is a light citrus and green scent, while the other is distinctly floral). They are also entirely different colors (one is pale green, while the other is yellow).

I doubt there was a formula change, as I received the two imps near the same date.

It doesn't bother me all that much, but I wish I knew what the fake Hemlock really was...

Edited by Chirp

I think I'm going to go with the "brain fart" theory to explain my two imps of Hemlock.

They smell very different from one another (one is a light citrus and green scent, while the other is distinctly floral). They are also entirely different colors (one is pale green, while the other is yellow).

I doubt there was a formula change, as I received the two imps near the same date.

It doesn't bother me all that much, but I wish I knew what the fake Hemlock really was...

If it helps at all Chirp, my Hemlock is a pale green and is a very green smelling like eucalyptus with no hint of floral (to my nose anyways).

I imagine they're just from different batches and you just happened to get them near the same time. Some scents seem to be prone to smelling (and sometimes looking) very different depending on the batch they came from.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong, but it seems to be the most logical explanation to me. :D

I know Morocco is one of those ones that seems to vary quite a bit and Scherezade was entirely different the last time I got it (didn't smell the same, didn't even look the same), so it's definitely not unheard of. :P

Wow, it has been amazing some of the differences. I know that I had recently gotten another imp of hamadryad. The first one was dark brown and very cinnamon, the second one was light green and not cinnamony at all! They were both from the lab, so no funny business going on, but i suppose between again, variances in the organic oils etc...it's possible that they can change a lot.

I had no idea that we were supposed to roll the bottle before decanting - DOH. At least i'm rough handled enough that i probably always shake them, but this is excellent to know!

I wonder if you can age oils quicker the same as wine. I had read that with wine, when you have a crap bottle, if you decant it into a wide mouth container and let it expose to air for an hour or so, it will taste like it's been aged a few years. Could that work with oils? Can they be left uncapped with a gentle shake around for a couple hours and age them quicker than just letting them sit for months???

I know some people have tried "airing" their oils. :P

Try this thread...I know there was a discussion about it not too long ago: Aging BPAL. :D

I know some people have tried "airing" their oils. :P

Try this thread...I know there was a discussion about it not too long ago: Aging BPAL. :D

Thank you Ms. Penance! I'm an alzeheimer case waiting to happen, so even if i know i read something, i can rarely find it till someone bumps it with a new post!

Thank you thank you!

Thank you Ms. Penance! I'm an alzeheimer case waiting to happen, so even if i know i read something, i can rarely find it till someone bumps it with a new post!

Thank you thank you!

You're very welcome! :D :P

Hey, I just got a new imp labeled Hamadryad (which I've had several previous imps of) and I put some on yesterday and it smelled nothing like I remembered, in fact, it smelled overwhelmingly of apples with a touch of caramel. I kept waiting for it to morph, but I'm convinced it's actually Hesperides in an imp labeled Hamadryad. I also can't remember for sure, but I was also fairly certain it should have been a darker in color.

I got two tarted imps of Tarot: Justice from swaps. One is a very light, citrus-y, green tea type of scent, which is consistent with most of the reviews for Justice. The other starts out as a green-tinged violet that morphs into a kind of caramelly sweet amber-based scent, which was also smelled by exactly one reviewer - strangely enough, this is not the person who swapped me the imp. I know that this imp of Justice is not Sybaris, because my skin would've amped up the clove to unbearable levels.

Anyone who has tried Justice but not reviewed it yet, please tell me how it smells on you!

Aren't there two Justices

ETA: I swear, I thought there were two Justice scents, but there weren't two review threads for Justice. Hmm...

Edited by tart

Hey, I just got a new imp labeled Hamadryad (which I've had several previous imps of) and I put some on yesterday and it smelled nothing like I remembered, in fact, it smelled overwhelmingly of apples with a touch of caramel.  I kept waiting for it to morph, but I'm convinced it's actually Hesperides in an imp labeled Hamadryad.  I also can't remember for sure, but I was also fairly certain it should have been a darker in color.

I am 100% positive that this imp of Hamadryad I have is The Hesperides lol. I KNOW it's the Hesperides, it smells exactly the same and I had the same reaction to it. Luckily, Phaedra is being kind enough to send me her very NOT appley imp of Hamadryad to me so I can experience the wonderful cinnamon that interested me in Hamadryad to begin with! :P

Hi, newbie here - hope this is the right place to pose this question. I received an imp of Dragon's Bone in a swap and instantly fell in love with it - like many of the descriptions on the review thread it was a lovely rounded, smooth sandalwood. Sadly, the 5ml I bought on the back of this just smells overpoweringly sweet and fruity and I just can't wear it. :P Is there anything I can do to make it more sandalwoody?

I'm wondering if the lab has changed their recipe for Tum...now, my imp of it smells of honeyed grape juice/wine with spices. Not one that is loved by all, but I really love it. However, a lot of people seem to be picking up lavender in their Tum reviews, and also a lack of fruitiness...

Morocco is another one that has dramatic scent differences. The first imp I got of it was very woody and a bit masculine, but now I have an imp with more of the spice/carnation and I love it.

Hmm. The 10ml of (Old) Morocco I received today smells nothing like any of the imps/bottles I'm in love with. :P

This is very woody--almost straight Cedar. No cream, no spice. *sigh

If the lab won't fix it, I'll have to send it to Penance. :D

Has anyone else received a wonky Morocco?

If it smelled even remotely similar I'd hang onto it to see if it will improve with age.

*sigh Off to write the lab.

I'm a little late to this party, but for the record - I had this exact experience with my bottle of Morocco. All I smelled was cedar (or more likely, red sandalwood) - and not the slightest hint of the carnation note I love. I emailed the lab & got the OK to send it back. In its place, I got back an absolutely *perfect* bottle of Morocco. (Thank you BPAL! :D )