Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

I was thinking this same thing about the Lupers. I don't think I'm going to get any bottles this round because I already bought multiple decants of the ones I want and I don't think I need to upgrade. I also didn't realize that component amounts were so limited.

It must be hard trying to buy enough to make the bottles you need, but not so much that you have it sitting around. I sometimes wonder about the random supplies of fragrance materrials, like where would you even find someone selling them? There must be this whole unseen supply chain that ends up going into BPAL.

Glad to have this thread so easy to find ... I was updating my collection over the last few days (making sure my swap list was accurate and updating my keepers) and noticed that of my three imps of Malice, one was very dark (an older imp) and the two I had just bought from the Lab are quite light. I am chalking this up to aging, but admit that, at least IN the imp, the old one smells a little funky so wonder if it's just not aging well.

However, I'm also sad to read that the "new" -- or at least current -- Gnome is NOT what it is in my imps, because I was about to add it to my "upgrade to a big bottle" list ... I have two imps (well, a full imp and a little over half an imp, both from the Lab as frimps originally) and it's pale and smells like ginger ale. End of story.

ETA: Both of my Gnome imps from the Lab must have come some time in 2013, because I had reviewed it in early 2013 when I was testing from an imp I'd received as a frimp from someone (and it was also ginger-ale-y and light). Since then, I got two more frimps from the Lab and both are light and fizzy.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

I got an imp of Dee from a friend who saved all of her "masculine" imps for me (somehow I completely missed that at DragonCon, there were a lot of imps for the taking. Fortunately for me she did not miss this). I loved Dee instantly - whenever I would wear it, I could only describe the fragrance as "handsome". My reaction to it was completely emotional, so of course I got a bottle of it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't smell the same in the bottle as it does in the imp. I can detect similarities (I still have a little bit of the imp left, which I am preserving), but the bottle is weaker than the imp and goes kind of powdery on me after a few hours, where as the imp stays handsome all day.

I know some people have talked about various fragrances needing to age a little, and by the time I got the imp it had already been a little while since DragonCon. I also tend to assume that the imps age a little faster just because the seal on the bottle isn't as snug as with a screw-on cap. Has anyone had this same experience with Dee? Should I just let it rest for a while and try back later?

Like with all bpals, aging tends to bring out musks, vanillas and other base notes. So it can't hurt to let it age in a dark place for a year or two. However, batch variation is very likely. In the imp of Dee, what is the masculine vibe you get? Woodsy? Musky? Leather? From what I read, Dee contains paper and tonka notes which has the potential to turn powdery.

Like with all bpals, aging tends to bring out musks, vanillas and other base notes. So it can't hurt to let it age in a dark place for a year or two. However, batch variation is very likely. In the imp of Dee, what is the masculine vibe you get? Woodsy? Musky? Leather? From what I read, Dee contains paper and tonka notes which has the potential to turn powdery.

Dee is also one of the names that has come up quite a few times in recent history in the batch variation thread. :(

It also appears that some imps have been sitting around BPAL longer than others which might have an effect. I've gotten two imps of the same scent in a single order from the Lab and the imps had different style labels, indicating that they are not from the same batch.

The masculine vibe I get off of it is a cologne sort of fragrance, maybe a musk-y scent. You mention aging it in a dark place - is darkness particularly helpful to the aging in some way? Right now it's sitting out on the counter in my bathroom, so it does get light exposure.

It makes me really sad to know that Dee has shown up in batch variations discussions!

Light can alter the scent over time. It's a process that takes some time though. If it's something you use on a daily basis that you'll go through in a couple of months, you're probably okay leaving it out. If you only use it occasionally, like for special occasions or perhaps you rotate through several scents, then it's a good idea to store it someplace dark, like a box in a closet, to protect it.

You mention aging it in a dark place - is darkness particularly helpful to the aging in some way? Right now it's sitting out on the counter in my bathroom, so it does get light exposure.

Darkness doesn't accelerate the aging process, but prevents oxidation of the oil from the constant heating, cooling and uv exposure. Which is why all bpals are sold in dark amber bottles which helps block sunlight. As long as its not on a windowsill it should be fine.

I also find that imps age faster. What takes 1-2 years in a bottle can sometimes take as little as 6-9 months in an imp depending on the oil.

Dee changed a lot as it aged for me -- I got a fresh-from-Lab imp in mid-January, for instance, and hated the way it smelled on me but suspected that it would age well. Six weeks later, it was a noticeably different scent. (One I liked!)

On me, the first attempt was definitely powder within half an hour, and after aging the powder was gone, so I suspect your bottle does just need aging. Store it somewhere cool and dry for six months and then try again! It might take longer, because bottles are amber while imps are clear, and the clear glass lets more light through -- it ages the oil faster. (It also makes the oil break down faster, so it's a double-edged sword.) If six months go by and you're still getting powder from it, maybe try decanting a small amount into the imp you already have and letting that age faster.

Gnome update... It's true, the "official" Gnome is nothing at all like the first round of Gnome. :( Here's a side-by-side photo with an old imp and a recent imp so you can see the dramatic color difference:

As mentioned above, the old, light-colored Gnome has lots of fizzy ginger. The dark-colored Gnome is a much deeper-feeling, brown-toned scent; the dark oily "gear lubricant" is most prominent in the imp, followed by a woody note and a hint of smoke. There is no detectable ginger in the dark-colored version.

I don't care for this version at all, and am sad to have lost the Gnome I loved...

I keep wondering if it's safe to order a bottle again in the hopes of getting the oil I actually wanted. This dark one seems like an error no one will cop to, frankly. It doesn't match the description at all, while the older one did. It would be nice if someone would acknowledge an official change and alter the scent description to reflect it, or acknowledge the mistake and fix it. I don't even begrudge the money, frankly, I just want the bubbly ginger.

This sounds like the issue I had with Dee last year. :( I have an ancient 4oz bottle and a 5ml from 2012 that smell amazing, and 2 bottles from 2013 that don't remotely smell the same.

I've only been back about 8 mos. after a yearlong sabbatical and already have had huge discrepancies in Antique and 2 other 5ml. So, naturally I was interested in this thread. I decided to write you since Dee is an old fave and it's about time to buy a bottle but now ... ??? I dunno. Has anyone every asked for a refund or talked to Beth about this expensive and disheartening problem? If so, I'd love to hear the outcome.

It's so funny you bumped this! I was actually coming to write that I was going through my backup box last night and for some reason decided to sniff both bottles of Dee that were "wrong". The oldest of the two now smells almost the same as the Dee I love, and the other one is getting closer as well. I initially fell in love with it from an aged imp, but the first Lab bottle I bought smelled the same as that imp, so I just assumed it didn't change much with aging. But now I'm wondering if somehow that first Lab bottle had already been aged when I got it and I just don't like the smell of fresh Dee?

I have an imp of Lyonesse that is the most lovely vanilla ever, so I swapped for a bottle and they smell nothing alike. The imp is a warm, sexy vanilla. The bottle is incense. I get no vanilla or floral from it at all. Completely different. Both are aged (imp 4+ years, bottle 1+ year). Do batches really vary this much? I was thinking of ordering another bottle of Lyonesse in the hoopes of getting the lovely vanilla. Thanks!

There are definitely some batch variations from time to time.

On top of that, though, 3 years is a pretty big time difference for aging, particularly when the older one is an imp, which age faster than bottles anyway.

Vanilla is something that comes out a lot with age, too. :)

There's a thread floating around dedicated to this question, but for the life of me I can't remember what subforum it is in.

Silly me. Found it! http://www.bpal.org/topic/3142-different-smellscolors-same-perfume/page__st__575

Edited by Saffrin

There can be the rare huge differences between batches, but usually its due to age. Especially when comparing an imp to a bottles, as imps age much quicker (clear glass as opposed to amber/cobalt, more susceptible to temp changes due to smaller size/more surface area, etc).

Although if they truly smell nothing alike, then it may be a case of mislabeling.

I also notice that if they are variations (age/batch) on the same formula, they often dry down similarly even if they start out smelling pronouncedly different. If they smell totally different on drydown, it's even more likely it was a mislabeling case.

I also notice that if they are variations (age/batch) on the same formula, they often dry down similarly even if they start out smelling pronouncedly different. If they smell totally different on drydown, it's even more likely it was a mislabeling case.

Its totally different. I get no vanilla from it whatsoever. I suspected it may be a mislabel, but who knows. I think I will just go ahead and order a bottle and compare :wub2:

Its totally different. I get no vanilla from it whatsoever. I suspected it may be a mislabel, but who knows. I think I will just go ahead and order a bottle and compare :wub2:

If it's at all helpful, I've smelled two Lyonesse imps, and both were "warm, sexy vanilla," not incense =D So I'm guessing (even though mileage may vary) this is a mislabeling case. Happened to me recently too. I bought a bottle of Winter Heavens after smelling a decant. Totally different. After researching, I realize the bottle is the real WH and the decant was a mislabel. Of course, the annoying thing is that when this happens, one doesn't know what the mislabeled item really was, which makes it hard to trade off if you want to get rid of it :/

I had two imps of the same scent acquired a few months apart directly from lab. One was clear the other was orangish. So yes there are batch variations. And I would say a 4 yr old bottle is closer to a 1 year old imp than the other way around aging wise.

If you look at reviews or requests for some LE's you will see batch variations in requests... i.e. red musk heavy version please. I was once offered my choice of note heavy scent from a seller.... apparently they had gotten 2 different batches and could tell the difference between them. Otherwise I would say personal skin chemistry accounted for the disappearing or amping notes.

I am not so sure of mislabeling although I suppose it does happen. I know when I decant I am very careful about that.

If it's at all helpful, I've smelled two Lyonesse imps, and both were "warm, sexy vanilla," not incense =D So I'm guessing (even though mileage may vary) this is a mislabeling case. Happened to me recently too. I bought a bottle of Winter Heavens after smelling a decant. Totally different. After researching, I realize the bottle is the real WH and the decant was a mislabel. Of course, the annoying thing is that when this happens, one doesn't know what the mislabeled item really was, which makes it hard to trade off if you want to get rid of it :/

Thanks. Vanilla is my favorite and the bottle has none. I mean zero vanilla. It reminds me of a heavy "grandma" floral. Really cloying and heavy.

Lyonesse can be a bit sweet/cloying on me (the drawback that tends to deter me from a full bottle). Usually I associate "grandma" florals with rose, and as far as I know, there are no rose notes in Lyonesse. this is all very subjective though. There is a strong lily note in Lyonesse.

As an example of a batch-variance thing that also happened to me recently, I bought a bottle of Sri Lanka. It smells distinctly different from my imp. Heavy on the sandalwood and patchouli, and very faint on the other notes. I liked my imp better, but the bottle is definitely the same blend. It's probably just a different age--or it was a batch that was patchouli heavy. On drydown, the difference is hard to detect after about an hour. For the first hour though, it smells distinctly less outdoors-y than the imp did.

By contrast, the Winter Heavens imp and the WH bottle smell almost -nothing- alike. I'm not sure there's a single common note between them. The bottle matches well to the scent descriptions on the WH reviews page, whereas the imp didn't match them at all.

Edited by Haadiyah

I actually had this same experience with Lyonesse a few years ago. I wound up selling my bottle as I found it too difference from my imp-- in fact it smelled awful on me, while the blend from the imp was amazing. One of my first batch variation experiences. I dont think it was aging because I kept my bottle for quite awhile to see if it shaped up.

wanted to add to clarify: the exact same experience-- vanilla in the imp, heady florals in the bottle.

Edited by MCS4096

Yeah, theres no sweetness in this at all. It is a very heavy floral and maybe some sort of resin-y incense smell. I am awful at describing, but it has none of the sweetness that vanilla usually brings. I dont even smell amber in it.

Out of curiosity, have you tried shaking it vs letting it settle? Some of the blends have elements that will sink, and they smell differently depending on if you let them settle or shake them up. Usually it isn't dramatic, but sometimes it is. Thalassa smells sort of sour on me if I don't shake it, and just fine when I do.