Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

Something's going wonky with things when I try to quote your post, Wwindy, but -

I only have tried Gnome once, maybe 9-10 months ago. It was the fizzy ginger sort and I really liked it a lot, so this is kind of depressing to hear. :(

The only variation I've encountered so far has been with Bastet. I bought my first bottle back in 2009 and it's a very pale, clear oil. However, I spilled most of it almost immediately :cry2:

So I bought another bottle about a year ago and this oil is a dark crimson. They smell very similar (I still have the near empty first bottle), with the first bottle smelling only slightly lighter with an almost citrusy feel lingering in the background.

I just bought a third bottle recently when I ordered my weenies and it's identical to my newer bottle from last year, a deep red color with the same gorgeous resiny scent.

I've noticed some interesting variations in my bottles of Samhain.

My first bottle is from the start of the run last year and it smells . . . well, like Samhain - it's what all my other bottles are judged against simply because it is what IS Samhain to me. Fir-y and patchoul-y - earthy and cool and foresty and damp but very, very sweet, also. Almost like honey but not as warm and rich. I guess it's the combo of pumpkin and apple, but I can't specifically pick either one (or the spices) out.

My second bottle, bought near the end of the run last year, smells less sweet and it has, for lack of better words, a twang to it. It's almost vinegary, but not unpleasant - just different.

My only bottle from 2006 is Samhain + butter. I really like buttery scents, so that's A-OK with me. :smilenod:

My only bottle from 2007 is Samhain + a sort of staticky, fuzzy, tingly (but not ozone-y) electrical smell. It makes me think of sniffing a bottle of Samhain while touching a Van de Graaff generator. :lol:

The rest of my bottles (2004, 2009, and this year) all smell pretty much like Samhain "should" smell.

I've encountered an unfortunate difference in Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat. I've had a few imps of it - all of which have been a bright, sparkling and effervescent, somewhere between fresh honeydew and melon candies. I swapped for a bottle a little while back, and it's not sparkling or effervescent at all. It's much heavier and muskier, and smells quite a bit closer to Tanuki no Hikifune than the TTLB I've had before. Which is okay, but really not the deliciously fun fizz I was going for.

Has anyone run into this with TTLB before? Maybe it's an aging thing or a batch thing? I'm trying to figure out if I should order a bottle straight from the lab and see what happens.

Hmmm, I just got a new bottle of Crowley in for Mr. Evenstar for Christmas. It is MUCH heavier on the red musk than the old bottle. I don't really care for red musk and he wears bpal primarily for me. I'm very nervous. (No use testing it on me, both with go all red musk single note the moment they hit my skin.)

holy moly, has anyone tested a new (like recieved within the last week) bottle of hesiods phoenix??

I had a decant that I was obsessed with...it was perfect. so I ordered 3 bottles, which arrived on Friday. I let them rest a day then opened one up - I was heartbroken. instead of the sexy warm sweetness I got from my decant, the bottles (all three) smelled like sour chemicals and alcohol. it's not even recognizable as the same scent to me. I am so sad...I've had batch variations before but nothing to this degree. it doesn't even smell like a bpal - it smells *bad* - like spoiled. :cry: this was supposed to be my new HG. :(

eta: i decanted one of the bottles into vials to do some further investigation - the oil is the same color as what's in my decant, but the oil from the bottles is cloudy and full of a really fine sediment. and when i smell them side-by-side, it's like they're not even remotely related. it's almost like one of the components in the bottles went totally bad. ugh.

Edited by joyfulgirl

holy moly, has anyone tested a new (like recieved within the last week) bottle of hesiods phoenix??

I had a decant that I was obsessed with...it was perfect. so I ordered 3 bottles, which arrived on Friday. I let them rest a day then opened one up - I was heartbroken. instead of the sexy warm sweetness I got from my decant, the bottles (all three) smelled like sour chemicals and alcohol. it's not even recognizable as the same scent to me. I am so sad...I've had batch variations before but nothing to this degree. it doesn't even smell like a bpal - it smells *bad* - like spoiled. :cry: this was supposed to be my new HG. :(

eta: i decanted one of the bottles into vials to do some further investigation - the oil is the same color as what's in my decant, but the oil from the bottles is cloudy and full of a really fine sediment. and when i smell them side-by-side, it's like they're not even remotely related. it's almost like one of the components in the bottles went totally bad. ugh.

I got my first bottle of Hesiod's Phoenix back in November; my second bottle in late December; and my final two backups were ordered in late January and just arrived a few days ago.

I agree that there seems to be a batch discrepancy. My first bottle is far and away my favorite; it's rich and heavy on the vanilla. The other bottles smell mostly like it, but lacking depth. I just tested one of my newest backups on my skin and I'm not getting any of the chemicals or alcohol that you described... it doesn't smell off or spoiled to me, but it is certainly different. More powdery, less sweet. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that some aging will help it out.

That really sucks that yours are unrecognizable. :( HP is such a beautiful scent, that's a real shame. Maybe let them age for awhile and see if that helps?

Count me in too unfortunately. :(

It almost makes me want to either buy blind bottles instead of decants, or just buy decants and never try to upgrade to a bottle.

My Spanked Atmosphere Spray, that I totally almost skipped because leather is not one of my favorites, is incredibly heavy on the leather with hardly any of the other oils that I loved so much in my decant.

It is so disheartening.

Count me in too unfortunately. :(

It almost makes me want to either buy blind bottles instead of decants, or just buy decants and never try to upgrade to a bottle.

My Spanked Atmosphere Spray, that I totally almost skipped because leather is not one of my favorites, is incredibly heavy on the leather with hardly any of the other oils that I loved so much in my decant.

It is so disheartening.

That's funny. I get absolutely no leather from my Spanked atmo. But considering I thought the same about my Spanked Res perfume I thought that was just how it was....

Gnome update... It's true, the "official" Gnome is nothing at all like the first round of Gnome. :( Here's a side-by-side photo with an old imp and a recent imp so you can see the dramatic color difference:

As mentioned above, the old, light-colored Gnome has lots of fizzy ginger. The dark-colored Gnome is a much deeper-feeling, brown-toned scent; the dark oily "gear lubricant" is most prominent in the imp, followed by a woody note and a hint of smoke. There is no detectable ginger in the dark-colored version.

I don't care for this version at all, and am sad to have lost the Gnome I loved...

I keep wondering if it's safe to order a bottle again in the hopes of getting the oil I actually wanted. This dark one seems like an error no one will cop to, frankly. It doesn't match the description at all, while the older one did. It would be nice if someone would acknowledge an official change and alter the scent description to reflect it, or acknowledge the mistake and fix it. I don't even begrudge the money, frankly, I just want the bubbly ginger.

Gnome update... It's true, the "official" Gnome is nothing at all like the first round of Gnome. :( Here's a side-by-side photo with an old imp and a recent imp so you can see the dramatic color difference:

As mentioned above, the old, light-colored Gnome has lots of fizzy ginger. The dark-colored Gnome is a much deeper-feeling, brown-toned scent; the dark oily "gear lubricant" is most prominent in the imp, followed by a woody note and a hint of smoke. There is no detectable ginger in the dark-colored version.

I don't care for this version at all, and am sad to have lost the Gnome I loved...

I keep wondering if it's safe to order a bottle again in the hopes of getting the oil I actually wanted. This dark one seems like an error no one will cop to, frankly. It doesn't match the description at all, while the older one did. It would be nice if someone would acknowledge an official change and alter the scent description to reflect it, or acknowledge the mistake and fix it. I don't even begrudge the money, frankly, I just want the bubbly ginger.

This sounds like the issue I had with Dee last year. :( I have an ancient 4oz bottle and a 5ml from 2012 that smell amazing, and 2 bottles from 2013 that don't remotely smell the same.

This sounds like the issue I had with Dee last year. :( I have an ancient 4oz bottle and a 5ml from 2012 that smell amazing, and 2 bottles from 2013 that don't remotely smell the same.

Did that ever resolve? Dee's unavailable right now, I wonder if it will be as it was when it comes back...

My problems so far have been Antique and Tisiphone, a relatively new fragrance and a classic from the Lab's early days.The difference is the same -- there's a mellow Antique and Tisi and a sharp, almost unpleasant version of each. Is the difference due to using different sources for the components when the original sources run out? Do batches of the same oils from the same suppliers also vary? Or both? If so and they smell different, I thought that's when particular BPAL blends are discontinued temporarily or altogether. As far as yearly variations go, I always assumed that Beth was experimenting, tweaking last year's blend to improve on it. Now, I'm not so sure. Raven Moon, for instance, was made in 2009 and 2012. The 2009 version has depth and mystery and is IMO one of the most successful blends BPAL has ever produced. When I ran out of my first bottle, someone encouraged me to take a chance on the 2012 version since "the ingredients are the same." Yes, they are but without looking at the label I wouldn't have known my second purchase was Raven Moon. I can understand that an older imp of Tisi might have lost some of its freshness but how do we explain the older blend smelling better?

It's disappointing because BPAL oils, on my small budget and those of lots of us, are expensive. Not saying it costs more than it's worth when it's consistent. Definitely not. But when it isn't, I understand why people look to other small companies (Conjure Oils, Blooddrop, Solstice Scents) for what's sometimes lacking in BPAL.

Has Beth ever addressed this issue in any way? If so, I'd be very interested in her reponse.

snip

Is the difference due to using different sources for the components when the original sources run out? Do batches of the same oils from the same suppliers also vary? Or both? If so and they smell different, I thought that's when particular BPAL blends are discontinued temporarily or altogether.

snip

When I contacted them re: The Red Rider (my imp from it's initial release is beautiful leather, the bottle I bought last year was harsh red musk/vetiver, although those arent listed ingredients) the official response I got back was essentially: Because many components are natural products, there will be variation in their scents just as there are variations in the flavor of vegetables, fruits, scents of flowers, etc. This can depend on time of the year, or source (so like even location of that source). I'm guessing they attempt to find and keep sources that are as consistent as possible despite the chance for natural variation. And when variation does occur, I imagine it's at the Lab's discretion whether the variation is enough to warrant a discontinuation. I imagine most true discontinuations have more to do with a good source becoming impossible to find.

I have heard more and more stories though, it seems, regarding scent variations, even within LE runs. It makes me wonder if this is a result of the difficulty the market has seen in recent years (many component producers going under) ie: the Lab has had to keep less than perfect component sources rather than face massive discontinuations?

I've not seen an official, widespread answer by the Lab for these variations. I know our nose's arent crazy, so are they just ignoring inconsistencies? When I emailed them regarding Red Rider I was basically told that no, nothing had changed. Well, it's pretty easy to sniff my two bottles and know they're very different, so something obviously changed somewhere along the line.

I guess it's up to you to decide whether these natural variations are going to put you off the product or not. I'd imagine even smaller companies will have this issue to a degree unless they're quality control is so high they can afford to discard product or they only produce very limited amounts.

I have two bottles of Braving the Ice. One resembles my decant and one is an extra two doses of pomegranate. I don't mind...it's definitely the same scent. However I prefer the one with a softer amount of pom and I don't put this to aging as it was only Yuletime.

It's disappointing because BPAL oils, on my small budget and those of lots of us, are expensive. Not saying it costs more than it's worth when it's consistent. Definitely not. But when it isn't, I understand why people look to other small companies (Conjure Oils, Blooddrop, Solstice Scents) for what's sometimes lacking in BPAL.

that's kind of where i'm at. after i was heartbroken by the bottles of hesiod's phoenix (which smelled nothing like my decants), i went online and found a bunch of scents with the same notes from different companies and bought a whole bunch of different things - i even purchased small sizes of single notes from some places that do that so i can fiddle around myself with blending. i love BPAL and the forums and i hate to even LOOK anywhere else, but i so badly want just 5 freaking ml of something that smells like that decant.

for what it's worth, i found a very similar scent and am very happy with it. i'm just bummed that it's not bpal. :(

Edited by joyfulgirl

Did that ever resolve? Dee's unavailable right now, I wonder if it will be as it was when it comes back...

Sadly no. :huh?: They sent me a replacement for the bottle of Dee that I purchased last year but the replacement smelled exactly the same. Both 2013 bottles smell strongly of patchouli, which isn't a listed note and I was told by customer service that nothing had changed and no one at the Lab noticed a difference.

I received a decant of Hesiod's back when it first came out and loved it. Bought 3 bottles and received around the same time as you and it smells nothing like it. Just sharp alcohol. Haven't poured mine out to see if they're cloudy, but I'm pretty bummed out as well.

My problems so far have been Antique and Tisiphone, a relatively new fragrance and a classic from the Lab's early days.The difference is the same -- there's a mellow Antique and Tisi and a sharp, almost unpleasant version of each. Is the difference due to using different sources for the components when the original sources run out? Do batches of the same oils from the same suppliers also vary? Or both? If so and they smell different, I thought that's when particular BPAL blends are discontinued temporarily or altogether. As far as yearly variations go, I always assumed that Beth was experimenting, tweaking last year's blend to improve on it. Now, I'm not so sure. Raven Moon, for instance, was made in 2009 and 2012. The 2009 version has depth and mystery and is IMO one of the most successful blends BPAL has ever produced. When I ran out of my first bottle, someone encouraged me to take a chance on the 2012 version since "the ingredients are the same." Yes, they are but without looking at the label I wouldn't have known my second purchase was Raven Moon. I can understand that an older imp of Tisi might have lost some of its freshness but how do we explain the older blend smelling better?

Has Beth ever addressed this issue in any way? If so, I'd be very interested in her reponse.

(bold mine)

Beth has explained the why of the batch variations back in the first pages of this thread, it's from 2004 (I can't believe it's 10 years ago :eek: ) but I presume the reasons are still the same? Here is a link (scroll down to see her replies, there's a few): http://www.bpal.org/topic/3142-different-smellscolors-same-perfume/page__st__25

Also from the lab's FAQ's:

Why are there sometimes batch variations?

Our products are, to a one, handmade and are crafted with meticulous care in batches of roughly 60-75 bottles at a time. Since we do not employ machinery to create, blend, or bottle our oils, there may be some minor changes from batch to batch. Seasonal variations, soil quality, and weather conditions also affect the aroma profile or color of natural components, which may in turn cause slight changes in the tone and depth of the perfume.

I totally understand the frustration though! Especially when it happens to scents you love. It's happened to me more than a few times and it's been disappointing. But when I first read up on the issue it made more a lot more understanding of what goes into the process and why these batch variations are sometimes inevitable.

(bold mine)

Beth has explained the why of the batch variations back in the first pages of this thread, it's from 2004 (I can't believe it's 10 years ago :eek: ) but I presume the reasons are still the same? Here is a link (scroll down to see her replies, there's a few): http://www.bpal.org/topic/3142-different-smellscolors-same-perfume/page__st__25

Also from the lab's FAQ's:

Why are there sometimes batch variations?

Our products are, to a one, handmade and are crafted with meticulous care in batches of roughly 60-75 bottles at a time. Since we do not employ machinery to create, blend, or bottle our oils, there may be some minor changes from batch to batch. Seasonal variations, soil quality, and weather conditions also affect the aroma profile or color of natural components, which may in turn cause slight changes in the tone and depth of the perfume.

I totally understand the frustration though! Especially when it happens to scents you love. It's happened to me more than a few times and it's been disappointing. But when I first read up on the issue it made more a lot more understanding of what goes into the process and why these batch variations are sometimes inevitable.

Yeah, I completely understand batch variation. That seems entirely reasonable when the essential oils shift slightly themselves or they switch suppliers. No one wants BPAL to be McDonalds! What's perplexing is when it's not minor, slight changes, but a new version that is entirely different from start to finish from the bottle you're replacing, but the lab tells you you're just wrong, this is how it's always been. That's a bit weird.

I don't know how helpful I'm going to be here, but decanting is a pretty dicey proposition, and I don't envy those who do it. Several times I've picked up my favorite bottle of whatever, opened it, sniffed, and thought, hey, where is my scent?

Then I remember to mix and everything is mostly back the way it should be. But it still changes from day to day, even after mixing! I've gone through bottles where the scent significantly changed from the top to the bottom over a time period that can't really be blamed on aging.

And while I can't comment on Hesiods Phoenix specifically, I can confirm that the labs' Bourbon Vanilla note is super sharp and alcohol-like, at least to my nose. In the reviews of Hope and Fear Set Free there are a lot of complaints about the lack of vanilla, but all I get out of that blend is BOURBON VANILLA NOSE ASSAULT, which is not like regular vanilla at all, but as if vanilla has become thoroughly drunk on grain alcohol and then given a pole arm. I like it, but I like scents with extremely pointy parts. Oh, and if I roll my. Hope and Fear Set Free _extremely_ well the scent kind of opens up into sweetness at the top and changes pretty radically. Maybe the Bourbon Vanilla note is super duper hard to mix?

I don't have any explanation for Dee though. I think it's nice they sent you a second bottle though to try and make it right

Tzi

The variation in Hesiod's is really much more of a sweet/woodsy/deep vs pale/thin/bitter than a specific note like vanilla. I managed to track down several decants that happened at the beginning (decant circles on here that all ordered and shipped around the same time) and they are identical.

It makes sense that the first lot of 60-70 bottles is the same, since the reviews all seem to be about the same for the first part, and then a different lot, with different concentrations or something, happened and the next lot has that chemical smell and is just different. I mean, I can tell they are _supposed_ to be similar! but they just aren't.

The only issue for me is that I'm then reselling/swapping something that I know is different. Like how I paid $22 for Beaver Moon 2011 and then sold it for $10 because it had no lavender or cheesecake and I didn't feel right selling it knowing that it was an off bottle. The same thing happened with Pumpkin Masala Rooibos because I bought a bottle from someone that let me know it was a "woodsy" version, which sounds fine, but when I got it, it smelled nothing like my decant or the other bottle I had and was basically a SN Fennel.

Since we can't return bottles to the lab, even for something really off, we end up either eating the cost of the completely different bottles, or passing something on to someone else that is expecting one thing and ending up with an unmixed bottle.

I'd love to be able to say that spending $23 on something that is not right is not a big deal for me, and tbh, it's less of a big deal than it used to be, but $23 down the drain does matter.

The variation in Hesiod's is really much more of a sweet/woodsy/deep vs pale/thin/bitter than a specific note like vanilla. I managed to track down several decants that happened at the beginning (decant circles on here that all ordered and shipped around the same time) and they are identical.

It makes sense that the first lot of 60-70 bottles is the same, since the reviews all seem to be about the same for the first part, and then a different lot, with different concentrations or something, happened and the next lot has that chemical smell and is just different. I mean, I can tell they are _supposed_ to be similar! but they just aren't.

The only issue for me is that I'm then reselling/swapping something that I know is different. Like how I paid $22 for Beaver Moon 2011 and then sold it for $10 because it had no lavender or cheesecake and I didn't feel right selling it knowing that it was an off bottle. The same thing happened with Pumpkin Masala Rooibos because I bought a bottle from someone that let me know it was a "woodsy" version, which sounds fine, but when I got it, it smelled nothing like my decant or the other bottle I had and was basically a SN Fennel.

Since we can't return bottles to the lab, even for something really off, we end up either eating the cost of the completely different bottles, or passing something on to someone else that is expecting one thing and ending up with an unmixed bottle.

I'd love to be able to say that spending $23 on something that is not right is not a big deal for me, and tbh, it's less of a big deal than it used to be, but $23 down the drain does matter.

i totally agree with you. the lab was willing to refund my bottles of hesiod's (i tearfully had to accept that they didn't have any more laying around) - but that doesn't change the swap scenario, especially if someone swaps or sells something to you without realizing the extent of the variation. it's a pretty serious risk - and i'm NOT a gambler...so i'm not sure where this leaves me for future purchases.

My bottle of Scappy Damsel, purchased in the last few days it was available, has waaay more cedar than my decant from a circle. I think it'll be ok, but I dont love it as much as my decant.

When this happens with GCs I can accept it a little easier-- given a long time some variation might occur and you have the chance to try again in the future. But given the nature of LEs, that we often only get one shot at a bottle straight from the lab, and that the run is so much shorter time wise, it makes me sad and anxious that this keeps happening-- decants from the beginning of the run not being indicative of the scents available at the end of the run.. perhaps a blend shouldnt be available as an LE if it's components are too difficult to keep consistent even over a couple months.

Granted, Hesiods Phoenix was wildly popular, so I'm betting they had to come up with more than they were expecting and that threw the component supply off... still, I dont get how people who are in the perfume business can smell two bottles, and either not think they're different, or not care..

Concerned that with a batch of The Final Darkness already sold out we might see a variation in the next batch. I wouldnt have guessed before now that multiple batches were needed for LE runs unless blends were wildly popular.