Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

AFAIK, it used to be green, but now it's light yellow IIRC. Doesn't smell any different. By the way, this probably belongs in BPAL Chatter, not BPTP Chatter. :)

I'm not sure, because I just got a frimp a week ago with the olive green colour. :S

By the way, this probably belongs in BPAL Chatter, not BPTP Chatter. :)

Yeah I'm not sure how that happened! I blame it on being my first post ever.

No... I want it to stay here.

:D

I find that really interesting.

VULVA OBLIVION!!!

Just keeping it relevant ;)

No... I want it to stay here.

:D

I find that really interesting.

I never even know you can get amber Oblivion, how strange. The imp I have is a real dark olive green. Aging or a slight formula change could account for that, but if o0SnowDrop0o just got a fresh imp from the lap that was olive green, then both theories are ruled out I guess. What a mystery! Oh, and just for relevance sake, how are the packages coming along Puddin?

Has anyone noticed a batch variation with the CD023 prototype? I bought decants of this from 2 separate people and they smelled completely different. The first one was like plain old carrier oil with a few drops of a "sweet foody" scent in it, and the other smelled like the candy store/foody/cake olfactory orgasm that the reviews described. I figured the first one was stale or adulterated, but I recently saw a sales/swap post where the seller mentioned their bottle smelled nothing like the reviews. Either there's a batch variation out there or a there's shady bottle floating around...

Has anyone noticed a batch variation with the CD023 prototype? I bought decants of this from 2 separate people and they smelled completely different. The first one was like plain old carrier oil with a few drops of a "sweet foody" scent in it, and the other smelled like the candy store/foody/cake olfactory orgasm that the reviews described. I figured the first one was stale or adulterated, but I recently saw a sales/swap post where the seller mentioned their bottle smelled nothing like the reviews. Either there's a batch variation out there or a there's shady bottle floating around...

I've actually wondered this! I bought a bottle off livejournal and it was all golden incense with a breath of candy. Definitely not cakey or foody as I've heard it described. At first I chalked it up to skin chemistry, as foody scents go really strange on me quite often, but the reviews all seemed so similar!

Edited by Klepz

I've actually wondered this! I bought a bottle off livejournal and it was all golden incense with a breath of candy. Definitely not cakey or foody as I've heard it described. At first I chalked it up to skin chemistry, as foody scents go really strange on me quite often, but the reviews all seemed so similar!

Well, at least I know my nose isn't crazy. :lol: Anyway, it's unfortunate that you got a weird bottle. :(

Wow, that makes me glad that all of my bottles of CD023 are the same (gourmand) scent. And it makes me nervous when I think about tracking down another bottle. What if it's the "other" one? :eek:

And I'm glad the decant I sold you worked out, mxtine! :D

Wow, that makes me glad that all of my bottles of CD023 are the same (gourmand) scent. And it makes me nervous when I think about tracking down another bottle. What if it's the "other" one? :eek:

And I'm glad the decant I sold you worked out, mxtine! :D

Yes, and thank you for that. :wub2:

My two bottles of Cake Smash smell quite different. My first one is very cake-y with the slightest hint of Dorian, but my second bottle is like 30% Dorian. Anyone have any Dorian-heavy Cake Smash?

My two bottles of Cake Smash smell quite different. My first one is very cake-y with the slightest hint of Dorian, but my second bottle is like 30% Dorian. Anyone have any Dorian-heavy Cake Smash?

I think my bottle is Dorian heavy -- its like ulta sexy cake ;)

I bought a partial bottle of Aremata Popoa, since I really love the imp I have, but they smell really different. My imp is fizzier and brighter. The bottle is like soda gone flat. Is it likely that my imp is much newer than my bottle? :(

I bought a partial bottle of Aremata Popoa, since I really love the imp I have, but they smell really different. My imp is fizzier and brighter. The bottle is like soda gone flat. Is it likely that my imp is much newer than my bottle? :(

I was frimped an imp of Aremata Popoa and fell in love with the fizzy blackberry booze. Then I ordered two bottles (right before they were discontinued this year) and they are completely different, way stronger on the rum almost buttery-caramel-like :ack: . It sounds like it's the other way around- your imp is probably older.

I was frimped an imp of Aremata Popoa and fell in love with the fizzy blackberry booze. Then I ordered two bottles (right before they were discontinued this year) and they are completely different, way stronger on the rum almost buttery-caramel-like :ack: . It sounds like it's the other way around- your imp is probably older.

Ugggggghhh, that's exactly the difference, too! You think it'll improve with age or am I probably just out of luck?

Ugggggghhh, that's exactly the difference, too! You think it'll improve with age or am I probably just out of luck?

I have no idea, I too really hope that the bottles ages into that lovely blackberry like in the imp. So far I have just sampled the bottle again and it isn't very similar yet. Maybe it will take a little more time...

So far in the last week I have recieved 2 oils off Lj that have arrived cloudy. Everything is all seperated and refuses to mix. The odd thing is I smell no difference in the bottles :/ How do you know when an oil's gone bad?

Edited by HighPriestessIce

I have no idea, I too really hope that the bottles ages into that lovely blackberry like in the imp. So far I have just sampled the bottle again and it isn't very similar yet. Maybe it will take a little more time...

I had this problem with Blue Fire. I was so desperate to get this bottle, my imp was gorgeous. My bottle... didnt do anythign for me. It was like the boring version of what I remembered. I'm wondering if I should try a different bottle, or just leave well enough alone ;)

I had this problem with Blue Fire. I was so desperate to get this bottle, my imp was gorgeous. My bottle... didnt do anythign for me. It was like the boring version of what I remembered. I'm wondering if I should try a different bottle, or just leave well enough alone ;)

DAMN. Now I'm twice as worried, LOL. I haven't tried Blue Fire in imp form, but I have a partial bottle coming and now I'm worried it will be atrocious. :cry2:

Bohun Upas seems to come in two distinct variations. :cry: My original imp was awesome with a warm orangey colored oil. My bottle and a different imp have a more yellow colored oil. It's significantly fruitier, less barky and sinister. They both fit the description of the oil, but it's like two entirely different perfumes. I still like the fruitier edition, but I'm crushed that I don't have more of the beautiful original, which has like 75% less fruit than the yellow version. I don't think it's a question of aging.

I'm having a similar issue, findaghost, but with another scent. :(

I've recently gotten two frimps of Tamora from the Lab (in two separate orders a couple of weeks apart). I was planning on ordering a bottle after receiving my first one, but now I'm waffling because they're noticeably different.

One (the first one I received and the one I really like) is a medium-deep amber color and smells like sweet vanilla amber with a touch of fruity florals. The other is a pale gold color and smells much stronger on the peach blossom. I remember that I wasn't thrilled with Tamora the first time I tried it (years ago), but I don't remember why. I had assumed it was because amber wasn't one of my favorite notes back then (it turned sour), but maybe it was because I got one of the golden/fruity imps instead of the darker/amber-vanilla imps.

Could it be an aging issue? Maybe, if the Lab happened to throw in a well-aged imp the first time around and a fresh one the second time. I tend to think it's more likely to be a batch variation, but I obviously don't know that for a fact.

I'm nervous about ordering a bottle now. :unsure:

So far in the last week I have recieved 2 oils off Lj that have arrived cloudy. Everything is all seperated and refuses to mix. The odd thing is I smell no difference in the bottles :/ How do you know when an oil's gone bad?

I think you are probably fine. There are some scents that are notorious for separating - seems like a lot of them have cocoa absolute or chocolate in them. And I remember hearing that Hellhound on my Trail separates very easily too (just can't remember the notes). I think as long as your BPAL smells like it's supposed to, you don't have a problem with it going bad. I've only had one bottle that truly "went bad" on me in 7 years or so. It was The Unicorn, which is a light scent to begin with. It seemed to get even lighter really quickly and I started to smell oil instead of perfume (sniff a neutral oil like vegeteble oil, grapeseed oil, etc, if you don't know what I mean - there's an odor that all oils seem to have in common if they don't have an overwhelming natural fragrance like extra virgin oilve oil). And when an oil is becoming rancid, you can definitely smell a staleness to it.

I didn't get that bottle directly from the Lab although I can't remember if I swapped for it or bought it from another forum member back in fall of 2004. So I don't know how it was cared for prior to its arrival; I also don't remember who got it from and for all I know (but didn't know then) it could have been diluted or something.

Has anyone else bought a bottle of Eat Me recently and found it incredibly low on the currant/fruit note? I just got a bottle for aging and it arrived today; I tried it on and it's all cake/scone with no fruit! My other bottles of Eat Me are nicely balanced fruit and cake scents. Maybe I just got a wonky bottle?

Edited to add: I realized what it smells like: Cake Smash v6 prototype. If you've smelled that, it's a lot of vanilla cake, kind of dry, not much spice nor fruit to be smelled. So weird that my Eat Me smells like Cake Smash v6!

Edited by Ondine

I looked all over for this thread in BPAL Chatter, lol... I didn't know it was in FAQ.

Anyway - I have 4 imps of Scherezade. 2 are dark red (from the red musk, of course) and the other 2 are a pale golden color. If I had only smelled the two light ones, I would never have fell in love. I wonder if the red musk was left out entirely of that batch? Anyone else had imps like these?