Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

I would LOVE to get my hands on one of the non-red-musk bottles! Mine is like red musk SN, and I wish I got the other stuff.

Huh, this is so interesting! I got the "other" Infernal Lover as well - my oil is a light yellow color. I *LOVE* this scent and was going to get a backup, but now I'm thinking otherwise. Hrm.

FWIW, I bought mine at NYCC.

Huh, this is so interesting! I got the "other" Infernal Lover as well - my oil is a light yellow color. I *LOVE* this scent and was going to get a backup, but now I'm thinking otherwise. Hrm.

FWIW, I bought mine at NYCC.

If you got yours at NYCC, I wonder how many bottles of the "wrong" Lover they have in stock?

How many people don't realize they have the "wrong" one? I only noticed because I happened upon your ISO post. I've been wearing TIL frequently since the con and when I read this thread it dawned on me to check my oil since I don't typically like red musk scents.

I also bought mine at NYCC and also noticed only because of Rocza's ISO thread. Has anyone checked with the lab?

ETA: Never mind I see people have contacted the lab already.

Edited by LunaLovegood

Has anyone heard from the lab? I have emailed them now twice and haven't heard from them yet.

I got email from them this afternoon. (Didn't notice it until just now)

Edited by Rocza

I have heard back from the lab, but I don't think there's an official stance on what exactly happened. There are certainly two different versions of TIL however. If you purchased TIL from the lab and have any concerns I would suggest contacting them. It may take a while for them to reply, so be patient.

I have a 3 year old bottle of Mme. Moriarty that smells amazing on me. I'd say that the dominant notes are the patchouli leaf and red musk. I just got a 1 year old bottle from a sale and it smells completely different - like a lighter version of some of the notes from my original bottle covered with something really sweet that reminds me of August 2010's 13. It's so strange, they smell almost nothing alike! Even fresh Mme. smells more like woods that super sweet things on me.

Has anyone gotten their bottle of Dark Chocolate, Fig, and Tamarind? I just saw a will-call posting from ravenfeathers describing it as

this is the most gooey chocolate oil yet! it's like melted chocolate on the testing rod. absolutely goopy. very rich and the combined scents are gorgeous. it leaves a nasty brown smear on the skin. the chocolate burns off quickly despite the fact that it leaves a schmear and the fig and tamarind that's left is a subtler version of my favourite GC, carnal.

But my oil is almost completely clear! There are some tiny specks of the cocoa (really hard to distribute, as in my bottle of CD Wulric), but not enough to show on my skin. And I was not ever quite sure the scent was dark chocolate - usually that's pretty overwhelming, while this oil was...subtle. Unexpected! So I just wondered if it's the diff between proto and released, or if something else is going on. Anyone?

So...when there seem to be two very distinct variants, as in Fire of Love (the reviews mention the predominant cedar/spicy blend and a more lemony floral type), is there any way to request one of them when you order? I adore the cedary FoL, have used like 3 imps of it, and finally sprang for a bottle, and the bottle smells...green. At first I thought maybe the labels with one of my other bottles got messed up, but after reading the reviews for the other, and then reading the reviews for Fire of Love and seeing the review variations, I think I got the green FoL. Terribly disappointing--it's not a bad scent, maybe even something I'd wear for spring, but it's not *my* Fire of Love. I'd keep this one and just reorder in a heartbeat, except that I don't know if I'd actually get the cedar one this time either. I did email the lab last week but I figure they're probably pretty busy.

Has anyone gotten their bottle of Dark Chocolate, Fig, and Tamarind? I just saw a will-call posting from ravenfeathers describing it as

this is the most gooey chocolate oil yet! it's like melted chocolate on the testing rod. absolutely goopy. very rich and the combined scents are gorgeous. it leaves a nasty brown smear on the skin. the chocolate burns off quickly despite the fact that it leaves a schmear and the fig and tamarind that's left is a subtler version of my favourite GC, carnal.

But my oil is almost completely clear! There are some tiny specks of the cocoa (really hard to distribute, as in my bottle of CD Wulric), but not enough to show on my skin. And I was not ever quite sure the scent was dark chocolate - usually that's pretty overwhelming, while this oil was...subtle. Unexpected! So I just wondered if it's the diff between proto and released, or if something else is going on. Anyone?

Mine is also clear with small specks of cocoa. It smells like chocolate, but the tamarind and fig are pretty strong in it.

So...when there seem to be two very distinct variants, as in Fire of Love (the reviews mention the predominant cedar/spicy blend and a more lemony floral type), is there any way to request one of them when you order? I adore the cedary FoL, have used like 3 imps of it, and finally sprang for a bottle, and the bottle smells...green. At first I thought maybe the labels with one of my other bottles got messed up, but after reading the reviews for the other, and then reading the reviews for Fire of Love and seeing the review variations, I think I got the green FoL. Terribly disappointing--it's not a bad scent, maybe even something I'd wear for spring, but it's not *my* Fire of Love. I'd keep this one and just reorder in a heartbeat, except that I don't know if I'd actually get the cedar one this time either. I did email the lab last week but I figure they're probably pretty busy.

I wish we could specify -- there are several blends that seem to have notable variants, and I'd love to be able to say, for example, "Not the cakey one" or "Not the orange Pez one." Let us know if you get an official statement back from the lab, please?

I ordered two bottle of The Arabian Dance and both are MUCH heavier on the coffee/leather than the decant I got from a decant circle. The decant is wonderfully spicy, almost like Morocco with a hint of coffee and leather. I still like the new bottles (thank god), but it is always strange when you encounter these batch variations.

I also recently ordered a bottle of Zephyr after loving my imp (probably at least a yr old by now) to death. The bottle is DEFINITELY more floral than my imp was-- it was a lovely fuzzy musk and fresh out of the drier blanket smell. Hopefully aging will help? :(

Not trying to add to the craziness that is The Infernal Lover, but I've got an interesting (to me, anyway) situation.

I have three bottles, two of which are the "correct" (red musk) version. The thing is that they're noticeably different (in the bottle and on my skin) in terms of red musk strength. I don't know what the "normal" red musk level smells like since I only have these two (plus one of the no musk bottles), but...

One is super heavy on the red musk (virtually a single note with just a touch of honey) and the other is almost smack in the middle of what I'm calling the "super musk" one and the no musk one.

I thought that aging could explain some difference between them, but I just don't believe that there was a big enough time lag between the release and end of TIF to account for it, plus the difference is awfully big. It's like one either got an extra big helping of musk or the other got a partial portion. Luckily, I love all three bottles, although I have to wonder which of the two red musk bottles is "normal" for TIF.

My brain hurts. :lol:

I wish we could specify -- there are several blends that seem to have notable variants, and I'd love to be able to say, for example, "Not the cakey one" or "Not the orange Pez one." Let us know if you get an official statement back from the lab, please?

I sent two very polite query type emails about a month apart, and I've never heard back. <shrugs> I would have liked at least some kind of response, even 'We think you're insane.'

Not trying to add to the craziness that is The Infernal Lover, but I've got an interesting (to me, anyway) situation.

I have three bottles, two of which are the "correct" (red musk) version. The thing is that they're noticeably different (in the bottle and on my skin) in terms of red musk strength. I don't know what the "normal" red musk level smells like since I only have these two (plus one of the no musk bottles), but...

One is super heavy on the red musk (virtually a single note with just a touch of honey) and the other is almost smack in the middle of what I'm calling the "super musk" one and the no musk one.

I thought that aging could explain some difference between them, but I just don't believe that there was a big enough time lag between the release and end of TIF to account for it, plus the difference is awfully big. It's like one either got an extra big helping of musk or the other got a partial portion. Luckily, I love all three bottles, although I have to wonder which of the two red musk bottles is "normal" for TIF.

My brain hurts. :lol:

I have the same situation. 4 bottles of TIL, one with no red musk, 2 with very heavy almost single note red musk and super dark oil (I can barely see light thru the bottle), and 1 bottle of medium red musk that is much lighter in strength and color. I don't think they are aging issues either, because I received them all around the same timeframe.

I will always wonder what happened. :lol:

ETA: I just skin tested heavy vs. medium versions. The medium has a faint cola note to my nose compared to the heavy. Then it's gone.

Curioser and curiouser...

Edited by mxtine

I've now got 2 of the stronger red musk and the 1 medium musk plus the no musk, too. :lol:

My medium musk one dries down to something much closer to the no musk version than the "super musk" version. There's red musk there for sure, but it's relatively light, especially compared to the other bottles. I don't get any cola, but that could be a skin chemistry thing.

I'm guessing the "super musk" is the intended formula, but I'm just guessing that based on the fact that I have two of them and only one of the lighter musk (and so do you!). Very unscientific, but I'm sticking to it unless evidence points to the contrary or I hear otherwise from someone in the know. :)

ETA: A bit late on this, but I've now got two of the lighter musk (just received another lighter musk a week or so ago), so I'm still not sure which one of the two red musk intensities was the intended formulation. I love all three, so it's all good, but it's confusing, to say the least.

Edited by Penance

I finally did get a reply which was that all the versions of Fire of Love they had now are rosy, and Bill had no idea if there was supposed to be cedar in it at all. He said there are always slight variations, but there shouldn't be anything that extreme. I offered to send them one of my 'real' imps of Fire of Love if they could figure out what it was that I had so I could get it, but I haven't heard back on that score. I guess I'll just hoard my couple imps in the meantime.

Hi everyone. My friend got me into BPAL a few months ago and I've been snagging imps here and there when I can, from the online store with a few lots on eBay.

I've been trying to sort through all of them (I got a bit giddy and started hoarding more quickly than I could test them out >.<) and I came across this today:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/suprnaturl/oblivion.jpg

Is that just a sign of age? I was surprised because the colors are so different. One is very obviously dark green, whereas the other is a golden amber color. They smell similar enough I suppose, but I don't have the most discerning nose in the world, so I'm not sure!

Edit: They are both labelled with the BPAL Oblivion label!

Edited by tomsawyerv

It could be batch difference, or maybe age- I've never seen Oblivion in any incarnation, so I'm not totally sure on that, but batches can sometimes look pretty different. If neither of them smell weird or off, they're both probably ok to use, one's just ...green! :D

Oblivion can be a green-colored oil (my imp is). I've also heard of people having batches that aren't green.

Hmm looks like others have gotten a golden variation; here's the other posts about it (Oil Colour Variation Thread and Oblivion Review Thread:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/3142-different-smellscolors-same-perfume/page__st__250__p__1443607?do=findComment&comment=1443607

http://www.bpal.org/...37#entry1331237

http://www.bpal.org/...ost__p__1351683

Edited by o0SnowDrop0o

AFAIK, it used to be green, but now it's light yellow IIRC. Doesn't smell any different. By the way, this probably belongs in BPAL Chatter, not BPTP Chatter. :)