Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

Perfume to match songs?

I'm so happy I found a thread on this. I'd love for there to be scents created for songs. Personally I'd love anything for Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams, Ray LaMontagne or Iron and Wine. Really if a scent could just embody Sam Beam and Ray's voice I'd probably die of happiness!

I really love the band Sol Invictus so the blend is interesting, too :P As Spellbound is already mentioned as a perfect embodiment of the Siouxsie song I have some other suggestions:

I adore Talvikuu, and for me it smells like Bel Canto - Idly I De-Ice feels, also some songs by Requiem in White.

Hamadryad is Cinema Strange's En Hiver. Dark and medicinal, like a medicine cabinet in the changing room of a Weimar cabaret hall :D

Le Serpent Qui Danse is all about Peter Murphy's Dust album. It's the perfect meeting place of exotic East and decadent West.

Bordello is a perfect match for Rasputina's Transylvanian Concubine.

And Skinny Puppy's Cult for me smells like Masabakes, dark and beautiful.

I just sent my first Lab order so I can't say what songs work with what, but thinking about it last night I think the Decemberists would be the best band to make oils for. The are a very literary band and their songs are a story. They also tend to have stories placed in the Victorian age which matches. I think it would be a perfect match to the Lab's style.

Can't wait for my imps!

Well, I suppose there's always Hungry Ghost Moon to go along with Wolf Parade's "Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts."

There are three bands I'd love to match scents to songs, Dead Can Dance, Morphine and VAST. There are so many cool possibilities there, and they all tend to have a bit of a dark and melancholy atmosphere. There's a couple song in particular.

"I am Stretched on Your Grave" or "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove" by Dead Can Dance

"The Saddest Song" by Morphine

"Pretty When you Cry" by VAST

Anyone who knows the songs have any ideas?

for that VAST song, I'm thinking Wanda or Perversion :P

Wanda reminds me of Led Zep's "Since I've Been Loving You"-- the whole smoky, blues bar, lazy seduction kind of thing.

I just sent my first Lab order so I can't say what songs work with what, but thinking about it last night I think the Decemberists would be the best band to make oils for. The are a very literary band and their songs are a story. They also tend to have stories placed in the Victorian age which matches. I think it would be a perfect match to the Lab's style.

J'adore Belle Epoque, and I think it's a good match for the Decemberists-- it's definitely got the scent of very old-fashioned, lace pantalooned debaucher down. It's a grittier scent than you might imagine, because the sandalwood is very strong and it comes out delightfully smoky and distantly dirty, with a creamy vanilla and opium sweetness.

Le Serpent Qui Danse is all about Peter Murphy's Dust album. It's the perfect meeting place of exotic East and decadent West.

Bordello is a perfect match for Rasputina's Transylvanian Concubine.

How inspired! Now I must have them! Though, I have a perfume oil made by Miss Melora, for when I'm sharing her vibe . . . but Peter Murphy is never too far from my player, I think I'll look into Le Serpent Qui Danse . . .

Here are songs I want to smell like:

Feathery Wings by Voltaire

Yours To Hold by Skillet

Cosmos by t.A.T.u

Sacrifice by t.A.T.u

Love Like Winter by A.F.I

Imaginary by Evanescence

Forgiven by Relient K

All Around Me by Flyleaf

My Blue Heaven by Taking Back Sunday

Lacrymosa by Evanescence

Wanderlust by Nightwish

Crownless by Nightwish

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know?

I am resurrecting this topic for a bit of a broad request.

I'm going to a Decemberists concert next month, and am looking for a scent that sort of embodies the band (more specifically, the Hazards of Love album). Definitely open to suggestions for individual songs, or several songs (or even characters from songs)...whatever you guys have got. I want a scent that fits the show and will remind me of it whenever I wear it. Not going for anything difficult to acquire, so I'd prefer GCs (or, of course, any of the LEs that are currently up).

Just off the top of my head, I want to smell like:

-Thimble Island, State Fair, Brand New Key, and AntiqueHighHeelRedDollShoes by Rasputina

-iiieee and Hey, Jupiter-Tori Amos

-Bach's Cello Suite 1(a scent for each movement, or

one for the whole thing? I can't decide)

-Beethoven's 7th Symphony(same problem as above)

-Special, I'm Only Happy When It Rains ,When I

Grow Up, Push it by Garbage

-Thirteen by Big Star

-Time Flies and I'm Good, I'm Gone by Lykke Li

-Five String Serenade by Mazzy Star

-Use Somebody by Kings of Leon

-Mexican Boyfriend by Shivaree

-Friday, I'm In Love by The Cure

I could go on...but I won't. I don't this post getting ridiculous.

Edited by MermaidWarrior

Hmmmm.....anyone have any ideas what Hotel California by the Eagles would smell like? Because if there is a song that I want to wear on my skin, it's that one.

Hmmmm.....anyone have any ideas what Hotel California by the Eagles would smell like? Because if there is a song that I want to wear on my skin, it's that one.

I would say Ozymandius or Sunbird. Dry, resinous, desert scents with a bit of sex appeal. The Ifrit might work as well.

I'd love scents that reminded me of:

- Gary Moore's "Over The Hills & Far Away." Then covered by Nightwish and Thyrfing.

- Opeth's "Black Rose Immortal." (I imagine this to be a really dark rose scent...)

- Sarah McLachlan's "Possession" and "Silence" (with Delerium).

warm smell of colitas? what the dung are colitas, anyway? am i even spelling that right?

melting wax/candle smoke, sweet summer sweat, wine desires, ... definitely sounds like something BPAL would put together, huh? :P

I'd love scents that reminded me of:

- Gary Moore's "Over The Hills & Far Away." Then covered by Nightwish and Thyrfing.

- Opeth's "Black Rose Immortal." (I imagine this to be a really dark rose scent...)

- Sarah McLachlan's "Possession" and "Silence" (with Delerium).

For Black Rose Immortal (I don't know the song though):

Whip - Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose

Zombi - Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth.

Lilith - Mother of Demons, Vengeful Fury, Darkest Seductress, Queen of the Djinn, Goddess of the Gate. Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.

The Obsidian Widow - Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

And of course Black Rose - Exquisitely melancholy. The background scent to an ancient exequies. Heavy, dark and floral: a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

For Silence..only one blend comes to mind, and that is Mania (Screeching white musk collides with a howl of red musk, with sharp white grapefruit and pale strawberry leaf). Just the way it slides up into that high pitch that kind of tickles my back teeth.

ETA: for colitas...well...the only BPAL that smells like colitas to me is Bien Loin d'Ici. Although there is a cannabis & rose scent that some other etailers use in their products.

Edited by sofaking6

-Thimble Island, State Fair, Brand New Key, and AntiqueHighHeelRedDollShoes by Rasputina

-Thirteen by Big Star

"AntiqueHighHeelRedDollShoes" seems kind of Obsidian Widow to me, for reasons I cannot begin to understand. Maybe because OW strikes me as a "red" scent.

I feel like "Thirteen" (awesome song, btw!) is summery, warm and sweet and grassy. I get that from Roadhouse, weirdly, but YMMV.

I'd love to smell like Creep by Radiohead (the one song that I identify with more then any other, weirdly enough), or Sonne by Rammstein (sex). Well, any Rammstein song really..haha.

Not sure if any of you are familiar with the odd band Cinema Strange (they're wonderful, though).. But Zombi reminds me of their songs, particularly "Tomb Lillies".

Oh! And Nosferatu reminds me of "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by the Bauhaus. :D

I'd love to find something that reminds me of a Loreena McKennitt song. Especially "the old ways"..

Two and a half years later... "The Old Ways" for me is Leanan Sidhe. Misty and very, very Celtic feeling, and has the sort of misty quality that works well with that song (and with Courtyard Melody, as well).

I'd love to smell like Creep by Radiohead (the one song that I identify with more then any other, weirdly enough), or Sonne by Rammstein (sex). Well, any Rammstein song really..haha.

I have no idea what most of the lyrics mean in Sonne, so this is just based on the sound of the song, but I could see Priala, maybe. Dark, warm myrrhs, smoke, cinnamon sliding along the high notes...

I'm feeling a lot of vetiver in Rammstein, as a whole.

-Thirteen by Big Star

"AntiqueHighHeelRedDollShoes" seems kind of Obsidian Widow to me, for reasons I cannot begin to understand. Maybe because OW strikes me as a "red" scent.

I feel like "Thirteen" (awesome song, btw!) is summery, warm and sweet and grassy. I get that from Roadhouse, weirdly, but YMMV.

Interesting recommendations, lucy gray. I've never tried either of those scents before, so I guess I'll have to hunt down a couple of imps and see what happens. Like I need another excuse to buy more BPAL. ;) In related news, isn't "Thirteen" the cutest effing song? My first real schoolgirl crush made me a mixed tape w/ that song on it and I've adored it ever since. Ah, youth...

Edited by MermaidWarrior

Dole of the King's Daughter (Red roses, blood-flecked lilies, upturned earth, yew branches, and blood mingled with river sand) sounds like a perfect match for Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue's "Where the Wild Roses Grow", especially the video.

"Creep" makes me think of something warm, slightly golden, and not entirely coherent. I did a search through the general catalogue, and came up with...

Delirium: "A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon."

Violet Ray: "White mint, purple musk, violet, lilac, ylang ylang, lavender moss, and sandalwood."

Aureus: "True, perfect golden light, refined into an incomparably glorious scent."

I'm not sure why this one reminds me of Creep, but it does... Love and Pain: "Lavender, Balkan tobacco, black musk, dark vanilla, and golden copaifera."

Grr.

There's a line in an Iron & Wine song that goes, "There is a house by the sea/the scent of roses and raspberry leaves/and there is smoke in my nose" and if that's not begging for me to try and synaethetically experience it via BPAL I don't know which end is up.

Anyway, I've got smoke and roses covered abundantly (and even the sea, if I really want to brave it), but to my shame I have no idea what raspberry leaves smell like. Anyone?

This is going to end poorly. Just thinking of sitting there in a cloud of Hellfire, Othello, and The Seam Foams Blood is kinda making my stomach turn XD

I would love to smell like the following songs:

Crystalised - The xx

The 28 Days Later Theme Song

Anyone feeling up to the challenge?

(Also, I'm new here - HEY! :D)