Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
inkmonkeys

Dorian Soap (by Silk Road Trading Company)

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. Refined, elegant, and lovely, with a noble bearing and seemingly gentle air. This blend is an artful deception: a sweet gilded blossom lying over a twisted and corrupted core. A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Water, Saponified Organic Palm Kernal Oil, Coconut Oil, Soy Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Sodium Lactate, Jojoba Oil, Caster Oil, and Dorian.

My Snake Oil, Carnal, and Dorian soaps just arrived today, and Mr. Dorian is the first I've tried.

The soap itself is a lovely nude-peach color, and when unwrapped and left in the shower it scented the entire bathroom (in a subtle way - occasional whiffs of Dorian) within 30 minutes.
The soap itself smells just like the oil, but more subtle and less sugary. Very slithery with lots of little bubbles when wet & lathered. It left my hands soft enough to forego lotion. The scent doesn't have much throw after my hands have been washed & dried, but when I sniff my skin the most lovely veil of Dorian wafts back to me.

In sum: I adore the Dorian soap. Absolutely. It's the perfect amount of fragrance and a pleasure to use. I'll definitely be purchasing more of this!

ETA: The Boy loves this, as well. When someone's using it in the shower, it makes the *entire apartment* smell incredible. Wow. Edited by inkmonkeys

First of all, I have to say that the soaps are perfectly wrapped. I almost did not want to open them. But, alas, the smell of Dorian was too much to resist, so I carefully unwrapped him and cut off a slice.

The bar was dense and silky to the touch. The smell is definitely Dorian, only a little lighter, and a little less sweet. The tea seems more pronounced. The soap lathers very nicely and rinses clean without drying the skin or leaving it feeling like an oil slick. For me, the proof is when I'm out of the shower. My skin did not feel dry and tight. It was nice and smooth and felt nourished.

Also, having sensitive skin and chemical sensitivity, I am always a bit concerned when I try new soaps. Not one problem with this soap! =]

If anything, I was a little worried that there wasn't enough Dorian oil in the soap. It smelled a bit soapy during my shower. But, after drying off, the scent came through. It does not have a throw per se, but it is the comforting, wonderful scent of Dorian that I love.

If you plan on wearing Dorian oil, the soap is a good base. Though, at $7.50 a bar, it will not be an every day cleansing soap for me (which is why I sliced a piece off the bar and re-wrapped the rest).

That being said, after seeing the ingredients, reading about the care that goes into making them, seeing the perfect packaging, feeling my skin, and smelling of Dorian after my first use, I now feel Dorian soap is worth the price.

Also, having sensitive skin and chemical sensitivity, I am always a bit concerned when I try new soaps.

I have the same annoying problem! I always have to be careful of any new products that I use on my skin. All of the BPTP soaps have been so gentle though. They feel amazing and make my skin very soft. Doesn't dry me out or strip my skin. I love how easily it lathers up too---tons of thick suds.

I've never smelled Dorian before but I love it in the soap. Tea and lemon and vanilla. It's subtle but so yummy! Stays on my skin for a little bit but it's not so strong that it interferes with any BPAL oil I put on right away.

Love it! And as everyone has said, the wrapper is beautiful!

I love this soap. It smells just like Dorian, but it's smoother and softer. Of course I already knew that I love the scent of Dorian, so the only thing in question was whether I liked the soap itself. It's lovely -- it lathered beautifully and seemed to be pretty good at moisturizing. The scent doesn't linger too long on my skin, but it was very strong while I was using the soap.

:P

imagine my glee when my box arrived! WHEE!!

The over all scent of the box was Dorian while Bliss kind of sat in the corner and looked at me strangely.

I'm not normally a bar soap kinda gal - it's super heavy moisturizing bath gel with a scrubby brush due to dry skin with problems in some areas.

Dorian Soap is all that everyone's said it to be - lovely scent, light wafts, filled the bathroom with it's lemony sugar tea goodness and it's got silky frothy suds. Took me a few minutes longer to work it into the scrubby brush, but it was worth it. Yes, it's moisturizing and no, there's no sensitivity issues with the 'perfumed soap' that I'd normally get (break outs and red spots) with other perfumed soaps.

I didn't put any moisturizer on, but I do need it, IMO. Probably just on specific areas, not all over. That's what Dorian scented lotion is for, :P hm?

One thing I did notice is that the scent fades almost immediately after drying off (I patted instead of rubbed) and even with an application of Dorian oil, all I could smell all day was this strange 'hot' burnt smell. Amazingly enough, when I took my clothes off later that night, Dorian wafted up and the dog decided I was worth smelling all over while I watched TV in bed. (dog whiskers tickle on the backs of your calves!) So, it's definitely a keeper!

Bliss is the next tryout. Whee!!

This is the second soap I've tried, after Snake Oil. This is gorgeous! It doesn't smell exactly like Dorian does out of the bottle, it has a more prominant tea note in soap form and the vanilla is a light undertone. This is one of the best BPAL scents of all time, how could this not smell wonderful? It's not quite as strongly scented as the Snake Oil soap, and not quite as creamy. (Which makes sense, since Dorian is not quite as decadent a scent). This soap leaves me feeling very clean, conditioned and relaxed. The scent did not cling to my skin for long afterward.

I adore the idea of BPAL soap, and I love this as I'm sure I'll love them all. I can't wait to see what future scents will be made into soaps. :P

Edited by QueenFae

I used to not be so much of a soap bar gal - gels for me, thank you. But then by experimenting with various e-tailers, I fell nicely into the habit. BPAL soap? I'm on it.

As many others have noted, the packaging is gorgeous. This is a bar you unwrap, not tear into, just so you can see the inside exemplifies the same quality devotion and attention as the product itself.

Dorian immediately became one of my first BPAL loves and no matter what mood I'm in, always hits my top five favorite scents. There wasn't much doubt I was going to like the scent of the soap, but even good scent can't help a bad soap. I am pleased to report Dorian is definitely not just a "good" soap - no, it is an EXCELLENT soap.

My main concern with this soap was wondering if the scent was strong enough. It is. It could be turned up a notch, but then it might start to interfere with after-shower scenting. Besides, if I want more Dorian I just have to go reach for that bottle.

The soap is appropriately bubbly, makes the shower smell gorgeous, and is overall more smooth than other soaps I have tried.

I love it and wouldn't hesitate to get more. I also wouldn't mind a Dorian shower gel or lotion (hint hint). If you're wavering about it, don't. Don't make the mistake of letting this run out and you potentially missing out until a new batch is done. :P

At the last will call, I got two bars of this for friends who are Dorian lovers. And one friend was kind enough to let me take a shower at her house and use the soap!

The packaging is gorgeous--there are even things to read inside!

And the soap itself is lovely--soft and creamy on the skin, just enough lather, and it smells nicely of Dorian, and as others have noted, a little more tea-like than the oil, but.....

It doesn't really linger much on my skin, but that's fine, because I'd prefer my soap didn't linger too much (or it would interfere with my perfume--what if I didn't feel like wearing Dorian?). It also makes the bathroom smell nice, and my luggage smelled gorgeous when I came back from my trip with the bars of Dorian inside.

I recommend it: gorgeous soaps! :P

and no more expensive than any other fancy soap. I love Zum soap, for example, and it's not so different in price for the amount.

Someone sent me a very generously sized chunk of Dorian soap in a swap package. She and I both agreed that while the soap is quite lovely, the scent is way too faint. I agree with her that it needs at least 3x the amount of scent in it. I can't wear Dorian perfume oil because my skin turns it to dust, so I was excited to try the soap to see if I could enjoy the scent that way, but it's just too faint of a scent for me. I definitely prefer strong-scented soaps. However, scent notwithstanding, it's a really fantastic soap with a gorgeous color, smooth texture, and luxurious, rich lather.

Much thanks to C for hooking me up with generous sample slices from her soap bars :P

Dorian is an okay soap. As other people have already mentioned, it is very faintly scented and nowhere near as scented as I like my products to be. I wouldn't even figure it was Dorian if I didn't know better, though it does have a pleasant, sweet tea scent to it while lathering up. The lather is nice and creamy but it does leave my skin feeling slightly dry and tight (which most bar soaps do to me with the exception of Wylde Ivy and some LUSH ones). I doubt I'd buy any more of this, but I'll use up my sample as a hand soap.

Much thanks for ForeverLastcXs for a generous sample of her Dorian soap! :P

Dry: It smells like a softer Dorian

In the Shower: Lathers up well, smells very much like Dorian while lathering. Smooth texture. Yes, very nice.

Toweling Dry: The scent lingers slightly on the skin and it's fairly moisturizing. I have oily skin and most soaps tend to strip all of the oil off, leaving me fairly sensitive and in need of a good moisturizer.

Verdict: I've been a shower gel girl since college. Occasionally, however, I do crave some soap on my skin. And for my money, I'd definitely pick Dorian for those occasions. The soap isn't so highly scented that you *have* to wear Dorian after it, but it makes a good base for it.

I bought two bars of Dorian so I'd feel OK about opening and using one bar *grin* ... but you guys would understand that, right ?

Dorian as the oil was my first OMG I *love* this scent, and while I'm done for now with my initial infatuation, it's still lovely to have about. Through the wrapper, the soap bars faintly scented the bathroom cupboard with Dorian loveliness.

Even with two bars, unwrapping one was sweet torture. But I did, a few days ago, and the bathroom was then lightly Dorian-scented ... The soap itself (wet or dry) isn't very strongly scented though, usage-wise, it lathers nicely, rinses clean without making skin super tight and squeaky, and doesn't leave anything oily behind either.

What I *really* want to know is how Dorian might take to the DH - I can't slather him with oil, but he hasn't got much choice what soap to use if I've only actually got two bars of Dorian soap left!

Dorian is my second BPTP soap I've tried.

The unwrapped soap itself smells lightly of tea and vanilla. In the shower- Poof! :P why does it remind me of unscented soap? I mean it lathers nicely and doesn't dry out my skin but... Poof! Poof I say! I wanted to love it. Even after the shower... nada. I thought it was just me but the bf said all he could smell was... clean bubbles. Argh, I'm sad.

i adore dorian, and i adore dorian soap. the lather is nice like all the soaps and the scent is wonderful and comforting. i kind of wish it was stronger-scented actually, because dorian is a very subtle scent. i definitely will get a full bar of this at some point in time.

Got my soap a days ago and just got around to trying it! I opened the package and it was very beautifully wrapped, with a black and white picture of a decadent room. The bar itself is sort of a light tan colour. Upon first opening it, I didn't smell much of Dorian at all but I figured a bit of water and lather would remedy this! Unfortunately, the scent didn't get any stronger. :P It's a nice bar of soap, moisturizing for me and doesn't lose much when wet. I'd definitely buy other bptp soaps, but this one just didn't have scent to compel me to buy it again!

Edited by Dorian

I think I have a new favorite BPTP soap!

From the perfume, I got bright musks and sugary, creamy tea. Not much lemon. From the soap, the first thing I smell is lemon and bright musk, followed by sweet, milky tea. The soap is not so heavily musky or sugary as the perfume, but the milk tea scent is still pronounced. I think it's actually more pronounced in the soap, since the musk doesn't get the chance to take over. The scent is a good strength.

It's a smooth, creamy bar the color of milky tea. It might be tiny, tiny bit less moisturizing than the newer formula soaps, but it isn't drying.

I do love this soap, but it isn't as moisture-rich as the other ones I've tried. That is a little disappointing for me. I do love the smell of this, though. I like that it is a gentler scent -- it makes it a nice layer under my BPAL du jour. :P