Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
copyshopclerk

Shub-Niggurath Soap (by Silk Road Trading Company)

Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, the All-Mother and wife of the Not-to-Be-Named-One.

The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

Water, Saponified Organic Palm Kernal Oil, Coconut Oil, Soy Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Sodium Lactate, Jojoba Oil, Caster Oil, and Shub-Niggurath.

Mmm.. Shub in soap form! I could smell it immediately when I opened the box :P

The wrapping is very pretty, with the inside of the paper giving a little bit of info about BPAL and how the soap was made. I hadn't read other soap reviews so I wasn't expecting that, but I thought it was a nice touch.

The soap itself is tan in color, kind of marbled/mottled throughout with an alchemy symbol stamped in the top. It's a very creamy soap - lots of lather, but not at all drying. I'm very glad to see that a soap that smells this great isn't going to dry me out! It's making my bathroom smell like Shub, which I rather enjoy - but it's the sweet scent Shub takes on after it's been on your skin a while, not the blast of fresh ginger that Shub has when you first apply it.

My skin doesn't smell very strongly of Shub from the soap - only very lightly so up close, so I would say you won't get any conflicting problems layering other scents over it.

I really like this, would get again!

Shub is the strongest of the three soaps that I ordered -- smelled it right out of the box, and it's the only one that I can really clearly smell through the (beautiful, dragon-themed) wrapping.

It smells just like you'd expect Shub, a little lighter and creamier because of the additional soap ingredients, but very true to Shub without the lemony ginger notes.

It feels like it would probably vanish in the shower very quickly if it wasn't properly maintained by keeping it out of the water blast, and setting it on a little soap altar afterward. :P

The bathroom smells like Shub for a long time after I take a shower, though my skin doesn't absorb the smell for very long, BUT my skin is SO soft. Every day after I shower (in the evening) my skin is impossibly dry. I have to slather myself in lotion. But guess what? After I use this, my skin is soft and glowing.

These soaps will probably become my staples for that reason, in particular, as most soaps dry my skin very badly. Highly recommended!

i haven't bathed w/ the shub soap yet but it was the scent i smelled when i opened the package, and it is very obviously shub, very true to the only, just a touch lighter. packaged just as others have said in beautiful wrap. just gorgeous

I just received my of my soaps this morning and I picked this one to use first. I've never tried the Shub fragrance oil before so this is really my first experience with Shub.

As the others have said, the wrapper is gorgeous--I didn't want to rip it open! It makes the soap look so fancy. Love the little brimstone logo on the soap as well.

I'm very particular about my soap.....I have been using only Lush for about 5 years now. But I knew that these ones would be just as good and they are. It is a nice, substantial sized bar, and it will last me a long time. It lathers up really easily, and makes nice, fluffy suds. It rinses away completely clean too---no residue. My skin felt very soft and clean but not stripped. I am so happy at how moisturizing it feels. :P

Love the spices and ginger...I am going to have to get the actual oil version. The scent does linger ever so faintly on my skin....I didn't want to put on lotion afterwards so that I could keep the scent around.

Also, as far as storing it goes I just dry the bar out on a regular soap dish (with a drain) until it's completely dry then keep it in a ziploc baggy. That way I can rotate my other BPTP soaps w/o them getting icky. I think it preserves the life of them a little better.

This is also the strongest in the wrapper soap I ordered (Snake Oil and Misk U, as well) and I can hardly wait to get this one in the tub!

I agree with everyone on Macha's artwork on the wrappers. STUNNING! :P

I still get little wafts of this throughout the day. I love the scent of course, and the soap is wonderful. Leaves me soft and smooth. Average amount of lather, and a good sized bar. It is disappearing quickly, although that's probably due to how much I love it. This is awesome and I can't wait to try the others. I'm especially stoked that it's all free trade and eco friendly!

(Okay so this review is X-posted from the SO Suds thread)

I love the soap! It smells good ( just the right amount of scent ) and it lathers wonderfully!

It's just very drying......but that's just my skin.....basically anything with any kind of soap dries out my skin and I have to moisturize after I use it ( hell, even washing with just water dries out my skin :P ), but that's okay.......I ordered some unscented lotion and I'm going to add a few drops of Shub to it to use after my shower and all is well with the world again! :D

I've yet to try Shub the oil (shocking I know!) because ginger doesn't usually work on me. After smelling how wonderful the soap is, I am ready to try the oil too:D On to the soap review. The wrapper seems to be printed on a vellum type of translucent paper. The outside has an Asian looking serpent or dragon on it. The inside has a nice little blurb about how the soap is made. The soap has a lovely cozy warm ginger smell reminiscent of the Gingersnapped scrub by Villainess but not as foody. The soap is a tan beige color with the brimstone symbol carved into the surface. In the shower it has a low sudsing lather (which is fine) and is made up of ....tiny bubbles.... :D It feels really nice on my skin. The scent blossoms in the shower- lovely and sexy! Afterwards my skin feels clean but not stripped. The scent lingers faintly on my skin. I think this has the perfect amount of scent in it- enough to enjoy while lathering but not too much to interfere with my BPAL of the day. I've used this soap a few times now and have found it is slightly drying but I think that's probably due to the cold weather. It's certainly not painfully drying like some other brand of soap can be. I'm not sure if someone with extremely dry skin would find it too drying for them to use though. I also used this as a shampoo bar one time and it worked pretty well. I got lovely wafts of Shubby goodness in my hair all day long. Overall I'd say this is a high quality, luxurious soap. Coture soap indeed and Macha- Lush ain't got nothing on you baby!! :P

This has been my favorite of the soaps so far, but I might be bias because I love the smell of Shub so much. This one was definitely the most highly scented of the half-bar slices I received. Warm and spicy. It had a light scent in the water and didn't linger on my skin. I do find it to be slightly drying, but nothing some lotion can't handle... and I always put on lotion after washing my hands or taking a bath anyhow. I might add in another bar of this one in my next trading post order if I have extra money to splurge.

Smells like Shub! The soap is very creamy in texture and doesn't overlather like some soaps do. It also just plain looks pretty. I find the shub smell lingers a bit, so I make sure to dry my hands very thoroughly afterwards, and even then a bit stays on my fingers. The scent is rather strong and very true to blend. Nice.

I loves me some Shub soap! For some reason, the oil itself didn't grab me, back when it first came out, but the soap changed that completely. The creamy-ginger scent from the soap does linger softly and very nicely, and I love the way it scents the whole bathroom.

I'm traveling at the moment, and regretting not bringing a little slice of Shub soap with me. Next time I'll have to make one for my travel bag.

Shub soap is very Shubby, I am very thankful to sniff. Beautiful, creamy lather with a strong scent that wafts and lingers. Comforting on achy days, sexy on date nights, tis the perfect soap. It whittles at the waist a bit easily though, I fear it will not last long despite my dedicated care. Shub is my love and now I can get naked with it. Oh yes.

Shub soap is beautifully packaged and the soap itself is pretty and has a soft texture. However, the scent is pretty faint, which is a bit disappointing :P I've heard this is true of Silk Road soaps in general. If you like strongly scented soaps this may not be for you.

My bar lathers beautifully, and gives off faint but lingering Shub smell. You get a sense of spicy gingerbread and dark resin, and I love my bar, but I would buy a lifetime's supply if it was scented more strongly.

This has been my favourite of the BPAL soaps I've tried so far -- rich, creamy, and best of all it smells like Shub! It's not nearly as crumbly as Al-Azif and has a much smoother texture, though perhaps not quite as rich as Snake Oil. It did break into two pieces eventually, but only once the slice had already gotten fairly thin.

All in all, if I had the disposable income to be buying BPAL soap regularly, I'd order a couple of dozen bars of this. :P

Grade: A