Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
savage_rose

Bliss Soap (by Silk Road Trading Company)

A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

Water, Goat Milk, Saponified Organic Palm Kernal Oil, Coconut Oil, Soy Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Sodium Lactate, Jojoba Oil, Caster Oil, Cocoa, Cocoa Absolute and Bliss.

First off, the wrapping is lovely. It looks delightfully old-fashioned, like you've bought a soap at a strange, time-shifting, Victorian market. And I love the little blurb inside, describing the soap-making process. So special. And the soap itself looks like chocolate, with little white chunks of moisturizing goodness.

At first I thought the Bliss bar smelled strange (light chocolate with a strange floral perfume--that's not what my imp smelled like), but realized the floral perfume was from its package mates and not from the bar itself. The perfume was very light, I really had to sniff for the chocolate to smell it once I had unwrapped the bar itself. And lathering...lathering, I smelled nothing but soap :D . Really nice soap, but definitely not Bliss.

The soap itself is really marvelous--good lather, and VERY moisturizing. I'm a habitual shower gel user, and this could definitely change that for me. But scent-wise...there's almost nothing there. I barely smell Bliss on my skin. So people afraid of smelling too chocolatey, no danger of that. I'm still happy with my soap, but I really, really hope the scent comes out stronger over time. Maybe I just need to age my bar :P . Edited by Shollin

ITA w/savage_rose: the packaging is exceptional - really creative and wonderful - and the scent is very subtle, mostly in the lather. This actually suits me just fine! I love enjoying the aromatherapy as I'm bathing, yet not being limited in my choice of fragrance after the bath is over. I have a LOT of soap and gels in my bath, including everything from handmade to Lush. They're separated by scent. I get a lot more use from the neutral, lightly-scented ones than from the scent-saturated bars.

I loved the color of the bar, and the light brown suds. I used the bar as shaving soap with a none-too-sharp razor and got lovely shaved legs, no razor rash or dryness afterwards - it's that rich and moisturizing. I have no problems with dry skin, but a harsh soap will leave me feeling tight all over. Not Bliss.

This is good stuff. I can't WAIT to try Snake Oil soap tomorrow! :P

I :P Bliss soap!

Very creative and interesting wrapper. It's looks like it's something that you would find hidden in a long lost sea chest as a stowaway from a far off land. And *you* are the very lucky one to find it! A treasure!

The bar smells wonderfully of cocoa butter and cocoa powder. It's not sugar laden like chocolate but a fuller and more rounded cocoal fragrance.

Nice lather and the bar doesn't immediately melt away.

It's not skin stripping yet you do feel like you're clean. I really like the texture of the lather and how the soap itself feels.

I did have a slight brownish residue on the first soaping due to the cocoa powder. But that rinsed away very cleanly.

If you are a cocoa fiend, you'll love this soap! I would definitely purchase this again!

Very, very nice, Macha!

:D

I didn't buy a bar of Bliss soap right off the bat, because honestly, I prefer chocolate as a note in a scent as opposed to just smelling like chocolate. Reviews of this soap smelling more cocoa and less straight up chocolate convinced me that I needed to give it a try.. Picked up a bar at will call this evening, and used a piece of it in the shower. LOVE IT. :P

The quality of the soap itself and the packaging is truly exceptional - I really do feel like the $7.50 price tag is well worth it. The soap feels luxurious and moisturizing, and the scent is absolutely perfect, I think. I absolutely didn't want to smell like a bar of Dairy Milk :D though I could have bought other chocolate scented gels or soaps if that's what I'd been after. Instead, this is a beautiful soft, warm cocoa fragrance that I found really comforting and made for a lovely shower - just like a cup of creamy hot cocoa, without the calories! :D

This is my favorite of the soaps I've tried (Dorian, Shub, Snake Oil). This feels like a treat....it's so very luxurious.

This does smell like warm, fresh chocolate and cocoa buttter. But I agree with the other reviewers--it's not a sugary or fake chocolate scent. This is very natural and subtle.....smells almost exactly like the raw cacao beans I like. Doesn't linger very long, which I don't mind at all b/c I do get to enjoy the fragrance in the shower and that's plenty for me.

As with the other soaps, it lathers so thickly and easily. Rinses away clean and doesn't strip my skin. I have very, very sensitive skin and this is nice and gentle. I am completely selfish with this too....I practically slapped my boyfriend when he showed a mild interest in using it.

Should I admit it?........I guess I will. I have been tempted to just take a lick of this. I am only half-joking. It looks like a beautiful marble chocolate and it smells divine. Who would blame me? :P

The packaging is so cutesy, I love it. I sniffed it before the shower and really couldn't smell any scent =( but while showering, I could finally sense the cocoa in the lather (which was sooo silky). I do think the soap is creamy, moisturizing, and very nicely cocoa-ish & buttery.

While I thought it was a fantastic soap... I wish it were a tad bit more fragrant. Just a little bit though because I love to smell my soaps before I jump in the shower and I like it to linger a bit after (not so much that it interferes with my perfume), that's just me though. :P :D

I'm on the fence about this one. the bar is a lovely chocolately brown with bits of white (the goat's milk maybe?) and it smells divine, just sniffing it straight.

my problem is that it didn't lather up too much in the shower, I had to really work it with the water and the body brush to get some suds. After that, it left my skin on the dry side - my hands felt tight, like milk had dried on my skin. I'm not sure if it's the added milk to the soap or it perhaps I didn't rinse thoroughly enough.

I'll definitely give it another try.

I was in a soapy circle (mainly because I am a soap FREAK and have enough soap to last about four lifetimes...so I tried to limit myself to samples...for now :P). I was given the label for Misk U, so I'll leave off mentioning that for when I review it. :D

Anyhow. I used a little slice of my sample bar in the shower today. The lather was nice-- rich, though not in the sense of big and bubbly-- and left my skin feeling moisturized after. My (non-facial) skin has a big tendency to dry out, so this was a great change of pace!

As for the smell, it was very rich in the bar and I was a tad worried about feeling like I'd dipped myself in chocolate. I was pleasantly surprised. I do smell nicely of light milk chocolate, but the throw is *very* minimal. In fact, I pretty much have to stick my nose to my skin to get a whiff. This is great; means I can layer it with regular perfume oil and I won't overwhelm anyone walking by.

Overall I like this soap very much, and if I do convince myself I need yet another bar of soap...this is the top of the picks!

This is a deep brown, rich looking soap with white spots in it. The cocoa is visible in little sand like bunches, which gives this soap a mild amount of pleasant scrubbiness. The Bliss scent in this isn't quite as strong as Snake Oil and Dorian soap, but it is very lovely combined with the creamy soap scent. This reminds me more of a chocolate brownie scent than straight up Bliss oil.

This is the fourth BPAL soap I've tried, and really I've loved them all. This one is no exception, but Snake Oil is still the best :P

This review is pretty much the same as my Snake Oil one, so bear that in mind and add the following...

I like Bliss as a fragrance but it turned too nutty on my skin to merit a bottle so I thought the soap would be a nice alternative. The soap smells darker and less sweet than I remember the oil being, it's very nice. Like others have said, the fragrance could do with being more prominent. It reminds me somewhat of African Black Soap both in appearance and aroma. I love the addition of the goats milk.

The wrapper is even more beautiful than the SO one.

Bravo again Macha :P

I also love the packaging. Bliss soap looks like an expensive, handmade chocolate bar and smells like a Hershey's Milk Chocolate with Almonds bar.

Unfortunately for me, I live in a hard water area, so the soap doesn't lather very well. Still, it gets me clean. I don't know if I'll buy another bar when this is done.

If you don't have hard water, I'm sure the Bliss bar will live up to its name.

Edited by whiterosepetals

Bliss is probably my least favorite of the soaps so far. It has a verrry light milk chocolate scent when I practically stick the bar up my nose, lol, but not so much when it's in the water. There's no lingering scent on me after I was with it either. For some reason Bliss also seemed more drying than the other soaps. It left my skin with that dry, tight feeling. It was nothing that a slathering of lotion couldn't fix though. I'd like these more if they had more fragrance to them.

I finally broke out my Bliss soap after having purchased it when they first came out.

I was a bit disappointed :P Don't get me wrong, the "soap" part of it was very nice - later was a plenty, very rich, luxurious. This wasn't drying for me. BUT I get no Bliss scent from the soap! It's a pretty generic natural soap scent.. doesn't smell much like chocolate even. I'm chalking this up to I waited too long to use it.

I still plan on using the whole bar because the "soap" is unbelievable. I was just hoping for a stronger, more Bliss-full (haha) fragrance.

I waited to review this until I finished the bar which took about 2 months of daily showers. Impressive

When I very carefully extracted the bar from the beautiful wrapping, I was slightly disappointed to find that Bliss didn't immediately waft up at me. It was a lovely chocolate colored bar with bits and swirls of white milk throughout but the scent was reminiscent of unscented CP soap I used to make in my kitchen. Pleasing scent but not Bliss. I sliced it into 4 sections to conserve & found that the center of the bar was soft & slightly more scented. Still no Bliss explosion though. In the shower, I quickly forgave the lack of scent because it was the most gentle soap I ever used. I even used it on my girly parts a few times without thinking (early mornings without much sleep) & it was so gentle that I didn't even realize what I had done because I didn't experience the usual :D reaction that I get with bar soap & that's saying alot!!

I enjoyed my mornings with Bliss. I do wish this was more scented but it's other attributes made up for it. It's very gentle, moisturizing, lathers really well with a poof (not so much without), lasts a long time.

Overall- :P