Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Mr. Ibis

Papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox, white sandalwood.

I don't get aquatics at all from Mr. Ibis. On my skin, he's almost all Egyptian musk, clean linen (or, presumably, papyrus) and sandalwood. On drydown, I can detect a little bit of vanilla.

It's a lovely, clean yet musky scent. Soft and pleasant. I find myself wearing this to the office very often.

I almost didn't buy it because I thought it might been too masculine because of the name. What a fool I was!

In vial: Nothing familiar leaps out at me. It smells a little salty.

On skin: I definitely get the "clean linen" comparison. This is light, a little salty, but not quite aquatic. The aloe's definitely there.

Drydown: Wow, my skin just drank this in. It's disappeared, which is very disappointing because it had promise.

This is a smooth, slightly warm, masculine scent. It feels distinguished and a bit stand-offish, despite the warm note. It's a warmth of a living thing, rather than of warm emotion, if that makes sense. It feels masculine, but not so much so that it wouldn't be utterly stunning on a woman. In terms of notes, I'm definitely getting the musk, plus a touch of aloe and papyrus, and maybe a hint of the vanilla blossom. It clings close to the skin. This would be a great scent to wear to a job interview or something like that. That said, I'm not really ever going to wear it, since I don't have any kind of appropriately formal events to wear it to; it should go to someone who will give it more love :-)

This is a very clean and fresh scent, kind of a gender-neutral aquatic (suitably enough for a water bird). It has almost a bit of a soapy feel to it, but not in a bad way.

I keep finding it reminiscent of something, but can't quite put my finger on it. Not sure if it's another BPAL scent or something else. There's just this haunting sense of familiarity about it that I can't quite place.

Like Mr. Jaquel, this scent also sweetens a bit over time, starting off with more of a men's-scent feel, then shifting into gender-neutrality, then eventually into an almost-feminine feel. They're both sort of intriguingly androgynous that way.

Of the two, this one I find not so much my kind of scent... Despite my being a water sign, aquatics and I don't always get along that well. It's pleasant enough, once it gets past the initial expensive-men's-soap stage, but not so much a good fit for me.

Grade: B/B-

Mr. Ibis was interesting. Not at all what I expected from the notes.

In vial: I smell something clean and floral.

Wet, on skin: Very green. That aloe really leapt to the front. It overtakes pretty much everything else in the blend.

Dry/Drying: Clean green floral, is the best I can describe it. It's really neat that way, actually. Honestly not something I would wear--but I can see how it would be great as a room scent or linen spray. Or made into dryer sheets somehow--I can see how it would be awesome to have clean laundry smell like this.

Thinking back to American Gods...yeah, I can imagine Mr. Ibis smelling like this. Very evocative of the character it represents.

This is my favorite Carousel scent by far. Wet, Mr. Ibis is a bright, sweet aloe. After he dries down, the scent morphs into a musky, vanilla aloe with just a hint of dust. The scent is probably pretty unisex, but is a lovely, light feminine scent on me. I get very little throw, but a ton of staying power.

This has a light, wistful feel that seems 'hollow' to me. I've heard other people use that word to describe perfumes, and I wasn't sure I got it. This is it, I think. Others might disagree, though. All the notes are here, and nothing is disagreeing with me. It seems more feminine to me than I was expecting. It smells white to me. I like the sweetness of the vanilla flower.

Mr. Ibis reminds me of F5 at first (not surprising with the musk and aloe ferox, whatever that is) then later it reminds me a lot of Oblivion, only this is sweeter with the vanilla flower. As much as I like it, it's really not the kind of scent I feel like wearing a lot. I can imagine it smelling absolutely wonderful and subtle on someone else.

Um, yes, so I initially thought Mr. Ibis would smell kind of like a green Antique Lace. That was sort of unfounded, I find.

It's a very green, unisex scent. Aloe with a cologne-ish kick. It's nice, but it seems like it's faded before it's even dry. Not for me.

In the bottle, and wet on my skin, Mr Ibis could almost pass for a commercial cologne. Where was the papyrus? Where was the aloe? The musks and the sandalwood?

As it dries, it goes very light, very clean, a sort of barely there, mysterious miasma. Its lovely, but nothing mindboggling, until.....

After about thirty or forty minutes of wear, the scent begins to deepen. The sandalwood asserts itself and I can detect a whiff of richness that must be the musks. Thats the point when I really start to love it. It really IS a rather mysterious scent, it clings close to the skin but not in a lustful way. Its a sparse and unforgiving scent, quiet and assertive. There's a gentle confidence about it - nothing over the top or in your face, but subtle in its beauty.

Yes, I'm liking this a lot. Can't stop smelling my wrist. It takes a while to develop, but its definitely worth the wait.

This is a beautiful, complex scent that I'm not sure I can describe. I'll say that the vanilla, the musk, and the sandalwood are definitely dominant on me, and that my impressions seem to be "warm," "dry," and "golden."

If it sounds like I'm describing MB:Underpants, I'm not describing it right. :P Mr. Ibis is a much less foody vanilla, a much drier sandalwood, and overall a less sweet and more gender-neutral scent than MB:U. It's very lovely and I definitely enjoyed having random whiffs of it waft their way up to my nose throughout the day.

Only trouble is that it gives me that little twinge in the head that tells me I'll probably get a headache if I put on any more of it. More testing is definitely called for, just to make sure before I make any hasty decisions.

Mr. Ibis is the juicy, watery green of a sliced aloe leaf, clean and soothing. It softens up a little on the drydown when the sandalwood comes out to play, but it doesn't last very long on me, sadly. Very elegant and simplistic.

In the imp: oh, wow, that hits the 'yay' part of my brain straight off - lots of musk and sandalwood with some vanilla and florals.

On me, wet: mm, this is very faint, but still lovely soft warm musk and sandalwood and gentle damp florals and green aloe.

On me, dry: mm, there's a lineny scent - papyrus, maybe? - giving the soft sweet musk and sandalwood and florals a feeling of coolness.

Verdict: this is gorgeous, but it fades really fast. One to retest or use in a scent locket, I guess.

Hm. I never thought I'd get this excited about a clean scent, but I absolutely adore Ibis.

Firstoff, I can't pick out notes. To me, it's just sweet (not "candy sweet" or "foodie sweet") and fresh. And clean.... sort of. It's def gender neutral. I will be testing this theory out on the husband later, but I suspect this will work out JUST FINE on him. :D

It is the perfect scent for those ghastly summer days when your makeup migrates, your hair goes flat and your clothes start sticking to you - after a mere 10 minute car ride to work. :P You look and feel gross and it's not even 8am. BUT... at least you smell fresh!

Secondly, this LASTS! It almost intensifies throughout the day. It's much stronger now - five hours after application - than it was when it was wet. SO AWESOME.

I rarely do the "can't stop sniffing my arms" thing (especially at work - where I should be working and not sniffing my arms or uh.. not.. writing.. perfume.. reviews). But seriously, I love this.

I must get a bottle of this. Or two. Minnesota summers suck worse than the winters.

In the bottle: WOW. Just... wow. The moment I smelled this, I just closed my eyes and went, "Mmmmmm." It's just so lovely. Delicate and clean. The sandalwood comes through a lot, with a little sweetness of the vanilla but the depth of the musk.

Wet: Seems a little more floral, and it reminds me A LOT of a scent I wore in high school - Heaven, from the Gap. :-p I have no idea what the notes were in that, maybe it's the sandalwood + flowers?

Dry: Just lovely. It doesn't have a lot of throw, but every time I get a whiff, it's just so PRETTY. Soft and sweet but with just enough oomph behind it.

I think this might be my new favorite. :P

In the Imp: Light, sweet aloe.

Initial Wet: Very light and green. Almost tea-like.

Initial Dry: It practically disappears on my skin.

Drier Dry: I can get a hint a vanilla sweetness over the musks.

Overall, this is way too light for me to be able to discern most of the notes. It has no throw on me that I can tell and I really have to press my nose to my skin to get anything. I don't know if it's because I'm used to the heavier scents I usually favor, or because my skin really eats this one up.

When I opened this one I thought I might have just found a near-cousin to my alarmingly dwindling Chaos Theory. It has the same clean, fresh, cool, slight aquatic, tingly perfection that I love so very much. But, despite dousing myself in half an imp's worth, it dissapears almost as soon as it is applied- I tried it on skin, hair and clothes but it made no difference. :P

It reminds me a little of a cross between Pool of Tears and Dirty and it lasts about as long as those two did on me. I may try to get another imp and mix it with Sea of Glass (which lasts all day.) and see if I can't get the linen-aquatic theme in something that lasts that isn't OOAK.

I wasn't sure this would really be my thing, but I gave it a chance. I decided to try out a bunch of light scents to broaden my perfume horizons, so I picked up some light musks, light fruity scents, and some aquatics. Mr. Ibis was one that I really wanted to try the most, since I love American Gods.

I received my bottle with my Milk Moon order and it was the first one that really popped out at me in the 'Oh, try me first!' way.

In the bottle: Very light and sweet and fresh, like a fresh-cut aloe leaf. I smell a small hint of sandalwood and the musks, but they are pushed way in the back by aloe. I have to say, though, when it came in the mail (I think it was 'shocked' a bit from the travel), it reminded me of bathroom cleaner. Haha.

Wet, on my skin: My nose isn't that good yet, so it was a conglomeration of... stuff. It was soft, but sharp. Still sweet and fresh, but really green. The Egyptian musk really comes out, and it's a great scent by itself.

Dry, on my skin: Mm, it still smells green, but that left and it settled down into a light vanilla and Egyptian musk. I put this one on before bed, and it lingered through sleep and (so far) three hours of work. I didn't reapply, and when I did apply it, I used the bottom of the cap to dab two drops on my forearms. Typing in this entry, I can still smell sandalwood and Egyptian musk occasionally wafting up at me.

I really like this one! This is definitely a new favorite.

This scent is so clean, slightly musky and *very* light. The aloe starts off stronger, and then fades with time. It reminds me a bit of Spirits of the Dead, from the Demon in My View collection, but without the drydown that went a bit Dormouse on me.

It's a gentle scent, fading softly from when I put it on; it only lasts a couple of hours, and the throw is really short. Definitely a skin-scent.

I thought at first I'd be ordering a bottle, but it fades so fast. I'm gonna keep the imp, and see how it goes from there.

Pale musk and green notes dominate this, a watery scent with a touch of the arcane lent to it by the sandalwood. It's clean, smooth, gentle, a lovely scent that isn't too much of any one thing. A bit lighter than I prefer them, which means this will probably be wildly popular, since my taste skews dirty.

This is creamy golden light washing over reeds at dawn, an evocative musk blend with just enough juicy greenness to make it truly interesting.

The aloe is strong in this one. (Say that sentence in a Yoda voice) In the imp, it's sweet aloe mellowed by sandalwood. Turns soapy on my skin. :P That's about it.

Mr. Ibis smells pale green to me, pale green and cream. It's incredibly gentle, even genteel. There's a natural elegance to it. As others have noted, it's very light, with not a ton of throw, but at least on my skin, it manages to stick around for a good long time. The musks with the vanilla flower and aloe are almost sheer and glimmering, and there is something 'clean' about it, but it doesn't strike me as aquatic at all. To me, it smells more like a whispery green floral with those musks working very delicately underneath.

This fits the character from American Gods to a T, but it also smells to me like someone who's beautiful but does not know it. It's just a lovely, unconsciously radiant blend.

Imp: Cologne.

Wet on skin: Cologne. This is making me a little crazy (well, more so). If I wanted to smell like expensive cologne, I would... you know... buy some expensive cologne.

Drydown: It takes about an hour to get past that posh, snooty cologne thing and into the stage with the musk, aloe, and sandalwood -- and the "papyrus," which I guess is whatever's slightly astringent and keeping all the watery gooshiness in check. Once it's there, it's a lovely funereal-incense skin scent -- but I can get something similar (admittedly, sans the aloe) from Eshe, a Vision of Life-In-Death without having to sit through the posh cologne. Fittingly, this is almost exactly what happened to me with Mr. Jacquel before I got to his spicy, dusty stage. And I know that's actually quite appropriate to the book -- the gods first appear as men, and it's not until quite late in the book that Shadow sees them as they really are, so there's that unmasking between the two stages -- but I'm still puzzling over where I would wear a "power cologne" that suddenly morphs into something else. A really short meeting?

I don't get any green at all. There is a softness, a bit of a mystery hiding somewhere, but mostly I get musk and things that don't play well with musk. It just doesn't smell right on me at all :P

As many have mentioned, this has a clean-linen scent, with an undertone of soapiness. It's the kind of scent that wouldn't bother me if someone else smelled like it, and I don't think it would bother anyone else if I smelled like it, because it mostly just smells like someone who has freshly showered or shampooed, rather than a perfume scent. That said, while it's not unpleasant, it really isn't anything I would choose to wear as perfume, so I'll happily pass on my imp. So far, the only Carousel blend that has worked for me is Mama-Ji, but man oh man, she is the perfume of my dreams, so I'm not complaining! :P