Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

Enraged Groundhog Musk

Really ridiculous, insanely inappropriate, and staggeringly silly! Cranky groundhog musk sweetened up by chocolate-covered black cherries, cardamom, French vanilla, and caramel.

All praise and glory to the Lab.
Bottle: I also get a reminder of MB: Closet - a sense of creamy berries - so the cherry and vanilla notes are the strongest in the bottle for me, with an undertone of caramel.

Skin: I understand why people are thinking cassia, the cardamom is VERY strong, much like cassia can be. I wonder if the musk used is amplifying a certain quality rather than the characteristic scent.

Drydown: Underneath the cardamom the caramel and the chocolate eventually peep out (like the aforementioned groundhog), although on me the cherry never really appears, alas, just a faint suggestion rather than the actual scent. I do like this creamy musk, it has actual tactile weight to it, like taking a big whiff of a piece of cake. In fact, the musk really gives this blend the body that the MBs seem to be missing, as delicious as they are.

And the pink lettering on the label gives me the giggles. :P Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: This smells exactly like hot cinnamon rolls fresh out of the oven and smothered in icing! Yum!

Wet: Cinnamon explosion! I think I may be detecting a touch of cardamon in the background but it is way way back there. Buttery cinnamon and icing pretty much overpower anything else. This smells so enticingly edible. It's not really that sweet though, which is hard to explain since I keep saying there's icing. It's not the sugar I'm smelling though, I think it's the butter and vanilla.

Dry: The cinnamon gets hotter and hotter! *is resisting urge to lick back of hand* Even though this is absolutely wonderful I did trade my extra bottle because I can't see me wearing this often enough to justify multiple bottle hoarding. I am a little disapointed that this isn't chocolate or cherry or cardamon enough. I'm not getting chocolate or cherry at all. I don't think it's my skin chemistry either because it doesn't show up in the bottle. Not at all what I was expecting but very delicious all the same.

Smells heavenly in the bottle, but unfortunately EGM is Cinnamon SN on my skin, from application, to drydown, to the ending hours later! Argh! :P

In the bottle, this is OMGBUTTERYCARAMEL! :D I'm almost afraid to try it on.

But on my skin, the chocolate and cherries and spiciness come out, as well as the musk once it's dry. Whew, what a relief! This is actually quite delicious smelling, and I'm looking forward to wearing it whenever my sweet tooth is acting up.

Yum! :P

Dammit! I HATE my sensitive skin. A dab on my wrists, my inner elbow, across my collarbone, behind my ears.....and what do you know--it looks like I've lost the war against a pissed off tennis player. Big, bright red circles the size of a baseball in every place I "dabbed" this on. ARRRRRRRGH!

I don't even know how this smells b/c my allergies reacted too...stuffed up nose and watery eyes. I honestly do have horrible allergies and the most sensitive skin (like a freakin' baby) but this has never happened before with any BPAL fragrance. *heavy sigh*

So, so sad. I'll have to give this one to my mom since she likes it so much. And I was so excited too....I love little groundhogs :P

EGM doesn't really hit me out of the bottle...my first thought is that it reminds me of 3 witches - spicy cassia, a little rough and abrasive...i search for the chocolate cherries, and i smell them faintly, but i wish they were more in the foreground. on my skin, the cinnamon is still dominant, like it just doesn't want to join with the other notes. but i will say that i can at least smell the chocolate cherries and the vanilla a little more, once it dries down. i dunno...i *should* love this, but i think i need to warm up to it a bit more...it's a very "dry" scent and doesn't seem to have much depth on my skin. however, it is warm, spicy, and not overly sweet...pretty wearable, for cinnamon-y moods, and yummy in its own subtle way.

eta - a week or so later, and i like this a lot better. it gets softer and muskier on my skin, the longer it wears. it's got good staying power. this is better than i thought.

Edited by AliBabble

Love the bottle--precious little whistle-pig with pink lettering! How I miss the groundhoglets that lived by my old apartment. :P I got this in their honor. In the bottle...yep, cinnamon rolls! With cassis? Must be the cardomom. On me, yummmm! Smells very much like Monsterbait: Closet layered over hot Cinnabons with buttercream frosting. Seriously, so many notes are distinct: vanilla, cinnamon, cardomom, and just a teeny hint off cocoa. Sweet musk on the drydown. I want to eat my arm. This is foodtastic! Here's to the 'hogs!

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

Holy crap, this is good. I'm so glad I got a few... um... four. Because musk, caramel, chocolate, vanilla, cherries? I am sooo there. Cardamom I simply wasn't sure about, but I figured it was hard to go wrong with those other delights.

Turns out, a mild, less aggressive cassia note is what my nose interprets the cardamom as. I actually like that bit. I don't get the Heavy Caramel note that's been turning up in Beth's blends of late, which is good. It tends to overwhelm all else. I don't get cinnamon; cardamom has a bit of a similarity to it but is it's own scent... less dry and overwhelming than cassia, and the spice scent of it is just not cinnamonlike to me.

The one thing it reminds me the most of is MB Underbed. I can't wear Underbed- the cassia is wayyyy wayyy to much for me. This is much more delicate and well balanced, less dry. Underbed always seemed like a pile harsh cassia over a dry cookie. This is more like a dab of cassia over a moist chocolate cake.

This is droolworthy- I get soft delicious foody yum with a dribble of softened milder cassia on top. I don't get cherry specifically but there is indeed a hint of dark fruitness, in the best possible way. The chocolate isn't dusty on me either- it's the melty Bliss-like stuff I can't resist.

Musk I don't detect really- I guess it just provides background depth to the blend.

5 out of 5, with the expectation of aging really well.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

When the bottle is first opened, and at a few inches from nose, buttery spiced vanilla. Closer and it's mostly cinnamon. Not strong, but definitely cinnamon.

On skin, same thing, subtle and dry cinnamon. After a few minutes, however, the other notes start to make an appearance and I get fleeting whiffs of deliciousness. No one note stands out, really. Beautifully blended & non-foody after the initial sniff/application. In fact, this ends up being more of an almost incensy blend with hints of vanilla and chocolate flitting around teasingly. While it doesn't smell like it, to my nose it's similar in *feel* as Blood Kiss.

It's quite lovely and definitely a keeper.

I think I might have to give up on these Enraged Musk scents. The last two I tried, Orangutan and Bunny, didn't work at all and Groundhog doesn't either. Everything sounded so perfect, I love chocolate, cherries, vanilla and caramel, even love cardamom if it isn't too strong. What I didn't count on was the musk, whoa, I cannot take this groundhoggy musk :P ! It smells like cheap men's drugstore cologne and takes ages to go away. And then the cardamom starts going nuts and in fact doesn't smell like cardamom at all, it smells exactly like the cassia that went ape on me in Red Phoenix and Monster Bait: Underbed. I can vaguely smell the chocolate, cherry and caramel in the bottle but once this oil hits my skin it begs to be washed off. And shipped off, my bottles are getting swapped!

I get cardamom, musk and caramel. There's a bit of chocolatey vanilla when I'm not directly sniffing my wrists. All together this is really yummy. Mmmmm.

In the bottle; WOW Cocoa/caramel, strong and trying to escape from the bottle Then, something a little boozy shows up.

On my skin; Still cocoa/caramel/boozy, with a hint of....tobacco? Could that be the cardamon I am mistaking? Where is this cherry I keep hearing about, and all this cinnamon?

After a half-hour or so, the scent deepens and darkens to some extent, and while some of it is dark chocolate, I keep catching whiffs of the other beformentioned aromas. Whatever it is keeps this scent from becoming overly foody and sweet. It's just a nice, warm, slightly foody scent. Likin' this one.

These Enraged Critters certainly have minds of their own. I wonder how this one will smell in a few months? Maybe I will put it in the back of my private stash box and see.

Edited by Esscentual

I was really curious about this one, because i sorta missed the boat with other enraged animal scents, so i tought hey, might as well take a chance with a groundhog. Plus the description seemed really nice.

i love the mini-photo of the groundhog on the lable. So cute!

Out of the bottle it smelled very butterscotchy/ caramely. I wondered if it was going to be too sweet.

On the skin it seems strong at first. and I hope I wouldn't smell like a spicy caramel sundae all day (as much as i like caramel. i think it would be too cloying for a long period of time)

But as it dried, A lovely spiciness came out of it. Cinnemon, cloves (?) and cardemom too.

By the time I got on the elevator at work It had a lovely warm sweet spice scent that reminded me a lot of hot spiced cider with orange slices floating on top. There seems to be a citrus fruit note. I didn't recognize it as cherries

The drydown is so gorgeous. I thought that Silk Road would be my favorite spicey scent, But i think this trumps it. I'll have to see how long it lasts. It's been two hours, and i can still smell it pretty well.

It's very similar to Silk Road, but not as dry smelling. Enraged Groundhog Musk is softer and a bit sweeter.

And for musk-o-phobics like me, no need to worry. whatever musk is in here, it's blended so well, it doesn't bother me at all.

As far as the cocoa. I didn't even realize it was in there until i re-read the description. now that i'm sniffing my wrist again i can smell it faintly. It takes a while for it to come out.

I feel sad for all the people whose skin id acting up because of this, because it is such a beautiful blend. Burning this as a home scent would be a great alternative.

The caramal note listed in this had me really worried. Happily, I cannot smell it at all. This opens with cherry and chocolate and dries down into a spicey blend with some cherry and chocolate and a hint of vanilla. Not as strong as Vice though at first it reminded me of it. The cardamom is different from the same note in Alone, to me. More like a mild cassia note, ala Red Phoenix. But mellower. I don't pick up the musk note.

My first forum only scent is a winner!

Err. Well, it isn't a winner after all. Too much cardamom for me in the dry down. Plus, I'm getting a skin reaction this time :P

Edited by fiddlehead

Good gravy, this is spicy!! In the bottle I got a round, warm, foody smell, but as soon as I put it on, the spice factor went through the roof! Cardamom, I guess; I didn't get cinnamon, and it didn't irritate my skin the way cinnamon oils usually do. It stayed there for just a few minutes before settling down into a sweeter, spicy foody scent. I'll need to give this another try before I decide for sure what I think of it. Excellent throw, not much staying power.

Bottle: caramel and cardamom

Wet: the same, with a hint of the vanilla moseying around with the caramel like they're friends

Dry: I can catch the musk, but the chocolate covered cherries are a no-show.

Later: you know foody isn't my thing....but sometimes curiosity just gets the better of me. interesting, the musk plus cardamom almost mimics the tang of a liquer, so this is a rather like an alcoholic dulche de leche...and it smells very nice, but it's just not something I wear.

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

Yum, yay!

In the bottle: Cinnamon, and zomg so much butter

On: This has a few stages on me, and all of them are lovely! I don't get any of the butter scent once it's out of the bottle.The cinnamon does make my skin freak out and turn red (especially right after a shower) but it doesn't really itch, and it goes away soon enough. I get musk! and cinnamon, and delicious baked goods, but nothing that strikes me hard as chocolate. There is a note that is clean/fruity smelling at times, so maybe that's the cherry.

Groundhog is delicious and sweet and spicy :P And I can stand to wear it when I have a cold (I think the cinnamon helps), which is the only way I've smelled it so far (so if the cold goes away and I smell new stuff, I'll be back to edit ^.^)

eta: Oh, jeezums, the itching and the burning and the injury! Note to self: DO NOT APPLY AFTER HOT SHOWER. I need a locket. But for now I'll just have to suffer through that painful skin on fire period, because it's worth it and I love this :D

Edited by SeaLady

SUCH a cute label!

Bottle: :P spicy cherry liquer and real caramel (like when you cook/burn sugar in a pan)

Wet: perfumey musk, cardamom (which is not like cinnamon, but smells like a cousin of cinnamon), cherry liquer, very faint caramel, and no cocoa to speak of.

Dry: predominantly dry spicyness, with a tart juicy aspect added by the cherry and faint musk. Not sickly sweet or overly foody.

I think I like :D

ETA: After about 5 hours all I get from the spot where I applied is a musty, sour smell. I don't know if that's the cherry or the cardamom, but it's not so good. At least it's faint. It's not that I was expecting more wear-length, because my skin usually soaks up scent pretty fast anyways, but the final drydown is not so good on me. So sad. I hope I can find a loving home for this little rodent. If not I will test him again in 6 months time, maybe it will have gotten rid of that cherry.

ETA2: Having aged it for over a year now, I can say that it is really much better. I think the sourness might have been something other than the cherry, perhaps the cardammom? Which would mean that it's not really sour, more like acrid? Hm, anyway, the cherry is sweet, the baked-foody scent is delicious, and it has really mellowed. So try hanging on to it if it didn't work for you straight away.

Edited by Browneyes

My heart is broken.

Fantastic, cocoa-y, caramelly, spicy goodness...bliss for this die-hard foodie...

But.

Five dots on my neck became five large, red, itchy welts on my neck.

For a foodie with less sensitive skin, this would certainly be a much-loved blend!!

I love this much more than expected to, really and wish I had bought a second bottle...

Cocoa-Caramel in the bottle, with a hint of spice, reminding me of the lovely spiced caramels I got the Christmas before last and can't seem to find again.

Wet on skin, the cardamom and cinnamon take over with a hint of sweetness, reminiscent of chai tea.

Dry - chocolate spice cake.

This has great wear. I can still smell it 9 hours later.

My skin never gets the cherries, but I don't really miss them.

I'm wearing it every day until the winter thaw in hopes that Mr. Phil was right in his predictions.

I now have seasonal everyday fall back scents, Jazz Funeral in Spring, Hungry Ghost Moon for Summer, Punkie Night in the Fall, Lick it (and Again) for Holidays,

and now this for Late Winter.

I hope it gets made again. If not, I guess it's back to Gluttony and Red Lantern.

Oh why did I only order 1 bottle of this?? This is fabulous!

At first sniff: this smelled like chocolate covered cherry almonds, with a hint of baked spiciness in the background. Upon application it smelled more like caramel covered cherries, with a lovely cocoa in the undertones. There is definitely a smooth, creamy river of decadent vanilla running through this.

This reminds me of Black Phoenix combined with MB: Closet. God, what a scrumptious combination!! I love the combination of musk, cherries and cocoa. You just can't beat that!! This is glorious, I love it love it love it!!! :P

I had to purchase a bottle of this since I was born on Groundhog's Day and thankfully the notes appealed to me as well. This started out a little caramel and a LOT of cardamon. The cardamon tones down a little and I could smell vanilla. Then YIKES I got an itchy rash on my chest (but thankfully nowhere else I applied.) Enraged groundhog indeed! I like spicy scents, but the only one to do that to me before was Inferno. Thank goodness I have a little scent locket, where Mr. Groundhog smelled of caramel, cardamon, and cherries.

I really do like the smell of Enraged Groundhog Musk but I guess I'll have to be careful with him in the future...and save up for one of those lovely big lockets at the Trading Post. :P

Sad, sad, sad.... I was sooo hoping this Enraged blend would work, but it just hated me on first sight!!

In the bottle, it smells just like baklava, probably my favourite pastry EVER - a lovely honeyish, cinnamon-y, flakey pastry with a slightly nutty undertone. I was over the moon when I opened it up!!!!!!!!!! :D

On my wrist, it turned to a dusty, musty odd smell. No baklava, no sweet honey, nothing. It smelled a little like sawdust, and reminded me sooo much of how Monsterbait:Underpants hated me. :D

Man oh man, I was sooo sure it would be a hit, I bought two bottles!! For the folks who are loving it, please don't mind the daggers shooting out of my eyes!! :P