Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

Enraged Groundhog Musk

Really ridiculous, insanely inappropriate, and staggeringly silly! Cranky groundhog musk sweetened up by chocolate-covered black cherries, cardamom, French vanilla, and caramel.

In bottle: creamy coca

On skin: blast of cocoa, then spicy cinnamon warms up. I’m not a big cinnamon fan, but this is more sweet and boozy like cinnamon schnapps

Half-hour later: still lots of sweetened cinnamon

In conclusion: where’s the caramel? Where are the chocolate-covered cherries? The groundhog must have eaten them on the way, because all I got was lots of cinnamon. This may be appropriate as a February LE because they do remind me of the heart-shaped cinnamon candies you'd get as a kid with your Valentines.

In the bottle and first applied, I get a caramel note, although it is sadly plastic to my nose. After it dries it is strictly a spicy, dusty vanilla. I'm getting only the faintest hint of chocolate, and it's more the cocoa note than chocolate. I'm figuring that's the dust I'm getting, although it could be the musk. The cardomom is lovely, though, if you like that note. It's reminding me a bit of a sweeter Bengal.

I'm going to let him settle back into his hole for awhile, as he was pretty much frigid when I got him, and even though I allowed him to warm up in my pants pocket, I may very well be missing his more subtle nuances. Just couldn't wait to sniff that Whistle Pig!

straight sniff from bottle is cocoa, caramel and choco covered cherries...

*drooooolworthy*

once applied the cinnamon note amps up to a very sharp, almost single

note....ruh roh rorge...

thankfully after 30 minutes or so this mellows out...a lot...amen!!

there is a spicy cardamom note now with lots of chocolate and caramel... :P

lots of throw, too...for all you foody lovers out there, this is yummy!!

In the bottle: A deep, rich, foody scent.

Initial impression when wet: So much cardamom I can't smell much else. Maybe a little bit of caramel.

When it's drying: It turned into a spicy, dark scent. Occasionally I get a big whiff of cardamom again, and from time to time something about it smells burnt. This is not as caramel/vanilla as I expected it to be, it's a lot darker. The only part of the scent that I can detect from the usual "throw" distance is cardamom and a little bit of caramel. I wish my skin wouldn't amp cardamom so much.

I think I'll have to try this later because bread is baking about 10 feet away from me, and I think it's distorting my perceptions of this scent.

In the bottle: Whoah, foody! I get cherries and cocoa and something that's vaguely cake-like.

On my skin: I get immediate spice, but I have no idea where others are getting cinnamon from. While it's very spicy, it's a warm spice and it smells different to me than cinnamon. It's strong but not hot, and not burning, and my skin is in no way red. I actually quite like this!

Underneath the spice I get a foody, caramel-dessert, and not much cocoa but it's there if I search for it.

This is a very fun scent! Kudos to Beth. :P

So very confused - were is the cherry? The caramel? The vanilla? The anything other than cinnamon. Is there even cinnamon in here or is it just cardamom I'm smelling? After about 10 minutes the burning started - and I normally don't react to cinnamon. I'd say this groundhog is definatly enraged. I actually had to go and wash this off it burned/itched so much. Very weird for me.

But you don't care about the itching :P It has a lovely dry, cinnamon bark smell, not particurally sweet/foody at all but lovely all the same. To bad I can't wear it!

I have no idea where people are getting the cinnamon from. I don't detect anything remotely similar to cinnamon.

I really like this blend. On applying it, I immediately get a cherry note. It's a wet, liquid version of cherry (not cough syrupy, though). Kirsch-like, even. The chocolate is a nice milk chocolate. The cardamom is very assertive, and that suits me fine. Cardamom is one of those notes that tends to sell me on a blend. After awhile, I can detect the French vanilla, like in Vasakasajja (though this is a very, very different blend, obviously). I never get much of the caramel, so those of you who fear that note may enjoy the 'Hog.

This is what I hoped Vice would be and a lot more.

Throw is medium and wear-length is long. I applied it yesterday evening and woke up this morning still smelling it.

Here's another cinnamon person.

This smells amazing in the bottle. Mmm baked goods, cocoa, and all around deliciousness. It stayed like this on my skin while wet, but then it morphed into red hots candies. Red hots all over, or maybe big red gum. Ick.

After about half an hour or so it softens back to something sweet and baked good-like, but at this point the throw is absolutely nil, so it doesn't do me much good. I love it so much when it's wet though that I think I'll maybe sell a decant or two and then use the rest in my oil burner or scent locket.

At first EGM was a heartbreaker - the chocolate went plastic on me almost immediately, and I don't usually get plastic from scents. After about 20 minutes, the cinnamon red-hots drowned it out, especially right at skin level, and there's a sweet liquor-type scent, probably the cherry, floating up to my nose.

It's funny...I was expecting something childlike and foody, but the spicy cinnamon and strong cherry liquor make me think more of something a woman would wear after being scorned on Valentine's Day. :P

First off, this bottle has the cutest label ever.

This is a confused little groundhog. He smells like Monster Bait: Closet in the bottle, and like a slightly sweeter Bengal or a drier Gluttony when first applied (with the same yeeeeooow! that stings! redness). But after a few minutes the stinging calms down and the scent starts to morphs into soft, sweet cherries and vanilla with the spice moving far into the background. It's quite subtle for such a foody oil. I'll have to be careful where I apply this one, but the end result is worth a little irritation. Delicious!

Oh, damn it to hell. It's pulling a Monsterbait: Underbed on me. Plasticky cinnamony yuck. I was so hoping for chocolate, and cherries. I've been in such a foody mood, too.

Phooey. Stupid skin chemistry.

A.

ENRAGED GROUNDHOG MUSK

In Bottle: Spicy caramel

On Skin: It is so sweet and yummy! At first it reminds me of grahm cracker crust. On my skin the cardamom come out dominant, very spicy and hot. Second is the chocolate which seems more like dry cocoa powder… not sweet melted chocolate. This is a foody scent no doubts about it. Super rich, super sweet and super making my stomach growl. The caramel that I smelled in the bottle is not really showing itself anymore and the cherry is very faint. Just a slight fruity tone in the background. While it is a yummy scent, it’s not the kind of foody I like to smell like. I don’t like spicy and I really don’t like cinnamon or cardamom. I may have to swap this sadly. But still a fun interesting scent and I LOVE the bottle! Strong throw and long wearlength.

ENRAGED GROUNDHOG MUSK

This is nutty, woody, and baking-spice spicy - maybe the groundhog is pissed that he was interrupted while baking a batch of brownies?

I'm glad that the spice notes keep this from becoming foodier than it is.

In the bottle: I got lots of carmel with coco and maybe a whiff of cherries. :P

On, it dried down to a powery cinnemon. It wasn't bad, in fact my husband really liked it on me, but not the rich foodie scent I was hoping for.

The good news is, I now have a way to convince him to buy me a scent locket!

In the bottle, Enraged Groundhog Musk smells very buttery, spicy and foody. When it hits my skin, it at first turns into Bengal -- I get a lot of the cinnamon-cardamom market spice smell, with a bit of musk underneath. After a half-hour or so, the scent deepens and darkens to some extent, and while some of it is dark chocolate, I'd swear I'm getting a hint of black musk, or something a bit sharp. Whatever it is, it keeps this scent from becoming overly foody and sweet on my skin. After another hour of wearing EGM, the grumpy ol' groundhog mellows out a bit more and a really nice vanilla undertone blooms, the spices fall into line, the peppery quality I noted before smooths out, and it's just a nice, warm, slightly foody scent.

I simply have to say what an amazing evocation of February this scent seems to me -- it's truly a winter scent, warming and intense, sweet in some ways, yet just a bit dark, but finally mellowing out, which is exactly what winter is doing at the end of February.

In bottle: Unidentifiable foodiness, with the tiniest hint of spice.

Wet: whoa, cherry - REAL cherry, not candy cherry! Cardamom and cocoa say hey.

Drydown: Cardamom is sort of coming out, but alas, all things on this planet are ephemeral except for plastic. It's disappearing fast. If I stick my nose right up against my wrist, it's lightly chocolated cherry. I kind of like it, but it's so light. :-/ I wish there was more cinnamon!

Ahh the description was perfect. I love love love it in the bottle, its Vice and Cinnamon, like you blended Vice and Monsterbait: Underbed together. Except something weird happens.. my nose gets too used to the scent and I can't smell it anymore *cries* My husband can smell it, my oldest daughter can smell it, but I can't smell it.

In the bottle, EGM was very buttery-baked-goodness to me. When I read the reviews of the cinnamon scent, I figured "Oh great...I'm gonna hate this."

Sure enough, the instant it touched my skin it went cinnamony which really annoyed me because I hate cinnamon and it's certainly not listed in the description. I remember trying it at will-call and it stayed spicy on me. But when I got my bottle today, the spiciness faded very quickly and now I can barely detect a hint of cherry if anything at all.

How perplexing. I'm disappointed, but not in the way I expected to be.

In the Bottle: What an odd smell... it reminds me of... of... clean air-conditioned hotel room, specifically, the hotel room we stayed in at Disneyland when I was a kid. (Now if that's not a strange scent association, I don't know what is!) Okay, taking another whiff, it's chocolate, then cherries, and as I close the bottle, I get the caramel.

Initial Wet: Graham crackers. The throw is all graham crackers and up close I get some s'mores action going. It's certainly not cinnamon since I amp that like crazy, so the spice must be cardamom. No cherry, which is good since I'm hoping it won't go bad on me.

Initial Dry: Still graham crackery, but now the caramel starts to come out. It's not that cheepo corn syrup caramel either, it's the real stuff made with cream, butter and vanilla.

Drier Dry: Noooo! The cherry's gone all sour on me. :P But then fifteen minutes later, the sourness fades and it mellows into a caramel and cardamom scent. It's not overly sweet or overly spicy, just sort of a nice blend of the two with no fighting. There's probably a bit of vanilla still there as well, though when I think of caramel, it always has a vanilla element, so it's difficult for me to differentiate it as a separate scent. After about six hours it fades to nothing.

On reapplication, I get more cherry than I did the first time around and it sits on that verge-of-going-sour place for a while before turning into cherry candy. The graham cracker scent doesn't come back. What a huge heartbreaker! I was so delighted to smell like s'mores this morning and get whiffs of graham crackers as I worked. Maybe I can age the cherry out of it, or at least get more chocolate out of it.

In the bottle it smells like Enraged Shub-Niggurath, but wet and dry it smells like sweet, thick caramel. It doesn't morph strangely like most of the sweeter scents do on me...it just sits there, rich and smug, daring me to bite my own wrist it smells so good. OW! And oooh, and there's a sort of musky perfume behind it, so it's foody, but not all foody. This is such a winner.

ETA: And I could still smell it 7 hours later. Mmmm. Staying power!

Edited by savage_rose

I was prepared to be disappointed, going by all of these reviews that talked about cinnamon...and it's not what I expected, from the description, but I'm not _disappointed_ either. It's good anyway. It smells very sweet and spicy, like ginger snaps or cinnamon cookies, with a wee bit of musk in there (appropriate, as the groundhog is a wee little creature).

Only as it dries do I get the _tiniest_ suggestion of cocoa or cherries. Mostly just cardamom, though. But that's a note I'd never really tried before, and I do like it, so I'll have to seek it out (Mama-Ji!).

In the bottle I smell creamy vanilla, chocolate and cinnamon-very delicious :D. Spicy scents are my favorite. After wearing it for an hour or so, it dried into a very soft, creamy, velvet like cake. I feel really feminine and smell good enough to eat! :P

Oh, hello -- happy happy joy joy!

In the bottle, Enraged Groundhog Musk smells like Mitzvah went boozing with Smut and Miskatonic University and stopped in to watch Kabuki get its groove on with Bliss. Seriously, dude.

On me, at first, it's all butter and musk. Eeeew, butter. But then it mellows out and becomes this beautiful creamy, slightly sweet musk with a light dose of cardamom. Once in a while, the chocolate and cherries come up and make it a little fruity, a little chocolatey, but...

Love the creamy musk. :P

Wow - either the batches are way different or people's noses are a wonder to me! :) Chocolate? Musk? Cinnamon? Hmmm...

EGM isn't anything that I expected it to be from the notes. I have been utterly spoiled to death by the cocoa absolute in Boomslang and Wulric; now my expectation when I read "chocolate" is to smell that same thick, rich, fudgy chocolate note that gives me multiple nose-gasms. Well, I never smell even the teeniest hint of chocolate-covered cherries or cocoa or cinnamon in EGM! (I'm glad there is no cinnamon in mine - I put it on a small patch of tender inner arm skin and if it was going to burn me, it would have - and did not. Not even a tingle.)

Wet in the bottle I smell Beth's buttery caramel and lots and LOTS of cardamom. Period. Wet on my skin, the two main notes in the bottle bloom and I am wearing an evil Graham cracker! :P It srsly cracks me up - I'm snack time in Hell! While it's certainly not unpleasant, I would have been MUCH more in love with smelling like the cocoa absolute-covered Graham cracker from Hell. *sigh* Beth, you've spoiled me.

The drydown, however, is quite lovely. The cardamom gets sweet and dusty and reminds me very much of the cardamom note in Treat #2, one of my absolute favorite drydowns of all time. It's what I imagine Shub to smell like, actually. I'm not sure if I want to smell like evil Graham crackers just to wait for that note, though. :D

As long as foodie-scent lovers don't get a Cinnamon SN experience from EGM, I imagine they'll love it lots! It sure smells like delish baked goods on me. I've just come to the conclusion that when it comes to food scents, I'd rather smell like candy than a cookie! Oh well. It was worth a gamble. :D