Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

Enraged Groundhog Musk

Really ridiculous, insanely inappropriate, and staggeringly silly! Cranky groundhog musk sweetened up by chocolate-covered black cherries, cardamom, French vanilla, and caramel.

I'm glad I gave this one a chance to age a bit. A few months ago I was not very impressed.. it just smelled like another version of MB:Underbed to me, kinda like a cinnamon biscuit.

A few days ago I decided to give it another shot and I could smell the chocolately goodness wafting around me. The cherries only seem to peek out occasionally, but I'm very happy with this one and will be wearing it more often. Boys seem fond of it as well :P

Oh, and this doesn't irritate my skin at all (so far, fingers crossed!) unlike Underbed.

(edited to add description) Edited by Shollin

Yeah, uh-huh. You can stop being so bloody cheerful now! I mean it! Settle down!

Gah.

In the bottle, this is a bouncy scent that can't seem to decide if it wants to be foody or musky. Mostly foody. The chocolate makes this a little stinky, even though it doesn't smell much like chocolate, what with all the other ingredients. It smells like a vanilla cream sauce over a spice-dusted chocolate torte, with a dash of what I think is a golden sort of musk. Very tasty-smelling.

On, the musk is not as loud as I'd thought it would be. It really sits behind the food smell.

This is bouncy, silly, a fun scent that reminds me of the Monster Bait series. The throw is vanilla caramel with a little cardamom and a little chocolate. Very entertaining, and yummy.

Overall this is a foody, golden scent that begs to be rolled around with. It's sexy the way most foody scents are sexy: they aren't overt "do me" scents, but they do beg you to eat the wearer.

The cardamom is really the snap here; this has a feisty spice to it that I really like. There's enough of it that what should be a creamy, sweet scent is actually pretty zippy.

Yummy. I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one before now. Sweet, soft vanilla, drizzled with caramel, with a chocolate base hiding underneath it all. The cardamom adds a gentle spice, and every now and then the syrupy sweetness of the cherries peeks out. I'm very thankful they are not a prominent note because on my skin they tend to turn into cough syrup; instead, the cherries are just enough to add to the scent without overpowering it. EGM satisfies the food-lover in me. :P

Bottle: Bitter cocoa and cardamom.

Wet: Dark cherries with a lashing of chocolate.

Drydown: The vanilla appears, rounding off the slightly bitter cherries nicely.

Dry: The foodie in me loves this! I'm having trouble picking out individual notes, but it's a warm, sweet scent, but not as sweet as, say, Carnivale. Yummity yum yum!

Dry (20 mins): Obviously my skin thinks this tastes as good as it smells, and has eaten it! :P Oh well. It leaves behind a very light musky scent, so would be great for a job interview or something - pleasant, but with little throw and no permeating qualities.

Verdict: While it lasts, a sweet, musky foody. Warm and cuddly with 50% Extra Added Cute.

Rating: 4/5

How exactly does one represent the rage of a groundhog who's allowed to go back to bed for another six weeks? Heck, if I were allowed to go back to bed for another six weeks, I'd be happy, but I suppose I wouldn't be so happy about having to wake up to check if I could sleep more.

I'd settle back in bed with a huge cup of chocolate chai tea.

I don't get much cherry, but if I do, it's in the background. It's mainly chocolate, caramel, and cardamom ITB and initially, and the musk and spiciness comes later. The cardamom turns into a cinnamon-esque spice that makes me want to sneeze, but thankfully it goes away after a while (wish it would go away more quickly, though). It dries down to a warm chai scent, which is nice, but I could do without the spicy cinnamony thing in the intermediate stages.

Makes a nice room scent, too.

In the imp: Almost pure sweetened butter. Somebody's baking goodies here.

Wet: Sweetened butter. Cake? Buns?

Drydown: A cinnamon note rises up, making me think of cinnamon buns, irresistibly, for about the first half-hour of the scent. In fact, only after that do I get a faint note of cocoa dust, and just the vaguest hint of the cherry (possibly even my imagination) -- it's pretty consistently Cinnabon for a long time here. No wonder the groundhog is enraged! Somebody stole his chocolate cherries and left the empty box!

Wait. Wait. I misspeak myself. With the stealth that only a fat, waddling rodent can muster, the groundhog has in fact tracked down the guilty Cinnabon worker and found the smell of just-eaten chocolate cherries (more in the throw than close to the skin) all over him. It's curtains for that hapless bun peddler!

Verdict: A dangerously tasty foodie scent (which further proves that it's not cinnamon that bugs my skin; it's cassia). Prolonged use could lead to monster-bait-ion.

SWEET and sort of spice-cake-y; no black cherries, just an undertone of vanilla. Delicious but not at all something I'd ever want to wear. It's like... there's cake perfume, and then there's stuff that falls on your wrist that happens to smell kinda cake-y. Which, you know, CAKE, but it doesn't blend right with my skin, so. Off it goes!

Just to me slightly different from everyone...this smells like ginger snaps on me. And I love it!! I will treasure my decants! *hugs close to chest* This is really yummy without being too gooey or cloying as some of the foodie scents are on me. Beautiful!!

This oil is nothing at all what I expected....but I love it!I was thinking I would get a chocolate covered cherry smell, but the first thing I think of when I apply it is cinnamon buns-warm, buttery cinnamon goodness.I get no chocolate,caramel, or cherry whatsoever.As it dries it turns more to the afformentioned red hots scent but I don't mind at all-it is a comforting scent that makes me think of the holidays and I will enjoy every last drop from my bottle. :P

Edited by catwoman30

~*~ ENRAGED GROUNDHOG MUSK ~*~

In the bottle: Woa! Musk and Caramel yelling out of the bottle! A creamy warm scent is whispering behind.

Wet: Caramel, Caramel, and Musk! I am loving this - granted, it is still STRONG!

15min: Oh! mmmm.... it is starting to warm up a bit. Smells like cinnamon and vanilla cream. I have lost most of the caramel, some of the musk is still there and it is finally mellowing out a bit (it still has a great throw!)

20min: I usually don't remark about a 20min time mark, but something is starting to smell like dirt! It is overpowering the yummy caramel cream scent. I had that same problem with MB: Underbed - I thought it was the cassia. Maybe this is the cardamom this time? I have yet to smell any chocolate covered cherries, which is a total bummer.

Complete Dry Down: it took the dirt smell about 15mins. longer to morph and lfinally dissapate. Hours later the scent is a creamy, warm cinnamon. It has mellowed over the past few minutes and now has a very nice throw!

Conclusion: While I am disappointed that I wasn't able to smell the chocolate covered cherries, and that it went through a "dirt" phase, I still find iEGM intriguing because of it's morphing!. I am thinking this might be better aged over a longer period. EGM is certainly not something that you should slather!! (at least for me). A little dab will do ya! I promise! This is a keeper - at least another 6mos - 1yr. while it ages a bit more!

In the bottle, this is an almost insanely sweet caramel foody scent that actually made me recoil at first. Ehe. I am not a foody. I bought this to try and convince me otherwise. First impressions are NOT necessarily favourable.

On the skin wet, it doesn't take long at all for this to calm down considerably. I still get the caramel scent, but others are coming up to beat it into submission now and it's all to the good, especially since this throw almost seems to be bouncing off the walls and straight back at me.

Dry, it gets a bit more of its Subtle on - not that it really had any beforehand so it's not before time. The caramel is now more civilised and almost deliciously creamy since the vanilla is working it's Good Stuff. I can also get the cherries now, and oh GOD, the chocolate...

2 hours later - this is still there but has died back a fair bit. I ALMOST didn't test this once I'd sniffed it in the bottle. It was only because I'd bought the bottle that I persevered. The verdict? I'm still most definitely NOT a foodie - but there's always an exception to the rule. I like this a GREAT deal and can easily see me wearing it semi-regularly. It's lovely!

*loves on the Groundhog*

The name seriously put me off at first, and someone sent me this in a swap- but oh!! She knew me better than I did apparently!! This is so lovely, and definitely going on my I Want More list!!! I avoid cinnamon scents, but I can't detect ANY cinnamon in this! Just yummy vanilla, caramel, and chocolate with just a slight hint of musk to keep it from being COMPLETELY foody. How lovely!! I can't believe I am saying this, but Enraged Groundhog Musk is the perfect dinner-night-out-at-a-nice-restaurant scent!!! Just hope no one at dinner asks me what I am wearing, or I will have to answer BPAL!!! (no way am I saying Enraged Groundhog Musk in a 5-star restaurant!)

Edited by AleciaR

I had missed out on getting this little guy when it had been offered in February; however I was able to procure a bottle from a lovely forumite.Again..this sounded a bit foody but the idea of chocolate covered cherries was just too good to pass up along with the cardamom.I wore this for three days straight; so here are my thoughts:

Initial sniff from bottle: Sweet and foody…vanilla and caramel..backed with a subtle kick from the cardamom. Definitely a snuggly type of fragrance.

Applied wet on skin: Still the yummy trio from above…and I do get a bit of the chocolate cherries..at the end. Strangely…if keep sniffing my wrist I keep thinking of banana bread…huh??? Did anybody else get this I wonder??? :D Applying on my wrists I had no problems..but when I do apply at the crook of my arm Mr. Groundhog does get a bit cranky on me; slight stinging and redness..I have to assume maybe it’s the cardamom???

Couple of minutes on skin: Banana bread has left and I am surrounded by the spicy sweet waft of cardamom/vanilla/ caramel. The tinge of cherry is still at the tail end..and the chocolate??? Am not sure I ever got it..unless it was so well blended with the other notes. To me..this is very much like MB:Underbed except without the toasted coconut and cocoa. This groundhog is very yummy indeed.

Ten minutes later: -Softened cardamom with the vanilla/caramel. The musk underneath it isn’t overly aggressive on me..but it does lend a fullness so that the other notes are supported and end up on me as foody but with a sort of creamy depth???

Lasting power is serious; on me 9+hours with throw strong.

Drydown-Soft musk under the gentle waft of vanilla and cardmom.

Bottom Line: Enraged Groundhog Musk reminds me of MB Underbed; very much cousins but not alike. I am lucky enough to not have ended up with itchy stinging skin except in the crook of my arm, so for me this cuddly if not a tad cranky little guy stays put in my collection. I find it a snuggly/foody fragrance that will work well in the winter. My SO didn’t seem to notice it either way but who cares??? I love you little groundhog!!! :P PS-The cardamom in here does remind me of Phantom Calliope but in that blend the cherries were much more apparent on me.

Edited by metaldog32

I love it! Tis one of my favorites now.

In the bottle: Chocolately, light but decadent and warm. Its like a big sniff of a spiced hot chocolate right before taking a sip! Wonderful! I don't quite smell cherries; if anything, it smells lightly of cherry-flavoured cough drops or cherry cordial, both of which I don't care much for, but it works here. I smell much more of a cinnamon-y and cardamom spicy sweetness than I do the cherry cordial, very nice.

On skin: The hint of cherry cordial has vanished. Now, it smells very strongly of cinnamon candy, like Red Hots. It smells as if I have been munching on Red Hots with a cup of steamy hot cocoa by my side...yummy and warm.

After about 10 minutes: Warm cinnamony, chocolate goodness! It makes me feel very cozy and warm. Its like enjoying a hot chocolate without the calories...chocolate...yum!

Only problem, same problem I had with Inferno and spicy scents, it stings and itches a bit when I wear it on my neck; not badly enough to deter me from wearing it there again. =D

Enraged Groundhog musk is one of my favourites, I just had to swap around for two more bottles! Its so warm and wonderful, and this stuff lasts! I put some on a few nights ago right before bed, and when I woke up, I could still smell it on my wrist.

this smells delicious in the bottle. when i dab it on, however, it BURNS! i'm really glad i didn't put it on my neck- this is the back of my wrist we're talking about, and it's on fire. the only other blend that has done this to me is bengal. after about a minute it's all better.

however- this is a tasty, tasty perfume.

most foody scents seem to disappear on me or turn plasticky but i think the musky backround of EGM keeps things together. i was really hoping for some cherry but instead it's all vanilla/caramel/cardamom with a touch of cocoa- but it works and it's good! i wasn't expecting this at all. i don't know if i'll be able to wear it straight. i might try it in a scent locket or as a lotion, but either way, i'm keeping my little groundhog!

Bottle: Musk and cinnamon

Wet: Mmm, chocolate covered cherries and cinnamon mix with the musk. This might be the most interesting BPAL blend I've ever tried. It's my first enraged musk. The musk smells very animalistic.

Drydown: I don't get any vanilla, which I think I'm happy about because it's already so complex. The musk is amping a bit on me, so I'm scared. I think I like it, but it's so different from any other bpal I've tried that I've gotta get used to it.

3.0 outta 5

A lovely fellow forumite included a sniffie of this with a recent purchase, but I was able to eke out a few swipes:

Anything that says "caramel" scares me, and I'm not crazy about chocolate scents either (yes, I am indeed female :P ) so I would probably never have bought this, but I'm so glad that I received it anyway - just goes to show I have a lot to learn about what notes I do and do not favor.

In the imp this smelled warm and fruity, and just a wee bit spicy, like a *good* fruitcake. Not the kind you stop doors with or throw at your dear when he's been inconsiderate Again.

First on, cinnamon Cinnamon CINNAMON. Not cardamom. CINNAMON. I can still smell the chocolate, though, and 'the sweet' which I suppose is the dreaded caramel and French vanilla - but it's quite nice! If I take a respectful sniff a couple of inches away instead of trying to snog my hand :D then the cinnamon is muted and the chocolate and cherry and 'the sweet' are in the forefront.

I'm looking forward to drydown! I think me and the Mad Hog will be friends . . .

"Those who find they’re touched by madness

Sit down next to me

Those who find themselves ridiculous

Sit down next to me" ~James

First Impression: A cherry tart.

Dries down to: The musk becomes more prominent and the cherry fades quite a bit.

Additional Comments: This is actually a lot better than I'd expected. I can't pick out the vanilla, cardamom or caramel, specifically, but they seem to give depth to the whole. This is not going to be one of my faves but it'll make a nice change when I'm looking for something different. So far, it's my favourite of all the Enrageds.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

bottle: musk and cardamom with the same dusty cocoa scent that was in boomslang.

wet: there's musk in here right? because all i smell is cardamom and vanilla and caramel. this smells like cinnamon rolls!

dry: this is terribly yummy cardamom and vanilla. i wish it were a bit more musky or chocolatey but it's darn yummy in it's own right.

I just typed out a long reply and the board ate it! lol needless to say this starts out in the bottle sweet and yummy with barely a hint of musk, on skin you can barely detect a chocolate scent which is warm and buttery like cocoa butter, no bitter chocolate here. when the scent settles into itself for the long haul the musk develops a bit of a dirt smell and the creamy sweetness goes spicy. this is a nice scent but I need to where it again later to see if its love.

Edited by cassandrakfreaq

in the imp: creamy cocoa and vanilla.

wet: more cocoa and sweet cherries and vanilla.

dry: cocoa and cardamom vanilla and sticky sweet carmel.

i think this is just too sweet for me and it's giving me a slight headache

It took me so long to get this one! I wasn't on the boards when it was released. I had one sale fall through on LJ. Lost an auction at the last second for another bottle. Then had to wait forever for another bottle on LJ that almost didn't make it to me.

BUT that was all worth it. I love it so very much. I hope to get a back up bottle someday with out the pain I went through for the first.

In bottle: I want to eat this. The ingredients speak for themselves. Think decadent truffle, think high end chocolate shop. Yum. Initial impression: a touch disappointing. A bit powdery and faintly chemical smelling. It is reminding me of clean high end hotel room. Wet: On the upside, the cardamom soon gains dominance. I really don’t mind smelling like cardamom with something vaguely candy shop underneath. Dry: Cardamom and red hots. Fades in three hours to a mild musk.

I'm not very good at picking different notes yet since I am still new to this. But I did get a big hit of cinnamon from this. I love the smell. One of my favorites.

In the bottle: Cocoa, cherries and something else...maybe the caramel?

On me: Mmmmmm, chocolately goodness. It's cocoa, spices (cardamom I guess), and a faint musk. I really like this. It's playful and sweet without being cloying.