Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A new year's blessing! Peony, China's national flower, with bamboo for flexibility, plum blossom for perseverance, courage, and hope, tangerine for wealth, orange for happiness, lychee for household peace, pine resin for constancy, golden kumquat, pussy willow, and quince for prosperity, narcissus and King mandarin for good fortune, and peach blossom for longevity, with a splash of blazing red of dragon's blood... to help you scare away the rampaging Nian.

A delightful fruity scent, you can really smell the peach and the lychee. Fun to sniff, but I'm going to stick with some of the darker blends.

As soon as I sniffed this precious little imp I knew it was a winner!

Oh, yummy and sweet, with a little spicy kick! I smell barley sugar and candy rock! And citrus and lychee! It's so ridiculously happy! :P

This darling little piggy mellows on my wrist into a warm treat that I cannot stop sniffing.

Little porcine pal - I need more of you!! :D

I got a decant from the loverly jewelbug. Thanks doll!

In the imp: citrusy and floral

On Skin: Floral and yuzu sweet. Very juicy.

On Drydown: Juicy citrusy fruits and something floral and something that kinda reminds me to mango.

Verdict: I didn't think I would love this piggy, but I do. It's full of fruity cheer. Lovely!

Fire Pig

A review in dialogue in which, through the wonders of muscle relaxants, Ghost Light has been split into Logical Ghost Light and Drugged Ghost Light

Drugged Ghost Light: Yay!! My decant arrived with barely a day to spare! Look, Hubby, it's Fire Pig. It has peony in it!

Hubby: Girlfriends, Ghost Light, Girlfriends

Geolingist: Hey!

Drugged Ghost Light: Just for that I'm putting it on right here on the couch. Mmm...I can smell the peony just in the vial. (slather) It's really similar to Peony Moon but with a fruit base. This is really nice.

Hubby: That's nice. I like that.

Drugged Ghost Light: Really?!?!??

Hubby:....sure.

Drugged Ghost Light: I like it. Oh, but it's getting that teaky-smell that Peony Moon gets. Drats! It started so nice!

Logical Ghost Light: YOu know, since you only get that note when you take muscle relaxants, maybe you should try Fire Pig when you aren't stoned out of your gourd.

Drugged Ghost Light: Wow! I bet that works! You're really smart. Hey, Geolinguist, want to try Fire Pig?

Geolinguist: Oh, okay. But just Fire Pig. I don't want to go back to the office smelling like a French Brothel.

Drugged Ghost Light: Oh, you won't, it's pretty fruity. What do you think?

Geolinguist: (sniffing) I'm getting a lot of tangerine.

Drugged Ghost Light: Some of the reviews have said the citrus can go really wrong, so watch out.

Geolinguist: Uh-oh. I'm getting that. Smell this.

Drugged Ghost Light: (sniffs, gets the giggles) I don't know if it's wrong, but you do smell like a great big orange Pez.

Geolingist: Harumph, you're on drugs.

Acey: Can I try it?

Drugged Ghost Light: Just the Fire Pig, sure.

Acey: (slathers) Mmmm...I like the orange.

Drugged Ghost Light: It's so funny that you both get the citrus from that and I don't.

Acey: It's....uh-oh! I don't like this orange! I smell like baby powder and deodorant. This one is NOT Perfect.

Drugged Ghost Light: (doing a little dance and singing) It smells best on meeee! It smells best on meeeee!

Logical Ghost Light: You know, if you keep making fun of your friends in reviews, eventually they are going to find a way to get even with you.

Drugged Ghost Light: Maybe, but Fire Pig still likes me best!

Edited by Ghost Light

I don't know whether I like this one or not.

It's certainly fruity- peachy and strong lychee fruit, mostly- and, normally, this would fall under the heading of "too much of a good thing" for me. In fact, when I smell it in the bottle, I ask myself: "why am i wearing this , YET AGAIN? I don't even really like it that much!" Then I slather some more on without a second thought :P

I nearly went through my bottle in record time on this one for two main reasons: One: Fire Pig has a pronounced "bitter rind" smell to go along with the fruit (or maybe it's Yuzu?) , and I find the scent completely fascinating because of it; and Two: Fire Pig is unbelievably festive, so perfect for Chinese New Year, and so quintessentially "Asian" without using any bamboo or tea notes. I can't resist. It's just too damned dead-on.

File this one under triumph of evocation. It's exotic, cheery, and perhaps overly ripe at times- but that just adds to its charm. I really, really liked Fire Pig, and I hope Beth liked it enough to keep the idea going for next year. This one was a joy to wear.

Fire Pig is so much like Tweedledee that I'm instantly in love! It's fruity, sweet and simply delightful. The kumquat and orange are really strong with the peony adding a lovely, light floral. I don't pick up on dragon's blood at all, however, I wasn't assaulted by Nian while wearing this, so it must be in there.

I have to say that Fire Pig lasts much longer than Tweedledee. It stayed true and strong for over four hours. It seems that this is another one to go on my never-ending bottle-buy list. Oh, the horror.

*sings, with apologies to The Simpsons* "Fire Pig, Fire Pig, does whatever a fire pig does. Does she swing from a web? No she can't, 'cause she's a pig. Look ouuuuuuut, she is a fire pig!"

As you might surmise, this is a very happy, optimistic and bright blend.

In the vial - Beautifully sunny and fruity. I smell the lychee note quite plainly.

Wet on the skin - Although the fruit notes are still noticeable, the florals give a sharp edge at first before they settle down into the lovely, light veil of scent.

Dry down - Fire pig fades quickly, leaving behind a barely-noticeable waft of light flowers and a hint of a woody note, which I presume is the bamboo.

I love the Lab's Asian blends, and this one is going to become a favourite for summer. As other reviewers have said, it's similar to the delicious Hungry Ghost Moon, but is a great deal lighter and less sticky-sweet.

This was love at first smell. Extremely fruity, fruity, and well more fruit. The hint of bamboo takes the fruit to a new level. Sort of simmers it down if you will. To me this scent brings out the best me, makes me very happy, full of life, and optimistic about the future.

I bought a bottle of this from a forum member after I had waffled while it was live, then missed it.

In the bottle, I can't say that I even remotely like it. It smells a bit like spiced or old fruit, which was a complete turn off. In my diffuser, it really didn't change much which I found disappointing. Needless to say I didn't try it on my skin right away.

On my skin it goes from some strange fruit to a fruity explosion. I love fruity scents so this was right up my alley! And even better is that it just keeps going. A few hours after initial application, it still smells vibrant. Yum. :P

I just swapped for a bottle. In the bottle Fire Pig is very fruity, too fruity for me. But on the skin, and given a bit of time to meld and morph, Fire Pig becomes an absolutely delightful light, sweet, fruity scent. I'm not really getting any florals at all, but I think they're helping to mellow out the fruit so it's not as strong as in the bottle.

I'm really loving this scent and I'm so glad I got it.

Fruitier blends can be a little much on my skin, but when they work, they are usually glorious.

I am very happy to report that Fire Pig falls in the "glorious" category!

At first, Fire Pig is nothing but fruit on me. Big, bold, bursting fruit. The first stages are very reminiscent of blends such as Bordello or Carnal - intensely red, not overly sweet but literally dripping with fruitiness.

It is only after drydown that the more subtle, Asian-themed base notes show themselves and turn this into a very complex and layered scent. The happiness and bubbliness of the inital stages remain, but the florals impart a more subdued mood - uplifting without being silly.

This blend perfectly illustrates the energetic and optimistic side of the Fire Pig sign. This year is supposed to be a great time for new beginnings and Fire Pig certainly captures that extra jolt of energy you feel when you start a new project and the pace picks up all of a sudden.

I will thoroughly enjoy my decant, especially when I need to tap into that kind of energy - I recently gave myself a 6-month timeline to go into business for myself, so anything that can boost my perseverance (and wealth!) is welcome!

In the imp: Very, very sweet with an undertone of something sharp.

On the wrist: Sticky sweet, I can pick out the peony, not just because it's prominent but also because I happen to be madly in love with peony. This is very fruity and sweet, sweet, sweet. It smells pink and sticky.

Drydown: There is a lot in this blend to love, but it starts to go powdery on me after awhile, only a little powdery but powdery enough to tilt my judgment in favor of a swap.

Definitely a recommendation for sweet scent lovers, honestly it got so sweet that it started to give me a headache at one point, but it was still so lovely I stuck it out. It was only the final turn towards powder that convinced me we were not meant to be.

Yep, fruity in the bottle, and once applied, I get a fascinating rotation of the scents...kumquat at one minute, lychee another, and suddenly the merest hint of the pine resin deepening the overall effects. Today is gray and rainy, but this is a very comforting scent right now. Not too light, but warming. A little floral, a lot of fruit, but well grounded.

This dries down to almost Jolly-Rancher sticky sweet fruit on my skin and then disappears after a few hours. Only a meh, really.

Rating: 2/5

Disclaimer - I do not usually like fruity, sweet smells AT ALL.

HOWEVER, I love Fire Pig. Even hours after application, smelling my wrists makes my mouth water. It is sweet and tart.

Just smelling it from the bottle enhances one's mood - you simply CANNOT be grumpy if you smell this. I am happy go Lucky. Better than Prozac.

The smell right out of the bottle is ripe, luscious fresh summer fruit.

Wet on skin, it turns more floral. I usually do not agree with florals but this is a soft sensual floral - it was described as tropical and I would agree with that.

I also got a brief, lovely waft of candy necklace.

Drying, it softens and turns warm and soft instead of so bright. Makes my heart race.

Even if the brightness and loudness scares you out of the bottle, you should give Fire Pig a try!

yay! what a wonderfully happy fruity blend!

Reminds me of Thalia, except more peachy/orangy, but also has that sparking sweet fruit sort of *ping* to it that i'm in love with. light and happy, but with good throw and staying power, a light floral and juicy citrus fruit w/ a little bit of sweet fruit. Tangy and fabulous, perfect to wear in the winter when you'd rather be on a sunny beach eating some sort of ripe tropical fruit.

This is a light-hearted, happy, fruity, celebrative scent. It's very feminine and young but not "girly." You can definitely smell the lychee. The floral elements are not overwhelming. Overall, it's a nice, clean, happy scent. Perfect for spring/summer or any day you just need a "pick-me-up."

Edited by greymatter

I was surprised to see pine resin in the listed notes here, because this scent is so light, juicy, and effervescent. Wet, it's pure juicy lychee, and when it dries I can smell the peony and some light green floral notes, though it's still predominantly fruity. Very light, happy, and joyful, and a scent that you might expect a kitsch Shanghai beauty in an old-fashioned Chinese advertisement to wear. :P

Finally managed to get my mitts on a bottle of this, since I'm Year of the Pig.

In bottle: Fruity, juicy, a heavy hint of lychee, bit of floral.

@ application: Heavy fruit, mainly peach and lychee, kind of sticky smelling.

@ 15 min: The fruit starts to blend with the floral, and it's a bright, tropical-island kind of scent.

@ 1 hr: Softens to just hints of the fruit and flowers. It's still a total pick-me-up without being in your face.

Glad I managed to find this one. I can only describe it as a "cheerful" kind of scent; the fruit goes heavy initially, but the stickiness dies down quickly leaving just the yumminess.

I love Fire Pig. It is just ripe happy fruits on my skin, that stay sweet and juicy with a dash of flowers.

It makes me smile everytime I wear it. It smells incredible in the summer too; it even outlasted Las Vegas' 100+ heat.

Expectations: I will be shocked if I like this. The mix is too complicated, and I'll probably end up with pine and the florals.

In vial: Warm fruits, with a bit of spice. Not at all what I expected.

On skin, wet: Fruity floral. No particular notes stand out, but I get a hint of Band-Aids from the mixture.

On skin, dry: Oh, I like this! Slightly more floral than fruity now, but it's well-balanced.

After time: The scent is staying the same, but it's fading and has little throw. I'm desperately hoping this is because I'm working with a sniffie-sized amount, because this scent is gorgeous. I've been a bit sneezy since putting it on, and am choosing to attribute that to other factors because I don't want to assume such a lovely scent caused it.

Conclusion: I'd definitely like a full imp so I could try it in larger quantities. My biggest qualm with Fire Pig is that the name doesn't go with the scent. I'm sure it does to people for whom the symbolism has significance, but for me...I read "Fire Pig" and think "jalapeños and bacon".

In the bottle: Strong, somewhat sweet fruit, with a light, clean floral background.

Wet: Much more floral, less fruity. Beautiful white floral, delicate and feminine, but not weak. This actually quite a potent, slow-drying oil. The citrus is clearly coming out now too, and it's lovely - the tangerine in particular - it's adding some freshness and spirit. I'm not smelling any green, herbal, or woody notes at this point. As for fruitiness, I'm getting the lychee and peach blossom the most.

Dry: Yay, the woods have come out a bit.

Summary: I like this alot, the florals are lovely as are the citrus and woods, but I think it's still a tad too fruity for me.

I tried this when I was new to BPAL and less tolerant of heavy fruit; now I wish I'd kept this! :P

I was able to score a partial bottle of this on ebay and I am very thrilled with Fire Pig. I hope I can find a back up when I run out! It's VERY exotic smelling, the lychee note instantly hitting me and sending sweet wafts my way. The final dry down is still very soft and sweet, a creamy floral, I think it's probably the peony. It's quite intoxicating! On my skin, none of the other notes were as prevalent as the lychee and peony. It's a cross between a sweet fruity scent and light creamy floral -- perfect for quiet evenings out or somewhere formal.

I purchased this on a recommendation from someone on the LiveJournal forums whom I'd told that I loved fruit and foody smells. When I looked at the ingredients (after I'd purchased it, of course, since I'm practical that way), I went "PEONY? EW. Bamboo? Willow? WTF? I hate these floral smell things!" Luckily for me, none of those came to the immediate forefront - they all blended really well to create a scent that I can't really define, except to say YUM. :P

Now that I have it, it's the one scent that I can count on to consistently smell BEAUTIFUL on me, and I've gotten a number of compliments from coworkers (including those who routinely complain about others wearing too much perfume). All I want is MORE. More bottles! What will I do when I run out of this?

The throw isn't wonderful, but the scent is great - smooth, mellow, and comforting. It's a very happy blend for me.

I adored Earth Rat, so I had to try Fire Pig... despite sharing so many notes, they are markedly different scents. Wet, the peony is very prominent - the big pale pink blossoms, fluffy & soft, but in no way overwhelming. Hooray - another floral I can wear! :D A bitter, pithy citrus & bamboo are there, too, grounding things & giving Fire Pig a very chilly, bracing feel. If I close my eyes & inhale deeply, I can just about pick out the lychee - I was hoping for BIG lychee, but it's still nice. As it dries, more of the tart citrus comes out, juicy & snappy, along with a trace of pine sap. Whereas Earth Rat was sugary & smooth & green, Fire Pig is piquant & orange, with lots more of the tangerine in play.

I'm not much for fruity scents, but Fire Pig is a welcome exception - I can see why zankoku_zen loves it so, and am grateful to her for sharing it with me :P