Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cegirls

Finding BPAL blends similar to Dior perfumes....

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to say that I recently received a frimp of Horreur Sympathique from the Lab, which I forwarded on to my mother-in-law. Her signature scent is Poison by Dior, and she said that she thought Horreur Sympathique was very similar (and that she really liked it).

According to this site, the fragrance notes for Poison are:

• Top Notes - Coriander, Plum, Pimento, Anise, Rosewood
  • Heart Notes - Rose, Tuberose, Wildberries, Carnation, Honey, Cinnamon, Orange Blossom, Jasmine
  • Base Notes - Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Vertiver, Heliotrope, Opopanax, Vanilla, Musk

The Dior website describes Poison thusly:

Some perfumes are born a myth. Heady, mysterious and revolutionary since its creation, Poison is Dior’s ultimate weapon of seduction. Its exceptional, exotic alchemy is created by a rich blend of spicy, fruity and amber notes warmed by honey and musk - an unsettling, charismatic and unforgettable oriental.

FRAGRANCE DESCRIPTION

WORDS TO TELL ABOUT IT

Spicy, Fruity, Amber The original fragrance for a captivating and audacious seduction

TOP NOTE

CORIANDER: Produced in Russia and distilled in water vapour, coriander is regarded as a herb and mainly used in cooking. Containing linalool, coriander brings a fresh, zesty, peppery quality to fougere, citrus and chypre fragrances. It reveals its mysterious, bewitching power in the top notes of Poison.

HEART NOTE

TUBEROSE: Imported from India to Europe around 1600, the tuberose is a herbaceous plant bearing clusters of strongly scented white flowers. In the heart notes of Poison, tuberose has overtones of fruit and jasmine. In Miss Dior Chérie extract, Indian tuberose absolute is a very heady floral note with accents of honey and orange, lending a noble, luxurious intensity.

BASE NOTE

OPOPONAX: Opoponax is a myrrh or gum resin that oozes from the bark of a tree found in Africa and the Middle East. The velvety, balsamic scent of opoponax forms the bewitching, mysterious dry-down of Poison.

For comparison, the notes for Horreur Sympathique are: blood musk, golden honey, thick black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax, and sugar cane.

I love the dark, mysterious feeling of Dior Midnight Poison. Could you reccomend any BPAL scents for me?

Also, I love Blood Kiss, so if you have any reccomendations for me based on that.

Thank you!!

This one is a little tricky to acquire, but I found that The Girl(Halloweenie, Literary Vampire), smells very similar to Dior's Hypnotic Poison(I've never smelled Midnight, but I approximate it might be in the same family as this). Vasilissa in the GC(under the Marchen section, I believe) has a different combination of scents to it, but a similar feel as well(to me).

That's really interesting, moonberryjam - Hypnotic Poison was my favourite perfume pre-BPAL :) I wouldn't have picked The Girl or Vasilissa as smell-alikes for it though.. to me, those two are more 'pink' and 'girly', just overall more 'pretty' - Hypnotic Poison on me is all about the sandalwood and vanilla. But I can kinda see what you mean, and I agree that Vasilissa is very similar to The Girl which is handy, since The Girl is so hard to find!

Brittany - I also love Blood Kiss, and I've only ever had a sample spray of Midnight Poison ages ago but I remember it was quite dark and lush.. it's got black rose and patchouli in it, if I remember correctly, and a nice rich vanilla. If you love those deep, dark and 'mysterious' fragrances then you've got sooooooo many choices in BPAL!! One that comes to mind is Lucy, Kissed - this came out as an LE a little while ago from the Trading Post, so it's no longer available, but you may be able to find it in the For Sale section of the forum. Some GC blends you might want to check out are Depraved, Vixen, Hunger, Perversion, Darkness and Ravenous. Dionysia and Mme. Moriarty from Carnival Diabolique might also be worth a try.

See if you can identify which specific notes you most enjoy in Midnight Poison, then you can use the search function on the BPAL website to find which blends contain those notes - that's a good way to find things that might match up with what you like.

Good luck in your search! :smile:

I must be the only one who gets a lot of root beer from Hypnotic Poison! I get a heavy dose of sweet vanilla, a tiny hit of almond, and that fizzy root beer smell. As it wears on, it gets muskier, but it still smells wonderfully sweet to me.

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener is similar on my skin, and incidentally, they layer beautifully together (and add a dab of Hand of Glory with that? Heaven.) The vanilla is so unique however, I don't know if I've smelled a BPAL like it!

It's one of my favorite commercial perfumes, the one I reach for when I want to smell..er...hypnotic..

Am I the only one who gets some root beer?!

A million years ago, I used to wear and love a Dior perfume - "Diorling" which is no longer made. It is described as "chypre, with notes of hyacinth, bergamot, iris, jasmine, roese, vetiver, pacholi, oak moss and leather." Is there a BPAL scent that comes close?

You could try finding some Black Butterfly Moon: Lady of the Night orchid, benzoin, opopponax, currant, black chypre, white gardenia, ambergris, damp, wooded mosses, and black lily.

I have no idea how rare it is, but I think it matches in spirit in several ways.

I often wax nostalgic when I think of Dior's Poison (the original, not the derivatives) because my mother's best friend had a huge bottle when I was a kid. I always used it when I played dress-up in her closet.

I'm aware that Queen of Spades is supposed to be a close oil to this (and I am looking for an oil, no EdT for me) but I am not looking for an exact copy. Something close but with the same dark feeling. I do need better night time fragrance choices, anyhow.

I really do NOT want a white whale in the form of Queen of Spades so anything that is fairly easy to come by would be welcome :)

Thank you!

I'm a massive Dior Poison fan myself. There is actually a whole thread devoted to Dior scents here. The BPAL that most say is most like Poison is Venom, but it's super rare. Like so rare, Beth is rumoured to be looking for some! :lol: I have a sniffie of Venom, and it is pretty incredible...

Another that people suggest is Phoenix at Dawn, and I agree, there are similarities. That one is an LE, but wasn't super popular so might be easier to find.

My favourite BPAL that compares to Poison is Horreur Sympathique. Poison and Horreur have lots in common (grapes, heliotrope) but Horreur is a bit sweeter and fruitier. Horreur recalls Poison for me, while being just gorgeous in its own right.

Thank you both kindly. I had found that thread but I have no idea what I would have smelled or what would have been similar in feeling or not. All I know is that Poison did work with my body chemistry which I know from back in high school when I found a mini of it and wore it till it was gone.

Venom, another white whale! I am just glad there are similar scents in the GC :) I would have gone insane trying to figure this out based on notes. I have no earthly idea what opponax or plum (as a perfume note) smell like. Now to find imps ears!

I could have sworn I replied to this thread two years ago but I guess it was a sweet smelling dream. Sigh. Hypnotic Poison is the only non oil based perfume I actually love to wear anf I searched high and low...taking many opinions along the way...for a comparison bpal or any other brand oil. Stimulating Sassafrass is the closest I personally have found to being a dupe. Somebody else mentioned it as well and im surprised only one person had. Maybe the note listings throw off the Dion fan but it really is so close to dead on...even when it dries down.

i think that 'Tender Poison' was discontinued by Dior long ago but anyone who loved it may want to try 51 from Wanderlust.

Hypnotic Poison used to be my go-to perfume, before I discovered BPAL. For years I thought it had sandalwood in it, until I looked up the notes one day and discovered it does not.

Ooh! That is still my favorite brand name perfume to date when i want to spritz it all over on my clothes and stuff. Dont suppose you have any bpal recommendations that are similar to hypnotic poison at all? That is my favorite vanilla scent yet.

Hypnotic Poison used to be my go-to perfume, before I discovered BPAL. For years I thought it had sandalwood in it, until I looked up the notes one day and discovered it does not.

Ooh! That is still my favorite brand name perfume to date when i want to spritz it all over on my clothes and stuff. Dont suppose you have any bpal recommendations that are similar to hypnotic poison at all? That is my favorite vanilla scent yet.

Yep - Hypnotic Poison has actually been mentioned a few times on the 'Looking for a BPAL that resembles a favourite perfume' topic and also there's this topic for Dior perfumes :smile:

My comment there was:

The Girl has a similar feel, but it's crazy hard to find You should also try The Antikythera Mechanism or Stimulating Sassafrass Strengthener, if you haven't already.

I'd like to add to this - The Girl is way more jasmine-rrific than HP. I would also now mention Sybil, which has Egyptian Musk and a lovely dry bourbon vanilla but also tea rose which makes it different to HP in flavour but similar in tone, and Cabaret Goth has a similar musky/vanilla thing going on although neither of those notes (it's the amber in CG that makes it HP-like) .

Others noted in that topic are listed below (although I can't say I agree with them all!)

• Vain Sorceress from the Trading Post
  • Dragon's Milk
  • Perversion
  • Lovers With Rutting Cats (Shunga)
  • Hamadryad
  • Faiza the Black Mamba (CD)

OK, end hijack of thread! Sorry folks :run:

I have a decant from Vain Sorceress and never ordered a bottle when it was out because it was so very floral, i don't agree with that either. I do like Dragon's Milk..I know I have an imp of Perversion somewhere i'll have to try out..and dang..Cabareth.Goth is one of those expensive, rare hard to finds like the rest of the goths I bet huh? That is a shame. Ive been interested in the mechanism one, the one that is on the trading post right now as HG but heard it was very woody in scent. Maybe i'd like it, woody just sounded odd to me. is sybil a gc? ill have to look for it and the rest..and the black mamba among others now to test them all out!