Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cupide430

Mr. Jacquel

Golden amber, hyssop, North African patchouli, and embalming spices.

Wet, Mr. Jacquel is warm, golden, and honey-sweet. It’s mostly smooth, glowy amber, with just the slightest herbal rasp underneath it, which I’m guessing is the hyssop. The spices and patchouli are much more subdued than I was expecting, they might be warming up the amber a bit more, but they’re not particularly distinct at this phase. It’s very edible without being straight-up foody; if I smelled this on someone else, I’d want to lean in close and smell them again.

As it dries down, the patchouli comes out more and the whole scent gets a little less smooth, a little… ‘dirtier’ isn’t exactly the right word, but it takes on a more lived-in quality. The patchouli in this is very approachable; it avoids being dark or dirty or funky, while still smelling unmistakably like patchouli.

Mr. Jacquel is somehow solemn and dignified, but comforting at the same time, which is perfect for the character. This is also one of those scents that’s not overtly sexual, but could definitely be sexy on the right person—it’s so warm and welcoming, if I smelled this on someone else, I’d immediately want to lean in close and smell them again.

If the patchouli got just a little dirtier, this would definitely be a full bottle for me, but as it is… I’m not quite sure. I adore the regality of Mr. Jacquel—it’s part of what makes the scent absolutely spot-on for the character—but it’s just not me. It smells like someone much taller than me, with a voice much lower than mine; it smells like someone with gentle, careful hands, like someone who knows how to be patient and still in a way that I’ve never been.

I really do love it, though, so much that I might end up snagging a bottle anyways to use as a comfort scent. I might even feel like I’ve grown into it eventually.

Edited by garbagewitch

There must be something in here that I am anosmic to. When freshly applied, the scent is so faint I can barely smell it, even with my nose practically pressed against my arm. The same thing happened to me with Schwarzer Mond, and that one had a monster throw after a couple of hours. They don't smell the same to me - just that it started light and ended up having a strong throw.

Wet: this is very light. I get cinnamon and a slight dry tobacco scent.

Drydown: it is taking on an almost black tea scent. About 25 minutes in, it has gained strength but remains a skin scent. I am still getting cinnamon and black tea, which makes me think there is chamomile in it.

Dry: there is a little bit of a musky scent, but mainly it is sweet cinnamon black tea.

This is much lighter than I expected, but it smells delicious, so I don't care.

Very much a skin scent on me.

4 out of 5 stars. It would have easily been 5 if it would have had a stronger throw.

In the decant: Super spicy amber with a hint of patchouli and hyssop.

On my skin:

Wet, it's a very deep golden amber. As it dries, the spices come back out, but the rich, resinous quality of the amber remains.

It stays pretty amber-heavy on me. I can't say there's no patchouli and no hyssop, but they're not at all prominent. It's mostly deep amber and spices. It is quite nice though personally, I have some amber blends I like better.

I was lucky enough to receive a decant of Mr. Jacquel in a recent circular swap and I love it!  It smells very classic BPAL to me, which means it's heavy on the amber with other stuff I can't quite recognize.  The patchouli and hyssop are quite understated on me; it's really about the amber and whatever the embalming spices might be.