Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cupide430

Mr. Jacquel

Golden amber, hyssop, North African patchouli, and embalming spices.

in the bottle: amber and spice

wet: strong spices and amber

dry: amber and cinnamon are popping out

hours later: still cinnamon and spice, small bits of amber and light breezes of patchouli.

i absolutely love this scent. it has great staying power, i put it on around 7 am and it's now 3pm and it's still there. i have a feeling its mostly in my shirt at this point, but even my wrist still smells lightly of amber and spices. i wonder if this ages if the patchouli comes out to play more.

i have to pick up a bottle, plus it benefits a great cause and i love neil gaiman :P

This is a difficult scent to describe. It's dark and full-bodied and spicy, with the amber adding a bit of sweetness -- very appropriate for a God of Death. But overall, it strikes me more as a background scent, something to layer under other things for added richness. So after I'd had it on for a few hours, I layered Plunder over it to see how that would work -- and it worked very well indeed! I'll probably make up a small lotion bottle with this for that purpose. No estimate on staying power because of the layering experiment. At any rate, it's definitely a keeper.

I love amber, but it sometimes goes powdery on me. So far it hasn't done so in this blend. I get a spicy, dusty (probably from the amber), herbal floral. I'm not normally big on most florals, but the spices in Mr. Jacquel manage to temper the floral into just another lovely component.

This is a great blend, but I wish it had more throw and longer wear on me. I didn't apply it as many places as normal, since I'm testing, but even on my wrists and cleavage, it is fading fast after an hour and a half.

I think that I can live without a bottle of this, though I'm glad for the imp.

Ok, so I tried this again and have changed my mind...here is part 2:

Glorious Egyptian blend! This sucker may be bottle worthy.

I'm not sure what hyssop smells like by itself, but that's ok with me, b/c everything else here is wonderful. The patchouli, thankfully, doesn't smell dirty, like patchouli often does on me. Instead, it's just very rich and herbal. Spice-wise, I am getting cinnamon and something peppery.

There is actually an oily resin in here, which might be the amber, and I 'think' the hyssop is lending a very faint floral overtone to the spices, but it's just a hint.

Very glad I got a decant of this, and it makes me feel incredibly ritualistic.

Edited by Shollin

In the bottle, this is not patchouli dominant! (Patchouli is so my scent nemesis!) I get amber and hyssop - it's warm and solemn.

On my skin, it's very herbal - almost grain-like. It's warm and dark - totally appropriate.

When it's dry, the patchouli comes out - this is a nice scent, but not a WOW for me.

Whee..

I LIKE this scent. Everything comes together nicely in this blend. I just think this would work better on a guy than on me personally.

Initial impression:

A gentle touch of earthy patchouli, lovely amber, and something greener, luring in the background.

First on:

Wet, I get greens and spices! The amber and patchouli are still there, but they're overpowered by the rest.

Dry:

After about 10-15 mins, it's a dry scent of resin – dry and dusty, really. Another 20 mins on, it's slightly spicy, but I can't tell what it might be...

Finally:

This'll go in my swap only pile, I think...

How odd, on me this was very dry and white. I didn't go back and look at the notes, and was very surprised to find out it had amber. I could smell the embalming spices, but this was almost papery on me. Dry, crackly. It seemed very appropriate and I didn't even question it =) Er, I also don't plan to keep it, because while thats intriguing, its not what I would choose to smell like.

The spices in this are very overwhelming on my skin for the first 30 minutes or so. After that the patchouli is noticeable, plus a touch of amber. Still super-extra-spicy, though.

See, this is why I have to avoid the spicy perfumes. They're just too much for me. I can only take them in small doses, and Mr Jacquel isn't the small doses sort of scent.

Edited by filigree_shadow

In the bottle: More masculine than I was expecting. Mostly I get hyssop.

On skin: Wow, the hyssop really calmed down a lot. The amber is very soft, which is nice. I don't get the patchouli much at all, which is a little disappointing, but the spices are quite nice. It's very peppery, in a somewhat dirty, dusty kind of a way, if that makes sense. It's almost got a foody smell to it.

This one bears more testing, but I'm sure I'll get use out of it.

I'm definitely getting the patchouli and the embalming spices. It smells like a faint, extremely dry, desert tomb. It's as if I pressed my nose to the desiccated linens covering a mummy. A back of the tongue sweet taste to it that's disturbing in a mummy kind of way too. :P I didn't know what to think at first but I ....like it....yes. Like it. Because I do think this sums up Mr. Jacquel to a T and he was one of my favorite American Gods characters. Hard not to love those death deities when you're a stereotypical Scorpio and Anubis has been a favorite god since I was a kid.

Hmm. I get the spicy amber, and something that kinda reminds me to formaldehyde. :P

I don't know what it is, but it's not appealing to my skin...

I have fallen in love with Mr. Jaquel. On my skin, the patchouli takes a backseat and the amber and spices really predominate. That's not to say that the patchouli is undetectable, but it's definitely not at the forefront, which for me is unusual. It's a very warm and earthy blend.

Straight out of the imp, strong perfumey amber and a little patchouli, but somehow masculine. Unfortunately, this is the kind of amber that turns to potato starch on me, so that's all I smelled for the first half hour. :P On drydown, it's a little cinnamon-ish, with a weird planty note - maybe the hyssop - and something that reminds me of Anubis (appropriate!) coming out. After a couple of hours, it's dusty, slightly rotted root beer. Glad to have tried it, but it just does not work with my skin.

Whow, this one really works for me! :P

Warm, spiced amber with just a hint of patchouli! I love it!

Very rich scent, great throw and staying power too. This will definitely be my winter favourite this year, the only regret I have is that I did not discover it earlier!

In the imp:

Spicy and herbal, kind of bittersweet, though that isn't quite the word for it, since it definitely isn't 'sweet'. Melancholy and a taste of mortality. I can definitely smell the patchouli, but I'm not sure if that's what's providing the piquing kind of spiciness. It seems to work fairly well with the other scents. A golden scent, but darkly so, not fresh or bright but old and burnished. Very medicinal-smelling.

On:

I'm a bit worried this will turn into a pharmacy-smell, which ruined Temple Viper for me (this may, looking at the ingredients, be the hyssop, which is common to both).

At first: yup, pharmacy. It smells like the pharmacy opposite the hospital in my home town in Kent.

Then: Oooooh, amber. Ohmigod, this is amber in The Lion, distant and dry as sand. The herbs still peek out a little, but not nearly as persistently. I must get out The Lion to compare. This seems a little more herbal.

On comparison: The Lion is more citrusy and vibrant, whereas what is on my wrist is much more muted and strangely comforting. While in the imp, Mr. Jacquel felt decidedly dangerous, but on my wrists drying he seems much more like "Well, this is for your own good". And despite the fact that the medicine is horrid and you don't want to take it, you trust him so implicitly that it must be good for you. It's not a scent with huge throw, this one. It's close to my skin. I can't smell it much at all now, but I suspect that's sensory exhaustion rather than anything else. The spices and the dark amber are warm and earthy and almost woody, like the whispering scent of an old temple in a hot desert climate. If I had to describe this scent visually...it would be a dark brown shadow on a golden-brown stone wall, weathered by time. I know that's odd, but...well, it seems to suit somehow. Like others on this thread, I definitely get cardamom from it, but it sneaks in subtly and softly that I didn't realise until someone said it.

Hell, yes. I love this. It has the amber note of The Lion, but muted and warmer, not so citrusy and strident. I'll probably not wear it all that often, but it's like curling up in a warm brown blanket in my favourite armchair. Have I mentioned recently how much I love the lab? :P

This is a masculine cologne blend, heavy on patchouli, yet it’s got a lovely warm, creamy spiciness, reminiscent of Blood Moon. Tons of amber, as well as cinnamon, cardamom, and other members of the “chai spice” family. It’s exotic but homey and comforting, all at once.

When I opened the bottle for the first time (note: this was the first BPAL scent I'd ever smelled!) I was actually a little overwhelmed by the strength. It was very patchouli...

I came back later and had a better experience:

In the bottle- Patchouli and spices, dark and almost sharp.

Wet- I adore it already! The Patchouli dies down instantly, and it's got a papery or dusty feel, but very warm. Heavy, but not suffocating.

Drying- A sweetness comes out on me over the first hour or so, perhaps the hyssop or amber? Not sure (I'm still training my nose).

Mr Jacquel has great staying power on me, I apply once in the morning and I can still smell it faintly by night. I like the way it carries throughout the day- it's not overpowering, but definitely noticeable.

There's something that I find very comforting about this scent... Perhaps some memory association.

Would work well as a masculine scent too, I think- but very feminine on a woman. My favourite so far!

I really loved the idea of this one. The patchouli and the spices - mm! In the bottle this is pretty good, showed a lot of promise. Unfortunately, my skin just sort of sucked it right up. It's not unpleasant on me at all, but it's also nothing very special. Another one for the swaps.

I was generously frimped this and I am so happy I got to try it!

At first I thought this would be too masculine, but once it's on it sweetens up a bit from the amber and the spices come out. There is a very slight, vaguely herbal note and the patchouli adds a bit of earthiness and richness, though it's definitely not the main note here.

This reminds me of this eclectic world shop I used to go into (not a hippie one, no headshop smell here).

I like this far more than I expected and I can't stop sniffing my arm. I'm going to have hubby try it since he seems to man up most of the unisex scents I try out on him.

Definitely keeping the decant, might consider a bottle in the future, esp. this fall. :)

I get amber + pleasant spices + cinnamon + patchouli from this one, but it doesn't go rampant in Jacquel, thankfully, as patchouli is prone to do on my skin. Comfortable and indistinguishable.

Hmm.. how very strange - this could almost be just straight-up amber on my skin - the patchouli is very very faint, and only comes out after about 20 minutes on my skin. Mr. Jacquel has that lovely glow of amber, but sadly not enough oomf or interest to keep my attention. I kinda expected him to have more of a bite than this.

Mr. Jacquel

In the Bottle: All patchouli. *gulp* Scary!

Wet: Nice! Where did all these spices come from? Silly scary patchouli couldn't block all the goodness. Yay! Oooh, gorgeous warm amber is making an appearance and swirling together with the "embalming" spices. If this is how good embalming smells, guess I wouldn't mind being embalmed (eventually). ;)

Drydown: Gorgeous blend of spices and just enough patchouli to add depth. The amber is NOT powdery (or if it is, it's not noticeable and it's a great negotiator in this blend).

Verdict: Absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't too sure I'd wanna keep this blend, because at first (when wet) it smells a bit BPAL-generic (think I blame the patchouli), but as it dries, it really stands on its own. Lovely!

ETA: Okay, it's been a little longer, and now the spices are man-handling everything else. :( The spices have taken over and I'm not sure I'm liking this now. Bummer.

Bottle: Spicy amber and a bit of saltiness.

Wet: More amber, more spice, still some saltiness and a faint whisper of patchouli.

Dry: This is true to scent: amber, spice, hyssop, patchouli. But it is more than the sum of its parts. It's exotic and skin close and smells like adventure and mystery and exoticism. It really settles into the skin and smells incredibly sexy and mysterious. It's dark and heavy and very, very sensual. It smells incense-y but not like incense. The amber and patchouli keep each other in check and really let the spices shine. I adore this scent. I've had it for a week and a half and have worn it five or six days in the last little while. It is just gorgeous and makes me feel incredibly sexy and powerful when I wear it. A stealth favourite for sure since 70% of the time amber is playdough fail on my skin.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: Mr. Jacquel if you're nasty. One of the sexiest amber/incense blends I've smelled in a while.

(Huge thanks to the lovely portalkat for gifting me with a decant of this wonderful scent to try! :heart:)

I have to agree with ClaudiaPavonis, this initially strikes me as an oddly papery kind of scent. Because of the subject matter, I have this mental image of a crackling piece of papyrus, infused with soft resins, spices, and herbs, and left to dry in the hot sun.

In the vial and wet on skin, I get a whiff of amber, backed by soft herbs and resins, but as it dries the components mesh together so well that nothing jumps out at me. Slightly herbal (but not in a green way, more of a dried herbs kind of way) and very softly resinous and ever-so-gently spicy. It gives me a creamy impression, but there's nothing really creamy about it.

Extended drydown brings the spices more to the forefront, and it gets a little bit nose-tingly (in the best way!) I have to say that this is kind of what I *hoped* Shub-Niggurath would smell like, before I actually tried it.

The more I try to describe this one, the more elusive it seems, so I'm afraid this review might no be very helpful. :\

Edited by MamaMoth