Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Mr. Nancy

Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime.

--

In the vial: Rum with a ton of lime juice in it. Sickly sweet.

On the skin: Here comes the sugar cookies! It's all sugar and lime with a backdrop of rum. It's very lovely, delicious even! Yum! *eats hand*

(edit to add Lab description) Edited by quantum spice

In the imp: Strong and buttery

On Skin: Smoky, slightly buttery rum smell

On Drydown: Smoky pancake syrup.

Verdict. I got no lime from this. :P I want key lime goodness. Alas, I was denied. Instead I got pancake syrup. Fabulous pancake syrup... but disappointing when I was hoping for limey cookies. Stupid skin chemistry.....

Buttery sugar cookies and sweet, slightly tart key lime pop up here and there, but it’s mostly rum. I recognize the rum note from Grog. It’s the one that turns sort of Playdoh on me :P It also seems like there is a tiny touch of cinnamon. I’d like some incense or a candle that smelled like this – it would make a great home scent. But it’s a little too sweet and foody for me to wear.

Another winner from the Carousel.

This is foody with an edge. Sweet and vaguely fruity, but with an uncompromising unisex note lurking under the surface.

It smells like a tropical version of Dorian.

I kept flashing on the movie Black Orpheus - heat, dance, bossa nova and tragedy.

It lasted all day, and by mid-afternoon it had turned into a vanilla pudding smell on my skin. - but by that I mean vanilla pudding made with real vanilla and fresh sugar cane.

:P

in the bottle: Sugar cookies! baking sugar cookies, omg. YUM. there's a hint of rum and lime, but mostly sugar cookies over everything else.

wet: I'm getting a lot more of the rum and lime, and there's a good deal more of the tobacco, which I LOVE, but I'm still getting more cookies than anything else. Baked now though, no more of the baking-cookies-scent. It itches a little bit, which is weird, but it smells wonderful.

dry: I smell like tobacco sugar cookies that were made with lime instead of lemon. This is amazing. I'm not sure I'll be buying a big bottle of this, but I will for certain be using the rest of this imp and then decide about that.

oh shoot!!! I really wanted the lime sugar cookies! I really, really did. But on my skin chemistry Mr Nancy turned into a maple syrup candle. :P

Why????? I wanted to love this one!

Favorite Scent Ever. Except maybe Haloa.

Reason? I posted it in my Live Journal:

"I smell like a debauched Candyland men's parlor"

What I meant was I smell like I have been debauched *in* a Candyland men's parlor.

I have no idea why this is such a sexy scent. And its very strange, because it is tobacco on my wrists and rum in my cleavage, and vanilla all around. This is an awesome amazing scent, and I may have to buy more, and then beg for soap or lotion or something, cause I am liking the "morning after amazing sexy fun" smell a lot.

I should have known this one wasn't going to work on me. Anything too sweet goes rancid on my skin but the tobacco lured me in . Unfortunately, there was not enough tobacco from this being anything but sweet on my skin.

Mr. Nancy is one of my favorite characters from American Gods, so needless to say, I'm looking forward to trying this one:

First Impression: All rum, lime, and sugar.

Wet: The sugar cookies and lime hit my nose first, but there's also something under it that's musky, slightly acrid, and adds a bit of a bite. I believe it's the combo of rum and tobacco. It keeps the scent from getting too sweet and cloying.

Drydown: sugary boozy lime with an edge: I believe that's the best way to describe it.

Verdict: Anansi does not disapoint. It's a little off-kilter and surprisingly sexy. This is the scent of the guy who chats you up in a bar,who you at first have no interest in until he begins saying the funniest, most intelligent , improbable, and fascinating things, and you suddenly find yourself thinking that maybe taking him home might not be such a bad idea...or so I imagine. :P I must get me a bottle post-haste.

This is the single most bizarre BPAL experience ever.

Wet: um, I smell the lime, and sugar cookies with a bit of tobacco, but they combine to produce an uncanny spicy & sour pickled mango smell.

On: still hot pickled mango.

3 hours later: yeah, definitely hot pickled mango achar. So delightfully weird!

Yeah, this smells exactly like sugar, bay rum, tobacco, and lime. Each is distinct and clear.

The overall impression is one of disorder, of gentle disarray. The tobacco isn't as smooth a note as it usually is. Here it smells sort of dirty, fusty, like an unwashed coat. The bay rum gives it a hint of that "cheap aftershave" vibe.

On, it's strongly tobacco and rum, with that lime lancing out. In case you're thinking that it smells sweet, it doesn't. Bay rum does not smell like the melting caramel rum you are used to; bay rum is a completely separate thing. The tobacco and lime are in the throw, stinkily.

I really can't say I care for this. In small amounts it might work, but it's a very powerful scent with a lot of throw. It's subtle, but very, very strong.

I will tentatively class this with the aftershave type scents, because of the lime and bay rum, but it's not something I can in good conscience recommend to anyone for regular wear. I like smelly, stinky scents, and this is just too much for me. The drydown is all right, but oh, that opening salvo is a whammy.

I received Mr. Nancy as an imp from a friend and I have never tried it. Where have you been all my life??? I never tried it because it sounded so masculine, but I was wrong. It is yummy!! I smell like a vanilla and rum sugar cookie with a light frosting of lime. It is oh, so good and the next time I place an order, it will be on it! :P

Mr. Nancy is bake shop sexy. I love the way it segues seamlessly in the air from something foody (spicy cookies) to something pert (lime), to something mellow and diffuse (tobacco), to something classic (bay rum). It works on me, it works on my friend Dan, it worked on a bunch of my lovely ex-coworkers, and it works on my mom (I dabbed some on her arm last month after she kept asking me what I was wearing). The trick for me is not to put too much on---when I've worn too much it gets a little sweet for my taste, but when I just dab a little here and there it's fantastic.

I kinda love the whole Carousel, or what I've tried so far, but Mr. Nancy is definitely a standout.

In the bottle – The bottle itself smells of rum, the blend of lime

Wet on me – I find the rum and tobacco overpowering. The lime and sugar cookies make a valiant effort to get through, but they’re just swamped

Dry on me – This is the same rich, fruity tobacco found in Hearth 04 and Herr Drosselmeyer and I love it. It’s cut through with the lime making it lighter and more wearable than the others.

Overall – I like this a lot. Hearth 04 and Herr Drosselmeyer are among my favourite LE’s and this is better. It’s a scent I could wear every day without it being too cloying or heavy. Although perhaps not if we get the heat wave that they are predicting this summer.

Yesterday before work I was undecided as to what scent to wear....so I let Fate decided and blindly dipped my hand into one of my bottle boxes. I came up with the partial of Mr. Nancy I was given some time ago and had never tested.

It smells so odd in the bottle...definitly lime, but with a foody/tobacco/booze background.

On me. Lime and something tropical. I kept hearing the lyrics "you put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up" in my head for the first hour of wearing. Also there was a zingy element that reminded me of Bakeneko though without the cinnamon that I am allergic to.

My co-workers liked it....though one said I smelled like an expensive cigar. I THINK that was a compliment!....

Mr. Nancy gradually settled into a dark foody/sugar-rum with a hint of tobacco mix. I didn't put all that much on, but the throw was pretty intense (according to co-workers' reactions) and it lasted the 10 hours I was at work (through multiple hand washings...)

I really like this one, but don't know if I'd wear it enough to justify a bottle at this point. It most certainly DOES fit the character to a "T"! :P

I so wanted to like this one. It's what got me interested in BPAL in the first place! Unfortunately all I can smell is super sugary cheap alcohol. It's not pleasant at all. And this disappointment happened on the same day I had some issues with Dorian. It was truly heartbreaking. (Dorian and I have since worked out our differences, but Mr. Nancy seems like it was never meant to be. Sob.) I have some coconut-lime body spray I'm going to try layering it with to see if that will help, but if not then it's off to the swap pile.

I was really looking forward to this one, especially for the lime note, because I was sure I'd love it. Either I got a bad batch, or my skin just hates this, because it was awful and gave me a headache. I can't bring myself to try it on again to give the play by play, so here are my general impressions.

I was hoping for a smooth, freshly baker sugar cookie scent that's balanced by rich booze, tobacco, and lime notes. These are all notes than tend to work well on me and notes I like. I tried this on while testing a lot of other things, so I definitely didn't slather. Just a small wand swipe on the back of my hand.

There is a distinct sugar note here, but it's a burnt sugar, much like in Crumpet Rebellion. That part is ok. But a spicy quality, like especially sharp cinnamon stick, soon comes out and completely takes over. I think that's the rum. It smells quite like spiced rum, actually. The lime might've been there, but didn't stand out to me.

So, spiced rum. That's what I got out of this scent. I was hoping for something a little smoother, but instead, it was way sharp and unpleasant. I like the boozy notes in other scents, but here it's way too much like sniffing spiced rum in the bottle, and less pleasantly syrupy sweet goodness.

Aww. :P I guess I'll try it again in a month or so, just to see if I have any better luck, because I really want this one to work for me.

Edited by naeelah

Bottle--Lime first, and then the a sweet boozy scent with something darker.

Wet--Lime and something tingly...the tobacco most likely. Lots of lime though.

Drydown-This does very well on drying. The lime becomes more muted and the sugar and tobacco come out to play, with a tinge of rum. One of my favorite new scents.

Smells awful and strange in the imp - very sharp with the booziness - but I put it on because, hi, cookies!

And THIS is what I wanted Shub-Niggurath to be, oddly enough. Spiced cookies, but without the harsh ginger dryness, and a lovely sugary undertone. Mmmm. I am not sure I will need a whole bottle, but it's lovely and terribly foody, which, A+.

Mr. Nancy-

In Bottle: Yummy rum and spices and a hint of the lime.

Wet: The lime is a little stronger, like lime Life Savers, but the buttery spice blooms underneath. Yow, is this yummy.

Dry: This is such a friendly, wearable scent, with its citrusy lime and the warmth of the spice and bay rum and the hint of something mellow that I'm thinking is the tobacco. I'm so glad I got this.

Overall: A great scent.

In the bottle:

Sugar (with maybe some cinnamon), cream, and liquor.

Wet:

Sort of starts out like plastic baby doll heads, but turns into a yummy cookie scent.

Dry:

This isn't exactly complex on me, but it's still yummy. It's pretty much spicy cookies. I never got a hint of the lime, which is not a problem necessarily, but does mean I'm a little weird. This is definitely foody, but not overwhelmingly foody.

I soooooo wanted to love this, I mean SUGAR COOKIES? Who wouldn't want to smell like that???

But it goes terribly wrong on my skin, the sugar amps up to an unbelievable level until I get the worst headache ever... too much sugar obviously :P

Mr. Nancy (Neil Gaiman)

Wet: bwha? I dunno.

Drydown: Coffee? Hella sweet coffee. Oooh. Rum. Gotchya.

Verdict: Swap pile. This is not working on me, and I didn't much care for it. It may bear mentioning, however, that I don't really drink, nor do I smoke. >_> I'm silly and jumped on a decant circle for all of these because I'm a Gaiman fangirl.

In the Bottle : Wow, this smells like molded leather and a vat of noxious chemicals.

Wet : This is making me sick.

Dry : I love sugar. I love cookies. I have as previously stated by myself many, many times, an attraction to leather in my oils and an irresistible attraction to lime. This should therefore by all means be the perfect scent. The problem with Mr Nancy is that its a little too true to its description. This smells as if someone were making perfectly yummy sugar cookies and then added cigarettes and lime peels to the mix. Burt them a little and then gave them a swish of booze. I tried to stick this one out to see if it would eventually mellow out but nada. :P

Over All : My chemistry doesn't want to allow any of these scents to melt into one - they all want to stay separate and in this case its a bad thing. I can easily see how on someone else this would be a gorgeous scent but here its just asking for trouble. A part of my heart is breaking - I just knew this would be the perfect scent!

Worth the Big Bottle : Yes because I wouldn't have had it any other way and I do not regret purchasing this, but it really needs to go off to someone else.

In the bottle: Rum.

Wet: Rum+lime; a hint of pipe tobacco

Dry: Sugar cookies with a hint of lime.

This is delicious! Sugar Cookie 2005 is one of my all-time faves, but Mr. Nancy is fearsome competition -- lime definitely gives it a zing, something to offset sugary, buttery sweetness. A very worthwhile scnt, and a wonderful tribute to one of my favorite folklore and literary characters.