Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Mr. Nancy

Before Fat Charlie's father had come into the bar, the barman had been of the opinion that the whole karaoke evening was going to be an utter bust; but then the little old man had sashayed into the room, walked past the table of several blonde women with the fresh sunburns and smiles of tourists...He had tipped his hat to them, for he wore a hat, a spotless green fedora, and lemon-yellow gloves, and then he walked over to their table. They giggled....He was older than they were, much, much older; but he was charm itself, like something from a bygone age when fine manners and courtly gestures were worth something. The barman relaxed. With someone like this in the bar, it was going to be a good evening.

Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime.

In the bottle, it's all lime and a hint of baked goods.

Wet on the skin, the bay rum and tobacco come out.

As it dries, it starts smelling like a slightly spicy rum cake. It's foodie without being overwhelmingly so - I think the lime and tobacco may be keeping the foodiness in check. It's wonderfully homey, and warm and comfy, and makes me want to lick my wrist. I can totally see someone smelling this and relaxing and thinking to themselves "With someone like this in the bar, it was going to be a good evening."

This is one of my favorite new oils and I could wear it every day :P

This scent is far and away my favorite of the new scents - it is the essense of key lime rum cake, rich, alcoholic, spicy...:P

There is enough tobacco and spicy bay rum to make this more than just a foodie feast, though - this is immenently wearable.

In the bottle: Yum! Drizzling hot butterscotch... but wait, what's that bit of naughtiness peeking through? Booze! Its giving it an edge. It kinda reminds me of authentic melted butterscotch that has real whisky in it, and is served very warm, drizzle over ice creams. Love it.

Wet: The booze becomes more prominent, fighting the buttery sweet scent for dominance. Interesting. What a fun scent! Not something I'd wear, more just a delight to smell.

Drydown: The foody sweet is almost gone, and the booze is lingering. I notice the tobacoo more now. The lingering scent is definitely tobacco.

I love it. It was fun. Not something I'd wear but a fun scent to try. :D

4.5/5

EDIT: after reading the other reviews, I realized that sour zing I attributed to the booze is most definitely lime. Forgive me, my nose is still in training. :P

Edited by kat15lee

See, the only thing foody about Mr Nancy to me is the juicy, sugared, soft lime, which *really* morphs on my skin. Once it's dried, it becomes a very distinctive sweet and fine smoke - almost like good pipe tobacco - and limeade. It combines to make a scent that's almost incensey and fruity at the same time.. I'm sure I'm not describing it very well, but once it's settled down on my skin it's really lovely. I've got to get a bottle of it. Need it. Want it.

Someone put de lime in de coconut, and then mixed it up with some hot Caribbean scented sex. I am in love with Mr. Nancy, and he needs to come to my house Right. Now.

ADDED March 23:

I really loved this scent--all lime and dark undertones. It didn't work on my skin, so I gave my half bottle to my husband. One day after wearing it to work, though, he gave it back. Said he'd felt like he was wearing food all day and didn't like being asked what he had for lunch.

Oh well, not for everyone I suppose.

A friend let me try her bottle, and a day later I ordered it. It's on the way. :P

In the bottle I could only smell the lime and the cake - but on, the booze and the tobacco flowered and mixed with the other. I know it sounds like a strange combination, but Mr.Nancy is simultaneously fun, and comforting, and just a little bit dangerous. You know you'd be in a world of trouble if you got on his bad side, but who could ever want to do that?

I'm not a foody scent person (with the exception of Beaver Moon which I wear probably 2x a year) but I do like "gourmand" scents.

This scent is too much fun, too goofy - in that comforting and slightly dangerous and oddly sexy - way to be "gourmand". "Gourmand" sounds weighty, and serious, which Mr.Nancy is not.

My little taste of Mr.Nancy is almost gone, and I am waiting happily for my bottle.

Wearing Mr.Nancy is like being hugging and having a deep belly laugh all at the same time.

N.

For some reason this smells spicy on me. Kind of like spice cookies with an itty bitty undercurrent of bay rum. The lime is not prominent on me at all -- in fact I can't really even smell it. This is a warm and comforting scent to me, and I like it a lot!

MR. NANCY

In Bottle: Key lime pie and a hint of smoke

On Skin: Odd combination right? It is so interesting!!! I have to say Beth, this is one freaking cool scent. I can’t imagine anyone thinking something like this up. Want to smell unusual? I can pretty much imagine nobody around you will be also wearing a scent like this. This will make you stand out in a crowd. It has the beautiful sweetness of cookies, warm and comforting. Then a nice squeeze of lime to keep you from getting too comfortable and falling asleep and all of this surrounded by a nice big glass of rum in a dark little smoky bar. It’s sexy, and yummy and so unique. It reminds me of how unique last years Convergence scents were. And that same feel of sweet debauchery. I love this scent. An instant hit with me. It has a strong throw and average wearlength.

Mr. Nancy was a heartbreaker. In the bottle it smells like the most amazing lime and sugar scent. The first 10 minutes are just heaven.. and then.. my skin does something to it and makes it smell almost exactly like Sugar Skull on me. I can't handle the thick burnt sugar scent of Sugar Skull... I want to love Mr. Nancy but I can't handle what it becomes on me.

It's all butterscotch on me. Maybe a little bit of rum, but...no lime, just sweetness. It's really lovely on, although not what I was expecting.

This is beautiful when I first put it on and the lime top note comes out - it's like a grace note on the fragrance, and boy, does it ever sing!

Sadly, when the lime dies down, the tobacco and rum just go completely bonkers-strong on my skin. I barely tested it - the application was very light - and yet I smelled *very very strong*. I want to like this - it's a spicey, baked, sweet scent that seems really appealing - but it just doesn't wear well on me. I'm going to try it on my husband and see if it smells as good on him as it did on me for the first few minutes.

straight sniff from imp is sweet sugary lime cooler cookies....yummmmy!!!

once applied this gets super spicy and the bay rum is just fabulous!!! a touch

of butterscotch....after 30 minutes or so, something familiar to devil's night...

in fact this *is* devil's night but with lime & bay rum....

& that tobacco is just fantastic....i love this and need a big bottle!!

Sugar Skull + lime. This is strong as hell and has throw for MILES. On the drydown it gets a bit spicy and holiday-esque. I like the drydown, but I don't like the wet stages much at all.

It doesn't make me queasy like Sugar Skull did -- I think the lime cuts the gooey sweetness a bit -- but it's just too much for me. I could see myself wearing it once in a blue moon if I were in a mood (and only in cold weather), but I know I'd never wear it enough to get a bottle.

Edited by Electra

Someone put de lime in de coconut, and then mixed it up with some hot Caribbean scented sex. I am in love with Mr. Nancy, and he needs to come to my house Right. Now.

IAWTC leik whoa!

I'm not sure that I will wear this a huge amount myself, but any man wearing it anywhere near me is NOT SAFE. In fact, I foolishly wore it outside the house tonight, and any man near me when *I'M* wearing it is NOT SAFE.

I love it, I love it, I love it.

It changes every sniff. Sometimes the lime is on top, sometimes the rum, then a waft of smoke wafts over you, and then something like ginger biscuits, and then muscovado sugar, and then back to the lime.

It's amazing. I think Monsterbait: Underbed has finally been toppled from his top spot.

my first review here ever! but Nancy made such an impression on me that I had to post it:

Oh, Mr. Nancy...Beth nailed this scent. It's the same caramel that's in Red Lantern, Miskatonic University, and (as far as I remember) Sugar Skull. On me, it smells like pancake syrup, and lasts for days. But he's a tricky little spider. I decided to give him a chance, even though he was loud and a little embarassing. At first he behaved himself, and I smelled sweet key lime pie complete with a graham cracker crust. But then he started flirting with the Indian goddess Mama Ji, occupying my wrist. She tuned him out, but Robin said I was smelling very strongly of garam masala as we walked out the door. He was still paryting strong when Mama Ji had left the builing. So I thought I'd try to drown out the noise with some Abhisarika. Nancy and the First Face of Ashtanyika made sweet love for awhile, but Nancy wore her out. He was still singing karaoke solo when the bar was closing around 10PM, so I tried to make Obtala kick him out. They didn't get along at all, and in the morning, only Mr. Nancy was left standing, winking cheekily at me and smelling innocently of vanilla and snake oil. Now his garam masala scent has escaped from his bottle and has scented my entire bedroom- Mr Nancy will NOT be forgotten. That's one hell of a scent, right there.

The above review is tough to follow, but I had to chime in on the mad love for this scent.

On me this is sugar cookies with lime, but there's a brief whiff of something else lurking right underneath. Before wearing it, I wouldn't have said that a scent could be simultaneously intriguing and comforting...but I'm now, more than ever, convinced that Beth can do *anything*.

I love this one! Usually I detest foodie scents but this one! I can smell the sweetness first but the lime and the bay rum are there, just a tiny bit under the sugar scent.

This is a great one.

This one changes quite a bit from bottle to wrist. In the bottle, it's all about the lime with just a dusting of sweet sugar. Wet, it's tart lime. As it dries, the lime recedes, and it turns briefly to that sugar skull STRONG thick syrupy smell, but not *quite* as cloying. Then as it dries, the lime and sugar stop duking it out and decide to live in a perfectly balanced sweet citrusy vanilla harmony. Lovely.

Comforting, sweet sugary cookies balanced by tart lime. Bay rum shows up more at the beginning, and adds a nice, sweetish, caribbean flavor. I can practically picture those lemon-yellow gloves and lime-green fedora when smelling this.

On me, it doesn't change much from initial application to dry-down, though it's a LOT stronger in the wet stage. After ~1-1.5 hours it settles into more of a caramel + rum smell -- the lime gets eaten by my skin, I'm afraid.

Medium to light throw -- not getting much unless I'm waving the hand past the nose. Definite presence on the skin, though.

I need to try this more before deciding on the bottle, but... Wow. This is fantastic!

I'd totally date a man who smelled this good. No wonder Mr. Nancy had such luck with the ladies! :P

Mr. Nancy is very complex, with a nice blend of foody, citrussy, and smoky/deep notes. I've never smelled anything like it, and it's quickly become a favorite.

Also, for those of you who are scared by the comparisons some reviewers have made to Sugar Skull, I couldn't wear Sugar Skull and found it much too sweet and almost nauseating, but this works wonderfully for me. The smoke and lime keep it from being OMGFOODY, although it is still definitely sweet. :P

Really, I've loved all the Carousel scents I've tried so far, but this is the most stunning of them all.

Wah. I am sad, because I cannot smell the lime goodness. Mr. Nancy is all butterscotch to me, and on me morphs to something so intensely sweet that I am starting to get a headache. Alas, my skin chemistry strikes again.

Oh, well, I will swap him to someone who will love him.

In the bottle:

Mmm buttery sweet!

On me:

Wet, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Buttery cookies and sweet lime. DELICIOUS. Better than The Star even, because it's tart. Oh! There's the rum! Sweet and boozey, it compliments the other notes so well and comes off like butterscotch.

I'm lucky in that my skin doesn't seem to be eating the lime as some people are having problems with that. The wonderful thing about this scent is that it's foody but without being too foody. It really walks the line there between a scent that just has foody elements, to a scent that is food based.

Final note:

I love this every bit as much as I thought would!

Imp: :D sugar cookies and a dash of sparkling lime!

Wet: this reminds me alot of my beloved Shub somehow, same sort of foodiness level. The lime is fading a bit... but then the boozy note emerges... and it is delicious!

Dry: Now I smell both tobacco, the "butterscotch" note, and the wafts of lime, booze and sugary goodness... :P

This is divine and I have to get a bottle!!!

Edited by Browneyes

In the bottle, this was all butterscotch. But on my skin, something weird started happening. It turned to minted butterscotch. No shit, Sherlock. I had someone else smell it on drydown, and it was soft mint with a butterscotch chaser, slightly boozy. I suspect it's my skin morphing some component in the lime. But it really does go to soft mint, though there's a slight tang, which is why I suspect lime morphing! It's stayed in this odd combination now that it's dry. Kind of like an odd mint julip. Pleasant, but not what I was expecting.

Key lime pie with a cookie crust! I really like how the sour citrus offsets the sweet in this blend, making it a less cloying foody scent. The lime is a standout. Lovely and yummy!