Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Mr. Nancy

Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime.

In the imp: Sugary citrus, like an artificially lime-flavored candy.

Wet: Oooh, this blossoms very nicely once it hits skin... now I can definitely smell the sugar cookies, sweet, rich and spiced, with a touch of sour citrus from the lime. It's lovely and edible (figuratively, of course! wink.gif) at this point.

Dry: ...well, obviously the bay rum and tobacco have come out to play, because now this smells just like Perversion with lime. The sugar cookies, alas, have fled... the sweet, innocent bakery scent just couldn't stand up to the rather rougher elements. icon_sad.gif

I'm kind of glad I was too cheap to buy a bottle even though this sounded like the most amazing, delicious blend ever. Because as much as I love and adore Perversion, I was really hoping for cookie goodness here. Maybe they'll come back if I wait... *sniffle*

Edit: My second go at this turned out much differently! This time the cookie note stuck around, and the rum and tobacco behaved nicely in the background... it was just a pleasant yummy sugared lime scent all the way through. A bit faint, but otherwise really nice. Might have to be on the lookout for a partial bottle of this.

In Bottle: Woah... Hi lime, didn't see you lurking in that bottle down there. So strong I had to think twice about putting it on, it was making me a little sick.

Wet: I'm so glad I put it on. =u= There is still lime, but it mellowed WAAAY down. I smell the tobacco and sugar cookie and rum and, dear god, this is awesome. This is how Mr. Nancy would smell, I don't get the whole cookie fetish everyone else has. This just smells like pure, sexy awesome to me.

Dry: More like sweet, mellow rum and tobacco now, with a hint of lime and sugar.

Few hours later: Barely there now, I smell cookie and rum.

I love this scent, this may be the first scent I actually stock up on.

In the bottle: LIME! Hi there, I'm lime! Nice to meet you! What, those other notes back there? Don't worry about them, they're nobody. I'm lime!

Wet: As this hits my skin, the lime is still strong, but something else comes through (the tobacco possibly?) and turns this erky for a minute or two. But it's okay, because it's only a brief interlude.

Dry: The lime is much softer but still gives a nice tang, the rum and tobacco are not singing out loud as individual notes but just being warm and cuddly in the background, and there's sugar cookie crumbs sprinkled over the lot. Blending very nicely.

Verdict: Very happy with this scent - it's always nice to get a payoff like this when you order a bottle unsniffed. This is a softly sweet scent, but the warmth and richness of the tobacco and rum notes and the zestiness of the lime make it nicely complex.

In the decant, I'm getting sugary citrus and rum, a really nice scent. Once on my skin, I'm getting everything - cookies, rum, tobacco, and lime. Hmm. We'll see how this decides to play with my skin chemistry. The lime disappears quickly, happily, and the resulting cookie-rum-hint-of-tobacco makes me like it enough that I want to give it a full skin test.

Edited by Venneh

I have been on a frenzy for lime notes lately, so I decided to risk one of my death notes; whatever is common to most of the BPAL baked goods scents tends to go horribly wrong on me and, lo, it did! Even worse, while I usually quite like BPAL's bay rum note, that's not what I am getting here; it is instead the sickly-sweet, cloying rum of Grog and some of the Orishas. I don't detect tobacco at all in this, and the lime is pretty well buried (I'm honestly not sure if I'm smelling it or the sharpness of the rum).

It may seem pointless to post a negative review of something I was fairly sure I wasn't going to like, but the bay rum/rum note was a particularly unpleasant surprise.

In the vial, nothing but lime and tobacco. Not a pleasant scent... but I've been fooled before. :-) Color, mahogany.

Wet on my skin, it's Scurvy without the peppery note and with tobacco! I was right! On another note... I'm getting a *lot* of lime, some tobacco and rum, but not much of the 'sugar cookies'.

10-15 minute drydown - I like the bay rum and lime, the tobacco in this one I could do without. I generally *like* tobacco notes, but it just doesn't add anything TO this one IMO.

30 minute drydown - I'm starting to smell the sugar cookies, but it still doesn't impress me like I'd hoped it would.

This was really nice and pleasant! The lime was a citrus that played nice with my skin, and brightened an otherwise cologne-y scent. Eventually the top-note lime faded away, but the leftover sweet-vanilla cologne was really nice too. It had a "traditional" scent feel, which made me feel ok wearing it to work (and wasn't too masculine), but also a "BPAL" feel, that is classic for the scents I like, and doesn't smell like department-store nonsense. It's pretty sweet (sugar cookies and all) but doesn't smell as "foody" as I was expecting -- I don't get that "butter" vibe. Very nice.

Got an imp of this a few days ago and I tried it twice (with positive results) but I think I should do a proper test and review. (:

In the imp: Rum on the rocks with a huge slice of lime. My mouth is actually watering, haha. There's also the gentle suggestion of sugar cookies.

Wet: Lime! Lots of lime with the other notes way in the background. Very refreshing and delicious.

Drydown: The rum and tobacco step up and mingle with the lime. I can practically see Mr. Nancy sitting on his porch, drinking and smoking. The sugar cookies are still in the background, probably cooling on a counter in the house.

Dry: Mmmm, smells like someone brought the sugar cookies outside.

Overall, very yummy and so very Mr. Nancy. Interestingly, my last two tests ended up as nothing but sugar cookie with maybe a hint of lime, absolutely no tobacco or rum. Skin chem can be funny like that. Still, it's consistently been a winner so I'm glad I have an imp of this. I don't think it's completely me though (maaaybe if there was a heck of a lot more tobacco it would be :P), so I probably won't get a full bottle. Maybe a partial.

I'd say what I have is a sniffie - I'm not sure if there's actually enough to test here, but I'm going to try!

In the bottle: Baked goods like cookies with a hint of lime! Actually, I'd have to agree with Spring Snow's assessment of key lime pie with a cookie crust.

Wet on skin: I tapped it on my wrists a few times, so I think I got something on there. On me, it's still pretty similar to the wet, but the lime is fading a bit. And I think something else is coming out - I'd guess the bay run and tobacco, but there's not really enough to tell. It's almost a soft floral scent, though.

Dried down: Sniffing my wrists, I get the bay rum and tobacco (I think). But the scent of sugar cookie tinted with lime is still in the air.

Throw: It's got a little bit of a throw, which is pretty much the sugar cookie. With a little lime.

Verdict: ***** I actually really, really like this. It's gorgeous. It reminds me of Vespertilio Proterus Kuhl except instead of LIME SMARTIES!!! I get a much softer lime, which I like even better. So.... I may need to procure a full bottle of this in the future. I think this could be my go-to lime scent I've been searching for.

I'm working my way through BPAL's bay rum scents.

In the bottle I smell sugar cookies tinged with something else but the sugar cookies are too overwhelming to tell what else I'm smelling.

Wet on skin it smells much like in the bottle, just not as powerful.

After about 30 minutes it's settled down to smelling like snickerdoodles so sugar cookies with a touch of cinnamon. I don't really detect any bay rum, lime, or tobacco.

Several hours later it still smells like snickerdoodles though the cookie scent eventually fades away to leave a faint residue of bay rum.

I like snickerdoodles. I like how they smell. I just don't want to smell like one myself.

Ohhh, this is so good, from start to finish! In my last order I got an imp of Kill-Devil, and I absolutely adored it, but the single-note, sticky banana-y rum could get a little sickly. Mr Nancy has a good splosh of that same note, balanced out with spice and lime and far greater complexity, and I think it will make a fabulous summery scent - I'm very relieved to have a full bottle! :)

Freshly applied, it's bright, sparkly, sugared lime, and reminds me a lot of my beloved Velvet Unicorn - always a good start ;) As usual with lime, it fades down fairly quickly, and becomes thicker and foodier - I've never eaten sugar cookies to know what goes in them, but these cookies feel as though they have some kind of spice in them, though it could just be a trick of the tobacco. There's still a fresh waft of lime overlaying it at this stage, keeping it very clean and elegant, rather than devolving into all out foodie stickiness. Finally, the rum makes its presence known - I tend to associate bay rum with being less boozy-smelling and more elegantly masculine, whereas this is the sweet, banana-tinged boozy rum of Kill-Devil, but the tobacco keeps it grounded and deep and spicy-feeling - far more wearable than Kill-Devil. The lime does manage to cling on into the drydown, as just a background whisper of citrus.

The throw and longevity on me have been pretty damn good, my previous application lasted all afternoon, and the final end of the drydown is really, really lovely - dark, spicy tobacco with a sprinkle of sugary sweetness. Overall, it's comforting but fun, a little foodie, a little boozy, yet still surprisingly sexy, perfectly gender neutral, and I think it will get a lot of wear! :wub3:

Edited by DevilsCandyCane

Wet: Yum! The sugar cookie is really strong for a second, and I love it. Then my skin eats it, and the lime and bay rum take over. It's not a combination I am loving. Bay rum is iffy on me, I only seem to like it with certain other notes, normally things that sweeten it. This combo is actually sort of nauseating on me. Blech. Hopefully it dries better.

Dry: Ok, this morphs, big time! The lime burns off on my skin, and all that's left of the bay rum is the warm spiciness. The cookies are present, but not in the buttery way that I dislike, just as a warm golden sweetness. This smells like Christmas, on me. It's warm and spicy and comforting. Unisex, I would like it on a guy, too. Undecided about whether I would really wear it though. But I do quite like it, and would love it as a room scent.

This blend is absolute magic on me; the sugar cookie is barely in the background, just lightly softening things, more like a Snickerdoodle softener, and my skin just emanates this sexy spicy lime blend. Gahhhh!

This. This is my favorite of the Gaiman fragrances, and ironically, I thought it would be one of my least favorites. Foodies are a hit or miss on me, and this was a definite hit.

Mr. Nancy is a boozy, spice-cake dream.

In imp, it's deep, sugary and buttery, perhaps caramel, which made me hesitant to apply. (This is why foodie scents often don't work: caramel makes me nauseated to no end!) I could smell nothing but sugar and butter.

Wet, everything changes. Instantly the lime and the bay rum come out, and any tobacco (recently not a friend of mine) behaves itself. As it begins to dry, the butteriness fades slightly to allow for more spices and a prominent rum note. (Rum also seems hit or miss for me.) Dry down, it's all spice and vanilla.

Mr. Nancy, please be my BFF.

Wet: Sweet charm in a bottle! This is much foodier than I usually wear, but good lord, the bay rum and sugar cookie combo makes Mr. Nancy a man I want to know better. The tobacco is there in the background, but really this is lime sugar cookies and bay rum.

Dry: The bay rum comes out more as it dries, and the sugar cookies become more of a background note, which works for me! While still probably a little foodie for my tastes, I'll be hanging onto my imp, it's just too excellent.

In the Vial:

Lime cookie

On the Skin:

Lime cookie with gasoline. The bay rum is pretty nasty in this and I like bay rum. The tobacco smooths it out slightly a little later in the development but this is unsettling.

On the Drydown:

This is pretty good once it dries all the way down with warm tobacco, lime and baked goods but the journey is challenging

Running through my old collection, aged 10 years hah.

In Bottle: Bit limey, little boozey? Whole lot of limes, reminds me of my fav bartender's "How Do I hold All These Limes" drink haha.

Wet: Yep, definitely rum, and something sweet. Lime is fading.

Dry: JFC, this dried AMAZING on me. It's definitely sweet and drunk. Evocative, makes me want to watch To Have and Have Not. I know it's rum and something.

Looking at the notes - Definitely got the rum and sugar (read as sweet vanilla) and lime started out strong and faded to supporting the rum and lime. Definitely reminded me of a cuba libre. Not sure I pulled tobacco, but it's probably what leveled out the sugar cookie to sweet vanilla.

DEFINITELY a keeper and adding it to my wishlist. SO good.

Wet: Mostly lime, with a liiiiittle bit of tobacco.

Dry: A warm, boozed up lime. The lime is definitely not as prominent as it was in the wet stage, but it's still noticeable.

I was hoping for the sugar cookies to make more of an appearance, but this is still a lovely scent that stays close to the skin.

Edited by donkehpoo

Imp: LIME. Sort of refreshing. I just realized I haven't ran across a lime scent in FOREVER. Initial impression : My husband might really like this one.

Wet on skin: Leather lime. I mean I know it's not leather proper? But it is, go away. :wink:

Drydown: This is a curious thing, isn't it? Honestly I like this. I don't want to hack it apart to it's components. It reminds me of Dee in ways. It's almost leathery, but bright. It's warm, as it sits the more cookie-esq aspects come out. This is really awesome actually.

All that said, it's just a touch too masculine for me, as it should be. So I slathered some on my husbands arm and we'll see how that works out. :wub3:

Mr. Nancy is delicious -- a foodie that trends slightly masculine, with the tobacco and bay rum suggesting a hint of cologne. The lime note is not particularly long-lasting on me, but the rum sugar cookies last a really long time as a skin scent. Sweet, warm and cozy.

I tried this at Drag Con and thought it was very lime-forward, so I was happy to obtain a bottle through a swap!

In the bottle: Sweet, candy-like lime, backed by the rum, and then the sugar cookie. I do not get the tobacco from the bottle.

Wet: The lime is the first note to leap out at me, and then the rum joins in, and it is far stronger on me than it was in the bottle. The lime note is quick to calm down, and then the tobacco emerges enough to say hi, until the sugar cookie shows up. Then it’s like a sugar cookie with a lime glaze!

Dry: This is mostly sugar cookie on me, with much lighter lime and rum notes. The tobacco is not a main player on me. Even after several hours, I still feel like it’s a sugar cookie with light lime glaze, with the rum adding some warmth to the scent.

Verdict: This is delightful! I kind of wish the lime were a little stronger on me, but it’s really nice, and I’m happy to have a bottle! :)