Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ladymissspyder

Creating BPAL Gift Packs with a Theme

vultureguy, Those boxes are gorgeous!

I would love to come up with theme sets to get some friends interested in BPAL.

I love the idea of a Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden theme. Is there a steak-flavored bpal? Cause I happen to know that Jim loves steak!

(it's a long story, but essentially, he and his wife were at a con we attend a few years ago and we took them out to dinner)

Actually though, I'd include one of the scents that has alot of wood notes. Michael is a carpenter, don't ya know! And probably some scent that signified knowledge and old paper, etc. for the Archive (b/c I love her).

And is there a scent that smells of gun oil and courage? Because that's Murphy. A tree scent for the Chlorofiend. One of the wolf-scents for Billy and his gang.

Well, here are my candidates...

PHYSICS

Ultraviolet

Schroedinger's Cat

Event Horizon

Cathode

Eclipse

Umbra

BONUS: Nuclear Winter

DRUGS

Laudanum

Juke Joint

Roadhouse

Absinthe

Kill-Devil

Twenty-One

SEX

All Night Long

Bliss

Carnal

La Petite Mort

O

Ravenous

DRUGS

Belladonna

Opium Poppy

Languor

Laudanum

Vice

Detox

ROCK AND ROLL

Shattered (The Rolling Stones)

The Velvet Underground

Queen

Hell's Belle(s) (AC/DC)

White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)

Mr. Crowley (Black Sabbath)

Thank you. We gave one to our friend today and she loved it, along with Perversion and Hells' Belle.

Hmm, I'm new to BPAL but haven't seen any steak-smelling ones. Wood notes, I think the Dragon Bone has blondewood in it (or is it Dragon Claw that does?) and smells sandal-woody on me. I thought I'd read about one scent that supposedly smelled of parchment. I can't remember what it was, Krampus is dusty linen (I ordered it and have had my CnS for it) so I don't think it was that. Putting them some of them in a wooden box would be nice for Michael, maybe one of those boxes hand-carved in India you get in import stores? I like my Satyr, it's a nice scent for men but not a strong 'wood' connection (unless you consider the pipes they play).

Gun oil and courage? Not sure but if there was I'd buy it! :P

Check around, hopefully some of the people who have been here awhile might have some good suggestions. I'm useless---got our first order in early Dec and waiting.....waiting..... :D

vultureguy, Those boxes are gorgeous!

I would love to come up with theme sets to get some friends interested in BPAL.

I love the idea of a Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden theme. Is there a steak-flavored bpal? Cause I happen to know that Jim loves steak!

(it's a long story, but essentially, he and his wife were at a con we attend a few years ago and we took them out to dinner)

Actually though, I'd include one of the scents that has alot of wood notes. Michael is a carpenter, don't ya know! And probably some scent that signified knowledge and old paper, etc. for the Archive (b/c I love her).

And is there a scent that smells of gun oil and courage? Because that's Murphy. A tree scent for the Chlorofiend. One of the wolf-scents for Billy and his gang.

For Christmas, I gave my sister a set of six Mad Tea Party imps; I tried to pick a range of fragrances. I was giving her a Mad Hatter necklace I bought off Etsy for her birthday, and since she was away for her bday she got that gift at Christmas, too. So I did a two-occasion theme. :P I used polymer clay to decorate an Altoids tin and lined it with craft foam to cushion the imps.

I think it sounds like a cool idea. I never thought about the craft foam, I only use Kleenix.

:P

For Christmas, I gave my sister a set of six Mad Tea Party imps; I tried to pick a range of fragrances. I was giving her a Mad Hatter necklace I bought off Etsy for her birthday, and since she was away for her bday she got that gift at Christmas, too. So I did a two-occasion theme. :D I used polymer clay to decorate an Altoids tin and lined it with craft foam to cushion the imps.

The Wicked Women Pack: Blood Countess, Jezebel, Catherine, Lady Macbeth, Regan, and Morgause

The Midnight Magic Pack: Arcana, Bewitched, Incantation, Magus, and Voodoo

The Dark Pack: The Black Tower, Omen, Zombi, Nephilim, Nosferatu, Cthulhu

The Ghostly Pack:Ouija, Phantasm, Seance, The Ghost, Haunted, The Phantom Wooer

The Victorian Pack: Antique Lace, Intrigue, Masquerade, Lucy's Kiss, Dorian, London

moonarcana, I LOVE the Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll packs!!! Fabulous!

My contributions...

ANIMAL SPIRITS

Bastet

Fenris Wolf

Coyote

The Lion

The Dormouse

The Raven

MYTHICAL CRITTERS

The Unicorn

Chimera

Ladon (or your favorite Ars Draconis)

Black Phoenix

Imp

Goblin

GEOLOGICAL

Black Pearl

Black Opal

Blood Amber

Brimstone

Obsidian Widow

Tombstone

This is too much fun!

The New Wild West Steampunk Pack:

(thanks for all recommendations by the way)

Galvanic Goggles

Phoenix Steamworks

Antikythera Mechanism

Tombstone

Bordello

Coyote

Because of this thread, I was inspired to create an intro-to-BPAL gift for my sister (for this Christmas) based on the Disney Classic Sleeping Beauty. (Grownups can love it, too. :P ) At one point this list expanded to 18 imps, but now I've got it "narrowed" to 12. I was trying to capture the story with both scent and name, while respecting what I know of my sister's preferences. (Apricot and vanilla, no cinnamon. I have a vague feeling she opposes lavender. More to the sweet/light side than heavy or dark. Although BPAL changes many minds...) Here's my current list, along with the concept from the movie it should suggest:

Title: La Belle au Bois Dormant (A gentle, lovely scent, slightly soporific, but beautiful in its quiet repose. Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.)

Fairy Godmothers: Fae (A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.)

Maleficent's Curse: Malediction (Evil incarnate. Revel in your dark side with this romantically cruel scent. Contains red patchouli and vetivert.)

Birthday Cake: Eat Me (Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.)

Prince Philip: Wilde (alt: Saint-Germain, Wolf's Heart) (A sophisticated traditional gentleman’s cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli’s passion, tonka bean’s decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss’ cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.)

Love at First Sight: Maiden (A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.)

Touch the Spindle: Blood Amber (Slivers of warm, pulsating blood forever crystallized in golden amber resin.)

Enchanted Sleep: Nocturne (alt: Midnight, Twilight, Oblivion) (An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.)

Briar-Covered Castle: Spellbound (Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.)

The Dragon: Jezirat al Tennyn (The Dragon’s Isle: smoke and fire, earth and wind. The rage of the elements blasting over a primordial paradise.)

Sword and Shield: Great Sword of War (Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.)

True Love's Kiss: Aglaea, the Gratiae: Splendour (Three golden ambers, bright musk, peach wine and myrtle.)

I'm also including a copy of the movie (probably) and a set of un-themed imps based on her favorite notes (apricot/vanilla). It's been tons of fun putting together -- I hope she has at least half as much fun receiving it.

I'm not ordering for a while yet, so tweaks and suggestions welcome!

Tacey

Because of this thread, I was inspired to create an intro-to-BPAL gift for my sister (for this Christmas) based on the Disney Classic Sleeping Beauty. (Grownups can love it, too. :P ) At one point this list expanded to 18 imps, but now I've got it "narrowed" to 12. I was trying to capture the story with both scent and name, while respecting what I know of my sister's preferences. (Apricot and vanilla, no cinnamon. I have a vague feeling she opposes lavender. More to the sweet/light side than heavy or dark. Although BPAL changes many minds...) Here's my current list, along with the concept from the movie it should suggest:

Snipped

I'm also including a copy of the movie (probably) and a set of un-themed imps based on her favorite notes (apricot/vanilla). It's been tons of fun putting together -- I hope she has at least half as much fun receiving it.

I'm not ordering for a while yet, so tweaks and suggestions welcome!

Tacey

Some of these you picked already but this is what i would make a 6 imp set of:

For the Princess Maiden - Ars Amatoria - A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.

For when the Raven finds Briar Rose The Raven - Bewitching Brews - Sleek, dark, and ominous. Violet and neroli mingled with iris, white sandalwood and dark musk.

For Maleficent Wicked - Diabolus - Rich myrrh and jasmine draped in the subtlest rose.

For when The Prince is in the Dungeon Love's Torments - Ars Amatoria White sandalwood, neroli, and vetiver.

For Wen she is Asleep The Sleeper - A Demon in My View - Night-blooming jasmine, opium poppy, wild rosemary, Calla lily, oakmoss and crypt musk.

For the Battle The Great Sword of War - Come and See Sin & Salvation - Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.

To make it 12 I would add:

For the Pricking of the Finger Blood - Bewitching Brews - A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

For the Death of the Dragon Dragon's Heart - Ars Draconis - Dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

For the Forest of ThornsStrangler Fig - Rappaccini's Garden - Rooty, woody, with deep green tones.

For the Curse Spellbound - Ars Amatoria - Three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

For the Fathers Toasting Grog - Bewitching Brews - GROG Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

For the Fairies Fae - Bewitching Brews - A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

And for your reference here are most of the scents that have apricot.

Depraved

Fruit Moon (2005)

Haloes

Katharina

March Hare

Monster Bait: Ventriloquist Dummy

Screeching Parrot

Thaleia

Yerevan

Oooo, NeuroticaGirl, you have some great ideas! I especially like the Raven (I never thought of that at all!) and the Strangler Fig. I considered I Died for Beauty for the Prince in the dungeon, but I like your pick of Love's Torments better. And I really wanted Grand Guignol for the father's toasting at the celebration feast -- I only cut that scene to keep the total # manageable. I think I'm going to be tweaking my list again!

Thanks for the list of the apricot scents, too. I think I knew most of them, but you hit a couple I'd missed. This is such fun!

Tacey

What, no one's done Uppity Women yet?

Anne Bonny

Hermia

Katharina

Alice

Queen of Sheba

Agnes Nutter

Pepper

Lilith

Nemesis

Alecto

I personally would package them with a copy of Uppity Women, as well as bell hooks' feminism is for everybody and possibly Inga Muscio's Cunt depending on how likely the recipient would be to clutch her pearls and grab her smelling salts over it.

I'm trying to come up with an imp pack for my sister-in-law who is way cooler than I will ever be. :P She's doing her masters in Victorian Literature. I was thinking of Wilde, and Dorian, but I need 4 others to round them out. I was hoping not to concentrate solely on Wilde. Any suggestions? :D

If we stretch your parameters to 19th Century literature, there's a bunch of things in Bewitching Brews:

Coleridge - Kubla Khan

Dickinson - I Died For Beauty

Keats - Ode on Melancholy, La Belle Dame Sans Merci

Shelley - Ozymandias

Swinburne - Hymn to Proserpine

Yeats - Ephemera

That's just in one category - I know there's many more :P

I'm feeling too lazy to check dates to see who qualifies as Victorian.

Alterosen! Thanks so much for your help! Yeats, Swinburne and Dickinson fall into the Victorian period. Coleridge, Keats and Shelley were all slightly before. Her favourite authors are the Bronte sisters, the Brownings, Dickens, James Joyce, Thackeray, George Elliot, Thomas Hardy, etc. She also loves Sylvia Plath and EA Poe. So maybe I should include the Raven? :P

If we stretch your parameters to 19th Century literature, there's a bunch of things in Bewitching Brews:

Coleridge - Kubla Khan

Dickinson - I Died For Beauty

Keats - Ode on Melancholy, La Belle Dame Sans Merci

Shelley - Ozymandias

Swinburne - Hymn to Proserpine

Yeats - Ephemera

That's just in one category - I know there's many more :D

I'm feeling too lazy to check dates to see who qualifies as Victorian.

my keyboard broke last night, so I couldn't post, BUT I did do a lot of poking around to help =)

Ode On Melancholy (Keats)

Victoria (haha)

Black Tower (Yeats)

Absinthe (haha again!)

Hymn to Prosperine (Swinburne)

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente (Wilde)

La Belle Dame Sans Merci (Keats)

The Raven (Poe - American Vict)

Deep in Earth (Poe)

Lucy's Kiss (Stoker)

The Ghost (Baudelaire)

Phantom Wooer (Thomas Lovell Beddoes)

Reaper and the Flowers (Longfellow, so maybe?)

Bien Loin d'ici (Baudelaire)

Lady of Shallot (Tennyson)

Ulalume (Poe)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Thank you!!!! :P

my keyboard broke last night, so I couldn't post, BUT I did do a lot of poking around to help =)

Ode On Melancholy (Keats)

Victoria (haha)

Black Tower (Yeats)

Absinthe (haha again!)

Hymn to Prosperine (Swinburne)

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente (Wilde)

La Belle Dame Sans Merci (Keats)

The Raven (Poe - American Vict)

Deep in Earth (Poe)

Lucy's Kiss (Stoker)

The Ghost (Baudelaire)

Phantom Wooer (Thomas Lovell Beddoes)

Reaper and the Flowers (Longfellow, so maybe?)

Bien Loin d'ici (Baudelaire)

Lady of Shallot (Tennyson)

Ulalume (Poe)

For those of us who still love Twilight, I've been working on a theme pack. Some fit better than others, but I know I would be *beside myself* to get a gift of these:

Twilight

Desire

Love Me

Delight

Eternal

Bliss

Velvet

Love Lies Bleeding

Eclipse

Shattered

Bloodlust

Blood

Lust

Love's Torments

Antique Lace

A few theme packs for your consideration:

Band of Bastards

Highwayman

Casanova

Hellfire

Libertine

Villain

Iago

Whitechapel

Dorian

... to be accompanied by a bottle of scotch, a deck of poker cards, and / or a nice Cuban cigar

The Devil You Say

Brimstone

Fallen

Old Scratch

Al Shairan

Incubus

Succubus

Hell's Belle

... to be accompanied by a copy of Paradise Lost

Let Them Eat Cake

Marie

Versailles

Vicomte de Valmont

Marquise de Merteuil

... to be accompanied by a DVD of Dangerous Liaisons or Valmont

Wine, Poetry, or Virtue (Baudelaire)

Dance of Death

The Ghost

Bien Loin D'Ici

Les Fleurs du Mal

Le Serpent Qui Danse

Les Bijoux

Sed Non Satiata

Horreur Sympathique

... to be accompanied by a volume of (bien sur) Les Fleurs du Mal

Packing a Loaded Pistol

Fascinum

Men Ringing Bells with Penises

Golden Priapus

Satyr

Severin

Incubus

with penis lollies, straws and a cock ring or strap on, depending on gender.

(Spoilered for kinkiness)

Lol that last one IS kinky! :P

Here are some of mine:

Rolling on the River Styx

1.Hades

2.Persephone

3.Lampades

4.Hymn To Proserpine

5.Hecate

6.Nyx

A Dozen Roses

1.Alice

2.Jezebel

3.Maiden

4.Spellbound

5.Persephone

6.Rose Cross

7.Eve

8.London

9.Black Rose

10.Moon Rose

11.Zombi

12.The Rose

Jewelry Box

1.Black Opal

2.Black Pearl

3.Blood Pearl

4.Les Bijoux

5.The Obsidian Widow

6.Blood Amber

I love this thread! :P

Putting together gifts like these are so much fun! Of the above I really like the Physics and Uppity Women (ahaha).

Unfortunately no one else in my family or close circle is really into perfumes/bath products etc like I am. I would just LOVE to put together little sets for all my female family and friends, but I don't think they'd use them :D

I have thought about including an oil burner in the set though...

Personally, I think a set based on a book(or movie I guess) would be amazing.. essentially like Sleeping Beauty suggested above.. I'd like someone to actually use each scent in succession as the story moves along.

I love the Physics pack idea!

Also would like to add The Harlot's House and Salome to LadyWilde's suggestion for an Oscar Wilde pack...

(and Lyonesse has a Tennyson quote, for the Victorian pack; also Aperotos Eros is by Swinburne)

The Charles Baudelaire set should also have Incubus, Danse Macabre (same poem as Dance of Death, but two different scents), The Temptation, and L'Examen de Minuit.

I don't think anyone mentioned Romantic poets yet!

Incantation - Byron

Ode on Melancholy - Keats

Kubla Khan - Coleridge

Ozymandias - Shelley

Endymion - Keats

La Belle Dame Sans Merci - Keats

Phantom - Coleridge

Darkness - Byron

Yew-Trees - Wordsworth

I'm probably missing some here - I caught Endymion and La Belle Dame Sans Merci by chance, since they didn't have quotes, and there may be others that are the titles of Romantic poems but that don't have quotes in the descriptions.

But wouldn't it be fun to make a six-imp pack with one from each of the major Romantic poets! Except Blake, but I don't like him and might just throw in an extra Keats. ;)

(Both this and the Baudelaire set could have Laudanum or Opium Poppy!)

Poe

The Raven

Ulalume

Deep in Earth

El Dorado

The Forest Reverie

(yes, I know there's a discontinued Poe collection - this is just GC)

Biblical women

Queen of Sheba

Jezebel

Bathsheba

Salome

Magdalene

Eve

Sacred Whore of Babylon

maybe Lilith, Lilium inter Spinas, Ave Maria Gratia Plena?

These are also all GC and impable. I know there are more in LE/Salon that fit - the Lupercalia Love Poems series definitely has some Wilde and Blake, at the very least, and the Salon has some Biblical women and a Blake painting - but it's harder to make a pack scrounging up decants...

I shouldn't have joined this thread...I love categorizing! There goes my time!

Edited by reconditarmonia