Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Voleuse

Dark Delicacies

Black Phoenix's Dark Delicacies blend is the embodiment of sinister sensuality. It is a heady and darkly romantic blend of devil's trumpet accord, black orchid, tonka, coconut meat, fruit gums, osmanthus, smoky resin, myrtle, and Indonesian patchouli.

bottle: surprisingly fresh and light
wet: slightly darker, the coconut is apparent (although not sweet - this is the fresh stuff), as is the orchid and a hint of a dark green note I can't quite catch in full
dry: richer and headier at the same time. this is slowly growing darker, smokier, and deeper in tone
later: omg resiny loveliness, smoke, patchouli, orchid - this is heaven!!

Heh, I had rather a different reaction than Juniperus. :P

In the bottle: BLACK MUSK. (This might not be so bad except that on me, black musk = dark, heavy, harsh, a little like turpentine!)

Wet: BLACK MUSK.

Dry: BLACK MUSK.

Hours later, somehow the black musk backs off and there's a very pretty warm, slightly fruity floral, and I can kind of see why people who like black musk actually like it. But wow, I'm not prepared to wait out the black musk to get there, sigh.

This is a lush, complex floral that is like the lovechild of Thierry Mugler's Angel and Dior's Poison on me. I'm not even going to try to describe the individual notes. It's a sexy, femme fatale scent that doesn't scream for attention. This is the scent of a dangerously beautiful woman who is worth every minute of the trouble she'll bring you.

Wet: Orchid, patchouli, something fairly sweet.

First on: Creamy, sweet orchid and patchouli+resin. Maybe a hint of tonka. Pretty amazing.

Dry: The orchid is more predominant as it dries down, but it's mostly the same. Sweet with some depth, and creamy.

In the imp: Dark florals and clear resins.

Wet: There's a Tonka truck full of patchouli in my virgin pina colada!

Drydown: I can see why some find this perfumey -- it's very heady. The throw is huge and magnificent, really using the almost bristly note of the datura to advantage. The patchouli remains present, but isn't overbearing. During drydown, the blend continues to smell damp, almost as if the Lab's "rain" note were involved somehow -- not that this is aquatic, but that it is entirely consonant with the thunderstorm remnants outside my window as I type this! I love the way the fruit gums are used. Come to think of it, there really isn't anything in this I don't like -- I mean, who hates sultry smokiness? Ah, the wonders of twoo wub.

Wow – this is a spectacular scent! It’s even better than I thought it would be. :P

In the bottle, this reminds me of Black Moon, the orchid I think. But darker and richer.

Once applied, the orchid remains, but other elements come out. Now I’m picking up the patchouli that reminds me of the patchouli in Mme Moriarty. It’s sweet like there’s vanilla in here but I don’t remember seeing that listed. There’s a hint of coconut in the background.

This is a lush, rich, exotic, sexy scent. There’s a slight fruitiness that melds so good with the orchid and other dark florals. There’s a rich, strong resinous base that with the patchouli grounds the blend and makes this so sexy. I never thought that I was a fan of florals - I wasn't for the majority of my scented life. But over the last year, that's been slowly changing and this oil had a lot to do with it. I am absolutely in love with this scent and it reminds me of dark velvet, moonlit nights, and seduction.

It reminds me of Black Moon, Mme Moriarty, Ravenous, Queen Mab.

In the imp: Coconut, fresh patchouli, light floral (but not the orchid)

Wet: Coconut and floral--very green scent. This must be the Devil's trumpet accord, as it really does not smell like orchid would on me.

Drydown and wear: As the scent dries down, I'm really struck by how clean it is. Although there is the slightest hint of patchouli and resin the background, both are very clean and do not suggest any sort of dirtiness. The coconut that was prevalent during the wet stage now gives way to soft florals. I can now smell the orchid note blending with the devil's trumpet accord. These florals seem to burn off a bit and reveal a coconut that is the final stage of this scent. This one is complex and a morpher. A very nice blend.

It's a very clear, crystalline scent of fruit gums and poisonous sweet flowers; it does feel a little dark and grounded by a slight musk and what smells like the same green, tea-like patchouli leaf of Mme. Moriarty.

In the imp: Lightly floral with a deep resin tone.

Wet: Wow, hello patchuli and resin! And I think I smelled something like incense or clove? Either way, it was super strong when first applied.

Drydown: Once I got past it's initial "WHOA STRONG!!" scents, this was actually pretty nice. Very rich, smoky, and sexy. It reminded me of a slightly more masculine, not as sweet Snake Oil kind of scent. I think this would smell fantastic on a boy. :P

Bottle: Some sort of floral, with a vaguely aquatic tone.

Wet: Ragged patchouli and resins.

Drydown: Very faded resins.

Dry: Really, really faint resins.

My rating: 2/5. It's a nice enough scent, but zero lasting power on my skin.

bottle: this is a dark patchouli with a deep fruity note.

wet: the resin scent comes out a bit as soon as i put it on. there is something aquatic here as well. i'm also getting hits of coconut every little while. so a coconutty resin against an aquatic backdrop. interesting!

dry: this has dried to a very light, breezy aquatic. not what i was expecting at all, especially with the patchouli in there, but very, very nice.

On first application and in the bottle, it's very sharp and earthy with a bit of dark, smoky florals. It has a little sweetness, but it's very subtle.

After it dries on my skin, the sharp feeling goes away and a smooth smokiness comes forward. The orchid gets a bit stronger and adds sweetness, and the tonka adds a slight creaminess. The patchouli is there, but it's subtle and adds a very slight dark, earthy feel to the blend. I don't get any coconut at all. This blend is deep, dark, smoky, and resiny-sweet.

when i first sniffed this, all i could think is that it smelled like that BPAL-box-smell. y'know, when you've got a few dozen (or more) imps or bottles in a box or tin (something with a lid) and you open it...

that everything-all-mixed smell?

on skin, at first it still smelled like BPAL-box, with no scents or notes leaping up so i could pin a name on the scent.

after an hour or so, i get something that smells like Black Pearl, but with tonka or resiny depth - but there's also something sultry/smoky and very naughty going on in there somewhere. sadly, i never get any patchouli.

overall, i like it... but it registers on me something like O and Black Pearl layered. a little too deep and dark for me to reach for often, but i'm glad i've gotten to try it!

This doesn't smell nearly as "dark" as I was expecting. At first sniff and after the initial application I was prepared to dismiss this as smelling too much of traditional perfume. As it dried I was more and more surprised. I associate this very strongly with CK's Euphoria. Not sure exactly why. I like the bracing depth and rewarding sweetness. I only have a decant, but I'm considering a bottle now that I've had a chance to try this. Proper and deviant at the same time. Worth a try.

I ordered this at the same time as my Teenage Cannibal and Vampire from Planet-X. It came presented in the lovely black velvet BPAL bag with a silver stamped imp cavorting on the front.

In Bottle:

slighty fruity dark musky resin, maybe a whiff of patchouli upon exhaling

Wet:

pretty much the same.

Dry:

yum. yum. yum. I had to keep smelling my wrist. It reminds me vaugely of Lush Icon but a little smokier. Fruity yet dark musky resinous patchouli. Sticks around for a good long time.

I ordered two more bottles.

Expectations: Sounds a little too heavy and incensey for me.

In vial: Strong commercial perfume. It reminds me of one that I can't recall the name of, but it came in a bottle with ridges and a tall red cap. Spanish something, maybe?

On skin, wet: The sharp chemical smell is gone, and it now reminds me of a scented toilet paper roll holder we had when I was a child, with little plastic perfumed beads in it. I'm getting mostly floral from this (definitely can pick out the orchid, but I'm unfamiliar with the others). Not bad.

On skin, dry: Little change from wet. It blends together well and no single note is standing out.

After time: In the first 30 minutes, the scent has wavered between well-blended florals and sharply chemical. I'm not loving this (in either version), but it has very little throw so I only have to smell it when I do so deliberately. After an hour, it seems to have stabilized halfway between floral and chemical.

Conclusion: Not for me. If I wore slightly more of it, I'd probably get a headache.

I just tested this for the third time, and while the previous 2 times I wasn't sure if I liked it, now I'm sure I really do. Like enough to go buy some (as it's still available at DD, it looks like). The patchouli starts out a little dirty for me at first, but after it's on a while it's a floaty dark floral with a touch of sweetness grounded by the patchouli way in the background.

On another note, I just discovered that Datura is the "strange plant" that sprouted in my grandfather's yard a year or 2 ago that he keeps giving us cuttings of. :P The one my sister planted completely took over her driveway last year. I'm hoping it comes back so I can go sniff it!

Dark Delicacies

Preconceptions: Like the bottle art. I have no idea what to expect, judging from the notes a dreamy floral.

In the bottle: Strong florals, black orchid predominant, aquatics?

Wet on skin: Beautiful black orchids, sweet and smokey florals. The patchouli is there, but behaving nicely without dominating the blend. This phase reminds me of Black Moon as well.

Drydown: The coconut sweetens and the black orchid and patchouli add mystery and sensuality. Tonka adds vanillaesque sweetness as well as woodiness that makes a sweet yet earthy base. Think Black Pearl meets Black Moon then add patchouli. The orchid notes are dreamy and mysterious as well as sensual and the dryness of the tonka with the creaminess of the coconut grounds the etheral blooms. The patchouli and other resin notes add to the exotic theme. There is a hint of fruit, maybe fig, that adds depth. There is an aquatic "presence" as well, for want of a better term, like in the lunar blends.

Overall impressions: Dark and delicate certainly. The florals are not heady at all and the foody notes are not obtrusive either. The notes are complementary. Combines florals, incense and sweet coconut and fruit. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Its is hard to describe the sensuality of this blend, you just have to experience it first hand. Deliciously erotic.

Dark Delicacies-

In Bottle: Resinous scent.

Wet: Sweetness, like a candy floral, and the resin is an undertone. Very different from the bottle sniff!

Dry: The resin comes back more; overall there's resin and candy florals; since I'm not that big on resins that note doesn't quite thrill me.

Overall: A nice resinous scent but not for me.

I was lucky enough to receive a frimp of this from a lovely forumite :P

In the imp: Sweet resin. I smell a lot of coconut (not a tanning oil coconut, but a fresh, real coconut.) Yum!

Wet on my skin: Wow! Very complex...I really can't pick out just one scent. This is really really well-blended. Dark Delicacies reminds me of a perfume my mother used to wear when I was very young. I think the name of it was Cleo (??)

Dry: As this dries the floral notes become more apparent. I'm NOT someone who likes florals at all, but the smokiness of resins, the earthiness of the patchouli and the sweetness from the coconut evens it out very nicely. Everything in this blend is masterfully balanced. Someone said this reminds them of Black Pearl, I'm going to have to agree with that, except Black Pearl is a little sweeter. This blend is a lot more mature, it's something I'll want to wear at night when I dress up to go out with my friends.

Overall, I love this scent. It's not something I will wear every day but I'm definitely going to be using all of my imp and perhaps a bottle of this is in my future. My only complaint...it doesn't last too long. After about an hour it had faded to almost nothing on my skin. But, while it's there, it is gorgeous! :D

In the vial: nothing distinctive, a tiny bit of orchid

Wet: This blossoms into floral, dried fruit, coconut and resin

Dry: Patchouli, spice, faded florals.

Reminds me of Black Moon in the wet phase. There's a lot more going on here that I can't describe. But this is earthy, shadowy and sensual, almost incensy. I think it's going back to the imp box to age a while longer.

Very Dark and Very gorgeous :P ! The resins and orchid in this are gorgeous. This scent reminds me vaguely of Mme because of the patchouli, and makes me think red musk. However, it's not. Either way, I love it!!! :D

in the vial: sweet, resiny. i can't pick out any notes at this point.

wet on skin: like eating a piece of citrus fruit while standing next to a summer bonfire, under a big warm evergreen, getting dry after playing in the rain. :D

dry down:this smells magickal. more accurately, like something i might anoint myself with before performing magick. sweet, resinous, and totally yummy without being food-y, this is a total, total keeper.

in all: i'll be getting a big bottle, alright- probably several!

:P

Whole lotta notes here...wet, I get fresh coconut that begins to morph into flowers...then there's a slightly soapy floral stage. Finally I end up with barely-there patchouli; this really hasn't lasted very long and doesn't have much throw at all by the dry stage. It's very pretty while I can smell it, though, and it's interesting the way it morphs! Glad I finally tried this one.