Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

Yup, it's a man's cologne. It's a wonderful man's cologne. I would like the anime fanboys to start wearing this and deodorant. Wilde reminds me of Cool Water which is a rather sexy cologne. Well, at least in my opinion it is. :P

It keeps pretty true on me, but that's kind of a downside for me. I wanted more jasmine and bergamot with a hint of lavender. Instead it's patchouli and thyme with moss, I think.

I do have to say that Wilde is mellow yet crisp and strong. I'm of the opinion Wilde would be wonderful on almost all men. On me, it's a generic man's cologne and I'm sorely disappointed. I wanted to love this.

I'm very serious about the anime fanboy thing though. Edited by Shollin

n1k1ta took the words right out of my mouth - generic men's cologne. It smells like just about any men's cologne you'd find in a drugstore. Unfortunately, it never morphs on me and has amazing staying power. Wilde is a no for me.

yep, like everyone has said, this is men's cologne to the extreme. If you want a citrus-y crisp men's cologne but don't want to smell the alcohol found in the department store types, this is your blend. I suppose this could be worn by women, just not me, as I am not a cologne-y kinda gal. One last thing- the jasmine is absolutely not a problem in this blend, and I have major issues with jasmine. So no fretting! :P

In the vial: A concentrated sharp and visceral liquer of grasses, reeds, and white yellow musk

on me: Gah, cloying man perfume

Verdict: Killer cologne, too strong and too much like something I would not want to smell on either man or woman

i love this scent! I have made it into a perfume in order to go out. It's smells confident and sexy. When I'm trolling for ladies but still want to look fem (which works for me) I will be wearing this. It's very clean and attractive. Sorry I suck at notes! I don't smell any of the patchouli (thank god i hate patchouli).

This isn't the kind of thing I would normally wear, but I've promised myself I'll try everything that comes my way, just in case the "perfect" BPAL is one of the ones I wouldn't have tried on my own. Sadly, this isn't it.

In the bottle: It smells oddly sweet to me in the bottle.

Wet: The first thing I got was a blast of "traditional cologne" smell, followed by about five minutes of lemon during the dry down.

Dry: Under my watch (where the dry-down takes longer) it's oddly sweet-lemon scented. Sort of like really sweet lemonade with something herbal behind it. On the other wrist, the lemon has mostly died away, leaving a rather pleasant light herbal smell.

It did go through a very strong "smells like guy" phase, but now it's gone gender-neutral, if you like the strong herbals. It's still got a hint of lemon to it, but nothing objectionable. I think what I'm getting most of is the lavender and the thyme.

Nice, but not really a keeper for me, not being an herbal kind of girl.

Wilde in the bottle: Smells like a very familiar men's fragrance. I want to say Curve or Candies for men. I'm unable to pick out any individual notes.

Wet: Thyme and jasmine instantly pop through. Still very familiar.

Dry: As it dries the thyme and jasmine notes blend back into the same scent as the bottle.

Through a few hours: Wilde seemed to become slightly sweeter, but for the most part remained the same.

Overall, I like it. But at the same time it's a fragrance that I smell often at the cologne counters at any department store.

A pleasant fresh men's cologne, with a hint of herbal shower gel (probably the thyme). Pleasant, but nothing exciting to me; smells like a lot of conventional men's scents, though well-blended.

Yep, it's a really really nice men's cologne. Couldn't pick out specific notes, really; it's just very light and crisp, with a sort of tang to it. It does seem sort of gender-neutral in that a lady wearing this would not be out of place, and a man wearing it would not seem excessively masculine; I can picture it being REALLY lovely on loads of people.

I suppose it's just very "meh" for me because... if I'm going to wear BPAL, I want it to be fabulous, amazing, unique. This is AMAZING for a generic cologne but not quite what I want out of BPAL for myself. (If I were a man, though, I would probably own three bottles of this! So, you know, there's that.)

Herbal, crisp, clean, and all man. Which is fine by me, since I ignore gender labels when it comes to scents and just wear what I like, and I like this. The notes blend so nicely that I can't pick them out, though I think on me the thyme is coming out a bit more than the others and there's something that makes me think of juniper berries.

It's sexy in a clean-cut, "If you think I look fantastic in this suit, you should see me out of it," sort of way. And it's just...I don't know how to put it except that it makes me more alert. Not edgy or hyper, just awake and alert. I put this on while settling down to read my book, expecting to take a nap after half an hour or so since I was groggy, but instead I became much less tired and wanted to get up and do things. It has to be the Wilde since, really, I always want to nap.

This is a great daytime scent, traditionally masculine but I wouldn't mind snuggling up to a woman who smelled like this at all.

I get lime when it hits my skin, kind of like Whitechapel goes on me... but I'm pretty sure lime isn't in it? It's a wonderful, refreshing fragrence that seems comforting to me (it may be the fact that it also reminds me of Villain)

I like it, and wouldn't mind a bottle of it when I can afford it.

Definitely in my top 10, maybe top 5.

I'd love this to smell like tonka, patchouli, bergamot and lavender, but I'm sorry to say that this primarily smells like the evil and unfairly popular men's deodorant/body spray known as Axe in North America and Lynx in Australia. I can't get over the feeling that I sprayed my arm with my boyfriend's Lynx, so I can't wear this. I wish Lynx didn't exist so it wouldn't be able to ruin perfectly good BPAL for me.

first sniff: Whew! Definitely a man's cologne.

wet: Still cologne...the bergamot jumps out with its citrus note on my skin.

dry: The tonka and lavender start to come out as the cologne dies down.

This is very nice, but a bit too men's cologne for me to wear regularly.

Off to pin down the DH and apply it to him. :P

Wow! This is a sexy guy smell! I can understand the references to CK-1 (I used to wear that years ago)....Its colone....but VERY expensive colone!

The main notes that come out for me are a heavy mix of lavendar and thyme with a kicker of bergamot....there IS a deep, faint woody note that is probably the patchouli.

Its beautiful and I'll probably have to get more as I intend to gift this to the gay receptionist at my work.....I think he'll love it!

blah.. wow, I wanted so very badly to love this smell. I wanted a lighter man smell for my sandalwood loving boy. We both thought the combination of bergamot, lavender and moss would be a softer yummy smell on him.. but..

in the bottle it's just some over the counter man cologne standard.. I think it's abercrombie he says it's Ralph Lauren...

on him.. I refused to get near him for hours... it was horrific it was walking by abercrombie stores in malls blah... but it did last for hours and hours..

all in all nothing special just a generic smell who's individual notes don't stand out but rather blend together making a smell that doesn't agree with my nose :P

On me, Wilde is lavender, thyme, and a hint of bergamot over an aquatic men's cologne base. I am completely in love with this scent. It's masculine but not so much that a woman can't wear it. This is definitely going on my wishlist.

Edited by whiterosepetals

In bottle: Very, very strong men's cologne. Yikes.

Wet on skin: Slightly softer than it was in the bottle. It's definitely a "lilac" scent. Clean, bright, sharp . . . and slightly soapy (but not bad). Reminds me a lot of taking a bath. :P

Dry on skin: Pretty much the same as it was wet, but mintier. Is that . . . eucalyptus?

Conclusion: This is so sharp, cold and warm at the same time. I like it quite a lot, and I certainly do smell the "romantic longing of jasmine and thyme." I think it would be better on a man, but it's pretty gender-neutral.

imp: bergamot and lavender... and... i feel like i can almost pick out every note before the entire fragrance turns to 'men's cologne'.

wet: oh lord. this smells like some sort of men's cologne soap. or some god-awful aftershave. this is what i imagine quagmire from family guy smells like. this makes me think of sleazy guys in vegas with pomade in their hair and some awful smirk twisting their lips. ugh.

dry: will this scent ever fade? this is only the second time i've actually attempted to scrub a scent off of my arm. and it will not come off!

In the Imp (wet): Oh, this is all man. The combi of bergamot and lavendar makes me swoon.

On facial cotton (dry): The rich bergamot relaxes in the backseat, hat over his eyes, while the jasmine drives, ciggy in and lavendar navigates. I can see myself drooling over a man wearing this scent.

On me: This scent is very similar to Davidoff's Cool Water. My skin brings out the bergamot and jasmine.

Irish Spring brand soap. :P

*laugh* Okay, yeah. I wouldn't have thought it without having read this, but now that I've read it...yup.

But anyway, I really like this. I would love it if my husband would wear this, but I know he won't. I think it's very pleasant.

I've just got my very first order of BPAL (from a fellow member, not BPAL - that's coming in a few weeks!) and this was one of my imps.

As soon as I sniffed it I thought... ooo, how masculine! I then put it on MrB's wrists (he was willing, surprisingly) and now he keeps sniffing his wrists. It's turned into something soft but masculine on his skin and it's wonderful! Quite sexy really.

He has just asked if he can have a bigger bottle. Two surprises in one day!

A well-blended cologne scent, with a bit of that Irish Spring vibe, it's true. :P It's pretty much bergamot, moss and lavender, with some jasmine running up in the background. It softens up as it dries. I like this, maybe not as much as Casanova and Whitechapel, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. Would certainly like it on a man too.

This reminds me of Ralph Lauren Polo Sport, Estee Lauder Pleasures for Men - cool, sexy man scents that get my blood flowing. This smells like the guy I had a crush on in high school. Holy frickin hell this conjures up some strong memories! I almost feel giddy and nervous, I'm standing at my locker trying to act cool and the hottest guy in school is telling me a joke and I am careful not to laugh too hard because I'm so tense and he's so Gooorgeous....

This scent is soooo sexy. I love that I can get a BPAL like this! A man-fume that is alcohol-free and totally sexified for my man to slather on, something that isn't $80 a bottle and watered down with alcohol and preservatives.

Those of you who are interested in finding men's cologne-type scents that are a little more special than commercial scents, yet are totally approachable, should definitely try Wilde. And, Villian. Both are fan-freakin-tastic!

4.8 out of 5

I just adore the lab's masculine scents. All BPAL scents have something of a muddled murkiness to me, which plays out better with some kinds of blends (earthy, incense) than others (florals, which I feel require a more delicate touch and structure to the composition).

However, the BPAL "style" works gorgeously with masculine scents, and I honestly believe that BPAL has the best "stable" of masculine scents on the market today (big claims coming from someone whose favorite perfumes cost $200 or more =P).

Wilde is no exception. It is a fougre, like Villain, with a fresh, aquatic, "green" feel, but it's also wistfully sweet--more so than any of the other masculine BPAL scents I've tried. The muted patchouli-tonka base is immediately discernible, with the lavender and thyme adding the freshness (and bergaot blunting the herbs' medicinal tang). I think it's the jasmine lending the sweetness, though to be honest, I wonder if this is a different jasmine note than the ones Beth usually uses. Jasmine amps like CRAZY in *every* blend I've ever tried with it, but not this one, and I would never think there was jasmine in here at all had I not read the note list.

Wilde is masculine, but it's also sweet an endearing and romantic. A lovely scent indeed.