Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

Very clean and manly smelling. Fresh. I get a lot of greenery on drydown. I love it!

A very green, herbal cologne, sharp and sophisticated just like its namesake. I get a lot of the lavender and thyme, but the other notes are hard to pick out. This is very well blended.

As though I don't have enough cologne blends already ;) I just get drawn in by colognes, I suppose. That, and I love Oscar Wilde (but who doesn't?).

In the imp - a very mild, light cologne.

On wet - much the same. It's like a lighter version of Vicomte de Valmont, which I also liked, but which I felt was at times too strong so this is a good alternative.

Drydown - this blossoms into a beautiful drydown. There's still that fresh cologne scent to it, but the tonka and patchouli warm things up, moss sweetens it and the bergamot and thyme add more green freshness. Very pretty!

In the bottle: I get mint and herbs. It's a bit sharp, but not very strong.

Wet: I have to press my nose right up to my wrist to smell this, which is unexpected. Definitely herbs - the thyme, I think. It is very green, with an edge of cologne. I also get a bit of earthiness from the patchouli, but maybe just because I'm looking for it.

Dry: It becomes a bit more floral as it dries. I get the lavender and the moss now. There's a bit of sweetness, but it's mostly light herbal, slightly sharp and cool like mint. It's so light that it smells like I just showered with herbal soap. It's not what I was expecting but...I don't know, I think I like this! I think it will be nice on days when I just want to smell fresh and clean, and not like perfume. The smell remains pretty consistent in the dry down - still clean and herbal, a bit sharp but nothing that bothers my sinuses.

Overall: Clean, herbal, slightly sharp and cologne-ish but not offensive or cheap-smelling. Very light, like I showered with herbal soap. Definitely getting a bottle of this.

I love masculine blends that involve lavender. Looove. I can't wear them, I just like to sniff them. I was happy to find an imp of Wilde for that reason.

In the imp, it's sort of a gray cologne. I feel like I should spell it "grey." I like it a lot. On me, the lavender amps along with . . . maybe the thyme? It's herbal. I think the tonka is sweetening it up a little without being obvious about it.

I was a little terrified when I saw jasmine listed in the notes, but I can't smell it, so it is either behaving itself or it's the lightest jasmine evar.

It is definitely a masculine cologne, so I probably wouldn't wear it, but -- like Old Scratch -- I want to keep it for husband-dousing.

Oh... oh... I love this. It's amazingly clean smelling, like some people above have mentioned, without smelling soapy or like dryer sheets. The lavender is easiest for me to pick out, and there's a nice greenness from the moss and thyme. I get kind of a coldness from the bergamot, which blends beautifully. The patchouli isn't very prominent to me, but I can only barely pick it out, and the jasmine is so, so faint, just sort of vaguely sweetening the blend with a little bit of floral.

This is just a fantastic cologne blend. I'll be seriously considering getting a bottle.

In the IMP it smells like a luxurious sweet mint infused herb & lavender soap. On me it’s all SEXY MALE!! OMG this is amazing. It’s sweet and soft with a touch of mint, but it’s still very masculine – tall dark and handsome. Def. something a hot man should be wearing and smelling like BUT I like how it smells on me too. My skin gives it a touch of clean softness that makes it slightly feminine.

I cannot stop smelling my wrist – it makes me feel sexy and daring.

I can't pick out any specific notes, but I'm glad the jasmine's behaving (it has a tendency to go a little weird on me). I smell like one of my guy friends :P He does smell pretty good though, so it's not a bad thing! Clean, fresh, and cologne-y, with a nice hint of sweetness.

I agree that the jasmine is really subdued in this oil, which I appreciate. I'm mostly getting tonka bean (I amp tonka like crazy) and bergamot. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and because of the sweetness of the tonka, I don't see this as an overtly masculine scent. It would be wonderful on a guy, but it also smells pretty fantastic on me. :) I just wish it lasted a bit longer (it doesn't stick around for more than maybe two hours on my skin).

A frimp from the Lab, blind tested. The oil was colorless.

In Vitro Sharp, aquatic, and a bit soapy.

Wet A fresh, aquatic smell, possibly with citrus. Very nice but weak.

Drying At the ten minute mark this was, to quote from my notecard, "absurdly faint".

Strange, looking at the description I thought I would have amped patchouli at least, but on me Wilde was less than the sum of its parts.

I got this as a frimp, I would have probably NEVER choosen this for myself because it has at least two death notes for me (Patchouli turns into nuts on my skin and I greatly dislike lavander) and one I don't really care for (Thyme and moss, don't sound like something I'd like smelling of)

I decided to test this today while my hormones are making things all wonky because, well, I'd probably hate it anyways so it won't be wasted right? Also I'm not leaving the house today so it will be easy to wash off fast...

Wow, how wrong did I turn out to be!

At first I put it on and yup, man perfume, and herbal man perfume at that! I'm more of a sweet floral/spicy foody lover so this one isn't for me at all... but wait! Now the jasmine is coming out to play and it is GLORIOUS it just takes any hint of herbalness and punches it the guts and warns it to stay off it's turf turning this into a lovely floral that still a touch manly, but instead of rugged teenager jock with axe sprayed all over him it's a man with long shining golden locks in a old styled suit writing love poems *sighs* or maybe even the lady of the house dressed up so she can sneak out and walk around town, dressed in a fancy suit but still smelling sweet.

Oh Wilde, how wrong was I to judge you before trying you on! I just hope the jasmine will continue doing the same once I'm back to normal so we can continue this romance

In the imp: Interesting.... I definitely get the men's cologne. I'm not really sure of the notes, but I think I can tell spot the lavender and jasmine whirling through there. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about putting it on myself, since I've never been much of a cologne person. And my fiance doesn't really wear it either.

Wet on skin: Ooh - the first sniff of my wrists is undeniably pretty! But I could see this smelling divine on F. MY skin, at least, is definitely playing up the jasmine.

Dried down: I'm still mostly getting jasmine, but it's gotten a lot softer.

Throw: I went very light on my test application - I didn't even bother to redip the wand in the imp on the second wrist. So, not getting too much throw off of this - just the slightest hint of scent in the air.

Verdict: **** I am actually very surprised how much I like this. I don't think I'd wear it as a scent too often, but I'm dying to get F to try it. We'll see if he'll indulge me. If he will, and he likes it, I think I'd bump my rating up to a 5.

ETA: He liked it, so it's now a 5 for me.

Edited by Magycmyste

Wet, I get mostly the lavender from this. Overall, a very masculine and fresh smell with a lavender bite.

Dry, the lavender fades quite a bit, and I'm especially getting a lot of the thyme. But there is a lot of notes in here, so I'm not good as distinguishing each one.

While it was still wet I was a bit concerned, because I'm not into overly masculine cologne-y scents, but the drydown is quite beautiful.

Wilde sums up basically everything i hate about mainstream perfumery. It develops the "generic" accord you can find in so many designer fragrances that imitates ozone. For that reason, i will not wear Wilde at all, because of the association it triggers.

On me this starts out smelling like lime and dries down to all thyme all the time. It's rather clean and refreshing at those stages and more of the notes show up in between.

On my partner, it is much more complex - the bergamot, thyme, and lavendar in particular work well together. On him it is clean and attractive, and masculine without being aggressive.

Altogether Wilde reminds me of being outside in an herb garden in the early morning with a cup of tea.

In the imp: Gorgeous old-fashioned men's cologne! I've loving this. It's certainly sharp, and the bitter citrus of the bergamot is coming through strongly, as is the lavender, with the rest of the notes creating a strong background support of "well-blended men's cologne" for the more prominent notes. It's a bit of a cooler scent, probably because of all the herbiness.

Wet on skin: Still gorgeous, still with that sour-bitter-sharp thing going on (in only the best way), but now it's starting to morph. Something in this is fighting my skin chemistry. It's still nice-smelling at this stage, but it doesn't work with my natural skin scent somehow. It only gets worse from here, sadly.

Drydown: As it dries further, it gets this oddly chemical smell to it that reminds me of deodorant. It reminds me of one that I used to use when I was much younger, actually, as had to throw away because the scent was so bad (it was a clear gel one, and I found that all the clear gel ones from the brand had this same chemical scent). I wouldn't describe this scent as "dirty" at all, but it has this sharp, BO type scent to it too -- are you sure there's no musk? It seems like a weird musk to me. It's not like a skin musk, though, since it isn't warm at all. It's just...that sharpness of certain kinds of BO. It's probably notes combining into something strange and terrible. Jasmine usually works on me somehow, but I know that it can create a chemical smell on some people, so that might be it, combined with the patchouli to create the BO scent? Certainly, the sharpness can be from the herbs and oakmoss, as well, since "green" type scents don't work well on me, and can sometimes turn into detergent-type smells (I'm looking at you, Two, Five, and Seven). The bergamot and the lavender are still there, but not as prominent as the sharp chemically musky ineffective deodorant scent.

Verdict: I've now tried it twice, and gotten the same result each time. The second time, it took a little while before it went into the deodorant stage, so I thought that maybe I was just having an off day chemically the first time I tried it, but nope, it went there. I tested this overnight, so I don't really know the throw, but it clings onto my skin for a while. Even after taking a shower, it's still there, still with a faint hint of deodorant smell. At this point, the tonka and the oakmoss and the thyme are the major notes, along with the weird chemically musky something that I'm reading as deodorant. I wish this one would work on me, but my wonky chemistry got in the way. If it smelled on me the way it did in the imp, it would probably be a favorite. I'm sad about this one getting ruined by my wonky skin. :(

In the imp: Yup, that's a summer men's cologne. Bright, clean, and fresh - bergamot and a general sort of herbal-ness are the most evident. In fact, it even smells a little generic cologne-y, but not in a bad way, if you know what I mean. If it stays true to this all the way through, it's going to be a PERFECT scent for today, which is projected to be the warmest day of the year so far.

Wet: Indeed true to ITI, but maybe even better. I like my cooling summer scents to have just a touch of something to "ground" them, to stop them from being all light, airy top notes that feel like they're going to drift away in an hour. The patchouli and/or the tonka have come forward, and are doing an excellent job of giving the scent some heft - Wilde may have been an aesthete, a fashionista, and a bon vivant bar none, but this reminds me that he was also a really bloody good writer. The top notes are also very interesting: sometimes I get definite bergamot, sometimes thyme, sometimes lavender, and sometimes even the suggestion of jasmine (which I love, and which generally plays well on my skin, but I know isn't for everyone). They keep trading places and upstaging one another in the most fascinating way.

Dry: The florals die down after a few hours, and the herbs and citrus prove surprisingly tenacious. It's much more of a linear and traditional men's cologne by now, but still refreshing and pleasant. Sadly, though, the whole thing really doesn't last above six (maaaaybe eight?) hours, but that's pretty much to be expected from bright, fresh notes like these.

Wet: Mmm, this smells verrrry sexy. It’s fresh, yet warm, and masculine, but in a refined, androgynous way.

Drydown: Herbal and clean, but earthy and slightly sweet too. It smells both warm and cool at the same time, like a manly aquatic almost. I can detect the lavender and thyme pretty easily, and the bergamot is probably what’s adding the aquatic vibe. The notes all blend very nicely, in a way that’s both familiar and surprising. There’s a subtle sweetness in there that’s causing me to keep huffing at my wrist.

Dry: Pretty much the same as the drydown, but perhaps a touch more herbal. It’s so, so beautiful. It reminds me of a tomato leaf soap I once had (Burt’s Bees, I think), with its perfect combination of herbal freshness and slightly creamy-sweetness. It dances and glows. This is what a beautiful and charming faery boy would smell like.

9 out of 10 bones

In the imp: Sharp, fresh, clean cologne.

Wet on my skin: LAAAAAVENDER. So much lavender. Also a little thyme.

Dry: This is very heavy on the lavender and thyme, with just hints of the rest of the notes. It's a little citrusy from the bergamot, but mostly lavender-thyme. Very clean and a bit dandy-ish. Evocative of its namesake, and very masculine. But not like rugged tough-guy masculine, this is more gentleman masculine. It's nice, but not mind-blowing since I'm kinda so-so on lavender.

frimp from Lab

in the imp: sharp lavender and men's cologne, with a touch of sweetness

wet: the lavender fades way back and leaves a clean and slightly soapy cologne, very masculine, very much like the fougere part of Dorian, minus the lemon and sugar of the latter

dry: initial dry, something a little peppery moves to the forefront of the fougere (maybe the bergamot?) and if I huff deeply I get a bit of lavender and a whiff of something sweet and floral (maybe the jasmine's influence, though it doesn't smell like the Lab's usual jasmine, thank goodness)

Overall: If Dorian gets a little too sweet or citrus-y for you and Bram Stoker is too overpowering, Wilde is your guy!

Oh, this is the sexy scent for the literary man! My partner doesn't like traditional male colognes, but he did like this one, I think because it has some nice florals in it, and considering that patchouli is often a death note for me, I like this on me, too. Definitely a bottle scent.

This smells like a beautiful cologne, i feel like the combination of bergamont added to almost any cologne like scent is perfect. It is sexy and enticing. This will be one I might need a bottle for.

A perfume for dear Oscar. Let's see how this sme... whoa. Strong.

This is a well-developed whirl of fragrance. I get bergamot, maybe tonka (but less strong or vanillic than in Jareth), lavender and thyme, a floral lilt of jasmine and maybe other flowers, and the grounding of patchouli, but all blended enough that I'm not sure what I'd have picked out without the notes list. Maybe just the lavender-thyme. I don't pick out moss. Every note I do find supports the other notes without seams. When wet, this smells... involved.

This dries to a lighter and mostly lavender-thyme-tonka cologne on me. One to keep.

Normally I can't stand "men's cologne" scents (there's nothing like screechy synthetic citrus to cause a headache), but this actually isn't bad. It's not something I can see myself wearing, but I can appreciate it and would love to smell it on someone else.

It starts off with the usual men's cologne citrus note, except it's not fakey or overpowering. I can deal with it until it tones down, at which point it's a slightly fizzy, citrusy herbal concoction. It reminds me of a gin drink I had once with lots of herbs muddled into it. The moss is also quite strong, although that's probably my skin's fault, and the patchouli is present but earthier and drier than I'm used to. The tonka is...possibly there, but pretty far in the background. I get no jasmine, unfortunately, and the overall impression of the scent is dry, cool, and green.