Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

This is a blast of not good from the get go. This really rings a mental bell like I've tried another BPAL with similar "didn't work" charcteristics, but I can't remember what in the heck it was... I also had a reaction to the "indefinite, singeing, weird note" that paperrose mentioned. It's crazy strong with tons of throw - why is that always true with the ones that don't work? :P I have another imp of this that I'll try later to see if this is just one of those days or a bad imp, but BPAL's cologne tends to turn to yuck on me anyway.

Edited to add scent description. Edited by rayvn1

Ooooo! I like this in the imp! Sexy men's cologne! This is one of those blends where I find it hard to pull out the specific notes-it just smells like a sexy, fresh, classic men's cologne. This is how I'd want to the crook of a guy's neck to smell when I nuzzle against it :D Wouldn't wear it myself because I'm a girly girl, but I may have to pick up a bottle for my boy~! :P

Edited by Suu4LC

Loooove at first sniff.. In my wildest ( :D ) fantasies a well dressed, well educated and ravishing handsome man wears this scent.

In the Imp: It's very well blended, but I think it's primarily bergamot, patchouli and lavender.. a very classic cologne combo. But it's sooo good.. it's creamy underneath, but crisp and sparkling on the surface. I don't really get jasmine, but I guess there's a very slight floral touch. It's mostly citrus with a mossy bottom note. I sure wish I had a boy to slather this on..

Wet: The patchouli and lavender amp. This is the cleanest patchouli ever.. the citrusy bergamot definitely has a more bitter (rather than sweeter) twinge than it did in the imp. Wow though.. excuse me while I make out with my arm! :P

Dry: Blends really well, I'm having a hard time picking out notes at this point. I think I do prefer the scent in the imp (and I'd never wear this on myself.. except maybe to bed) but this is still a beautiful blend, really fantastic. It reminds me a bit of Emporio Armani cologne (which smelled amazing on a fellow I used to know :D )

Initial impression:

Wow, cologne for sure!

First on:

All cologne – wow, this is strong!

Dry:

After about 10 mins, this is a mix between cologne and pure soap on me. :P Ugh. Seriously ugh. It warms up with some tonka and thyme later, but this is way too soapy for me!

So admittedly, at one point in time, not too long ago there were count 'em three, yes three, bottles of Wilde chilling around my house. Why? Because my friend and I had been on the perfect man scent to gift for our guys. All it took was a whiff from the bottle at Will Call and I told her, "This is the one."

It smells like the rakish Lord in my ideal romantic fantasy--but you totally didn't just read that--and now I need to wait for my boyfriend to get his bum back home so I can have him put this on.

In other news, friend's boyfriend loved it, as did apparently his brother who asked him what he was wearing--since he liked it too.

Ah Wilde, I love ye. :P

I-personally-get the perfect amount of lavender with a touch of bergamot and thyme--along with the manly man part of the scent of course.

I found an imp of Wilde on my dresser this morning-- I assume that I got it as a frimp with my last lab order, but oddly I hadn't registered that I had it, and so it was a complete surprise to find it there, untested, where it must have been lying for weeks.

In the imp, this smelled strongly of men's cologne. It wasn't a completely unappealing kind of cologne, though, not too musky or generally gross-- gentlemanly, I suppose. I smelled a tiny hint of tonka, which is what encouraged me to actually try it on my skin.

On my skin, I felt that it became much sweeter, and much more floral. It's well-blended, so I wouldn't have named the floral smell as jasmine, or necessarily lavender-- in fact, I hate several of the notes in here, like lavender and patchouli, and I didn't smell them in the blend at all. Moss definitely is what gives it the cologne edge, and I could smell a tiny hint of thyme. Overall, I wasn't in love with it, but it was much better than I would have expected, based on the notes and how it smelled in the imp.

Then my boyfriend came over and said, "Why do you smell like my brother's cologne?", the bubble burst, and I had to go wash it off immediately. Amazingly, despite scrubbing my wrists, then taking a shower, and putting on a different perfume, I can still faintly smell it. So I assume it has staying power?

Smell alike: A matured and settled *Casanova*?

Color impression: Velvet deep green and satin butter-yellow

On me: This one - on my man - NOW! I was a bit fearful because my former experiences with tonka weren't so nice. But Wilde is so good I could bath in it. In fact, I wouldn't mind smelling like this after a long night with Beloved!

Wearing: Not for me but this is exactly the kind of scents I find appealing on a man :heart:

Wilde=love.

I'm a pretty girly girl, yet for some reason I'm in love with some seriously manly perfumes right now. This is one of them, even though it does smell much more commercial than most of the lab blends. The notes all meld fairly seamlessly on me.

There's a little tickle of something in the very back of this that is unpleasant. Dorian and The King of Hearts strike me the same way--I love them both, but a close sniff catches in my throat almost like the smell of curdled milk. It isn't strong enough to keep me away.

I FINALLLY got the boy to try this one. I knew he would love it, and lo and behold, i was right. Hes sniffed the imp a few times before, and wrinkled his nose at it. Not this time, he will try pretty much anything (which I adore, hes so open!) I just had to tell him it was a good idea and have him not be around his guy friends :P. Anyway, I swiped his wrist with the imp and few minutes later I hear "mmm...baby, this smells kinda like my Gucci"

I think that means its a five star from him. And after smelling it on him, its DEFINITELY a five star from me, big bottle for this one, it makes me want to take all of his clothes off. :)

After reading the review to him: "That's all the review I need, point me towards an order page. Oh yeeeah."

:)

Ack, what the hell?! XD I don't like this at all. I believe it's the oakmoss, or perhaps the thyme that disagrees with me. It's mainly a weird and sickening planty/mossy, almost salty smell, with nothing else to hold it back. ...Though it does last forever and flail about my person like no one's business.

I wanted dapper poetic foppery! I wanted Dorian Gray's snarky creator in a bottle. I wanted Wilde! D: Sigh. At least a whole bunch of other people love this.

In the imp: Mmm, lovely and really quite masculine to my nose—but gentlemanly, not rugged. The lavender, thyme, moss and bergamot are strongest at first sniff—a bit sharp and citrus-herbal, not unlike Wilde's wit.

On, wet: Lavender, lavender lavender, with the clean, green thyme and citrusy bergamot. This isn't as sweet as I'd have expected, although it does somehow work for the inspiration, and as much as this strikes me as a masculine scent, it does smell good on my skin. I'm not getting much from the jasmine or tonka, though I'm sure they're there beneath.

On, dry: Ooh, okay, there's the jasmine peeking out, with some nice and earthy patchouli. That's rounding it out. Still, this is primarily fresh to my nose, between the lavender and moss and bergamot. This is really nice, polished and sophisticated.

Later: The early sharpness is ultimately softened by the jasmine and patchouli, and on me, the tonka comes out to play hours after the initial application, adding a bit of creamy sweetness.

Overall: This one is long-lived and has good throw—a little goes a long way—and it would smell dead sexy on a man. I love the smell of it, but it may be just a bit too gentlemanly for me, even though I usually scoff at scents being described as too masculine. (I think it's the herbal quality that puts it over the top for me.) I know somebody who will put this one to very good use, though.

VERY nice man scent. I have a hard time picking out notes for the guys, but this is very sexay. I slather when I review, and I really did not need to do so with this one, only a dab'll do. This is a freshly washed guy in a great suit, not rugged as a previous poster said. The only note I can identify is lavender, one of my faves, and it is slightly sweet. I won't be wearing it, but I'll pass it on to my so. :wub2:

I love citrus, and happily the bergamot in this lasts and lasts. The lavender and oakmoss do especially give it a familiar men's cologne feel, but the thyme makes it a little more unusual and interesting to me. The other notes are subtle. The overall impression I have is "fresh". It smells crisp and stays crisp, and yeah, a little goes a long way. I think this will make a great summer scent -- very cool and refreshing.

This is not a scent for me. Too manly. It reminded me of the men's cologne counter at Macy's.

I wore it the whole day -- it never lost that "cologne counter" scent.

Even hubby commented on "how manly" I smelled.

This reminded me of a dark tea room, warm and quiet, polished and refined. It's a gentleman's blend, no doubt about that! Slightly subdued, perfect for a man or woman that wants to smell sophisticated.

Unfortunately, this was the first and only imp I've managed to spill... my desk, chair and clothes smelled like an Englishman for the rest of the night. I don't know, it makes me giggle to say 'my pants smelled like an Englishman.' Is that so wrong?

*picks up imp of Wilde*

*inhales deeply*

Does somebody smell like foppish, bisexual, scathingly witty debauched Irish poet in Victorian England? I think somebody does! Yes they do, yes they do!

Oscar20Wilde.jpg

"I say, I do seem to smell like lavender, pith and latent homosexuality. And foppish sleeves. I detect a hit of foppish sleeves."

Yes you do, Oscar, yes you do. You smell just like a man should.

Oscar20Wilde.jpg

"I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. I'll get butter on the sleeves."

...okay.

Oscar20Wilde.jpg

"Well aren't you a lovely young thing. Such a face. You know, a man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction."

Really? Oscar you surprise me. You know something about women? Will wonders never cease...

Oscar20Wilde.jpg

"American, are we? America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."

Touché.

Oscar20Wilde.jpg

"You know, there are no moral scents or immoral scents. Scents are interesting, or they are not."

Well, what about Pickleushka?

Oscar20Wilde.jpg

"Well, yes, that one was a bag of crap on a stick."

Indeed.

Oscar20Wilde.jpg

"Either that avatar goes, or I do."

....fuck off, Oscar.

*cuddles Snape's doe*

Imp: Reminds me of an oil blend I used to wear in college called Aura.

Wet: Still similar to Aura, but with an edge.

Drydown: There is a note in this that I've smelled in other blends, but I don't know what it is. There's a slight cherry blossom note.

Overall: Love this! :thud: On my skin, this is a masculine version of Voyeurs Among the Cherry Blossoms. This stuff has throw! A small dab will do.

In the bottle: Astringent. I love it :)

Wet: This is really sharp and clean-smelling!

Wet, 1 minute later: Oh man, this is just like my dad's aftershave. JUST like my dad's aftershave. It's like I'm walking into my parents' bathroom right after they've been getting ready to go someplace nice.

Wet, 2 minutes later: Hello tonka bean, my old friend. I like you and you like me, and we're playing well together. But you're taking up a little more attention than the rest of the other notes, and that's sad.

Dry: Warm, pleasant, civilized. This is the first "men's" blend I've tried that actually came across as a bit androgynous to me.

This one is too masculine for me to wear, but I do love the scent. Enough that I gave my imp to the hubby to wear. HE smells amazing in it...bergamot, thyme, and lavender give off a clean, out-of-the-shower-fresh scent on the skin.

In the Vial: Cologney. Floral. Herbal somehow.

Wet: I wouldn't be able to name individual notes without reading the lab description; but once the notes are listed, I can better pick out what my nose is smelling. Bergamot, jasmine for sure, and thyme. The patchouli doesn't seem to be noticeable at all (and I'm not a fan of patch). I can't seem to pick up the other notes (no sweet tonka bean, no moss, or lavender).

Drydown: Still very very cologney. Man cologne. Ugh.

Verdict: Thing is, I don't think I'd like this on a man, either, it just comes across as such a generic men's cologne.

ETA: Lavender and something slightly creamy (tonka bean) comes out way later. It helps to mellow out the blend overall, but I'm still not wild for Wilde. ;)

In the imp: this smelled very woodsy, and musty like paper and old bookstores. Maybe the tonka is giving me that?

Wet on the skin: the floral jumped out and said hello, but it was still very heady and musty, in a good way. Not too much patchouli, which is nice, since heavy patchouli freaks me out. I started getting a memory of...something.

On dry down: it has good staying power, and I realized what that wonderfully heady smell was. I'm fairly certain it smelled like my high-school-boyfriend-first-lover's cologne Hero. Which I liked so much I bought a bottle for myself and used to wear even after we split.

Smells like...ahem...splendor in the grass. LOVE IT.

I got this imp for myself, thinking that it would walk a foppish line between masculine and feminine.

While I think that this could definitely be the case for some people, I fear this is not the case for myself, as it turns into an herbal cough drop on me.

BUT...

My boyfriend (who hates BPAL and most smelly things) agreed to try it on after I made him smell the imp. Much to his dismay, he loves it. He actually stole my imp! It smells lovely and clean and masculine on him, which makes Wilde a total win in my book.

In Bottle: It is bergamot and lavender dominant men’s cologne. I like the sharpness of moss and thyme with the rest of the blend. The jasmine is pleasantly sweet without turning the whole blend floral. It is indeed decadent and sensual beautifully fitting the concept. Wet: Insanely sexy and pretty much as described in bottle. Add my natural musk to that lavender/bergamot cologne and it’s crazy good. Dry: Mostly patchouli.

With a pinch of the cap and a flick of the wrist, a shimmering, rippling, olfactory wonder had been unwittingly

released and caused all else in the room to disappear... Wilde is a psychotically glorious scent!

It is the infinite, implausible blue of the inverted bowl of a summer sky.

Wilde is a glittering, bright sea with a gemstone’s clarity…

Certainly, there is Lavender here, yet this is the cleanest Lavender so far encountered in the realm of the Lab!

The Moss, Bergamot and Thyme unify to form a Holy Trinity of verdant essence for this formula, while Jasmine

yields just enough of its presence to lend an element of elegant prose and contemplations by moonlight…

As of yet, there are no traces of the Patchouli or the Tonka to be found...

The Skin, anointed: Such a truly remarkable fragrance! This is unmistakably masculine; bringing to mind some

familiar notes from of the finer Men’s fragrances one might encounter in an upscale department store.

An advert for a fragrance of this magnitude might depict a handsome, if arrogant, youth wearing gleaming

whites, aboard a yacht that had taken to the aforementioned glittery waters.

Tonka and Patchouli remain elusive...

The scent continues to freshen; enhancing the greenery aspect,and lending a metallic, almost coppery note.

Wilde is a magnificent fragrance. This would be quite wonderful as a gift for introducing an intrepid male

to the wonderful world of Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs. Enjoy!