Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

I love the labs masculine cologne scents and this is nice, fresh and a little citrusy without being gruntingly male. However it does not work on my skin and turns into something awfully wrong. It was some time ago that I tried this but by now I suspect that I cant wear things with tonka.
It works nicely on my boyfriend though but for some reason he never wears it.

This is beautiful! Fresh citrus and herbally cologne, this would be great on any man, but isn't overwhelmingly masculine either so can easily be worn by a woman. I truly wasn't expecting to like this so much, to me it's such a timeless scent. Not all masculine scents work on me although I always gravitate immediately towards them so I'm well pleased this behaves so well on me especially as it contains one note which usually is a big no-no on me - lavender. Thankfully it plays along nicely with all the other notes and it's the kind of blend in which it just had to be included methinks. Lovely!

ETA: it also stays around for a long time and turns a bit woody after a few hours. Very lovely indeed :P

Edited by porcelain

This is really strong. I was intrigued by the description and wishlisted it despite it having some notes that particularly hate me (lavender, jasmine).

Imp: Yikes. It's the same lavender as in Yvaine.

Wet: I used a teeny dab from the very tip of the wand. Hoo, still sharp and biting. It's not just flowers; I can tell there's something else there that I like, but these flowers...

Dry: Still strong, and starting to give me a headache. After a few hours, it was almost pleasant enough to wear. Sadly, as much as I love dear Oscar, his perfumey namesake doesn't generate the same devotion.

Another frimp from the lab (yay!) When it first went on me it smelled like a typical store brand colgone but after about ten minutes it adapted to a much finer and refined scent. Its a very clean scent but not overtly so. Definitely something I could sport at the office. I guess it does smell like Obsession for men but not so over the top. I may consider a bottle of this.

this does scream "put me on a cute boy you want to cuddle with".

i gave this imp directly to my husand.

it smells really damn good, not too floral for a guy, a definite masculine scent, but light and pretty, too.

maybe like cologne used to smell before it had to be all ultra-manly, edgy and weird smelling.

it's a warm, comforting masculine scent...like that cuddly teddy bear male friend who always makes you laugh and gives great hugs when you need them.

Imp: A gentle lavender-citrus. I get hints of patchouli. Seems gentle.

Wet: Wilde is not gentle. Wilde pulls you in for a sweet kiss and then bites your tongue to spite you. On my skin it acquires that first-blast-of-cologne scent. I get a heavy, singeing alcohol-based commercial citrus-herbal scent.

Dry: The scent remains but less intense. I catch some of the tonka as a sweet base, but the rest is still that indefinite, singeing, weird note I got on first contact. I can't tell if "gentleman's cologne" is a note or not, but this definitely smells like a sort of dandyish gentleman's scent--just amped up weirdly on my skin. Reminds me of a very masculine 4711 or a Crabtree and Evelyn men's scent.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: Mostly I just find this puzzling. All the notes play nice with my skin and it sounded so promising. However, I know at least three men who would be happy to take this off my hands, so it's not a tragedy, just some enabling.

Hmm.. I get citrus and lavender like others but then also some ozone. Reminds me of some cologne my brother wears. It's very nice for a guy - I'll see if my brother wants to keep it. :P

Wilde is truly an amazing scent. It remains the same on me from start to end and I'd like to assume that means my chemistry works perfectly with this scent.

It is a strong and gentlemanly fragrance that reminds me of times when men wore tophats and coat tails. It is luxury in a bottle and I wear it accordingly so; definitely not a day to day scent. This is something I would wear to a wedding or an elegant party because it relays a simple message "I have good taste." and does so without being snooty.

In the bottle – Kind of generic aftershave with bergamot the only note that I can make out in the background

Wet on me – Faint aftershave gain just that hint of bergamot promising more

Dry on me – Yep that generic old-fashioned aftershave scent appears to be the entire show

Overall – Well there’s nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn’t wear it

In the Imp (wet): Oh, this is all man. The combi of bergamot and lavendar makes me swoon.

On facial cotton (dry): The rich bergamot relaxes in the backseat, hat over his eyes, while the jasmine drives, ciggy in and lavendar navigates. I can see myself drooling over a man wearing this scent.

On me: This scent is very similar to Davidoff's Cool Water. My skin brings out the bergamot and jasmine.

In the bottle: Herbal-woodsy. Lavender, thyme, patchouli. Touch of fresh, citrusy bergamot.

Wet: Super clean and fresh. Cologney. Really delicious. It's hard for me to pinpoint stuff now because it all melds together so beautifully. Definitely masculine.

Dry: Would be good for men who like clean, traditional scents. But it's not boring or generic; it's very complex and there's woody depth and a touch of sweetness below the clean pool of masculine. freshness.

Later: Musk, patchouli and moss emerge. The bergamot in this holds really nicely, as does the thyme. The lavender mellows much like in Yvaine, and the tonka sweetens the mix over time. Jasmine makes this a bit soapy-heady, but not unpleasantly.

Summary: This reminds me of my dad; something he wore. A traditional yet far from boring man's cologne. Brisk and soapy-clean; herbal, woodsy, slightly floral and slightly sweet. Excellent throw and lasting power.

On me the jasmine goes a bit TOO soapy as it is wont to do, but when I wash it off this lovely moss/patchouli blend remains for HOURS - it recalls 51's drydown. This is much too masculine for my personal tastes. I'd love it on a man though!

It's really interesting reading all these reviews and seeing other people making the father connection - it's weird because it DOES small very paternal to me but ALSO sexy which is a little strange. I do think it smells like CK One though I couldn't place it till I read someone's post.

In The Bottle

OMG! Gorgeous. :P I can't pick any particular notes. Smooth and charming.

On Application

Very much a gentleman's cologne. Stunning. Warm and round bit fairly light.

Dry Down

I was trying to figure out what was familiar about this and have just realised it smelled like a shaving foam I used to use and loved. Surprisingly, I can't pick out the lavender until much later (my skin sucks up lavender pretty much immediately). I am so in love with this one. Big bottle for sure. :D

Rating (0-5)

Edt: The final drydown has the mildewed raincoat note that is mentioned in one of the Neil Gaiman scents. Very comforting and lovely.

Edited by galahad

Initial toughts: Words cannot describe how dissapointed I will be if this doesn't work on me.

It SHOULD work on me. Aside from the patchouli, which can be a tad iffy, all these notes should be like gold dust on my skin. And it's named after Oscar WildeChristonnabikeit'snamedafterOscarWilde. For this to hate me would be... a cruel twist of fate to say the least. I think I'm going to love it. I WANT to love it. I'm actually scared of testing it in case I don't.

In the imp: It's a sharp, light cologne - I definately get the bergamot and what might be a tinge of jasmine and thyme, but no whack from the patchouli which is a good start. It's not unpleasant, but I was hoping for something a little more... complex.

On the wrist, wet: Hmmm... jasmine, thyme, a hint of lavender - men's cologne, a really NICE men's cologne - the only other thyme and jasmine scents I've tried also featured red currant, which goes a bit watery on me, so I'm surprised by how delicate they are. As it's warming, the bergamot and some of the more full bodied scents are coming forward - this is very promising!

Twenty minutes later: Oooh, this IS promising. The first - and most overwhelming - thought is that this really is a mens scent - it smells like a really, really good cologne. A bit more thought, and I can pick out bergamot, thyme and the ghost of a floral (Probably the lavender). The patchouli's behaving itself incredibly well, the other notes are all playing nice...

Contrary to what I expected, this is a nice subtle, well blended scent - something I could quite happily wear to work. It's lovely but curteous, not too assertive or in-your-face, it has presence without being heavy. I'm not in screaming fits of passionate love over it but it's definately one of those scents that I'm going to end up wearing very often!

Verdict: Keeper, and I think I'll need a bottle of this before too long!

Tl;Dr: A subtle, sensetive men's cologne with soft overtones of bergamot, thyme, and gentle hints of jasmine and lavender.

I'm going wild for the Wilde!

Apparently I really love what's considered male type fragrances on my skin. I received a frimp from the Lab in my latest shipment, and I'm sold on it.

In the imp I smell a slight and mellow citrus, but once it touches my skin it amps up and becomes a lovely bright and shiny floral citrus, quite heavy on the top notes.

On drydown I smell a hint of patchouli, but not in a smack-in-your-nostrils kind of patchouli way. It deepens the blend, grounds it.

Wilde has some serious staying power, which is how I love my perfume.

This will definitely be a bottle purchase for me with my next order. Thanks Labbies, for picking out the perfect scent for me!

Got this frimped to me:

Imp: Initial hit of bergamot over floral. 2nd sniff I get the sweetness of

jasmine and lavender.

Wet On Me: More citrus comes thru now, even with deep sniffs.

Drying Down: Citrus over very light floral. But I get a total masculine

vibe on this one. Which is good because I like wearing some masculine scents.

Dry:Clean citrus yumminess. Sharp and clean. Barest trace of thyme.

Nose now attached permanently to my wrist. Last night I tested on the Bird...OMG

he smelled of yumminess and my nose was attached to him for the night!

Throw/Stay:Absolutely divine. When Bird moved last night I could smell it

when I move my wrist today I get divine scent trails in the air.

Tried on Bird last night and total keeper. In fact many bottles MUST be ordered as I will

wear this and Bird needs to wear this. OOOOF!

In the imp: A fresh, clean, men's cologne.

Wet: Sharp and clean. I can definitely smell the lavender.

Drydown: I keep looking around to see the good-smelling guy, but it's me. It's very fresh, no patchouli to speak of and the florals are light. I'd like to convince my SO to wear this because I think it would be amazing on a man, but he says it gives him a headache. I'm not particularly looking to smell like a guy, but I could probably layer it well with some of my other oils.

In the bottle: A very pale oil. Heady dusty florals, what might be jasmine and lavender, but it's hard to pick out the notes. Something tangy. The aroma is highly commercial smelling and doesn't strike me as particularly promising, but I'm going to go ahead.

Wet: Mmm, some sort of ferny green citrus lavender, a pleasant combination of green and floral with a hint of pepper. The green must be thyme. Promising after all.

After a few minutes on skin: The smell is turning tasty, but like yummy food tasty. I feel like I've been seasoning chicken breasts with citrus and thyme. Pleasant enough, but mouthwatering in quite the wrong way. Of the ones I've tested so far in this latest batch this is the only one to get a positive reaction from hubby. I never thought I would say this, but I believe I've found a masculine type blend that's actually too masculine even for me.

After first hour: Ugh, there is something I definitely don't like in this blend, a nauseatingly eyewatering note I tend to associate with strong commercial perfumes that I generally smell on other people when they're wearing excessive amounts of them. Normally I get the sense of commercialness with musk or amber, but there's none in here. I'm suspecting it might be the tonka. I'm hoping it's not the moss. I want to like moss. Hubby still thinks this stuff is wonderful. I told him if I tested it on him and didn't find the note as repellant he was welcome to the imp, but if not it was going far, far, far away from here.

After two and a half hours: More commercial men's cologne reeking (tonka?) although with a faint undertone of something green that I wish were much, much, much more prominent. I think I'm starting to get a headache.

After 5 hours: I know I really hate this, so I'm not going to wait another two and a half hours.

Final Verdict: This smells heavy and commercial and unpleasant to me, it doesn't do things I like with my body chemistry, nor my husband's. I want this out of my house. If someone got onto an elevator with me wearing this I would be extremely tempted to get off and take the stairs. Wilde = me repellant. This is the first Bpal I have truly hated.

in the imp: men's cologne.

wet on skin: more of the same. :D

dry down: a bit of lime is moving away from the mix. overall, however, this is something i could get at any drug store.

in all: i've smelled some of the Labs cologne mixes before, and some of them are wonderful. this one is really mainstream, though. maybe to enable to new guy? that's about all :P

Okay, even though it shares absolutely NONE of the same notes. On me, Wilde smells exactly like Cool Water by Davidoff. I can't explain it. I was sitting here for most of the day wracking my brain trying to figure out what this smells like and that's it! I can smell a little bit of the lavender but the rest of the notes are pretty indistinguishable for me here. I'll try it on my SO and see how it reacts on him. Overall I like the scent, I just don't like to smell like it.

Found a box of old imps yesterday, some of which I didn't remember trying or even having, and this was among them.

I almost rejected it straightaway when I opened the bottle -- reeked of something almost rubbing alcohol ish -- I'm sure that's not actually what it was, but that's what it smelled like. Put it on anyways, on blind faith, and right away it transformed into the crisp classy masculine scent that everyone's described.

To me, it says "distant crush on a black-and-white film star" way more than "cuddling with my boy". Hot, but not the warm-and-fuzzy kind of intimate.

I'll keep the imp, because it's a gorgeous scent, but it's a masquerade scent for me: for costume occasions, or for those days when I want to be reminded at work that I can *so* keep up and kick ass as a woman in a male-dominated industry....

Bottle: light and herbal

Wet: the sharp lavender and a hint of tonka comes up from behind

Dry: the sweetness of the tonka is easing the sharp edge, and the jasmine is starting to gear up

Later: oh hey, that razor-edged sharpness is back combined with jasmine amping like nutz (as it usually does on me, alas)

In the imp, this smells like aftershave. Aftershave that comes in a bottle with snow-capped peaks on it somewhere.

It doesn't really morph much on me, and it's a little too traditionally masculine for me to be wearable. Nice concept, though!

This is nice--a cut above some of the other manly BPALs that all smell alike to me. I get a gorgeous note of bergamot and a dash of thyme layered over a background of sweet lavender. It's beautiful and not herby-herby, cooking-smell-y. Unfortunately, bergamot tends to not like my skin and I can feel this itching a bit, so this won't work for me, but it does smell lovely.

In the imp: Men's cologne, and something in it is making me headachey (probably the jasmine), although jasmine, lavender, and bergamot all tend to be death notes, so I'm not crossing fingers on this one.

Got a couple of drops on my palm closing it again, so I'll review it for as long as I can take the jasmine/lavender show.

Wet: Lavender with a side of jasmine.

As it's drying: I can smell the bergamot, but it and the lavender and jasmine are making me queasy. Time to go scrub this puppy off.

eta: I managed to get this on my husband (no easy feat) and it smells really nice on him.

Edited by crazyredhead17