Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An ethereal bouquet of night-blooming flowers. Evening primrose, ruellia, flowering nicotiana, wild petunia, panani-o-kai, night phlox, night gladiolus, moonflower and the elusive scent of Nottingham Catchfly.

Oh... I was hoping the moonflower in this would be gorgeous but instead I'm getting something that smells like bitter medicine. >_< I'm not even sure which one it is, but it's sour and almost rancid. I have no clue which note this may be, but it needs to die. Now.

Wet: this smells like very acidic flowers. It smells like sweltering hot gladiolas at the height of summer when the blooms have opened.

Dry: This is quite surprising! The flowers have calmed down a little and have melded together into one. The gladiola that was front and center has faded into the background. Still quite pungent on me but much more subdued and a little "darker".

Overall: Sweet and strangely dark but a little too pungent for me. Off to swap!

A very dark scent. When I first apply it, it's so strong it nearly knocks you over, but after half an hour, those strong little flowers settle down. I feels like I'm walking around late at night in a garden, and the dew is still dripping on the flowers. I can't tell these notes apart to save my life, but it's such a well-blended scent that I don't care. It smells very purple yet crisp and white at the same time. I think I'm in love. I might get a bigger bottle later on, if I run out of my imp. B+.

Something about this scent I just could not stand! :P I got tons of flowers but I also get something strong and pungent that did not work with my chemistry at all. The minute I put it on, I felt extremely depressed. This is not a cheerful blend I came to find out. It became so unnerving that I ended up in the bathroom at Target scrubbing it off my wrist. Perhaps it may smell better with age, I dunno. Maybe it was my chemistry as well. I swapped this imp away posthaste. It was a little too dark for me...

straight sniff from imp...

sour flower... :D

once applied....way too big, fat, floral bouquet for my tastes...

dark...something...too bold...too in-your-face...

not for me :P

Heavy florals that smell a bit dusty, which I think is the nicotiana. I don't know the individual scents of the different notes well enough to say "oh, that's that!", but this is definitely a dark floral blend - blues and purples. The dusty note is kind of turning me off though. I'll give it another chance before making my final decision.

In the bottle, this screams “FLORAL!” My poor nose can’t quite pick out individual scents. Fortunately this initial phase doesn’t last too long, and before I know it I’m catching a very delicate primrose and gladiola combination with a light backdrop of dusty florals. I was hoping for the moonflower to be a bit stronger, but that’s okay! Overall it’s a very dark, brooding floral scent. Very nice.

MIDNIGHT

In Bottle: Chemicals

On Skin: At first this smelled like Elmers Glue. But as it warmed up on my skin, individual flowers started to come out and it became much prettier. The florals stay quite sour though… I wish this had a nice musk or amber to soften it up. This scent is extremely potent and very floral. If you like florals, try this one for sure. I like that it does have a “night” quality to it. Not a bright garden in the daytime, more of lush sticky florals on a hot night. Pretty and very feminine, but just a bit too perfumey for me. Strong throw and long wearlength.

I love night blooming flowers, but this scent is just not what I was expecting. In the bottle it smells really sour, and heavy...I was wanting something lighter and more femenine. On my skin it turns into a really heavy manly cologne type scent, with that sour sharpness hovering in the background. So dissapointing.

Lovely, soft and sweet and floral...and yes, dark. I can't pick any one of the scents named out from the blend, but they all come together so smoothly. It reminds me on Tennyson--"Come into the garden Maud, for the black bat night has flown/Come into the garden Maud, I am here at the gate alone/...and the musk of the rose is blown."

The only thing I can compare this to is the Yankee Candle known as Midsummer Night. This is the feminine equivalent of that scent.

When I first put this on, it is very soapy, sour, and strong.

30 seconds later, it disappears.

All that's left is a faint ozoney scent. Not what I expected at all, but it's too dark to run after it (it's midnight after all).

In the bottle:

Sweet floral but not heady. I cannot pick out any individual note, but then again I am not a floral-expert!

On me wet:

Sharp, pepper-like!, green smells, with a hint of silver. Something very poignant, like it's trying to tell me something. There's a hint of "childhood fragrance" here but I cannot identify it.

After 30 minutes:

a medicinal headachey fragrance on me now.

POO!

I should remember that I am better with florals that have an oriental base to them!!

Bottle: perfumey. It reminds me a little of New Orleans, which was way too flowery for me so I gave it to my mom in a hand cream.

On me: Yeah. Straight up flowery perfume. Which, ok, not altogether surprising, but sometimes I get something deeper from BPAL's floral scents. Today would not be that day. Mom will like it.

I smell like a funeral parlor, minus the coffee. The florals are very strong and each scent stands out rather than blending in on me. There's something herbal and a little sharp, but not unpleasant. On the whole, this is not a bad scent...just way too floral for me and too funeral-flower for my husband to be able to stand yet.

When I read the description I didn't jump to get this scent because of all of the flowers. I was afraid this was going to be one of those sharp floral blends. Boy, was I wrong!! It's odd but the flowers blend so well together that it seems not really all that floral. Is not sharp at all. I want a bottle of this one!

Sniff from imp: Wow, floral indeed. A big blend of flowers that my newbie cannot pick out any individual note. But it's not the strong, heady type of floral which is yay for me because strong scents make me nauseous.

On application: Still floral, but I'm smelling something jasmine. So I went and hurried to look at the description and...no jasmine? But reading the reviews on this page, someone mentioned 'light jasmine', so I guess it's just not me.

After 15 minutes: It smells familiar, but I can't quite remember which perfume it smells like. Ooh, it smells vaguely like Flower by Kenzo when it's dried down on my skin. There's still a hint of that jasmine-but-not-jasmine note, but it's very light, nearly not there.

After 2 hours: I can barely smell it already. I really saddened by this because the scent was really lovely and I wanted it to stay until the end of my shift (I wore it to work).

After 4-5 hours: I get a whiff of it every now and then, and when I sniff my left wrist I still smell it (still smells like Flower) by it's nowhere on my right wrist. Odd. Other people cannot smell it all, which I'm a little sad about because I want to tell peeps about BPAL. Darn. I'll probably try again some other time though, because this is such a lovely scent!

Edited by illuxtris

In the imp: Holy cow, that's a strong floral scent. I'm not really familiar with any of the florals listed, so it's hard for me to provide specifics, but this is very strong in the imp.

Wet: I'm getting a bit--just a bit--of the same watery floral quality that I get from Danube. This one is a bit creamier though. I know that there's no night jasmine in this, but I do think that the oil has a bit of that quality.

Drydown and wear: I enjoy this one far more than I thought I would. Most "night florals" end up being either too light or too sharp on my skin, but this perfume's florals, which tone down considerably after the wet stage, have a cool creaminess to them that I really like. This is a really lovely scent, and also has good strength and staying power.

Midnight

yellow oil

Imp: Floral, and a bit sour.

Skin: Sharply sour at first, but morphs into a bouquet quickly. Slightly soapy, and slightly powdery. Like "The Unicorn" cut the soda, turned dark and got a bite. I do get that jasmine-but-not-jasmine feel too. There is a faint sourness in the background, giving it a certain sharpness.

As time goes by it mellows, becoming softer, dustier and more ghostly. The sourness fades also, making the scent prettier.

Its a dim scent, but I wouldn't call it heavy.

Despite being a fragrant floral, it stays relatively close to skin.

Someone looking for a un-innocent white bouquet may like this.

Bottle: amazingly complex floral

Wet: I can’t pick out separate notes, but there is a subtle sweet spicy roundness that grounds this floral

Dry: round vanilla spice, I want to say that’s the nicotiana, blended beautifully with the florals

This is an amazing blend, not what I expect in a typical floral perfume, mysterious, definitely a night garden, I love to wear this on warm evenings when all is in bloom, it’s elegant and complex, and gorgeous. It never gets cloying, powdery, or too sweet.

Wet, this is sharp and sour, very bitter-ish smelling. Made my nose wrinkle.

Dry, this is a dry blend of many unusual flowers, with a slightly green undertone, growing fainter as it dries. It's got a wispy throw, which lends itself well to the 'night-blooming' aspect. Interesting, but not for me.

As strange as it sounds, when I first put Midnight on, it smelled like mustard. Yeah, no idea where that came from. Thankfully, that smell went away, but now it smells like light floral and eucalyptus. I don't know where the eucalyptus is coming from, since it's not listed. Midnight's not bad, but I won't be getting a bottle of this.

In the imp: lots of white florals, slightly sharpened by sappy greenness.

On me, wet: lots and lots of white florals, very heavy, heady and slighty soap-tinged. Hrm.

On me, dry: very heavy white florals, in the soapy, waxy sort of sense. Blerf, I was hoping for something crisper and brighter to emerge.

Verdict: Nah, this one didn't go in the direction I wanted it to go. Not a keeper for me.

Starts sour and icky, which will hopefully fade really soon. Now the florals are coming through, definitely exotic. Very pretty.