Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An ethereal bouquet of night-blooming flowers. Evening primrose, ruellia, flowering nicotiana, wild petunia, panani-o-kai, night phlox, night gladiolus, moonflower and the elusive scent of Nottingham Catchfly.

This one was unexpectedly nice on me -- I'm not much of a floral-lover, but apparently a scent made up almost entirely of 'night' flowers works well with my chemistry. It's quite dark and dense, and suits the name quite well. After several hours it -does- turn to a hint of dryer sheets, as many pure florals do on me, but this is one of the few Moriendi scents I may keep around. I'd feel more inclined to wear it during the summer, however, as it has a vaguely sweaty feeling that doesn't sit well with me in midwinter. :) Edited by windbourne

I cannot pick out any individual notes on this one; all I can say is it's gorgeous and is going on my wishlist! :wub:

Edited to add: This reminds me of Lush's Sex Bomb, which is weird as Sex Bomb is mainly jasmine and ylang ylang!!

Edited by saracakes

In the imp: This smells pleasantly floral, though I'm not able to pick out any single note.

On, wet: Wet, warm blooms with a powdery edge.

On, dry: This turned into powdery, generic florals on me.

I am not a floral person, so I was hesitant to try this. Surprisingly, it's very pretty. :)

At first it's mostly sweet flowers with a bit of green grass. As it dries down something darker comes out to balance the sweetness of the flowers. It almost has a slightly musky or perhaps smokey feel to it.

I like this a lot more than I expected to so I'll be keeping my imps.

I'm glad I gave it a chance. :)

I'm not a floral gal, but I liked this one because the notes are not the usual rose/lily/jasmine perfume fare. As other reviewers mentioned, I think there's an uncredited light musk in the blend which appears at drydown and deepens the florals. Although it didn't last long on me (about two hours), it never went soapy or shrill as florals often do on my skin. Definitely will be keeping the imp.

Initial unsniffed impression: I'm not sure what the majority if the notes in this smell like on their own, but I love nicotiana...

In the Imp: Very light floral, I could swear I get violet from this, but it's not listed as a note, so perhaps one of the other flowers smells like violets. I don't recognize any other individual notes.

Wet on skin: A pleasant, light bouquet of flowers. Not heady at all, just light and breezy.

Drydown: A floral bouquet. Not quite sure if it is me, I'm not normally a floral kind of girl. It is very calming, light, fresh.

Overall: I'm not exactly excited about this one, but it's nice. It's pretty, but as I said before I'm not a floral kind of girl. It's romantic in an old-fashioned sort of way. It's also extremely light. I think overall I'm happy with it, but don't think I will need a whole bottle.

* After some more time wearing this, I think it's growing on me. It's quiet and lovely.

Edited by BlackLace

Bottle: A dark floral. Fitting for all the night-blooming flowers. A bit woodsy.

Wet: Amps quite a bit, haha. Bitter florals. Also a bit... sappy, for lack of a better word? Or maybe nectary? It reminds me of stickiness flowers have on hot nights. With that, it reminds me A LOT of summer. More so than any of the floral blends I've tried so far.

Dry: Much of the same.

1 hour: Not as bitter as it was. Still has that "sappy"-like smell to it. It doesn't disgust me or anything, but I'm amused by how much it resembles that. Gives me memories.

3 hours in, I can barely smell it anymore. I ordered an imp of this in my search for a floral that would work for me but no dice. It's gorgeous otherwise.

Imp: Thin and... reedy? Not floral at all.

Wet: A touch of floral coming out with the nicotiana. Also a hint of greenery from something.

Dry: This is nose tingling. I actually sneezed when I took too deep of a whiff. I don't know which ingredient is doing that. This is a thin, sort of blue floral scent. It reminds me a lot of Dreamland but without that sultry skin musk note.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Eh. It's not working wonders with my chemistry so I think I can pass this one by.

I agree that this is a very sad and melancholic scent. Sweet, pale blooms in the moonlight, the kind that throw off a heavy, moist scent.This is an absolutely gorgeous floral blend, as others have said with no one note standing out. Also, this is one of the few of Beth's oils that didn't morph on my skin, the notes stayed fairly steady and linear from the beginning, although it did get stronger as it warmed up.I'm adding Midnight to my big bottle list. It's perfection.
Midnight smells exactly like what you'd expect the hour of midnight to smell like. I'm usually wary of florals but took a chance on this one. This isn't your average commerical makeup-counter floral. This is a dark floral, a very darkly beautiful floral. It's teeming with elusive things that don't bloom until the moon is high. There is also a sweet, almost creamy undertone that wonderfully balances the flowers and could throw you into a swoon if you're not wary. Midnight is the essence of being seduced by a vampire in the flower garden of an ancient manse in New Orleans. Edited by Invidiana

I put one drop on my arm near my elbow this morning, and I could smell it all day long. The wool sweater I was wearing today positively reeks of Mightnight. Bear in mind, I was wearing Angel today, but I still kept catching whiffs of this ultra-strong piercing greenish floral coming through. And that was just from one drop! I don't understand all the reviews calling it "light". There is nothing ethereal about Midnight. This is powerful stuff!

Very floral on me. I'm having a hard time discerning individual notes. There is something kind of off with this on my skin though as it dries. It smells vaguely of spoiled sour cream on my skin. This will be off to the swap pile for me.

In the bottle - That's strange, but to me this smells of cough syrup

Wet on me - The strong, heady flowers come through and make their presence known

Dry on me - Soft, but still heady floral that sit deep on my skin

Overall - Not really my sort of theing, but I guess if you like night blooming florals you'll like this

Lots of florals! I don't have a well trained enough nose yet to distinguish what is the strongest floral yet. Very strong with a good throw as well.

very sweet and mid-level headiness.

In imp: big round flowers with the sweetness of a touch of lotus.

Wet: the flowers busted out and it smelled a little carpet cleaner-ish on me. Reminds me of the desert bloom set from origins.

Drydown: I can't say I've ever smelled this combo from bpal. It round, warm, heady. The artificialness subsided and all the flowers blended together. This is very sweet on me. Not really my style but I'll hang onto it for a bit. Might pique my interest mid-summer.

flowery. .. obviously. it goes through a phase that i could swear is jasmine.

but then it settles down and is just a nice flowery scent.

I really wanted to like this one, but no can do. And I've tried it a few times, in over a years time and it's only getting worse.

Strong floral, and it gets stronger by the minute as soon as it touches my skin. I like the first few minutes of it, when it's still calm and dark, but then it just starts "screaming" flowers at me. And after a couple of hours ends up sour.

Too bad, I like the name and I like the idea, but this is too strong floral for me, it needs something else in it so my skin doesn't make it go wild.

imp: what the...? this smells like yellow mustard. very vinegary.

wet: this is the most odd assortment of florals i have ever smelled. whatever that odd, sharp, vinegary scent is, it's still around though not as strong.

dry: once dry this smells very softly floral, no more odd sharp vinegar scent. i really wish i knew which of the notes that was, it really ruined this whole scent for me.l

The first BPAL scent I've sampled and instantly felt a spiritual response to.

My first thought upon sniffing it was 'midnight!' appropriately enough. I'm not sure how Beth does what she does, but here she has totally encapsulated the essence of midnight and I can think of little else when I wear it. Spiritually, the scent relaxed me and heightened my senses at the same time, gently opening my upper chakras and helping me to focus. When I get my 5ml bottle, I intend to use it for nighttime meditation primarily and I think it will do a pretty wonderful job.

I get mental images of sitting in a garden on a warm summer's evening, surrounded by wet, white flowers, perhaps after a downpour or thunderstorm. I see the moon reflected in water. If this scent was a colour, it would be pearlescent blue moonlight, radiant and pure. Quite beautiful.

Pretty and atmospheric - soft florals, with maybe a touch of ozone? This definitely calls to mind a still, cool night, with crisp floral scents drifting on the breeze. It's not really me, but it is lovely. To me this is a silvery scent.

Fairly generic floral blend. It's soft and pretty, but not amazing. I'll pass this imp along.

Lovely dark floral, which I am quickly amassing a collection of. I can't pick out any notes particularly (mostly because I'm not particularly familiar with most of them), but what they all create together is wonderful.

I would not have guessed this one was entirely floral. I can't pick out individual floral notes (possibly because I'm not horribly familiar with these particular varieties, possibly because the individual flowers blend together so well). It stays very soft and close to the skin, and it's surprisingly dark. Almost smoky or earthy or slightly musky.

This could work very well when I just want something that stays close. But I'm not sure I'll need more than the imp.

Hmm...this is so weird to me when I sniff it from the imp...it smells SALTY. Like salty salty flowers. I have no idea what note is doing that...I skimmed through the other reviews to see if I was crazy, but I see someone else got vinegar so there must be some note that some of us pick up salty. Not a clue which.

Ok, at first I get that BLAST of salty/vinegar-y ness, but then it calms down a bit, under that saltyness is a pleasant hazy pastel-y floral. It takes a few minutes actually, for the saltyness to fully dry out and fade away, and then I am felt with this lovely dreamy periwinkle hazy floral scent. Very beautiful, romantic and sophisticated. Has sort of a dreamy quality.

While I enjoyed the drydown of this, I would never be able to buy a bottle. That salty scent was just too weird for me. Like the other poster who got that vinegar smell, I wish I knew which note did it!

Midnight is a very white floral, pleasant when wet but the dryness of the drydown (as inelegantly worded as that sounds) parches the flowers and leaves them too dry for my body. It's just a step away from going powdery. Once again (as if I needed any reassurance) sweet or strong florals just don't do it for me. Surprisingly, I dunked my wrist in some warm water and this scent became nicer when I re-wetted it. Again I think this would be a lovely scent for someone who likes florals, but this is just to much floral for me. Wet it was bearable, dry I wanted to start looking for my grandma. (Gran? You there? I can smell you!)

Initially, Midnight was richly, sweetly floral, and a little overpowering, but it soon calmed down. It's very much like a hot summer evening in a garden - a strong, fairly heady mix of flowers. It's a beautiful, silky blend (I couldn't pick out any individual notes) and has good staying power. Ultimately, it's not quite me, but I enjoyed trying it out.