Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
spanishviolet

Bakeneko

Warm amber musk, Satsuma tangerine, black tea leaf, cardamom, cherry blossom and cinnamon.

Initially, I was a little worried about the cherry blossom, and given the other notes, I REALLY shouldn't have been. Satsuma orange is one of my all-time faves, and I'm a sucker for black tea (Dorian is my staple :P ). Plus, spices and I get along really well. Right?

Oh yes. Yesyesyesyes.

In the bottle: Strong black tea, a little citrus, and spice. Commence drooling.

Wet on the skin: As this starts to warm, the spices are cavorting like playful kittens. The musk begins to purr, the amber glows, and all is right with the world.

Dry: This does morph a bit. Satsuma, in this blend, just cannot stand up to the other scents, so it slides into the background, keeping things lightly sweet. The cherry blossom never seems to put in a huge appearance, though every once in awhile I get a slight hint of floral. The tea maintains a low, dark hum throughout, and it's really the spices that shine in the end.

The musk in this is gorgeous and golden and barely fruity. This is an intimate scent, warm and comforting, the cinnamon not taking over but slinking over and around the cardamom, flushed with warm amber.

I am in love.

I'll preface this by saying that I hate cats. Ask anyone who knows me and they'll say, "Julia occasionally flips out whenever she sees a cat, launching into a manic tirade about how they think they're better than her and how they're pompous animals who are actually good for nothing. And she'll always finish her creepy rant with 'Dogs rule'! She's a complete freakin' weirdo." (I am!)

However, when I saw the list of notes for Bakeneko, I was floored. This blend has every. single. note. right. I love citrus (especially golden citrus like tangerine,) I love cinnamon and spice, I love tea, I love amber, I love musk, and cardamom and cherry blossom I can handle with ease.

So of course I had to get Bakeneko, despite the cat thing. No brainer.

In the bottle: Golden spiced tea, similar to an orange spice tea that Celestial Seasonings carries, or like Constant Comment from Twinings (I think.) It smells of orange chai, with an emphasis on the chai, because it's not a sweet smell, but spicy.

On the skin: I get the amber, I get the cardamom, I get the cinnamon. Luckily it isn't red-hots cinnamon, but natural cinnamon-stick cinnamon. The scent is not sweet, but a happy fusion of golden sun and musky earth.

Drydown: The sweetness of the cherry blossom comes out to play with the tea leaf, which becomes more dominant as the cinnamon steps gracefully into the background. I never get to smell anything distinctly satsuma, or at least not the zing!pow! Body Shop satsuma that sucker punches you in the jaw. There is, however, a citrus note, but it remains coupled with the lingering cinnamon.

Bakeneko is a lovely blend, but the lack of citrus splendor disappoints my expectations. The throw is minimal and the lasting power is short. The cardamom leaves a weird feeling in my nostrils like it did in Bastet and Absinthe, but it's nothing awful. I'm keeping this blend; It'll be awesome in the oil burner!

(Dogs rule!)

Whine. I WANT TO LOVE THE KITTYMONSTER PERFUME. The label is awesome. The description is great. The notes sound really promising. So why, oh why, does it smell like cheap men's deodorant on me? I do not smell like a fuzzy naughty kittymonster. I smell like a hairy armpit! Boo. :P

I can pick out some of the notes individually: cinnamon, check. (Usually a good thing.) Gentle hint of orangey goodness, check. (Also usually a good thing.) Black tea, a wee bit, check. (Indifferent to tea usually but rarely does it ruin a blend.) So how does the gestalt become deodorant to my nose? :D I have no idea. But apparently that's what happens.

I'm gonna try Kittymonster a few more times, as I'm not giving up yet. (Honestly I'll probably keep the bottle regardless as I am a humongous dork and adore all thinks kitty.) Maybe I can retrain my nose now that I've read the ingredients a few times and picked them out individually. Orange cinnamon tea would be nice...

Why didn't I buy two bottles? :P I can't stop huffing my arm and I only have one bottle!

In the bottle: Smells like bitter black tangerine tea.

Wet: The warm amber musk and the caradmon come to the fore, with a backing of oranges.

Dry : omg SO WONDERFUL. It's this warm, musky, sweet, spicy scent that I want to roll in. The tea and cardamon are most noticeable but it's sweetened with cherry blossoms (finally, another cherry blossom that doesn't fade away on me!) and given some kicky-sweetness from the satsuma and through it all is this wonderful tickle of sweety-spice cinnamon. It's such a lovely, layered little blend. Oh, I want more. I must find another bottle somewhere.

I love you, Beth.

Oh Bakeneko- why, why, WHY don't you work on me... :P

I've been hoping for a spicy orange tea scent for ages, but unfortunately the cherry blossoms ruin this for me... ...sigh...

Don't pay attention to my skin chemistry though... I think this would be great on anyone who cherry blossoms don't smell terrible on.

I love the "monster kitty" on the bottle, doesn't *look* like much of a monster kitty, but then again, neither does my cat, who most certainly is...beware the cute ones.

In the bottle, it's tea and orange, kinda nice, but I was hoping some other scents would come out and make the tea not quite so prominent - I love Body Shop satsuma, which is most of the reason I ordered this. Unfortunately, when it hits my skin, it turns to pretty much solid tea. When it dries, tea. A few hours later, tea. Not very strong, either.

Maybe I just got my hopes up too high with this one, I don't know, but at the moment, I just don't like it. I'll try it again in a week or two, see if my nose changes at all at different times of the month, and maybe when I get a scent locket, too.

Oh, the monster kitty loves me, and I love it back. :P It's warm and just slightly spicy and slightly sweet, with a backing of lovely delicious tea. It smells nothing at all like cats, but still somehow evokes the feeling you get when you've got your face pressed to the side of a furiously purring cat, all warm, soft fur against your cheek and happy rumblings in your ear.

I just wish I knew how Beth managed to get a purring cat into the bottle. :D

I was worried when I put it on. The initial sniff on my wrist was great - then it morphed into something a little sour smelling, and not particularly nice. That stage lasted about 10 minutes...

And now there's this wonderful soft spiced orange, with a hint of musk. Gorgeous. I will cherish my bottle. And the kitty's cute, too. :P

Love the concept, love the kitty on the label. The scent itself... hard to say. It is a morpher, that's for sure. At first it was all orange spiced tea - the very notes I did not want emphasized. Gradually the cinnamon asserted itself. But my first wearing was on the whole unsuccessful.

The third time I wore it a warmer muskier scent emerged... like someone else wrote on here, I enjoyed the waft more than sniffing it on my skin. The waft seems slinkier, more golden. And I did get a compliment on it. On the whole, I think it's a pretty scent, it's just the citrus I'm unfond of. But I do think it possesses that same feline slinkiness as Bastet and I think Beth definitely nailed the concept (like she always does!)

I was hoping for spicy cherries. I got musk and a slightly cherry-tinged floral. Pity.

It's really very sharp in the bottle, which sort of warned me that it wouldn't be exactly what I was expecting, but I've given it a shot all the same.

I get absolutely no cinnamon or cardamom at all, sadly enough. The musk is the front note, and while it's not overpowering, it's not quite my thing. Combined with the semi-fruity floral beneath it, it's almost commercial-perfume smelling to my nose, and that's *really* not my thing.

The label's cute! The oil inside is less so. Ah well, can't win them all.

Oh but this is sexy. Deliciously warm, spicy, musky sexy. Bakeneko actually reminds me a whole lot of Chrysanthemum Moon, actually, which means that I'm head-over-heels in love with the Monster Cat.

The musk and spices predominate here, and I'm getting just hints of the orange and tea. It doesn't have much throw, but when you put your nose in close, it's amazing. Really, really like this one!!!

What a cute label, I just love it (and wonders whose cat that may be).

In the bottle, wet and dry down all I can smell is cinnamon. The cinnamon was overpowering and I was worried that it might burn, but instead it had this brilliant, warm glow. I'm not sure how I feel about this at the moment, but cinnamon does not work for me. I think I'll put this to the side for a bit and try it again in a few weeks... I so want the kitty love. :P

Bakeneko

In the bottle: I can smell this outside the bottle, because this tricksy feline marked it's territory all over the bubble wrap-it leaked! Bad kitty! But the smell is gorgeous…a dusty 'furry' sweet musk with a hint of cardamom and cherry blossom.

Wet on skin: dry cardamom and cinnamon! And even a hint of almond/cherry?

Dry on skin: wow! This is so gorgeous! And it may be the first cherry blossom scent I've fallen for- I smell that note but in here it's not got any troublesome notes to spoil it-so maybe cherry blossom isn't so bad after all. This is a wonderful mix of spicy tea leaves with the barest hint of tangerine-like spicy orange chai tea bags-it's very dry as a scent. And underneath it is a soft warm layer of amber-musk, and a sprinkling of cherry blossom petals over it. This is very much like Bastet, only this is less golden and more pink-orange-tan coloured in tone. And there's something furry about it, like nuzzling up to a warm kitten, which I adore.

After a while: this stays very stable-the throw increases though and the cherry blossom and cardamom tea are stronger now. It really does smell like a mix of dry leaves and spices used to make spicy orange tea, or like silks or fabrics from Asia in colours of pink, orange and gold, which have soaked up the scent of spices. It is dry and warm and the furry amber-musk is still dominant, now it's even more so. Velvety soft, ever so feline, it reminds me of the feeling of cuddling and stroking my cat and the purring that follows.

The drydown is a gorgeous, warm and dry amber-musk with a dusting of tea, spice and the barest hint of cherry blossom which adds a delightful 'pink' hue to the fragrance. It's like a chilled out cat basking in the sunset. It's soft and exotic and reminds me of exotic tapestries and spice markets, and I even smell a hint of incense. Now it reminds me less of Japan and more of India. Then it turns to a 'second skin' scent with a tinge of spicy dust or even moss, very similar to that of Lyonesse, oddly, only this is less 'beachy' and more 'fuzzy'. The cherry blossom makes a comeback at the end, and adds more of a pink blush to the amber-musk skin scent. I also agree with the comment about it being a little bit like Devil's Night too, but without smoke or booze.

Verdict: I love Bastet, and this is what happens when Bastet turns Japanese. And the result is fantastic. How on earth does Beth capture the 'essence of cat' into a bottle (without resorting to cat pee or civet, thank goodness)? Like Bastet, this really does have a feel of purring cat fur…I think it's the amber and musk combination, there's something warm and velvety about it that I adore. This provides a purrfect (groan!) background for the spicy tea-I don't get much satsuma but I do get lots of spice and dry tea leaves, predominantly cardamom and a trace of cinnamon. The cherry blossom is what really surprised me with this scent-it smells gorgeous in here, like soft sweet pink blooms, and not soapy at all. I love this, it smells dry and soft and makes me want to nuzzle up to my wrist, like I would with a cat…I imagine a graceful yet cuddly oriental feline basking in the sun. The scent becomes more exotic and musky as it dries down to a delicious amber musk with a touch of cardamom. This fragrance makes me purr, it is comforting and soft and snuggly, but also seductive and slinky. Much like a cat, really. And I'm kicking myself for not getting more of this, especially since I'm quite addicted to all things kitty-shaped…

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! I now want to find more bottles…I'm regretting getting just one!

If you like this, try: Bastet, Kyoto, Alone, Bengal, Phantom Calliope, Devil's Night

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Wow.. this scent warps a lot.

Definitely a shape-shifter.

In the Bottle: astringent, mediciny, blech... and that's if you can smell it all. Its so light.

Wet: Lovely, creamy scent? what's making it so creamy? the cherry blossoms? Its still has very little throw. I feel very womanly, very subtle and soft. Delicious.

Dry: Grr... still so little throw. I'd have to reapply every hour. But drydown is gorgeous creamy spicy flowery goodness. Lovely scent.

4.5/5

:P

Bakeneko! With an inspiration like the Monster Cat, how could I not buy a bottle of this? And let me just say, it is :P

In the bottle this is all tangerines and tea with a hint of spice in the background. Applied and mellowed on my skin with the warmth of the amber musk, the tea and citrus fade to warm base and the spices bloom to a sunshine glow. Cardamom, how I love you!

Cat tummy, this is cat tummy. Oh so soft you can bury your face in it and breathe in the purring and liquid sunlight, but don't ever forget there are four sets of very sharp claws protecting this puss! You can pet the kitty if kitty lets you and only if.

i smell the tea, tangerine and amber musk, and i get a hint of spiciness, but not pure cardamom or cinnamon. luckily the cherry blossom is tame! the musk in this is a bit perfumy, but i like it that way. it reminds me of the musk in theodosius a great deal. it definitely has a warmth to it that is like the warmth of skin. i love this one!

Mmmm. Bakeneko is a good kitty. Yes he is.

It must be the amber musk, but this is a very masculine blend on me, especially at first (which is not a bad thing, to be sure). As it warms to my skin, it softens a little, and becomes more of a skin musk, clinging like that wee tuft of fur that clings to a pant leg. I really honestly get very little other than warm sweet amber and musk out of this, with maybe a hint of something almost aquatic (maybe satsuma tea?). It is quite a charmer, this little kitty, but not what I was expecting at all...

How like a cat. :P

I smell musk, amber, and tea. It is like a warmer version of Dorian on me. Very warm and feline! I don't smell the citrus or the cinnamon on my skin . . . it's just warm, furry, ambery musk. Sensual and gorgeous, but I can't wear this sort of perfume very often, as it tends to be overpowering on me.

In the imp: This smells so very familiar. ::sniff:: The most commercial-smelling BPAL I've ever sniffed.

Wet, the tea leaf flares for just a moment, and then the cardamom overtakes it, with a hint of cinnamon beneath it.

Dry: Oh. Oh, my. I recognize this. It smell exactly like one of the perfumes I used to wear in college. Either "Opium" or "Poison" (the former, I think), without the harshness of the perfumer's alcohol. Wow, that takes me back.

I smell like a dried stick of cinnamon - not that this is necessarily a bad thing, you understand. I'm just trying to get past the personal references to decide whether I actually like it or not.

Mmm...I like this a lot.

I was a little surprised - it was very astringent and medicinal in the bottle, but I also was really sick yesterday, and that probably affected my opinion.

I put some on right before I left for work, and gave the Mr. a big hug...it lasted a while, because he thought I smelled so good. Fresh, it was a very spicy orange - it reminded me of a pomander, or some sort of decadent tea cake made with orange rind and spices.

As it dried, the citrus fades away, and I'm left with a warm, spicy musk that smells lovely, although there's not a lot of throw right now.

Definitely a keeper, and I'm glad I tried it. It's a very feline scent, and I love the little tricolor on the label.

This is just beautiful! It reminds me of many things, but it isn't identical to any of them. I thought of Constant Comment tea, of orange pomanders, spice cakes... but none of those have beautiful ambery musk that clings to the skin. The spices in Bakeneko are very nicely balanced, and I had to remind myself by re-reading the notes that cinnamon and cardamom are in there - the effect is more of the spice that you get from a nicely aged amber (I'm thinking Jacob's Ladder 2005 kind of spice). Plus, cinnamon and cardamom can be the welt-inducing twins for me, and no such mischief is committed here. The Satsuma adds a sweet fruitiness with no tart surprises. I'm kicking myself for only ordering one bottle!

In the bottle, Bakeneko is a warm, musky citrus with gentle hints of spices and tea - a scent I associate with winter (mulled drinks and oranges for the Christmas season, perhaps?). On, the juicy orange smell pops up forcefully for a moment, then subsides gracefully into a tea-cinnamon-cardamom accord that reminds me of my favorite chai. There's something decidedly feline throughout - a warm, soft luxuriousness with a hint of sharp little teeth and muscle. It's the perfect warm, sunny spot in what has become a very cold winter around here!

In the bottle: quite a sharp citrus but very well-tempered by the amber musk and cherry blossom and spices. Very warm-feeling.

On me, wet: a warm cinnamon-cardamom blend, less citric but still rather pretty. It's pretty faint on my skin, alas.

On me, dry: Mrf, this is terribly faint on my skin. What I can smell of the warm spiciness is still good, though. Sigh.

Verdict: Grr, stupid skin. I think that what's left is similar enough to other scents I have that I'm not too sad about passing this onto someone who'll like it more, however.

Mmm, I like this a lot! It smells like spicy oranges, with a hint of tea. The cinnamon and cardamom are prominent but blended nicely- this isn't "Red Hots" cinnamon but more like "a cinnamon stick stirring orange tea" cinnamon.

The lasting power is pretty nice, I can still smell the drydown fairly well after 4 hours.