Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Flowermouth

The Labyrinth (the movie)

Being a David Bowie/Labyrinth fanatic, I've wondered if there's any blends that have that general vibe, etc, or could evoke similar imagery. Swamps and fantasy and illusions (oh my!) and so forth.

OR, blends that one could imagine Sarah or the Goblin King himself wearing. :P

So, for fellow labyrinth fans-- any suggestions?

Being a David Bowie/Labyrinth fanatic, I've wondered if there's any blends that have that general vibe, etc, or could evoke similar imagery. Swamps and fantasy and illusions (oh my!) and so forth.

OR, blends that one could imagine Sarah or the Goblin King himself wearing. :P

So, for fellow labyrinth fans-- any suggestions?

Ooo, good idea! For the Labyrinth itself, something really really mutable...maybe Hollywood Babylon. For Sarah I'd imagine either something girly and princessy, maybe Alice or Eusophrene or possibly Wicked, or something like Scheherezade, though that's possibly a touch too sensual for her. Something that fits that fantasy in her head. For Jared the first thing that comes to mind is Krampus, though I haven't actually tried it, so I'm not sure how good that rec is. Ludo is definitely Death Cap -- earthy and cuddly. Sir...what's his name? The fox...I want something like Moxie for him. Maybe Moxie with a dab of Brimstone or Djinn.

Saturnalia is my personal Bog of Eternal Stench. ;-)

Thanks for the input so far!

Faiza is a good idea.

After some thinking, I also think Depraved would be good-- due to the darker aspect of it, and especially because of the apricot. I know that it was actually a peach that Hoggle/Jareth gave her, but I couldn't find anything with peach in it that had a darker side.

Fiddledragon: Hmm.. I haven't tried Krampus either, though I could see Jareth in that. I think he would need something less two-dimensional, though. Something complex, or with two very different sides to it, since he's a product of Sarah's subconscious after all.

So, "Masquerade" might be good. For the ball room scene, you know. And Death Cap would most definitely be ludo! I've been wanting to try that.

For Sarah.. Something passive-aggressive, maybe. Or Fae?

Edited by Flowermouth

Hmmm... actually I tried The Temptation recently, and it reminds me of Sarah quite a bit. It has a strong peach note in it, so that's probably why. It also seems very wistful, innocent, and girlish to me. The blend as a whole is evocative of that whole ballroom hallucination she has just after she eats Jareth's peach.

Also, some of the Rappaccini's Garden scents kind of remind me of the way I imagine the labyrinth itself smelling... swampy, woodsy, and a little earthy. Destroying Angel would be a good one to try if that's what you're looking for, and perhaps Opium Poppy.

As for Jareth? I could totally see him wearing something like Whitechapel or Dorian personally... like a British gentleman who is refined but has a dark heart. That's my impression of him anyway.

I believe this is the avatar that was mentioned above! It was made by Jewelbug's hubby and is on her icon page. And I agree that Fae is a very Labyrinth-y scent, I think it evokes Sarah's innocence before she enters the labyrinth. I'm wondering what would be a good scent for Sarah after her experience in the Labyrinth...something a little less innocent but still very sweet and dreamy.

And Jareth=Dorian!!!!

Or Stardust :-)

Dorian for Jareth just seems too... safe.

I would choose something more masculine and sexual... he IS the manifestation of Sarah's sexual feelings (the feelings between childhood and adolescence.) I would say Dracul is much more Jareth... dangerous, dark, sexual.

Sarah wearing Fae would make sense, for all the reasons mentioned above. I can see her wearing something like Juliet or Ophelia... sweet and flowery and innocent.

Dorian for Jareth just seems too... safe.

I agree with this. For me ... The Highwayman would be a good Jareth scent ... leather and cinnamon and vetiver and just a hint of florals, like a good gentleman's cologne ... or from the crushed innocence of the girls that fall at his feet. :P

Other than that ... maybe Casanova, with that leather-anise-patchouli-lemon-vanilla vibe.

For Sarah ... Jailbait. For me, that's like a little girl dressing up in her mother's clothing (candy and sweetness and the lingering base notes left from her mother's perfume that are all through the clothing that she's trying on) and for most of the movie, even at the end, that's how Sarah comes across. A little girl trying to be an adult, without really understanding that she's going to lose some things that are precious in the process.