Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Our interpretation of Dolce Stil Nuovo is a blend of rose otto, carnation, vanilla flower, lavender and jasmine with the clarity of crystalline white musk and the warmth of golden amber.

Comparison review: 2007 and 2011

Floral blends tend to make me nervous as they can end up smelling sharp and nearly chemical, just LOUD FLOWERS shouting on top of each other. Dolce Stil Nuovo 2007 sidesteps that neatly on first inhale, unfolding in an impressively orderly fashion: spicy carnation, cuddly lavender, a blessedly tame combination of jasmine and rose, all softened up, all playing nice. 2011 is just not as nuanced at the first sniff, jasmine stepping up and announcing itself right off the bat alongside, I suppose, a backdrop of white musk.

2007 is more jasmine-forward on skin, not my favorite note, but it stays reasonably pleasant. With 2011 on skin, a sweet, powdery amber moves up and jasmine rescinds a bit.

On drydown: 2007 is pretty and sophisticated, well-mixed and mild, though there's still a little more jasmine than I'd really like. 2011 just doesn't quite works as well, it reads a bit more discordant, powdery and sharp.

Edited by bellumed

Received as a frimp from a decant circle. 

In the decant: Rose otto and carnation are detectable amid a background of other sweet floral notes I can't quite place. 

On my skin:

Wet, carnation is actually dominant -- which I love -- though there is still a myriad of other notes swirling in the background. As it dries, the rose otto takes over. There's a moment where it's primarily rose otto and jasmine -- almost like The Pointsettia Gown without the cream. Then it does settle down so there's rose otto amid a background of carnation, jasmine, and just a tiny bite of lavender. No sign of the vanilla flower, white musk, or amber as yet. 

Given almost an hour, the white musk starts to emerge, but I can only detect it very close to the skin, which is not like the way white musk usually behaves on me. The scent's throw is all rose otto and jasmine. About thirty minutes after that, I start to get some of the airy quality amber has on me. It sort of de-concentrates the floral a bit, but this scent is still very floral-forward. 

A nice, white floral on me with a sweet vanilla and amber warming it up a bit. Not all that special on my skin, unfortunately.