Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Our interpretation of Dolce Stil Nuovo is a blend of rose otto, carnation, vanilla flower, lavender and jasmine with the clarity of crystalline white musk and the warmth of golden amber.

It's a dead ringer for Aveeno sun screen. All the notes are completely drained away, leaving a lifeless husk of oil.

Light rose otto and warm amber. Takes awhile for the scent to warm up and get any throw, which is minimal. Not so much for me, but pretty.

Spicy carnations combine with roses and golden amber to produce a sexy feminine blend. The jasmine (a deal breaker note) is barely present, and alongside lavender stay firmly in the background. The lavender however gives a faint herbal vibe that never seems to diminish. White musk adds clarity and brightness, & almost seems to enhance the rose even moreso. Overall a very pretty floral that is slightly spicy, warm and golden.

And once again, it's SOAP and maybe something slightly floral TIME! Brought to you by your host, Dolce Stil Nuovo!

Good for wearing: while hanging out with germaphobe friends.

Ok, so this is really cold on my skin. That may be the best way I can sum up this scent. It's chilly. The rose and jasmine are surprisingly well behaved here, I can pick them out but they're not amping. This is predominantly white musk on my skin, with the florals underneath. It does go soapy on my skin, but I can see how this would be absolutely stunning on the right person. The amber here is just gorgeous.

This is the 2011 version!

Very feminine, as expected -- on me, the rose is most prominent, but that's unsurprising as rose ALWAYS dominates everything on my skin, and even though I love love LOVE carnation, it always fades to the background. The lavender and jasmine do give it a bit of a soapy feel, but not overwhelmingly. It's very clean, simply, and girly.

In The Bottle: Oh, hey lavender. 'Sup?

Immediate Application: This is either really well blended, or my nose really sucks. I can't tell where one note ends and another begins for the most part. ^^;; (Then again, I'm a perfume n00b who has no clue what most of the components smell like on their own, so. Yeah.)

30-45 Minutes: The initial sharpness fades and it becomes a lot sweeter. I think I'm looking for something a bit different for a romantic!perfume, but this may be a pretty good daily-routine perfume. :D I'll try it again later on in the month to see if I still feel the same.

All in all, me likey. :thumbsup:

[ETA - A Couple Of Months Later]

Oh, Carnation. YES!

This is much lovelier than I initially realized, I think I had to get over my preconceived notions and expectations about this scent to appreciate it for itself. Very soft, very romantic - dare I say Disney!romantic? :blush2: Certainly fitting for the poetry/lit style it's named after. :wub2:

Edited by lavenderfrost

Rose, carnation, and jasmine...this was one of those I wanted to try more for a how many ways of wrong can this go moment. Sure enough, there went the jasmine turning to cat pee on me, then the rose making it sharp cat pee, and hella blasting carnation. Too bad I can tell there's some really pretty vanilla flower and lavender under there but all in all it was pretty disasterous.

Edited by Invidiana

First impression:

As much as I hate to admit it, this one isn't doing much for me. It sort of falls flat, it's floral yes, but the florals here sort of just wilt on me. It also has a bit of a creamy powderyness about it that seems a bit ugh! :ack:

BUT: I have made it a rule to myself that if I don't really like something, it could be because my untrained nose was expecting something different. A lot of blends suprise me in a good way, but some not. This one didn't do much to start with, but I need to spend some time with it, try and appreciate the atmosphere of it. At the end of the day, it's a lavender/vanilla floral so how bad can it be? I will give it some time, maybe even some maturation might improve the situation. I'll put it in my pile of "try in a few months." Some blends change enourmously over the course of time, you only have to look at Snake Oil.

AS IT DRIES DOWN, and after a about two hours of trying to get used to it: I still can't see why everyone loves it so much, but I am finding that soft feminine floral refined powdery sweetness that doesn't smell all that bad. There is something going on here...

In the decant: The florals are the most obvious notes.

Wet: Still some lovely florals, but alas and alack the amber is already going to powder. :(

The dry-down: The jasmine has come most strongly to the forefront, but the rose otto is providing a deep soft base. The brightness of the musk flashes through at times, but it's the amber going to powder that is making this less a lovely floral than I had hoped for. All I love all the floral notes, this would have been a perfect spring-into-summer scent for me. But there's always the scent locket!

ETA: This is for the 2011 version.

Edited by thekittenkat

Wet, strong rose, kind of sour. Dry, a bit of amber comes out on me, and it is beautiful, however, the blend is still dominated by the sour rose. This morphs yet again, and now it is a sweet rose, no amber or nothing else that I can detect. It's a gentle pink rose now, nice for those of you who like rose blends, but this is not for me.

2011 version.

Wet, very astringent lavender, very strong. Fades quickly. I'm afraid to say I have tried this in two spots to try and review it...the back of my hand is just *gone* and the inside of my upper arm, well I smell it, but I don't know what exactly I smell, I can't make out any notes individually, it's a very sweet floral, but indistinct on my skin. Sorry for the hopeless review. It's not quite what I was expecting, something stronger and a bit more sparkly perhaps. I will come back to this another day and try again in case this is a chemistry combined with tired me/tired nose issue.

2011 version.

In the imp: Hello lavender! On second sniff, more florals with a tiny hint of powder. Very pretty.

Wet: Jasmine! But I love my jasmine, so it's all good. The musk is just discernable, but not in a drowned out by jasmine way. Still very pretty.

Dry: More musk. This is a beautiful, classic floral blend. I wouldn't wear this every day, but it's definitely bottle worthy. I'll be interested to see how this ages, because I can only see this getting better and better.

This is my second review for this. It's taken some time but I can now smell this!

It's got a more rosey feel to it now, rose and jasmine, but it's definitely a rose otto smell with that warm feel that is unique to it, and not a cold tea rose, and the jasmine comes out more now, but subtly. It has almost a honeysuckle smell too.

I really like this now. Previously it just ended up having zero smell at all very quickly.

It isn't exactly like UTHM, but more as if UTHM is night, and this is day. It'd be a nice go to bed scent I think.

ITI: Oh, it's spicy from the jasmine and musk combination, but at the same time it has a heady flower component from the rose otto and lavender, all of which I can smell clearly.

Wet: Hmm, it reads woodsy and herby with lavender, which is odd because there is not much in the way of herb or wood notes. As it starts to dry, there is a little rose, but it is a sophisticated rose.

Dry: It ends but being rose otto, jasmine, musk, and lavender, but dried down in such a way that either a man or a woman could wear this. I like it, especially if you are looking for a deeper floral scent.

This is the 2013 version.

This one is definately a morpher! It starts out with alot of lavender on me, and at first it smells like a musky lavender scent. The lavender slowly fades and makes way for the rose, carnation and amber. I love the drydown of this when it reaches a point of being mostly amber,carnation and vanilla flower, its a really warm and feminine scent. I can't smell any jasmine in this at all, from start to finish which is good because I wasn't sure how it was going to smell on me. Overall, this is a really lovely floral/amber scent. It smells kind of vintage and romantic to my nose. I really love this when the lavender settles down and lets the amber, carnation, vanilla flower and rose come through, they smell so good together :wub2: (ETA: I want to age this one, because I think that it may age nicely).

Edited by becca_s

Fresh out of the vial I'm not so fond of this, because the rose seems to be on the verge of disliking me, as roses sometimes do. However, the drydown is a very pleasant, very femme, soft vanilla floral. The musk is the soft, pretty type, not sharp or cologny. I'm interested in seeing if aging mellows the rose a bit.

In the vial: rose otto, spicy canation, and sharp lavender. A rather classic-feeling floral.

Wet on skin: the first whiff is sharp lavender, followed quickly by powder. Hello rose, I'm sorry to see you go so quickly. The lavender does soften immediately, and through the overwhelming powder I can also get some gentle, lovely jasmine scent. Under all of that is a beautiful base of white must and an almost creamy golden amber.

Dry: powder and lavender, in that order, and an odd sour note that comes and goes, but is almost always around. I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, as I haven't gotten this scent from jasmine in the past, nor from carnation. It's a bit off-putting.

Verdict: unfortunately, the rose otto just ruins this scent for me, what with its reaction to my skin chemistry. Not to mention that sour note that developed when dry.

This is for the 2013 version. The 2011 version really didn't work, but am willing to try again.

In the decant: Hmm, the roses have turned, not quite dry, but they've lost their sweetness. This doesn't bode well.

Wet: Getting a hint of the musk and the vanilla flower.

The dry-down: And now the rose and carnation come forth. Quite a morpher! I like it much better than the 2011 version, but I think that the decant is plenty. :)

Decant from ralenth's Lascivious Lupercalia decant circle. Preceded by Night Thoughts.

In the imp: Jasmine and carnation/lavendar, in ya face. The sharp nopes of the carnation and lavendar are very well blended. The amber is definitely there, but not too heavily so. I have hopes for this one.

Wet: Sparkling sharp top notes. Sweet mids. Slight spice from the musk. That sweetness is interesting, almost foody. Lots of throw.

Dry: Expensive soap if the first thing that comes to mind. That's the jasmine and rose talking.

Later: I've lost most of the top note florals. All that's left is rose-clad amber and stinky musk.

Overall: Dolce Stil Nuovo is not as funky on me as Brisingamen, and the lavendar/carnation seems to cut though the funk while the jasmine marries the two together. But those top notes fade so much faster than I would like. I gotta say, though - this is a very well-blended scent that didn't morph much after it dried, and the resulting sweet/musk hung around for hours with decent throw. This is a "I'm a grown-ass woman" scent, like a key fashion accessory that can either dress up your jeans/blazer combo or pair elegantly with a cocktail dress. I don't think I'll wear it much, but I don't see myself culling it from my collection, so I'll stick with the imp.

Edited by kolibri

Strong, floral soap when wet. After a bit, strong musky floral soap. Fades quickly, thankfully.

I came back to my bottle of 2011 after nearly three years of it sitting unused, and it still barely smells of anything! I'm wondering if I'm olfactorily blind to everything in it. It's bizarre.

So,am I the first to review the 2015 version?

In the imp: Hmmmm, kind of a sour floral. Which kind of scares me a bit.

Wet on skin: Kind of bitter.

Dried down: Still bitter. There's also a sweet floral, but it kind of clashes with the bitter, rather than toning it down.

Throw: Not a whole lot, but I'm ok with that.

Verdict: ** Yeah, I don't think this one's for me.

This was a heartbreaker for me. It smelled almost exactly like a loose makeup powder I used to wear back in the early 90's. It started that way and it ended that way. It wasn't unpleasant, as such, but wasn't what I was hoping for, and it was sort of overwhelming. Oh, well - more for everyone for whom it shines! And I have learned to stay away from golden amber and musk notes paired together, so learning experience?

Reviewing the 2015 oil. A very warm and sweet perfume. Very classic smelling, the chief notes are the vanilla, rose Otto, and amber with the other notes adding fepth and support. This reminds me of EDITH CUSHING without the goody quality.