Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with linden blossom, calla lily, passion flower, and narcissus.

First review (for me)!

In the bottle, this is a very, almost cloyingly tropical sweet.

On my skin, it turns into a tropical florals with a hint of sweet vanilla and a sharp green undertone.

It's a beautiful smell. The scent "aura" is long-lasting (and the scent itself has lasted close to 10 hours on me so far) and has a great throw. I was three feet away from my husband when he started sniffing me. Only complaint? I think this is far too exotic a smell to be named after a United States viper, but it certainly has an aggressiveness and bite like its namesake. :D

Going on my "to-buy-when-I-have-disposable-income" list. Very lovely, I'll have to make sure I stock up before Carnaval Diabolique disappears. :P

Edit: included description. Edited by Shollin

Cottonmouth is a cool, clean, fluffy white floral that pairs so well with Snake Oil. In the bottle this was my favorite, without ever even looking at the notes in it. It is just so pretty. Fresh and springlike!

A dulled-down version of Snake Oil... sort of generically sweet? I think it's the calla lily/narcissus combo that's not doing it for me.

I think I like my Snake Oil straight up, really.

I actually think that florals and Snake Oil go well together. Regular Snake Oil tends to turn rank on my skin.. there's just something in it that doesn't agree with me. Most floral perfumes are way too strong and astringent and make me cough. But together, the florals in Cottonmouth sort of keep that rank note in Snake Oil at bay on me, while the Snake Oil keeps the florals from making me want to cough and my nose curling up. Every aspect of this oil blended well together on my skin, and the outcome is very pretty. It's a subdued, comforting, warm floral. Another that I fell in love with and bought at Shelldoo's salon.

this is a soft, warm pretty scent. it's musky and a bit powdery. the florals are subtle and not cloying at all. very pretty! another snake pit scent that i love.

Cottonmouth took me by surprise. Prior to it, I had had no positive experiences with anything more floral than an incidental carnation or apple blossom note, and so the floral notes worried me. However, I gave it a go when I received a frimp from a sale, and I was pleasantly surprised--even amazed.

On me: This scent is Snake Oil's prettier, lighter sister. Obviously they share the same base, but unlike Boomslang (the only other Snake Pit I've had the chance to try), the Snake Oil roots in Cottonmouth are much more distinct. It has the same complexity in the incense and spices, and the same sweetness in the vanilla. The floral notes, however, make the blend a bit lighter and a bit more gentle. They are soft florals, more pretty and delicate than they are heady, and they tone down some of the richness of the Snake Oil base. I couldn't pick out any of the specific flowers, and nothing grabbed on and over-amped. It was a very delicate, balanced blend.

Over time: Like Snake Oil, Cottonmouth didn't morph on me. After the drydown period, it stayed relatively constant. What amazed me, however, is that I was constantly leaning in to sniff deeper, to make sure that that beautiful scent really was coming from there. Like I said, I didn't have high hopes for the florals. ^_^;; The scent had a moderate lasting length on my skin.

Verdict: Sometimes I think that sellers know me better than I know myself. I never would have picked this out myself, but having been frimped it, I am so glad to have the imp in my collection. Since it shares so many similarities to Snake Oil, Cottonmouth isn't one that I would search out and buy a lot of. The floral notes, however, make it a lighter and more delicate relative, and I see myself reaching for this in warmer weather, when Snake Oil becomes too heavy and too cloying. It's also, I think, a great choice for people that usually avoid florals, like myself. It is sweet without being sugary, delicately floral without reeking of flowers, and truly a lovely blend. I can't think of any descriptor better than beautiful.

This is a very floral snake! I actually like a lot of the flowers listed in this blend but it doesn’t really smell of Snake Oil at all. The most striking of the bunch I’ve tried so far. I would consider getting a bottle of this. Very summery and love how much throw there is.

I don't think I ever tried this when it was young. Now it's about 6 months old.

Wet, the florals are very strong and a bit sharp. They calm down right away, as they dry. Actually, they seem to just keep fading, away until there's nothing. For the first 30 minutes, this is pretty light florals and Snake Oil, in about even balance. After about 30 minutes, I smell mostly Snake Oil, with faint florals in the background.

The florals aren't gone, but they're definitely soft now. The overall throw seems lighter than Snake Oil, and the wear life is definitely shorter than average. I looked for it to wash it off after a few hours (making room to test more), and I couldn't find it, whereas the other snakes I tested were still very noticeable.

This is very pretty if you like floral scents. I'm not sure how to describe the floral quality, but it seems similar to some tropical blends. A wonderful springtime snake oil!

Edited by naeelah

This has surprised me a lot. It's so pretty! Now, I love Snake Oil, but I wouldn't use the word 'pretty'. 'Sweet' maybe, 'sexy' definitely, but not 'pretty'. But this is like fresh flowers in springtime. A delicate scent. Interesting because yesterday I tried Boomslang and it's so much heavier and richer. The Snake Pit is so varied :P

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Cottonmouth is light, white florals over spice. Dry, the florals remain but the spice is barely there. It's very pretty and feminine.

First florals burst forth, then the linden Blossom, then the passion flower. It has a tropical smell about it now, with a 'clean' smell behind it (Linden Blossom?). Oooh, I can smell the vanilla coming through now! :P

Yesterday when I wore this it was different, it was really sweet and vanilla creamy, and I nearly swapped it away prior to this, but I was glad that I tried it again! I hope it smells like this again on me!

bottle: very light linden and passion flower.

wet: beautiful! the linden and the passion flower warm up and jump out making me smell like a tropical paradise!

dry: no snake oil in sight, just tropical flowers. this is very girlie and beautiful.

In the imp, this is surprisingly light - the floral works really well with the Snake Oil.

On my skin - this is going to sound strange, but this has an almost cola-ish scent that really works for me, a sort of sharp sweetness.

When it's dry, I think this is the Snake-Oil-based scent that comes closest to working on me, but it's just not quite there.

First Impression: Snake Oil Lite.

Dries down to: A faintly floral Snake Oil.

Additional Comments: This is a soft Snake Oil. I can't pick out any specific floral notes until a bit later when the linden blossom finally shows up. I was actually hoping for more linden blossom, which is one of my favorite florals, but at least it's obviously there. This is a pretty, everyday scent but very light and short-lived on me.

Lasted: About an hour.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

My first thought: This is similar to Australian Copperhead.

My second thought: *sneeze*

Third: *sneezesneeze*

Yeah, I didn't even get this one onto my skin before I started with the sneezing. :P

(Luckily I like Copperhead, and it doesn't make my nose crazy!)

Initially after putting it on it is mostly Snake Oil. Then it starts smelling like I imagined Coral Snake would smell - apple and florals? Huh?

But a short while later it moves on to washing powder with Snake Oil. This is a very clean floral snake to me, very dry, white and fluffy with vanilla sweetness. It is nice but turns a bit sharp on my skin, but all florals do that to me. The drydown lasts for a long time.

All in all it is nice but not my favourite snake by far because it is just not the kind of thing I tend to wear.

Expectations: Hahaha, florals. I'll bet my right eye that this doesn't work on me.

In vial: Sickly sweet florals. Almost fruity.

On skin, wet: The height of toilet paper holder scent, plus some mysterious citrus that shouldn't be there.

On skin, dry: Less sweet, but more soapy. Amazing throw.

After time: After 20 minutes, the smell isn't too bad unless I stick my nose right next to my arm, at which point the flowers seem slightly rancid, and I feel like I might sneeze. Ugh, another 5 minutes and it's gone back to toilet paper holder.

Conclusion: I'm just not enjoying this. I really think it could be ok if I was getting any Snake Oil at all, but it's pure floral.

Very light in the bottle, once applied, soft and warm, reminiscent of vanilla, but more interesting to me (vanilla is mostly wasted on me). I get a restrained snake oil, hints of florals and incense, and it doesn't change much, although it has a relatively short wearlength. A comfort scent, nice to catch a whiff on my wrist as I work.

Unlike the other Snake Pit offerings that I've tried, this is the most un-Snake Oil smelling blend so far. Again, I have to defer to alicia_stardust's visual description. (it is spot on) This is lovely white flowers with a hint of vanilla. Clean and dainty without being super-bubbly.

I was afraid of this one, with all the florals listed (darn allergies :P ), and was pleasantly surprised when I tried it on. It's a very soft, feminine scent, and not overtly floral in the slightest. Makes me think of the scenes in YaYa Sisterhood, when they'd sleep out on the porch of summer nights.

In bottle/imp: Flowery with a light touch of musk.

Immediately on skin: Flowery and powdery. I don’t get any yummy snake oil from this one at all right away.

After a few minutes: Very light flowers. And I mean VERY light. It’s not dominated by the lily like I was afraid of, and it’s slightly sweet. I can barely detect the Snake Oil in this blend either. Whereas the origingal S.O. is a very sexy scent, this one is a light feminine version of that.

Overall Impressions: I love Snake Oil, but this blend just didn’t do it for me. It’s very light and didn’t leave an impression on me at all. I love floral scents too, so this really surprised me.

In the bottle:

Rating: 5

Notes: passion flower, linden blossom

Comment: Sweet floral, but not too strong.

Wet on skin:

Rating: 5

Notes: passion flower, linden blossom

Comment: Nicely sweet.

Dry on skin:

Rating: 4

Notes: calla lily, narcissus, passion flower

Scent Intensity: 3

Comment: Became a stronger floral, which is not so much my thing. For a floral, however, it's not that bad because it's a little fruity.

Misc:

Duration: +5 Hrs.

Keyword(s): sweet, floral

Color: Fleshy guava

Smells like: N/A

Edited by Akasha Tsang

Wet all I get from this is light, sweet flowers. I don't really detect any Snake Oil. The flowers become slighter sweeter the longer I wear this. I like florals but this is not one I'd reach for often.

I really don't like florals, but this one blended in with the Snake Oil is something I can wear. Somehow this reminds me Antique Lace, (as did Australian Copperhead), but better, very nice for spring or summer. I will be getting a back-up for sure.

Wet, a light floral. Most of the flowers in the description are not very familiar to me by scent, so I can't pick them out.

Clean, light, soft, and springlike.

Ok, it took twenty minutes, but, the florals decided to really bloom. This isn't as light as it was, because the flowers are asserting themselves. This is very definitely floral perfume now, with the snake oil only apparent as an earthy base to nourish all the flowers. I'm not getting much vanilla from it, yet.

For a floral perfume, it is nice. I don't usually pick florals to wear, but this one I might. Hm.

Edited by Aerinha