Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dressed seductively and sumptuously, reclining in a bed strewn with glorious, sensual blooms, she awaits the arrival of her lover. Her breath is quick with anticipation, and her cheeks are flushed with passion: skin musk, wild orchid, champaca flower, amaranth, tonka bean, and French vanilla.

This is just gorgeous--a sweet creamy exotic floral doused in French vanilla, warmed up by skin musk and made more sensual by tonka. If you think you don't do florals, it's things like this that converted me. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle - The vanilla and the orchid are mixing into an almost candy cherry scent. The champaca is much stronger than I'm used to, although the orchid is by far the stronger of the two. It is nearly overwhelmingly sweet.

Wet - I'm actually rather glad that my skin tends to eat vanilla notes.

Drying - That orchid is just so very strong, to the point of overpowering almost everything else. I'm getting faint whiffs of the musk and the tonka, but the floral needs to calm the heck down so that the other notes can come out more.

Dry (4 hours later) - It went into this cheap, overly sweet and yet faint floral scent. The French vanilla is there, but smells cheap as can be.

Overall - Terrible on me.

Now this is how I do florals!! It's absolute perfection on my skin and one I horde. Smooth, sugared flowers and creamy vanilla with mild, sweet musk. I think the champaca gives this a little candy vibe but in a nondescript way. Like the conversation hearts that don't really have a strong flavor but they have that certain something that's creamy and rounded. It goes on like it's going to be really strong but in a few short minutes, it's all laid back and gorgeous. It never gets pungent or overly sharp floral/soapy on me. If I envision a flower to match this scent, it's a flower that has creamy, almost white petals that are edged in dark pink. I'm so thankful that this scent works for me! :wub2:

In the bottle, this is gorgeous; skin musk, orchid, and what might be the French vanilla, just this wonderful sexy scent. On my skin, this is that same skin musk and orchid and vanilla, and just absolutely wonderful. Glad I bid on this blind, and the bottle is going onto a second skin test to be absolutely sure. Stealth hit!

Edited by Venneh

Wet: I was intrigued by the strong orchid note in the imp, but that's not what I get when it's freshly applied. Actually, for the first couple of seconds, it has an unpleasant sourness to it. That quickly morphs into a tart but sweet berry-like fruitiness, fused with a soft floral. The skin musk and creamy notes round it out. So far, it smells rather commercial, but not in a bad way.

Dry: As it warms up on the skin, the champaca and the skin musk come join the delicately fruity creaminess. The champaca-skin musk combo is really lovely, sultry but in a dainty sort of way... I think they're two notes that go really well together. With the passage of time, the vanilla and tonka get stronger too, and their creaminess really comes to dominate the scent. There isn't much throw, so it turns to a skin-close fruity-floral vanilla musk. It's soft and not overly sweet. It's really the champa and skin musk that add interest here... BPAL's skin musk is a really hard to pin down but very pleasing scent, it's feminine and a bit sultry but with a clean lightness to it, and the champaca flower is great and has the faintest of incensey undertones.

Overall: It's actually really pretty. The sort of floral I'd recommend to people that are normally afraid of florals, but also to somebody who likes a lot of commercial fragrances but is new to BPAL. It's the sort of scent that seems like it would work on anybody of any age in any situation. But for that flexibility and inoffensive charm, it loses something... there's nothing wrong with it, but it's lacking some oomph and... je ne sais quoi. I wouldn't mind getting more of it (all I got to try was a testable sniffy) but I won't go out of my way for more of it, either.

ETA: Why did I say this was kind of blah? I was seized by the sudden urge to acquire more of Vasakasajja just recently, and oh boy, am I glad I leaped for it. Its exotic creamy floral scent is nothing less than addictive. It's something I can wear in any season for any occasion. Don't we all need an all-purpose scent like that in our lives? Yum.

Edited by findaghost

Vasakasajja

On: There's a sour flower note to this that is weird on me. The rest is a mix of sweet flowers.

1 hour in: Pretty and floral. More of a tart floral now than sour, which is good. Definitely musky and sexy, but in a playful and confident way.

2 hours in: Pretty tart flowers still. There is so "feminine" (to the extent that there is such a thing as the feminine /postmodernism) and beautiful. I'm getting a powdery feel from the musk. Lovely.

4 hours in: A teensy bit sharp on the floral edge. The musk is still pretty and powdery.

5 hours in: A softy, slightly soapy, powdery floral, with a hint of something almost fruity and something sweet.

Overall: This is really nice, but I'm not sure how much I'd reach for it.

In the vial: Orchid and champaca with a background of creaminess! :wub2:

On: Sweet, slightly musky floral. It reminds me a little bit of Prague, or of Vasilissa, and yet it is neither. As it dries, it becomes less fruity. It seems to me that the orchid is taking charge. I don't have a problem with that - I love smelling like a big, exotic orchid :yum:

Later: The WHOA ORCHID phase has left the building, now orchid and champaca are playing together nicely as a sweet floral again. No creaminess anymore, which makes me a bit sad, but it's still a nice blend and I'll keep the decant.

On the skin: Orchid! I recognize this from Great Vampire bat, only this one is not surrounded with incense. Instead this orchid is paired with a light vanilla and creamy musk. A very light scent on me. Starts off slightly plasticky at first, but that seems to fade pretty quickly.

It's a pretty scent, but I just don't think it is for me.

Warm, sweet, and slightly floral. I'm starting to become addicted to BPAL's orchid note. This stays pretty close to the skin, but if I move the test area anywhere near me, I get a nice whiff of it.

Wet: Wow, that orchid note is beautiful! Reminds me of the one in Lamia, which I adore. The sugary vanilla is beautiful with the orchid. This isn't very strong though, and I am having to slather some more on, as it's fading fast.

Dry: This is a BEAUTIFUL sweet orchid scent on me. I am loving it. Pretty good throw and lasting power for a floral! I can see getting a ton of wear of this in spring. I really really like it.