Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dressed seductively and sumptuously, reclining in a bed strewn with glorious, sensual blooms, she awaits the arrival of her lover. Her breath is quick with anticipation, and her cheeks are flushed with passion: skin musk, wild orchid, champaca flower, amaranth, tonka bean, and French vanilla.

Mmmm....

I smelled filigree_shadow's bottle of Vasakasajja at the recent Chicago area meet 'n sniff. It smelled lovely in the bottle and I immediately put it on my "want" list. I just obtained a bottle in a swap, and I am thrilled that it smells even better on my skin and it has rocketed to my Top 10! It is everything I wanted Dark Delicacies to be. Some of the notes are similar, but Dark Delicacies went really sharp on me. (Incidentally, that's what I swapped for Vasakasajja, so I hope my swap-ee likes it!) Vasakasajja is a gorgeous, lush floral blend, and is so well blended that it's difficult to pick out specific notes. I'm not sure I'd say it's sexy, but it is just beautiful. I got several compliments on it today at work. Must obtain more! :P

On the wand, this is fruity, full, and honeyed. On my skin, the fruit is still there, but a spicy edge manifests briefly. After only a moment, the spice melts away, dissolving into a creamy, faintly floral torrent of scent.

This is very, very nice. It’s reminiscent of peaches, not juicy, fruity peaches, but a pale peach-blossom mist of fragrance. I wouldn’t blink for a moment if cream accord were on the list; this scent has a very full, voluptuous feeling that fits in well.

Historically, skin musk goes evil on me, so I braced a bit for disappointment -- but there isn’t a trace of evil. This is just flowing and beautiful and languid.

It mutes down rapidly, but maintains a throw about three inches out. It doesn’t wear off quickly, it doesn’t mutate, and it doesn’t go evil. I am very pleased with this scent.

I think the one thing balking me from liking this more than I do is that its identity could be stronger. It is beautiful, undeniably, but I could not pick it reliably out of a list or recognize it on the air. Nonetheless, it is enchanting, and I’m definitely coming back to this again.

Have I really not reviewed this yet?? I must have been busy wearing this too much... :P

I really expected to prefer Abhisarika (musk, cream, orchid and rose??? that's a big no brainer), but no, Vasakasajja has stolen my heart. This has deep, lush tropical fruit like something I've read about but never even seen or tasted; rich, sweet, brown, real vanilla like vanilla beans warmed by the sun; and laced all the way through is a purple, grape-y orchid steaming in the jungle. I wear this whenever I want to feel deadly feminine, along with a low cut shirt. That way Vasakasajja can waft up to me all day.

This scent makes me want to wear flowers in my hair all the time! It reminds me of a breeze coming through the window of a sun-drenched room, blowing away the gauzy white curtains and the rich fabric covering the canopy bed to reveal tropical flowers and long hair and bedroom eyes...

It's tropical! The throw's good, it gives off an exotic feel. Creamy, sweet, tropical flowers with a touch of fruit. Coconut? But not too much because I'm not a fan of the coconut, and I love this. A lot in common with Dreamland, maybe because of the skin musk? A summer night dream scent! Brings to mind jungles and paradise and beautiful things.

This is the perfect summer scent. It smells wet and voluptuous, and the musk is crystalline. Touch of exotic fruit makes this fun.

In the bottle, a whiff of some half-remembered pleasure from years past; the more I try to pin it down, the more elusive it becomes. Yes, fruity rather than floral, and warm. And oh so comforting.

Sniffing from the bottle, Vasakasajja makes me think of Dr John Seward. So that must be the champaca flower dominating (they also share tonka, but I don't think that's what I'm noticing here).

Wet on my skin, the champaca is still strong but the other florals make an appearance. After a few minutes the vanilla and musk kick in, and temper the florals with sweetness and depth.

The champaca flower definitely works a lot better for me in this blend than it did in Dr John Seward. I find it rather bitter, but Vasakasajja's other sweet ingredients balance it out nicely.

On drydown, vanilla seems to be the most prominent note, and it's a lovely creamy vanilla. I think that must be the tonka helping it out. I used to think I loved vanilla, but I eventually realised it's a bit too sugary for me usually, and tonka is more like my idea of what vanilla should be.

Vasakasajja is a beautiful and romantic blend. I don't wear a lot of florals, and it is closer to a typical commercial perfume than I generally like my BPAL to be, but I can definitely find a place for this one.

At first I can smell the orchid, and then the vanilla/tonka (I can't tell them apart yet) a few minutes later. Throughout I get a tangy, berry-like smell...is that the champaca flower? This is very youthful and intently flirty.

There is something in this which comes out in the bottle and wet on the skin that makes me actually grimace. I don't know what it is - maybe the skin musk? I just don't know and I can't tie it in with any of the listed ingredients other than that, and even that's only a doubtful maybe.

Whatever it is, though, it soon disappears as the blend dries down and ooooh my... the wait is SO worth it, much as the wait of the Heroine herself, no doubt. The orchid in this is GORGEOUS and the vanilla has a beautiful edge to it. It's clearly defined rather than a gauzy haze, which is how I usually experience vanilla. There is a definite fruity scent to it as well - I get a very obvious peach scent, which is rather lovely. It's all there but it's all mingling incredibly well - at least those three notes are. I'm still not completely sure on the rest, and peach isn't listed so I'm not sure just what it is I'm smelling that is so similar. Maybe somebody can help me out with that one. :P

I didn't think I was going to like this one on first sniff. But it's very special indeed. Heady, warm and luxuriant, this is most definitely a special occasion blend.

Sadly, this is one of those scents that does the generic berry takeover on me. I can smell the orchid around the edges, with a tiny hint of vanilla or tonka underneath, but the main overruling scent is fruit, aka champaca flower (I think).

Ah well, she's off to a new home.

I had really started out dying for Varahotkantia and I recieved a sample of this with it and I am in love with this and not the Varahotkantita! It is strange how the world works!!

In the bottle and first wet on my skin, I am getting just a generalized sweet floral - nothing special...

As it dries down, I am catching the wild orchid, a hint of of berry, but no french vanilla or tonka to be seen - it is beautiful but still not a huge headliner..... at least not yet...

After about 5 minutes on, this is the most beautiful, innoncent and seductive scent!! It's sweet, but not in a foody way. This is a perfect blend that is slightly sweet orchid with the pefect hit of berry right at the tail end. It is the perfect combination that keeps it from being an overpowering orchid or overly foody from the vanilla. This has a perfect throw within your personal space and it really lasts a long time!!! This is a favorite!!!

When I first opened the bottle all I smelled was diapers (or bandaids?). ick! Shaking the bottle seemed to mix it well enough, and then it smelled a lot better. huh.

On my skin it blossoms into juicy tropical fruit with some light floral. I don't know which floral is prominent, but I love it. While it is very beautiful, I was hoping for a bit more (vanilla? musk? where are you? :P ) I suppose I'd be more excited about it, except that it reminds me of some calgon body spray (um, hawaiian ginger? I forget what it's called). Not a bad thing, but a touch generic.

Edited by kelp

Starts off as just florals, but quickly dries down to something that smells like more of a fruit blend than a vanilla/tonka/florals one.

Its very very nice and sophisticated, but I was definitely hoping for that musk and vanilla. Oh well, off to swaps. I have other fruity blends I like just as well.

In the bottle: Very pale yellow oil. Sweet, floral, creamy. The vanilla is quite lovely, very rich but not foody, and the tonka is light, mostly providing sweetness. The florals are languid, the champaca sophisticated, the orchid distinct and new to my nose.

Wet: Ahh, tonka is a bit more present now, grr, and this is sweeter, almost foodily so. The florals have a heavy, velvet feel to them, suggesting humid summer nights, with the orchid dominating - it's reminding me a bit of Shadow Witch Orchid now. A tiny bit of nutty warmth from the amaranth comes through, making the blend all the richer.

Dry: Very slow to dry. It's taking on a distinctly fruity feel, though - like wild plum, or a berry maybe, or lotus - something hot pink and a bit bubblegummy. The tonka remain strong and sweet, and the vanilla has amped and taken on a slightly boozy quality. The champaca has amped too, but the orchid is still stronger.

Later: The musk, as generally with skin musk, really takes an hour or two to fully emerge, but it's powerful and glorious when it does. The amaranth also amps up a bit, reminding me a bit of Dana O'Shee, and almost making the blend foody again.

Summary: Sweet, heady, rich, creamy almost foody floral over a deep sexy musk base. All notes are distinct but blend quite well together. The orchid, vanilla and musk take the fore, with champaca right behind, and softer, muted tonka and amaranth as well as something pink and fruity. Utterly feminine and quite womanly. Tremendous throw and lasting power.

It's just a bit too rich and creamy for my tastes, and I don't like the earlier tonka stages, but it's a beautiful and unique scent, one I would recommend to those who typically fear florals.

Oh my this is.... :P

I got this in a swap and didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. I like a few of the ingredients...but wowzers. Beeeeyoootiful!!

It's a very young scent, it smells slightly of fruit and slightly floral, I thought I'd get much more vanilla & Champaca flower (One of my favourite notes).

This is one of those blends that's blended so well it's hard to pick things out..but the orchid is there quite prominently and the vanilla gives it a lovely roundness and softness, this is a creamy creamy scent.

Drying down a bit further it gets softer and so much more feminine, not much of a change, it's still stunning! This could go into my top 10 LE's for sure. It smells like shampoo or something..

I've not smelled anything similar to it before.

I don't really know what else to say really, it's one of those one's your going to have to smell to appreciate the beauty, it really is very lovely.

If you like youthful, fresh and girly scents, try and get at least a decant!!

10 out of 10 Beth!!

Edited by ouch!

In bottle: sweetened floral

On skin: luscious orchid and incensey champaca flower

Half-hour later: a decadent vanilla has warmed up under the rich florals

In conclusion: this one had such a stellar reputation amongst my forum friends, I knew I had to try it eventually. The vanilla is so delicious and doesn't turn to plastic, and anchors these lush florals. Beautiful!

First sniff: A hot, rich, sunshine-bright floral. This tryst is taking place in broad daylight with all the windows flung wide.

Wearing: Sun-warmed flowers, sun-warmed sheets, sun-warmed skin, blazing yellow and electric orange and flamboyant and exhilarating.

In the vial: This smells very appealing. I get tonka, vanilla, and floral. Normally I'm not crazy about scents with tonka or vanilla as the dominant notes, so this should be interesting.

Wet: The champaca flower changes the tonka-vanilla base into something I really like. This is not in my usual zone, but it is quite beautiful.

Half an hour: Oh, this is soothing. It's not the usual flatness I get from orchid, but it seems as if there's a creamy smooth base with the champaca over it. It is sweet, in a vanilla sort of way, but I'm not getting the crazy amping I got from the French vanilla in Wulric.

One hour: This has gotten more complex now. The floral is stronger and there seems to be a different note in it as well. I can barely notice the tonka and vanilla now; instead it's become a very gently musky floral.

Three hours: This is one of those gentle, smooth scents that constantly mutates on me. Right now it's musky orchid with a light floral top.

Four and a half hours: Unexpectedly, I like this one a lot. It's very delicate, though. I'll keep it for now and then reconsider, but I expect I'll probably wind up trading it away.

I am beginning to think I amp champaca flower. The reason I am beginning to think this is because this, and Defututa smelled almost identical. And normally I can detect vanilla or tonka in a blend - not here. There was a predominant floral here that WASN'T orchid. And it didn't go away. This was thick and heady and not at all what I was expecting. I can vaguely detect the skin musk much later in the drydown but that was about the extent of it. Pity, I was expecting to really like this.

Wet: Commercial perfume. Ick. :(

First on: Unchanged. Nondescript perfumey scent.

Dry: Still unchanged, and I'm going to scrub it off now.

This is a devastatingly sexy, floral incense blend. Mostly champaca with heavy floral notes, my greatest criticism about it is for the lack of promised french vanilla and tonka. Very perfumey, very incensey, and very grown up. A sexy, dressed up Indian incense blend. Nice!

Hm, very pretty. Creamy and floral feminine scent. A bit of musk, but mostly sweeeeet floral overload on me. Not for me, but very nice!

Once applied, I get a mix of mellow vanilla like skin musk, with a touch of soft floral (not overly so). The throw is not intense, but when you huff it, it's beautiful and powerful. It's very sexy in a subtle way. A person would have to be up on you and sniffing at you to smell it, and even then the victim person sniffing you may think that what they are smelling is your natural aroma (slightly floral slightly sweet slightly vanilla laced skin musk) It's beautiful.

As it dries down, the champaca is making itself known. champaca can be a hit or miss on me. Sometimes it can be too sweet. The champaca in this one matches the skin musk beautiful and they calm each other down.

Just lovely!

:wub2: This is love. Wild orchids and champaca flower mingle with skin musk and vanilla. Spicy, creamy, sexy florals sweetened by tonka bean and french vanilla. It sticks close to the skin and has this blushing bride vibe going on.

I get a weird orange-y skin musk from this and I think it is the champaca flower and the orchid. By the time the orange-ish note burns off, the skin musk is just so faint I can barely smell it. No vanilla or tonka. Tragic, because I was so excited for this blend! :cry: