Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heretic

Wulric, the Wolfman (2006)

Friendly, charming, and cuddly, but possessing one hell of a mean streak: cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus.

This is such an interesting, unique scent. Lavender and cocoa are two notes that I never thought would blend together well, but they really do. The end result has a lot of potential, but sadly, not on me. The lavender hates me, but I'd love to sniff this on a guy!

In the bottle it was almost all lavender, but on it seems perfectly matched with the vetiver for a cool, crazy sharpness. I can barely detect the cocoa, but it smells like the dry, unsweetened kind--very bitter. This scent is so complex I don't think I can adequately describe it. But it's sharp, herbal, alert and mellow, and it's the kind of scent that will have people sniffing you over and over, wondering what smells so very good and yet so very strange.

omg this one was a surprise hit. i thought this could go either way but had a feeling that i must try it. it's definitely mostly vanilla-cocoa on me with hints of lavender and vetiver, and it's very well blended, so other notes are difficult for me to pick out. it reminds me a bit of a lush massage bar, for some reason, but i'm not sure which one. it's warm and cocoa-y but not TOO foody, which is perfect for me. i may have to get a bottle of this.

When I first smelled this in the bottle, I was overwhelmed by the cocoa. Thankfully it dried on my wrist and the chocolate was replaced by a light vanilla. I didn't get any of the Lavender, but I still love this scent. Very sweet without being overpowering.

I didn't know what to expect fom this scent by reading the notes. I usually have trouble with sage and lavender, but I thought perhaps the cocoa, vanilla, vetiver, and musk would tamp down that pesky herb scent. Not so much. The cocoa was rather strong at first, but then the lavender came through. When it's dry, it smells like a combination of lavender and cocoa. If I had to guess what that smelled like (without smelling it), I would think it'd smell odd. It does. To me, anyway.

I think I'll pass this over to my husband and see what he thinks. He usually likes lavender.

Friendly, charming, cuddly, with a mean streak. Sounds like me.

Cocoa and lavender are strong in the bottle. This one is viscous, and there's something dark settled at the bottom of the imp that I have to shake to mix with the rest. The smell is strongly chocolate/herbal, like this lavender-flavored chocolate I like to eat from time to time. Interesting! More strongly lavender than I'd like, but . . . here goes nothing.

This chocolate is rich and milky, creamed toogether with a little vanilla. But oh, shit, the vetiver is under there, giving it a sharp, bitter note deep down. Vetiver is one of those attention-getting notes, and putting it with a sweet and foody smell like chocolate creates a frisson. Something isn't quite right here. The lavender keeps you from noticing it right away, because it and the vetiver occupy a similar part of the smell, but once it fades, you can see that what you thought was a well-groomed, well-fed dog is really just a big wild animal. The musk and vetiver overpower the lavender, and the chocolate stays strong.

Its drydown is really cool – it's musk and the cistus (resin of rockrose), with a touch of vetiver and the smoothness of chocolate/vanilla still lingering. Much less foody, but still furry and soft. Very nice!

It really is a neat smell, but it always has that feeling of being about to go over into foul territory. The combination of chocolate and dark musk is particularly . . . fragrant. It's not a scent, it's an odor, if you know what I mean. It's dirty, almost stinky. The kind of smell you imagine would appeal more to your pets than to you.

I like foody scents, but I'm not keen on chocolate, so I don't like it as well as I'd hoped, but it is a very effective evocation of the fragile balance between man and beast. A little civil, a little savage, not quite all there, but pleasant enough as long as you're scratching its tummy.

Well-done.

I'm in love with a wolfman. I seem to be obsessed with chocolate lately so I decided to give Wulric a try. There is the dark powdery cocoa and the lavender. The lavender is smooth and muted, made a bit earth from the cocoa and sweetened just slightly from the vanilla. This is so beautifully blended that no note is jarring or out of place. This will be my new sleep scent because the cocoa, vanilla and lavender are so soothing in this blend. Beautiful!

Wulric was very interesting and complex. When I first put it on, it was pretty much just "Hello, I am vetiver and I'll be your server for tonight!". Fortunately, the cocoa came up and asserted itself after about 15-20 minutes, which was a definite improvement. The two duked it out for a while, and it looked like vetiver won, but it turned out that cocoa had merely retreated to gather reinforcements. I'm not entirely sure which notes it picked for its allies -- there was a very colorful, almost fruity note, among others -- but it ended up very interesting and complex.

I liked it a great deal more than I had expected at first sniff. I don't know if this is a scent that's really me, but I do enjoy it. It would definitely smell good on the right man -- maybe I should save it until he comes along? :P

Wet: Cocoa and dirt. Not as bad as it sounds. :P

First on: Cocoa and a touch of vanilla, drowned in dirt (vetiver) and something...oh, there IS lavender in this. Herbally chocolate, and I'm surprised how well it works.

Dry: Hmm...just nice chocolate and lavender. Not something I'm coveting, but I'll keep my little partial decant.

In the bottle: lavender and cocoa, it's a very disturbing scent. Also, the oils always separate, it needs to be shaken up to mix.

Wet: lavender, with hints of cocoa coming through. It's like Lavender SN meets Bliss.

Drydown: Lavender and sage, I think, still in the foreground with cocoa and vanilla hovering deep behind. It smells fresh and foody at the same time. After a while, the lavender starts to lift, giving way to other elements there that I can make out but can't name, a creamy gentle floral (cistus?) and something lemony and woody (the birch tar?). It smells very wild, woodsy. The cocoa and vanilla are still there, but more in the background, perhaps the vanilla is stronger and provides a backdrop to the cistus. Extreme drydown returns to vanilla and cocoa, it's a real cycle.

Overall: This goes completely floral on me, of course. I really like the opening with lavender and cocoa, but the bright floral is pretty boring to me, it reminds me of sun screen or something. I do like the way it morphs in a cycle, though, going from foodily cosy and homy, to herbally sharp, to wildflowers and trees, back to foodily cosy - a nice werewolf's story. Oh, yes: this stains the skin, I'd be very careful applying it to clothes, too.

I love chocolate scents and I was eagerly awaiting my decant of Wulric.

In the imp, this oil has a tendency to separate with thick dark cocoa swirled throughout. I gave it a good shakin' :P .

First sniff in the imp is almost all lavender, and a hint of vetive! Where is all that cocoa I'm staring at? No fair!

On the skin, the cocoa starts to come out, and a touch of vanilla. It's spicy but cool chocolate. The lavendar fades down a bit but the sharpness of it + the vetiver doesn't leave completely at any point. This is so close, but no cigar. I want to love Wulric because it sounded like a perfect companion to my all time favorite, 13 (April 2007). Unfortunately not to be. To the swaps!

Wulric wasn't even on my radar when Act 3 first came out, but I figured I'd give it a try after seeing a few good reviews. To me, it smells like Villain with a little bit cocoa and vanilla. The cocoa becomes a little heavier when I wear it (chocolate/cocoa amps up on my skin), but as time passes, it turns into a classic cologney scent. It's gorgeous. I need a bottle in my next order, as I think it's going to be in regular rotation this summer.

Wow.

I was a little wary, because this is such a strange-sounding mix of notes, including some that normally don't work on me (yes, I'm looking at you, vetiver).

In the bottle, this is heavy on the lavender, sage, and a wee bit of cocoa in the background.

On the skin, wet, it's lavender, chocolate, with a dirty bite of vetiver. Gods be praised, it's just dirt and not soggy ashes like vetiver normally goes on my skin.

Dry, this has a great life--decent throw, and lasts for hours. It can't quite decide whether it wants to be foody or herbal, and in the end, it's neither. It's lightly musky, barely civilized, and quite feral.

I cannot stop sniffing this. So complex, and keeps changing. I'm so glad I took the gamble on this one.

Jewelbug let me try her decant. Hee...

In the imp: Chocolately.

On Skin: Chocolate and kinda minty. It reminds me to an after dinner mint.

On Drydown: It just turns musky and the chocolate goes away.

After an hour: The chocolate came back! Woo! And now it's got that hint of vanilla to it.

Verdict: I think I need my own decant. There is something in the chocolate that kind of reminds me to the Candy Butcher but CB ended up too floral for my tastes. This on the other hand is quite a smashing hit and caught me completely off guard. I am off to hunt my own decant now.

Wulric is lovely, absolutely lovely. I admit I had apprehensions about ordering a bottle of a fragrance masculine-inspired, but the idea of nefarious yet cuddly and a WOLFMAN ensnared my interest enough to order. To me this is hardly a foody scent, definitely cocoa versus chocolate, but well blended enough that you need to know the notes to pinpoint them. With my chemistry the lavendar and cocoa are completely entertwined, giving an impression as one instead of one or the other, creamy, slightly herbal, but more along the lines of entering an exotic and delicious smelling greenhouse instead of perousing around someone's herb cabinet.

Even though this impression is much more sound after its settled for a minute.

I also definitely smell more than a hint of tonka, which is what the combination reminds me most of. Rich, creamy, but not even close to a bakery scent. I think I need another bottle.

Wow!!! This scent it wild! Mostly a very strong chocolate scent...but when I smell deeper I can smell the lavender. When I stop smelling my nose is tingly from the citrus! None of the scents blend together because I can pick them out one by one. By they work well together. I think this might be a little too much chocolate for me but I am very intrigued about the lavender/chocolate mixture. If you like chocolate though you would LOVE this!

Wulric has the dark sort of vetiver that scares me away. Beyond that, I can barely detect some sage and lavender. This probably works really well on those who can wear vetiver.

Thanks to zankoku_zen, adopter and enabler, I tried this one. Wouldn't have done it on my own as lavender usually ends up waaaaay too strong on me. Here, however, it is tempered by dry cocoa note and a hint of vanilla, so it starts out soft and disappears quickly. Vetiver takes its place, giving the scent a nice complexity and a hint of darkness. Lovely; need bottle.

Oooh, I am a sucker for the chocolate scents!

This one frightened me when reading the notes because I usually cannot tolerate most any form of vetiver (or vetivert), and the lavender/chocolate combination intrigued me, as I have had chocolate bars infused with lavender, but as perfume?

Wow, this is lovely. The chocolate/lavender combination is divine! The vetiver is not even rearing its head, and there is a gorgeous vanilla undertone that makes everything so beautiful and, well, CUDDLY! I think the vetiver is actually just lurking in the backdrop and rounding the scent out to keep it from being too sweet. It smells heavenly on me, but would smell just as good on a guy...

This one is a big winner!

:P

Pure lavender and cocoa goodness. In the beginning both the lavender and cocoa are quite strong and it's a very herbal-smelling chocolate, but as Wulric dries it softens and becomes the ultimate comfort scent: sweet lavender with chocolate like a cup of milky hot cocoa.

I have a decant now; a bottle will be a must.

When first applied I get lavender with a chocolatey type scent – not too sure if they mix very well. The cocoa seemed stronger in the bottle and I thought that would easily dominate when applied. Just under ten minutes later the lavender dies down and the vetiver emerges. It’s nice but not really for me though there is something very comforting about it.

i was so looking forward to testing wulric, bu at the same time worried i wouldn´t like it.

lavender & chocolate - that sounded like a very strange mix to me :P

imp: i definately smell the lavender, but the chocolate is there as well.

wet on skin: the first thing i get is the lavender. i like lavender, but i don´t have any perfume that contains a big dose of it. somehow it strikes me as too masculine, i guess.

the chocolate - a dark one - is there, too, but it doesn´t mix with the lavender for the first minute or so. both stand side by side, or no: the lavender stands in front, the chocolate is one step behind.

then both start to mix...

drydown: the chocolate got stronger than the lavender, then both start to mix again, creating an almost powdery effect, but there´s a bit of sharpness underneath.

after a while, this dries down to a vanilla scent. it took me a while to realize that it´s really vanilla i smell. a lovely one :D it reminds me a bit of vanilla exquise by annick goutal, but without the sharpness.

result: i really, really like it! it will take me more testing to say if it´s love & if i need a bottle, but it´s definately a wonderful blend :D

I almost didn't try Wulric, and what a sad girl I would have been.

Wulric was one of the first imps I received (a decant from my original enabler), and I remember opening it, smelling the cocoa, and thinking, "No, thanks," and putting it back - and then changing my mind at the last minute, thinking, "Oh, well, I might as well learn what I don't like."

Boy, was I in for a treat.

In the imp, it's ALL cocoa - which did initially make me wary. And wet, immediately on my skin, it's still all cocoa (and it's definitely cocoa, as opposed to chocolate - it's dry, not creamy).

But once it's dry, it's so much more than cocoa- the vanilla and musk provide this nice warmth, there's a sweet, light herbal undertone from the lavendar and sage - it's so beautiful. A wrist-sniffer for sure!

Verdict: My absolute favorite so far!!! I will definitely have to hoard up some bottles before the Carnival leaves town.

In the imp: Hmm. In the imp, it's amber with blobs of dark brown, a little like a lava lamp. I suspect the cocoa of separating out for some reason. Once I've shaken it up a bit it's rather pretty, in a leopard-spotted way. It smells like smooth, good quality chocolate backed by an equal share of lavender.

On the wrist: A bright, strong lavender, darkened by a little chocolate and something else faintly woody and warm, probably a blend of the khus and the birch tar. I disbelieve the vanilla.

One hour later: Largely the same. The lavender has become a little stronger, the cocoa and khus have weakened slightly, and it's all faded a little. Overall it's rather nice, but not as nice as I hoped from the ingredients. 7/10

I have been known to eat lavender-flavored chocolate, so I was eager to make the acquaintance of Wolfie.

He did not disappoint.

In the imp: chocolate with a faint medicinal undertone (I think that's the sage). Almost minty but not quite.

Wet: cocoa and lavender.

Drydown: cocoa, lavender, herbs, pepper, and something else...not sure what....reminds me somewhat of Intrigue, of all things, only less cedarwood. I must say that I can't pick up much of the famous mean streak. He's a puppydog on my wrists.

Low throw, above average wearlength.

ETA: I revisited Wolfie again this morning. He is just as divine as I recall, but today I didn't find the wearlength to be above average. He seemed to fade away fast. Strange.

Edited by Czarina