Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

In the Imp: Smells very oily, a bit spicy, but mostly like the floor of a mechanics garage.

Wet: Ugh! I thought since everyone liked this sooooo much I would too. Unfortunately not. It smells like vanilla scented baby-ass ointment!

Dry: Ugh, it's been thirty minutes or so and I can't take it any more. My wrists still smell like a combination of motoroil, random chemicals, and baby ass, with an ever so slight high note of sickly sweet vanilla cake. Quick pass me the rubbing alcohol!

Throw: Great throw, not that I really want it to throw that far...

Overall: Definately not for me. I'd actually like to know exactly what's in this oil so that I can avoid some of the ingredients.

Edited by Galatea

Oh my....this is good.

As soon as I opened the bottle, I was hit with a spicey, almost overwhelming aroma.

Then I dabbed a bit on the skin. Warm, sticky sweetness emerged. No longer spicey as in the bottle, the vanilla scent surged forward, supported by a spice background, which dried to a fragrant, powdery finish.

Very comples scent which changes with every whiff.

Beautiful.

In the vial: Spices! And a hint of vanilla.

On me: Hint of vanilla? No way - This is ALL spicy, glorious vanilla. This is one of the sexiest scents I've ever worn. I'm absolutely in love.

Verdict: Ordered a 5ml bottle! I adore this.

Rating: 5/5

I grabbed for the imp of Snake Oil because I wanted something with vanilla. Mmmm, strong vanilla wafting around me. It sort of reminds me of the vanilla in Antique Lace. I keep reading the reviews where others mention spices, but I can't smell them. Then I put my nose to my wrist and was so surprised that the fragrance close to my skin was so completely different than the throw. It was spicy, but not sharp and there was something in there that reminded me of marzipan. I could see reaching for a bottle of this quite often, plus it layers well with my first love Manila. For anyone that loves vanilla, it should probably be a staple in their collection.

Throw - As I previously mentioned, strong vanilla. This is still going strong after 12 hours.

*sniff* No wonder people adore this! Spicy sweet vanilla. Usually vanilla is too sweet for me but whatever the Indonesian oils are in here, they level the sweetness out nicely. This is so much more sexy than O. Oh yeah, I'm wearing this tonight!!

Of my 7 original imps, this one is in heavy rotation . Warm sweet, seductive.....appetizing. Drippingly delicious, spicy and musky. Stays on well, but I keep wanting to put moreon thru the day due to the addictive nature of this scent. If I smelled this on a person, I would want to nibble them... :P

Snake Oil - I couldn’t believe it when I realized I’ve never reviewed Snake Oil because it is one of my all-time favorite BPAL scents. As soon as I got my very first imp of this, I understood why it is one of the most popular BPALs. I am halfway through my 5 ml bottle and will be needing a 10 ml soon. I love the scent. It is sweet in a deep sort of way (i.e., not cloying or foody or sugary) and full of exotic depth and spiciness. It is a scent that I can wear when I want to feel sexy, when I want to be noticed, when I want to feel comfort, when I want something to help calm me down, and in many other situations. It’s a perfect blend. If I were to rate it, it’s a 9.5. The scent has the absolute perfect amount of throw (enough to be noticed, but not enough to offend) and it lasts for hours. I adore the way it smells when layered with Smut, as well. This is a permanent part of my BPAL repertoire.

In the vial I smell mostly exotic spices.. When it touches my skin, the sexy exotic spices intermingle with the vanilla- Gah..if any scent could give you an orgasm, this one would be it!!

I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist.. I wanted to bathe in Snake Oil, powder with Snake Oil, sleep with Snake Oil.

This is bottle worthy- actually, like keg worthy.

Snake Oil. ... it's very low-laying, very musky, very comfortable on the skin. It's a non-traditional scent that truly nails the Lab's style, and if I were to cut back on my BPAL, this is the blend that I'd keep on ordering. :P

I'd describe it as... that ultra-sexy brown sugar and vanilla scent, dragged through and smudged by patchouli smoke and spiced with a prickle of sassafras. There's a layer of something dry and dusty brushed over the top -- the amber, perhaps? I'm not a fan of that bit.

It's "hippy," yes, but it's the scent of a badass boots-wearing, debauchery-reveling, intelligent and articulate, eats-the-girls-on-America's-Next-Top-Model-for-Breakfast hippy. I read elsewhere on the forum that a Capitol Records high-up buys Snake Oil by the 50 ml bottle, and I wasn't surprised. The scent totally fits that image.

What else, what else? I agree with what another reviewer wrote: "Snake Oil has been recommended as a substitute for Snake Charmer since Snake Charmer was a Limited Edition. Any similarity I'm noting is very faint."

I tend to layer it over Antique Lace.

...This is my first ever review, I hope I'm doing this right.

The first time I ever tried SO, I ran, screeching to the sink to boil it off of my arm. It reeked. That bad.

Then, a few weeks ago, I decided to give it another go. I am *so* glad I did. It is one of my very favorite scents now.

Wet: Eep. Musky incense hits you over the head in a very overt way. I smell the sharpness I associate with cheap vanilla extract. (but wait, give it a moment)

Drydown: Oh sweetness. The vanilla s-l-o-w-l-y rounds out, becomes fuller, loses the sharpness. The incense and musk boogie and seem to give birth to a spicy little love-child right on my chest. Woah.

Dry: Amber is here (or maybe its Patchouli, but it smells so damned Amber-ish), in a subtle way, toning the spice down, and balancing the vanilla, musk, and incense notes. And I could swear I smell coconut in this (though I think I smell coconut in everything).

After an hour: It smells like I spend my Saturday mornings smoking vanilla beans in Buddhist temples instead of watching cartoons.

And, throughout the day: Admittantly, I am starting to get weird responses from people when I encourage them to sniff my chest. -I've had a few compliments from laboring women who happen to hang out in that area as they balance on the edge of their hospital bed waiting for anesthesia to put in an epidural. It gets extra points for not being too strong to wear to work.

Edited by Little Sister of Eluria

This is so much more sexy than O.

I couldn't have said it better myself! O smells sweet and innocent to me, while Snake Oil...well... :P

At first, I wasn't sure about this, because when it was still wet it smelled very dusty and the vanilla was nowhere to be found. But then, it blossomed into a gorgeous, sweet, sexy, dark vanilla that kept my nose attached to my wrist for hours. I've heard this gets better as it ages; I've had my imp for about 8 months if that means anything to anyone.

To sum up: :D :D :D I love Snake Oil!

In the imp: Rich vanilla with a definite incensy kick. Very yummy!!

Wet: Vanilla, spices and incense. This is so me!

Dry: Oh no, the spices are fading rapidly. In fact they're gone within 30 minutes, leaving me with vanilla and... patchouli. I hate patchouli although this isn't evil patchouli at least. It's more warm and rounded.

1 hour: Warm rich vanilla with a fairly hefty dose of patchouli.

2 hours: Same. The patchouli is really starting to get on my nerves and I have to wash it off.

*sigh* I so wanted to love this, and in the imp and wet it was so promising. But I've gone off vanilla of late, and the patchouli was too strong. If the spices had stayed I'm pretty sure I would have liked it far more. I've tested this several times now, always hoping this time will be different, but no.

However I'm definitely keeping the imp as I think this would be a really good one to layer with. I've got a heap of incensy blends on the way and I'm sure one of them will work wonders with this!

And one day maybe I can learn to like patchouli - something I would have said was impossible before Bpal.

EDITED TWO WEEKS LATER

Well I kept persisting with this one, and it finally paid off! I wore it out of the house so I couldn't wash it off and discovered that the patchouli does die down after a while, and it becomes a warm vanilla with a dark and sultry centre. Much more my thing. Also in the patchouli stage it smells a lot better wafting around me than when I've got my nose pressed to my wrist every 5 minutes. I quite like this now, even if my partner says it smells like Fruit Tingles.

I still doubt I'll ever get a bottle though.

EDITED 6 MONTHS LATER

Famous last words huh. Guess who got a bottle in her order this week? I realised I had fallen for it as soon as I finished my imp :P Now I can't believe I once never liked it much - how could I have not have fallen for it immediately??

Edited by Trishek

This is a pretty awesome scent ... It must be amazing in the cooler months if I already like it this much in the sweltering heat of August. It strikes me as a non-food type, grown-up vanilla scent. Very comforting with a hint of mystery.

In the imp: Earthy and sexy. I am definitely getting spices in this... and patchouli? It's smell fits it's appearance, dark and thick.

On the wrist, wet: Spicy warm vanilla. Morphing...

On the wrist, dry: Nag Champa. I smell like a headshop. Maybe it's just me, but this smells very akin to Nag Champa...

Final Analysis: Not for me. Off to the swaps.

This is my favorite scent. A sweet spicy vanilla, its the one that has me sniffing my wrists all day. As it ages it mellows, but is never over vanillay as some vanilla scents can be.

A keeper

Ow....this goes straight into my Bpal top5, no doubt!

(got this as a sneak preview to my very first lab order, which includes an imp of Snake Oil)

I love this spicey, vanilla goodness.....and thanks to GypsyRoseRed I got to try both new and aged Snake Oil side by side and I have to say I love both! So I guess I'll have to have a bottle to use right away and one to age :P

*runs of to little corner again to continue sniffing self*

What else is there to say about Snake Oil? Nothing new, of course, but I have to put my name down on the list of those who adore it. Favorite BPAL scent, hands down, and was from the moment I first sniffed it. It's warm it's sexy, it's spicy and inviting. It makes me feel absolutely wonderful - confident, calm and strong - and more than a little edible. Sadly, my husband wasn't crazy about it at first, but I keep slapping it on, and just yesterday he told me it was growing on him. Good thing, because I'm going to wear it whether he likes it or not, but I'd prefer that he find it appealing.

One small quibble - I keep staining my light colored shirts with it. I'm not sure how I get all the speckles over them, but I really need to be neater about my application. So far, they've washed out, luckily.

first whiff - omg, i just wanted to curl up in this smell and roll around purring.

on me - ouch. it burns!! this was my first owie-skin problem with bpal. apparently my skin doesn't like one or more of those nummy-smelling Indonesian spices. i don't smell the vanilla hardly at all - just a teasing hint of it when i least expect it.

i'm keeping this. i'll eventually find a scent locket or something to use it with. :P

I was expecting this to be a lot more vanilla than it was. The spices are definitely sominant. I smell like incense, which is very not me. I was hoping this would be more creamy, vanilla with just a hint of spice to liven it up....but it's really spice with a bit of vanilla, and spices that to me are very incense-y. Fine for those who like incense but it just makes me want to sneeze. Drat, and I was so looking forward ot this scent!

gonna preface and say this is not aged, its lab fresh Snake Oil, I've yet to try aged..

In the vial it is a semi-spicy kinda strong scent. I can't pick out the notes to be honest but its very incense-y.

Wet on the skin, its the same strong scent but it almost immediately starts to calm down. There is a creamy base (the vanilla) to this that beats down that strong bowl you over incense scent.

Dry on the skin it morphs into this lovely scent. Its light but strong enough that I am getting wafts of it. I am getting that incense scent still but there is a peek of what I can only describe as a gingery scent coming forth and blending gorgeously with the creamy vanilla base. This is a really nice scent. Its not something I would wear all the time but I see why people love this.

Well, I finally got to try this.

In the imp: This is really, really thick. Smells warm, sweet, yummy. Ummmmm....

On the skin: Whoa! Did something cool slither by underneath that? Yes! Under the warm yummies, there's definitely something cool, a little green, and scaly. Not in a bad way, though. Lends a note of intrigue.

That interesting cool thing slithers off after a few minutes, and I am left with warm vanilla-sugar over spicy jungle flowers. Words fail me. I just want to roll in this!

No wonder this seems to be everybody's favorite. It smells like warm carmel pastries in the greenhouse of an exotic flower grower, and feels like a long luxurious cuddle after a particularly satisfying romp.

And - wonder of wonders! - it stays with me! I can actually wear this on my skin and keep it for hours!

Ahhh ... so this is what the cat feels like when he gets catnip!

I believe I'll have some more ...

I was really excited when I got my last order and saw that I had been frimed Snake Oil.

But....in the bottle, all I smell is smoky, spicy, something. I dabbed a bit on.....and ugh.

All I get is heavily smokey..leather? :D

However...the fiance was handy, so I made him try it. Wow - on him, it works. In fact, it works so well that I will be getting him a bottle of it soon as I can budget it in. The results were.....well, they were very very good. :D

On him, the smoke disappears, and I get a nice, spicey, leathery thing going on that, well...drives me wild. He's not allowed to wear it outside the house... :P

Thanks, labbies - even if I can't wear it, I can still enjoy it!

I was SO excited to try this one... but, with much respect to the lab and in the words of Mr.Horse of Ren and Stimpy, "No, sir. I don't like it!" :P

This is very true to its description. Sugary-spicy vanilla, very sexy and appealing. It's sort of deep and dark, but sweet too. Intoxicating, really. I wear it at home by myself just so I can smell it. I can see myself wearing this if I can't decide what to wear...very much an 'old faithful' or go-to scent. Yeah there is almost a Play-Doh smell there, but if I hadn't already heard that I might not have detected a Play-Doh smell. Must be some or one of the 'exotic oils' used in the blend. I don't care, I love it and I'll be getting a 5ml as soon as I can afford to.

Edit: About a year and a half later....I continue to really like Snake Oil. It's one of those scents I don't wear very often, but never want to be without. It doesn't fit my personality as much as something quieter and smoldering like Djinn, but when I am in the mood, I really love Snake Oil. It is rather heavy and very potent, with a powdery element that comes and goes, almost like heavy incense smoke that's nearly too much. But I get noticed when I wear it, that's for sure.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Eep! I think my expectations of this one were a bit too high... it does smell good, but not nearly the holy grail of BPAL I had expected it to be. I get a spicy, incensy vanilla with, yes, the tiniest hint of playdoh. That goes away within half an hour, though, leaving a very nice smell behind, but... it just doesn't capture me the way my favorite BPALs do. Huh. I'm going to keep my imp around, though, try it aged and all... perhaps it will grow on me. :P

Edited by Dandelion