Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

Snake Oil - had heard a lot about this and got an imp at last!

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

In the bottle: oh dangit. It’s very musky with that tone of something I’m 99% certain I dislike passionate. Makes my nose itch!

Wet: warm, sweetish, is that amber? The musky/incense tone is definitely less now

Drying/6 mins: Still very incense – but not that specific one that was making my nose go nuts. Very warm and sweetish, a nice blend but I suspect something I wouldn’t ever wear.

Dry/15 mins: Soft amber and vanilla with a touch of something else – I’d call this a softer Bastet, sweeter perhaps. Not bad but not sure if it’s something I’d wear. Definitely keeping for a round 2 of testing.

At last I get to try the famous Snake Oil! It's not at all what I was expecting... I thought it would be spicier; instead it's just killer-sweet. I can kind of smell the vanilla in it, but it seems to be dominated by some kind of high, sweet floral -- lotus maybe? And there's some sort of dry woody note in there too... But not much in the way of spice. It's a lot more conventionally "perfumey" than I was expecting.

I'm also not getting much of the sexual vibe it's supposed to have, at least not yet. There is a nice warmth coming out in it now as it settles in, which has potential, but that high sharp sweetness keeps it from being as sensual as it could be. We’ll see how it dries down...

OK, an hour in, it's a lot less cloying and there's a nice resinous warmth there -- amber maybe? -- and I'm starting to see how some people might find it sexy (though in my view Sin kicks its sorry ass in the sex-in-a-bottle department). But there's still a certain weird aspect to it that keeps me from wholly liking it. Something a little bit chemical-ish and synthetic-smelling. I can definitely get the Play-Dough analogy someone made earlier.

A few hours later: after staying as warm ambery Play-Dough for quite some while, it finally settled down to a nice warm vanilla-amber that I actually quite like. Hey, if it had smelled like this from the beginning, I'd have been very pleased with it. But as it stands, it's like with Dragon’s Heart: too long a wait to get to the good part, and too nasty-perfumey during the waiting period. However, I might try it another time or two before deciding for certain whether to swap it away.

Grade: C+

All the preceding comments have described Snake Oil very well. I got an imp and was terribly excited to see what all the fuss was about. My first sniff from the imp caused me to say: "Oh yeah..."

But then I put in on and the sweetness would not calm down -- I was having the dreaded "Play-Dough" effect. I washed it off and felt really sad. Later on that night, whenever I would move my left arm near my face, I'd get a waft of a wonderful aroma. The Snake Oil was not easily washed off, and what was left was delicious.

I tried it again the following day by diluting it with a drop of distilled water and creating a bit of a Snake Oil cologne. It worked to help dilute the overly sweet quality and it smells outrageously good. This is very potent stuff, at least on me, but a diluted version has created that alluring sweet and spicy sniff that everyone who loves Snake Oil raves about.

And I think it is incredibly alluring. I am anxious for the male "nose" who critiques all my scents to pass judgment on it.

ETA: If anyone ever passes by this review in the pages and pages and pages of reviews, about 8 months after I wrote the review, I tried Snake Oil again. And I loved it, and it's become one of my absolute favorites.

valentina

:P

Edited by valentina

Snake Oil just doesn't work with my chemistry; it was either overwhelmingly sweet, or overwhelmingly powder everytime I tried it. Smells good on the person I gave it away to though, and it had a really strong throw, so I can see how it's a favorite when it works.

(Snake Charmer on the other hand is great on me!)

There comes a time when one sits down to write a review and they realize all they can write is a love letter. This is that time for me.

Snake Oil is the finest scent Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab has to offer. It has no equal amongst its peers or anywhere else in the perfume market. It is the perfect blend of the familiar and the exotic, the spiritual and the carnal. It is sensual, seductive, hot with passion. Every woman should smell like this. Every man should as well.

When I wear Snake Oil, I feel powerful, seductive, charming. I don't receive compliments on it, I'm afraid, andI wonder if that's because I am a man. I wonder if it intoxicates me because I'm a man and thus swayed by its charms. I don't mind. If no woman ever complimented my Snake Oil, I would still wear it. It's simply that good.

The bottom line is this: if you only ever buy one scent from the lab, choose this one.

I can't do this scent justice in haiku, but out of love, I will try.

Snake Oil Haiku,

Soft, silken sheets stir,

Where, serpent-like, entwining,

The two become one.

Erm...baby powder? Albeit very nice, vanilla-scented, ever-so-slightly spicy baby powder.

This is fresh from the lab, so I think I'm gonna let this one age and retry in a few months. (Will post edit then.)

I wore Snake Oil for the first time yesterday. This is one of my mom's fave imps. I liked it at first because it was warm with vanilla and a hint of spice, but it didn't make my nose itch. And latley I'e been avoiding my oils because my allergies are making me sensitive to everything.

When i came out of my room she goes, "what are you wearing, it smells like one of your dolls you had when you were little" (my Cabbage Patch infant perhaps?)

she was surprised that it was Snake Oil cause our chemistries make it so different. I had a couple of my friends smell it. the guys gave it a thumbs up. but one said "smells like baby powder only better" I guess that was a compliment, but i have to admit it did turn into a vanilla powder scent after a while. another one that works well on mommy and not me. harumph.

ADDED Nov. 3:

this is a strong one.

my first impression was vanilla bean milkshakes smothered in spices.

but then it changed into the smell of Starship, an clothing store that sells body piercings, incense, and bags made from recycled hemp. (you get the picture)

It's nice but my mom likes it better. I guess she can appreciate the Hippy references to it. The nice thing is that is does last all day and it is a nice blend of vanilla and spices.

I'm brand new to BPAL, Snake Oil is the third oil I've tried.

I really, really wanted to love Snake Oil. After all, almost everyone does! Alas, on me, it's SO damn incensey, I felt like I'd moved into Ye Olde Head Shoppe. I desperately tried to hold out and give it time, but after an hour I had to shower it off. Headachey, disappointed misery.

Vanilla? What vanilla? My skin sucked it up in the first nanosecond. I do get some comfort from the fact that it is almost certainly my chemistry, and not my nose. My 14 year old daughter put a drop on her wrist the same time I did, and on her? Absolute Heaven. If a bit too...sexy for her age. :P On her, it was perfectly balanced, with obvious vanilla. Color me jealous as hell.

Edit: OMG. A kind soul sent me an older decant, and I finally understand what all the fuss is about. I now love it.

Edit nearly two years later: My all time favorite BPAL. Heavy, dark, spicy and sexy-as-all-hell vanilla. Incense? What the hell was I thinking? This is the scent of a dark Goddess.

Edit nearly three years later: I now buy Snake Oil six bottles at a time, and decant them into a one ounce bottle with a glass eye dropper lid. An ounce bottle generally lasts me a few months - I constantly try to put a back-up ounce away to age, but I just go through it too quickly. It has gradually permeated my clothes, my bedroom, my car; everything I own. It is the fragrance of my life.

Join with me, sisters: Beth simply cannot be allowed to retire.

Edited by LyndaM

It took me a couple of trials before I could make a final judgement but I've decided I quite love it.

Snake Oil is a warm, oh-so hot scent. Slightly sweet, musky and a lot of something I can't identify. Oh and sexy, definitely sexy.

And it must be said that out of all the scents I've tried yet, Snake Oil is the longest lasting. You can still smell this baby the day after.

I got my first BPAL compliment wearing Snake Oil. Ok it was from my Grandmother but still counts. And I loved her reaction when I told her the name. She got this bewildered look on her face and said "It's made from Snake's?". :P She liked it so much, she wants a bottle eventually and I promised to get her an imp to test out.

Edit: I got my second compliment wearing Snake Oil yesterday. I got into my sister's car and she goes "What's that smell?", and I was thinking "Great either I put too much on and it's overpowering or she hates it." She then asked me what I was wearing, I told her and asked why and she replied that it smelt really good and she thought maybe her husband had sprayed something in the car but no it was me. So yay! Although I'm not sure if that was her way of saying that I smell like a really good car freshener? Hehe.

Edited by silver_springs

There is a reason that there are 11 pages of reviews for Snake Oil and that is because it is the most gorgeous scent ever! It is sultry and sweet and just so morish. I always feel very sexy when wearing this. I currently have 2 bottles on the go...One I'm aging and the other I wear when I need a confidence boost when going out!

There is no vanilla in this. Only spices, spices, spices, and they're way too strong for me.

Off to swaps for this one. :P

In the Bottle: Strong scent of alcohol with some vanilla and spices.

Dry: Drydown happens pretty quickly and you get left with a very lovely rounded warm vanilla, spice and musky scent that is very well balanced and extremely appealing. I enjoyed this while it lasted, about 3 hours full strength and another hour low strength.

IMO, it's a shame not to mass market this.

Just recieved a free imp from a friendly Ebay seller yesterday! ^^

Snak Oil smells almost exactly like Snake Chamer. It's a bit lighter and sweeter, but Snake Oil is definilty Snake Charmers sister.

I can see why this is thier best selling oil. It's the perfect blend of spicy incense and sweet, sugared vanilla. Every note is well-balanced, warm and strong (but not in that headachy overpowering way). This is a scent everyone can enjoy.

My imp isn't going to last long, I'm going to need a 5ml a.s.a.p!

ETA 3/6/14:

This was one of the first reviews I ever wrote when i first joined the BPAL community. Shortly after I wrote that review, I purchased a 5ml bottle and still have it (cobalt!) Unfortunately, Snake Oil ended up turning to play dough on my skin. So much so, that a friend of mine actually commented on how I smelled like play dough while we were hanging out one night. He was right. It turned to a strange, flat scented dough note on my skin. I have tried it aged and fresh and both versions do the same thing for me. Snake Oil is really a beautiful scent but it just didn't work out. :/ I'm keeping my bottle though, at this point it's so aged the oil is dark and viscous. It's a great part of my collection and BPAL history. :)

Edited by Monster

I probably wouldn't have gone for this just based on the description, but its popularity made me determined to try it!

When I was trying to wiggle the imp cap off, my hand slipped and Snake Oil sloshed onto me. Normally with BPAL this event would have been accompanied by a strong waft of scent. However, I smelled nothing. I capped the imp, rubbed my hands together to spread the spilled oil around, and sniffed. I could hardly smell anything-- a tiny whiff of sweetish incense and maybe a breath of patchouli, but only from a millimeter away. Lift my head back up and it was gone.

I had this same experience with Sudha Segara. I just couldn't smell anything at all. I hate this, because Sudha Segara is super popular too and I feel like I'm missing out. I don't know if they have some of the same ingredients, but even the faint whiff of Snake Oil I could smell eventually turned nasty and playdoughish on me, so I didn't feel the need to slather more. Passed along to someone who will hopefully adore it as much as most people seem to. :P

First review omg.

I received this imp in my order yesterday and was surprised when I didn't instantly like it, as I've heard it's BPAL's most popular scent. It smelled like old books in the bottle and when I put it on.

However, when it dried down, it became a beautiful light vanilla with a little kick. It generated compliments from both my mother and 9 year-old sister. I actually went to the ER tonight for migraines and the (very cute) doctor began his examination.

He cut it short to complement how good I smelled (he said it smelled better than any room in the hospital!). I forgot that I still had it on from testing it earlier in the day, so it obviously has some staying power..

I'll definitely be ordering a 5 ml!

A very sexy scent, no doubt, but somewhat boring. With all the other scents that are similarly earthy and sweet, I wouldn't go for Snake Oil. It's a little simple for my taste I guess.

The odd thing is it also works on guys without smelling too "girly". I think this makes a good guy perfume because its sort of heavy and simple. Women should move on to Bastet or Scherezade.

Bottle: Fucking hell - MEDICINAL VANILLA (as if vanilla couldn't get any worse)! Somehow the blend manages to catch nearly all of the unpleasant scents you encounter when visiting the doctor's office (dry gauze, in-your-face antiseptic, & powdered rubber).

Skin: Ugh, Jesus, the perfume glides on like iodine. As it dries my skin starts to tingle, but the sensation quickly disappears as the notes become more clear. Bitterness surfaces (black coffee that's way too strong), only to mowed down by old leather. There's something paper dry lurking in the background (like those goddamn sheets of parchment covering the examination table that you always end up tearing even though you try really fucking hard not to). Vanilla stays constant, but it's more smoky tobacco than sugary sweet. A sharp wisp of rubbing alcohol cuts through everything making the blend even more unbearable.

Skin, Later: I have no fucking clue. Five minutes into wearing this scent I became nauseous as fuck and the only thing that cured the unexpected reaction was a six hour nap. My very unhappy, irritated forearms reveal how I spent the remainder of the day (washing, scratching, gagging, and washing some more).

Verdict: Despite my initial reaction to the scent I courageously marched on (I admit it, I'm biased - I really, really fucking hate vanilla). After reading so many glowing reviews I thought 'MAYBE THIS IS THE POSITIVE EXPERIENCE I NEED TO CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT VANILLA'. One half-day nap, several dry heaves, and one bar of soap later I'm thoroughly convinced that vanilla will remain my arch-nemesis (it's war, bitch).

I really didn't know what to expect when I got an imp of this. Sin also had a lot of incense and I hated it with a passion [patchouli and I do not get along]. Snake Oil is sweeter than Sin [haha], so it works.

On me it smells warm and...like copper satin [?] I get the incense, smells like Nag Champa, the sticks, not the smoke. And I don't really get any vanilla, but it's sweeter than plain old incense, so I guess that's where the vanilla comes in. As it is, I'll use up the imp, but I'm not sure I'd want a whole bottle of it. This would be suffocating any other time of the year, day or night, except for the coldest days in winter. It's too sexy and warm, and in AZ we only have super-sexy perfume weather for about 2 months out of the whole year. :P .

ETA: Never mind. I tried this on again today and while it's still 95ºF out, it's perfect. Warm and sultry without being overpowering. And I think my little imp has aged a bit and it smells remarkably good now. I may have to get a bottle!

Edited by faifai

snake oil smells warm, spicy and powdery on me. it reminds me of this amber musk oil i had in high school, but more complex. it has a very incensy smell that i like. i like spicy scents, and i like snake oil a lot, but i like my spiciness a little more floral or firey. i'll keep the imp though- it is a really nice scent.

ETA: i tried snake oil several times at later dates after writing this original review and i found it to be pretty baby powdery on me. however, it's 2014 and i am trying some aged snake oil from january 07 and i am digging it. it's a bit strong, i seem to amp something to 11 in this so i get a bit of a headache, but it's definitely not bad and not as baby powdery as i recall. i guess i should just use it sparingly.

Edited by theseagrows

This seems to be a popular scent, so I was excited about giving it a try. On first sniff, it is lovely--a strong vanilla with spicy undertones. And not imitation vanilla, but the authentic, directly imported from the source vanilla. Heady and sweet.

The way the scents mingle is interesting, because the vanilla becomes a solid base, but an afterthought to the spices. (I keep wanting to say I smell cardamom, but I'm not convinced that's it.) There's a hint of resin, as well, which is a neat addition.

It mellows into a smoky, rich vanilla, but it also takes a faint medicinal and powdery tinge on my skin. On the plus side, it lasts a long while, but I don't know if I like it enough to, say, spring for an entire bottle.

i just got this in a swap this morning, and wore it today. i don't get as much vanilla as i think i'd really like, but it's very lovely. i definitely get indonesian spices, like an exotic marketplace, snake charmers, etc. but not too spicy, just a hint of incensy spice covered in pure vanilla.

i don't get 'sexy' out of it as much as i get feminine and exotic, but it's a really lovely blend nonetheless. it's nice and simple, and i like it and i'm going to keep it, but i don't think it's my absolute favorite.

Snake Oil:

In the bottle: Mmm...cigars and vanilla! I hope it smells this good on me!

Wet: Spicy, in a really yummy way.

Drydown: Mmmm it's spicy-cigar-sweet, exactly what I wanted Juke Joint to smell like (and it didn't). I'm in love (though it's by no means my OMGGIMME!scent, it's still love).

Update: nearly 24 hours later, and I can still smell it (albeit faintly) on my wrist! (Hey, I put it on after I showered last night, I'm not gross!) It's a really warm sandalwood now, with just the hint of vanilla. Mmm.. this is a sexy scent. Like, club-sexy. Maybe I'll wear this to The Box (local 21+ goth club) on my 21st...

Conclusion: keep imp, and any other imps that come my way. Prossibly look for an empty Snake Oil bottle?

Edited by Ankhet

I wore vanilla for so many years (Body Shop, natch) that when I started buying BPAL I stayed away from anything with vanilla. It's a good thing I changed my mind, because this is a wonderful scent - warm vanilla with a fabulous spicy undertone. Not too overpowering, but with good staying power.

Brilliant stuff.

I got this as a frimp in a swap and was totally excited because I have been dying to try it out. Here is the lowdown:

In the Imp: It is vanilla with a dark background of the spices. Very Yummy.

Wet: The spices are making themselves known but the vanilla is still there keeping it sweet.

Drydown: It is what I like to call Spicy Marshmallow. It is creamy, sweet, and spicy without being overwhelming. All in all delicious.

Final Notes This definitely needs a place on my top ten list. I liked that there is some sweetness to cut the spices. I would compare it to Morocco which I liked but I wanted something more from. This definitely fit the bill. The scent has lasted a long time and I see a big bottle in my future.