Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

This is for the 2022 version. I had been dying to try this out considering it's BPAL's signature scent. 

Wet: I smell the patchouli first, followed by musk. Once it dries down for a bit, it becomes sweet and dark and a little earthy. The vanilla is warm, very deep, and musky. There's a touch of something powdery in a way that reminds me of how Oma (my grandmother, RIP) smelled, minus the sharp floral of her perfume--I think it's the patchouli. I don't think this is terrible in any way, and it blended really well with my skin, but I don't find it particularly great. After the first hour, I had to sniff my wrist to be able to smell it. 

Today for my birthday:  The very ends of a bottle of a very VERY aged release of this!  Delightful!

I don't know why i seemingly did not leave a review ~8 years ago, or- somewhere in the back of my mind, a little voice is going '...maybe it was scrubbed because it was too negative' if I did leave one. Y'all know. Spicy, vanilla, patchouli, AAAaaall that good shiz in a 'lil 'ol bottle. 

Welp. But, having the pleasure of trying it again this week after all that time... Oh how the turns have tabled......

Edited by Cali

I've never smelled Snake Oil on its own (I'm most familiar with it in Womb Furie) so I picked up a bottle fresh from the Lab. Strongly suspect one of the unnamed Indonesian spices is massoia bark, native to Papua, because to my nose, that's the buttery/popcorn note mentioned in reviews. That and the patch (cool-toned, rooty) are all I can really smell, the vanilla overshadowed by the buttery lactone notes until well into the drydown. I don't get any plastic or Playdoh nuances. Would I like this if I didn't know all the Deep Lore about SO? Hard to say, but I'll update the review after ageing!

a scent that needs no introduction. thee legendary Snake Oil.

upon first applying it... it is straight up church. sunday morning at like 9am and the priest is swangin that metal ball full of incense all around the people lmao. very... ceremonial.  the vanilla is very nice and warm, bringing a beautiful sweetness to the scent. it stays almost the same upon drydown, still very sweet and incensey.

unfortunately, I don't think I'll be wearing this in my day to day life. the scent isn't really my thing to wear out. but I'll definitely wear this around the house and in bed. I actually put it on the other night and could still faintly smell it after my 8 hour sleep. it's really nice, sexy, seductive, mature, smooth, ahhh. go ahead and buy an imp if you haven't already. cheers to snake oil!

Somehow it took this many years 'til I got my hands on the famous Snake Oil. And I always thought it would be strongly chai-spice-like - like Bengal - but it seems I was wrong. My bottle of Snake Oil is only about two months old so it's lab-fresh baby.

Snake Oil is soft, rich and sweet scent but not too sweet. Surprisingly foody but not too much. Vanilla is definitely the dominating note but it's not like pure vanilla - it's dirty, musky, spiced, honey-like loveliness. Maybe the dirtiness is patchouli or sandalwood. Someone above said that SO feels similar to Vixen and I second that. They are not alike but they do feel like one another. And Vixen has been one of my favorites for many years. 

Like Vixen, SO is seductive, warm and beautiful perfume that I'll happily wear. Great throw and lasts for hours and hours. I might need another bottle that I can store and forget to age. 

Edited by sudenmorsian

I got 2 imps of the recent SO, one must be from 2021 and the other one from 2020. I'm very bummed out because they don't smell anything like my 2016 bottle.

I get a very strong smell of sage on the drydown and instantly it reminds me of Western Diamondback. Maybe there was a mix up ???

Mmmmm. I love snake oil in other blends, really truly LOVE it. I literally don’t even know what I’m supposed to be smelling right now. I get no vanilla, no deep musk, no patchouli….. just powder. baby powder but burnt… Thats just MY experience however, my boyfriend smelled it and said “Oh my god you smell sooooooo sexy” so clearly IM the problem 

Edit to add: I have a very vintage bottle of this- so it’s not because of ageing or lackthereof! 

Edited by Weirdgirlpilled