Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

July 12, 2019, description update. The formula remains the same~ Our signature scent, our first perfume: deep, rich earthy notes swirled with vegetal musks, sugared vanilla bean, and dark spices.

i received this as an 'extra' with my first order of samples,and i fell in love with it the first time i smelled it! It's a dark,sweet,incence 'n vanilla smell,and i get TONS of compliments every time i wear it! Seriously,i have has so many people at clubs or wherever ask me,' what is that FABULOUS perfume you're wearing?!?' and i gladly pass along BPAL's web address : D

EDIT: Added Lab's description --Shollin

Initial Impression:

More exotic smelling than your usual spicy scents. I don't smell the vanilla right away, but it wafts out when I shut the bottle. Probably would come out more if worn.

After Wearing It:

On first sniff in the bottle, spices are all I catch. A sweet undertone maybe, but it's definitely spicy. But not spicy in the sort of way I'm familiar with. It's not a cinnamon-y, cooking sort of smell. It's exotic and unfamiliar, evoking images of bazaars in far-off exotic locales. As time goes on, the vanilla becomes more and more apparent, though it mingles and blends with the spices well rather than presenting itself on its own, making the scent sweeter but not in a way that screams DESSERT. It's sexy and decadent rather than just plain foody. Later (*hours* later), the vanilla does tend to dominate the scent leaving a vanilla-y powdery sent with a hint of spice. So in summary, in the course of 10 hours, Snake Oil morphs from Sultry and Sexy to Sweet, feminine and comforting. Nice Oil, def. a keeper.

Final Thoughts:

I ended up buying a bottle of this. I love it even more each time I wear it. And oddly enough I smell the vanilla in its wet stage more each time I wear it. Which is a happy thing.

First sniff: Snake Oil is sweet and spicy, very food-y. Brighter than Angel Innocent.

Wearing: More spicy on my skin, not as overwhelmingly sweet. Pretty nice, but I need to wear it again when I can actually smell.

On second try it’s damn sexy, and made me feel slinky all evening. No help in the man department though.

I really do like this one, but I think it's been supplanted by Ravenous as "perfume I wear when I want to feel sexy."

From Love Potions

I love this smell.. wet or dry it is fantastic. Vanilla and spice with a wonderful dryness a bit like smelling a wooden cask that has contained something wonderful... an exotic liqueur or similar. The dryness is almost like tobacco, but very special. When dry still gorgeous. A slight smokiness has now developed. I can understand why this is BPAL's most popular fragrance.

All Hail Snake Oil! :P So deceptively sexy! It is one of my faves by far. I got a sample with my 1st order as Elizabeth said I'd get it whether I wanted it or not & that I would not be disappointed. How right she was. First time I wore it was to uni & I had people coming up to me & asking what it was, I had men opening doors for me & got so many looks from the opposite sex! This works a treat with men. Wore it once when out with Red & I was mauled the minute I walked in the door! What is it with men & sweet/foodie smells?! (Not that I'm complaining!)

Snake Oil is the single best perfume I have ever worn, and is solely responsible for converting me from the mass-produced, sterile world of Chanel scents to the wonderful, whimsical world of Black Phoenix perfume oils. It is a warm, spicy, sexy scent, without being too overpowerful or too overbearing. The vanilla adds a sweet, luxuriant sexuality, and carries the Indonesian spices perfectly. This is the perfect seduction scent. It is almost universally attractive, and I can honestly say that I have never gotten so many compliments as I have since I started wearing it. This from both genders! It inspires an almost odd reaction from so many people. I’ve been sniffed and complimented getting into taxicabs, as I walk through the grocers, by my child’s pediatrician. A colleague actually stopped me during a meeting to compliment my perfume. Bicycle couriers have pulled over by me on the road to ask me what I’m wearing, for heaven’s sake! All in a very positive manner! Though I love many of Black Phoenix’s scents, Snake Oil is my single favorite, and no matter which scents I may experiment with, Snake Oil feels like my personal signature scent, and I will always come back to it.

In the bottle: This is so not me. Not sure why - it's just not meshing with who I am.

Initial: Eeek! Vanilla! I forgot about that, and it's probably the thing that bugged me. I am not a fan of vanilla, and now I smell like cotton candy. Only darker.

After an hour or so: Yep. Dark vanilla. Less cotton candy now, but it's giving me a headache. I smell like one of those flavored sugars you can get for coffee. I guess I'll be a dissenting voice and say that I don't particularly care for this one, or it doesn't like me - it doesn't want to work with my body chemistry.

I tried to give Snake Oil a fair shot, but couldn't take it anymore. I layered some Anne Bonny over it to cut the sweetness. I'm still getting hints of vanilla, though. If I wasn't heading out the door in twenty minutes, I'd probably take another shower.

To be honest this scent is just Meh! to me. It's a very round scent with no sharp edges, but nothing special, i personally feel that it's too sweet, but i'll stick with it...see how i go. Sorry for lack of description!

i just recieved my first BPAL package today, and the very first scent i was itching to try was Snake Oil.

first impression: very exotic, spicy, with undertones of sweetness. i didn't smell the vanilla right away.

initial wearing: still very exotic/incense like, with a powdery sweetness balancing it out.

after dry-down: the vanilla is coming out, slowly & surely. it's sweet, balanced with powdery spice.

i really like it...i can foresee this as a one of my "signature" scents.

(can't wait to try the rest of my samples!!)

at first: smells almost fruity. also, sugary.

on: i understand why this is one of bpal's most popular fragrances. it's lovely: floral, but in a spicy way, and a bit sweet. however, the sweetness isn't an in-your-face kind of a sweet; it's there, but it seems to serve more to pull the fragrance together. i'm really liking this.

3.5 hours later: fabulous. definitely sweeter than at first, but still wonderful.

overall: i really like this. i'm glad elizabeth tossed it in as a sample. i'll probably be getting 5ml of this.

Inital thoughts:

Mmm vanilla. But it smells like rich vanilla and not the sort of vanilla you fine at Bath & Body Works or something. Very spicy but not overpowerful. I'd probably wear this when I want to make an entrance...I definitely like it.

After wearing it

I have gotten asked out more times today then I have in the past couple of months. I blame Snake Oil...this stuff is like a guy magnet!! On me you can barely smell the vanilla but it's more spicy and rich. I wish I knew what sort of spices though!! The vanilla scent tapers off after awhile though so if you love love vanilla that stays prominent you might want to get another scent

I recommend it highly 8)

Whatever you do, DON'T just smell this in the bottle and set it aside to try later. You MUST try this now. I couldn't really smell anything out of the bottle and set it aside ....not on my priority list to try. I tried some of my deeper, woodier scents first (as those are my favs)....WOW, was I surprised when I put this on this morning. I immediately fell in love with this. It really morphs into a beautiful spicy/sweet scent that is indescribable. I only ordered a 5 ml bottle of this. I'll definitely be replacing the 5 ml soon. I never thought this would smell so lovely and be so long lasting and strong on like it is. I can see why this is #1 seller.

LOVE IT. Great Job Elizabeth!! (Now I've got to try Haunted since Snake Oil and Haunted are Elizabeth's faves)

I would advise everyone to order a sample of this scent before buying a bigger bottle. I, too, was impressed by the reviews, but when I tried it myself it smelled like an old man's aftershave.

Everyone's chemistry is different! Try before you buy!

Everyone's chemistry is different!  Try before you buy!

ALWAYS sound advice!

Luckily, my chemistry loves Snake Oil. And so does my SO. And so do I! :P I do get a lot of the sweet-vanilla, but the sweetness is sultry rather than cloying. I can't place the spices exactly, but they're exotic and sexy, and yet I still don't feel self-conscious wearing this to work. I can't say I've experienced increased attention from anyone while wearing it (I haven't with any of the supposedly aphrodisiac scents, though others have - darn the luck) but I do love this scent and find it dead sexy. More so when combined with #20 Love Oil, which I sometimes do.

Snake oil is verry nice. On me its a warm, spicy vanilla scent. It lasts quite well, the next day I have just a hint of it left. This is probably close to a universally pretty scent, not too sweet, not too spicy, not too vanilla. Even those among us who are just average suburban soccer moms can appreciate this as a beautiful scent to wear! I will be enjoying my imps ear and very likely following up with a large bottle.

I got this as a free sample and as soon as i opened it i was like MMMMMM!!! A nice warm spicy vanilla... this scent is somehow very familar but i cant place from where. Unfortunately my body chemistry doesnt agree with this one, a shame because i love this scent, it turns too sweet on me.

I LOVE love love this scent. At first, I was a bit taken aback: it's tropical, but not in a bird of paradise/debbie gibson way, and there's where the confusion begins. Who ever heard of melding bright, resinous flower with vanilla? Not me. The scent is at once welcomingly familiar and difficult. A very sexual scent, and one that doesn't rely on musks to give it that libidinous center. People *react* to this, and they're not even sure why they're doing it. The oil is seductive, golden-green, grainy and sweet. The vanilla adds warmth and depth shuddering through the perfume instead of shocking with a slick extract-y warble.

I'm just another smitten Snake Oil wearer-- what sealed the deal for me was that I get a cola scent from it. Vanilla-spice, yes, but also a cola-nut AND Coca-Cola smell that I love. There is a sweet, gentle sparkliness to Snake Oil when it's first applied, and it dries down to a soft, rich nuttiness.

I have never been a wearer of vanilla-based scents. I feel like I'm hiding a bakery in my bra. But, THIS, THIS is different - what a sexy, warm, embracing scent. I am a convert! But, alas, I don't see myself buying any other vanilla-based scents but Snake Oil!

The first of my samples that I've tried, and I am In Love. Snake Oil is TOTALLY beautiful, an exotic vanilla when wet, then drying down (on me) to a woody, smoky-sweet smell slightly reminiscent of hippy-shops or (as my husband put it so well) 'the morning after one of those wonderful all-night parties in the late sixties/early seventies - the kind of perfume the girls were all wearing.'

there was one faint smell that reminded me SO much of a smell from my childhood and mid-afternoon it hit me - I was getting a very faint aroma of Pear's Soap (a smell I absolutely LOVE). Two colleagues tried Snake Oil on their wrists too, and it smelled totally different on each person, although each outcome was beautiful in it's own way. So IMO this is definitely one that reacts with your skin chemistry.

A truly beautiful scent - I'll be purchasing more of this!

This is a beautiful scent, but unfortunately it's not for me. Of all the BPAL samples that I've tried, this has the greatest staying power. I recommend it to BPAL virgins who can't decide what to get. It seems to be a hit for most people. When smelling it, the words "rich and sultry" come to mind. It was a bit too overpowering for me, although I got used to it with every application. I ended up giving my Imp's Ear to a friend, because she had a Valentine's Day outfit that just screamed Snake Oil.

I got a sample of this with my first BPAL order and just placed an order for a larger bottle. I love this scent! I really have a difficult time choosing between this and Sin when I'm going out. I don't know what I'm going to do if I find another I like better.

I used to live in Indonesia and this scent brings back wonderful memories. I don't know exactly what the scents are...but it just reminds me of walking around Batuphat on a Saturday when all the women are cooking.

Can't wait to try my next batch of scents!

This dried very powdery on me. I'm not sure I love it by itself but it's something I will use with some of the other oils. I put Swank on over it and the Snake Oil really toned down some of the sharpness of Swank. I really loved the combination.

I would say if you are just getting BPAL fragrances, this is a MUST. Definitely my favorite. Very very awesome scent. I get compliments on it everywhere I go. It is absolutely gorgeous!!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Mm. Vanilla- but not just vanilla; a lovely insency kind of vanilla. A keeper. Amazing staying power. I had people giving me compliments and even flirting with me all day long. Very nice :P