Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

Something's wrong with me - this went on very sharp, turned musty and thick, and then was cloyingly sweet for hours.
I passed it on to a friend who took an immediate liking and it smells great on her: smooth and smoky with some incense hiding in the vanilla. I wish it smelled like that on me... Edited by hellok80

First thoughts were campfire smoke, incense, some warm and gentle spice, and amber, this isn't sweet like I expected. The vanilla creeps in slowly. Actually, Snake Oil smells exactly like L'Occitane's Amber solid home perfume cubes, which I had hanging from a pomander in my car for maybe 2-3 years (too bad they discontinued the solid perfumes, they all smelled so good and last forever!)

But because the scent remind me of my car and I kind of got sick of it after a while, I'm not sure I can wear this. I'll age my imp and check it out again in a few months to see if it changes a bit.

Edited by Drae

I avoided this scent for a long time, despite its popularity, because patchouli is not my friend. Not at all. But I got it as a frimp recently, so I decided to take the plunge.

In the vial: Incensey and a little sour. No sweetness, but also not giving me a headache so far.

On skin, wet: Less sour now, but even more incensey. Now it IS starting to give me a headache.

On skin, dry: Incense with a faint hint of vanilla.

After an hour: Still primarily incense, with just a touch of vanilla. I have a nasty headache, my eyes are burning, and I have the beginnings of a sore throat. Badness. So much badness. I was right the first time, patchouli is DEATH for me.

I agree completely with Drae -- this is so ambery/incensey/patchouli-y it may not smell just like her car, but like every car. I get a generic "car air freshener" scent off it. Smells exactly like a hippy shop. I didn't think I absorbed vanilla, so I'm not sure what's up.

This was the scent I was the most excited to try when I got my first BPAL order last week. I have never smelled a scent quite like it before!

In the bottle: Incense and a little bit of smokey vanilla (more like vanilla bean, wasn't a sweet vanilla smell to me), and a slight medincinal smell

Wet on skin: A lot of incense and a bit more vanilla now. And kind of a syrup/molasses sweetness starting to come out

Dry: A very pleasant sweet vanilla with some spice to it

My only complaint is I sometimes get that play-dough smell that a lot of people seem to get, but only when its wet. Then eventually it fades away leaving the vanilla and light spice that I love.

Really like this one, I think I will try aging it to see how it changes

Sweet, a bit powdery, incensy-spicy, exotic in a slightly headshop-ish sort of way. There's a bit of a bite to it that might be clove or one of the sharper incense resins. It has lasting power. It didn't smell as sultry as I expected, but that could either be body chemistry or the age of the blend - I've had the imp for about a month. With all I've heard about the wonders of aged Snake Oil, it'll be interesting to see what time will do.

I have heard so many lovely things about this!

In the imp: Oh lord, this is so pretty but so hard to describe. The only way I can put it is "the back of the Junkman's Daughter, except sexy". It's like sweet dark incense. Wow.

On me, wet: Okay, I think I've determined that literally nothing smells good on me when I first put it on. I have to give BPAL's stuff a chance to yell at me before it settles down and begrudgingly agrees that fine, it'll make me smell good. Right when I put it on, Snake Oil gets EXTREMELY angry and smells really sharp and biting and way too much like an incense store, which is not really what I was hoping to smell like. After it calms down a little bit, though...ooh. Ooooooooh. This is why everyone likes this so much. Hello there, vanilla, you were hiding out there with the spices! And the dark sharp incense smell learns to play well with others! Oh my. I like. I like very much.

On me, dry: Oh my god. I need this and every variant on it. The incense has completely stopped slapping the vanilla around, and is now just a really nice part of this blend that Best Friend informs me smells like "delicious vanilla candy".

I was so afraid this would go wonky on me, because almost all the "dark" blends seem to be doing that, but nope! It's a little more kind of bohemian or incensey than what I'd normally go for, but it's very pretty, and now I am definitely eyeing Womb Furie.

I don't know really what to think of Snake Oil. There's a lot of hype, and there's a certain silly part of me that's still fifteen and wants to dislike it because it's so popular. But I'm going to try and swallow that particular show of immaturity and give it a good go, because actually there's a very good chance that I will adore it. Vanilla? Incenseyness? Win! Time to open the imp.

My very first thought it that, rather than being something I've not tried yet, this smells familiar. Because this, right, is the smell of BPAL. It's the smell I get when I open my box of perfume. It's what the black velvet pouch I chuck into my bag full of imps when I go away anywhere smells of. It doesn't smell of anything specific that I can discern, but it's got that generic BPALy aroma that, let's face it, is hardly unpleasant — I actually find it quite comforting.

As soon as I put it on wet that narrows down a little into something that is more recognisably incense. It's not quite my favourite sort — Beth's ceremonial/churchy incense notes make my knees tremble with their awesomeness — but it's definitely rather nice. It's also warming up with such speed that I can literally smell it changing, sweetening, broadening, and the vanilla is now officially on its way out.

The next thing I can't help but notice is that this is powerful. Almost nothing has any real throw on me, so finding something that does it always a treat. This has wrapped me up in it good and close, and I'm pretty happy with that too. As the minutes pass, it's actually just getting yummier and yummier. If it stopped here and stayed like it all day, I'd probably join the Snake Oil Fan Club and start trying to bathe in the stuff. This feeling is only intensified as it turns into the exact smell of a proper hippy gothy shop. The exact smell. I love that smell.

And then, um. A weird thing starts happening. My neck starts to sting. I decide to ignore it because I'm not allergic to anything that I know of and it's only my neck, not any of the other places I've applied this.

That fades, thankfully, and doesn't come back. By the time I get into work the goth-shop-smell has sweetened into something much more vanillaey, and the two kind of play about with each other all day in an utterly delicious way. By the time I get home, I can still smell it — but more than that, it still has throw. I am amazed. Officially amazed.

I might have to hit up the Trading Post and buy myself Snake Oil everything. Damnit, I drank the kool-aid.

For a very long time I thought I didn't like Snake Oil. I ordered an imp with my very first lab order. It smelled ok, but ehhh, it was a little harsh, and it didn't smell particularly good on me, so I gave it to a friend and moved on to all of the things that did smell good on me. Then I got a free bottle from the lab a looooong time ago with the only ginormous order I've ever placed. I still didn't like it. It was too strong, too heady, still too harsh. I think I intended to give it to someone, but it went to the back of my drawer and I forgot about it. I found it by accident several years later. On a whim, I decided to see what age had done to it.

You can see where this is going, right?

:thud:

Aged Snake Oil . . . it might truly be the nectar of the gods. I immediately fell in love, no . . . I fell in lust. It really is like a totally different blend. It smells so much deeper, so much smoother, so complex. It smells like the best sex I ever had. It makes pretty boys nuzzle my neck and want to kiss me. It even looks different. Now it's all thick and dark and syrupy looking. I lack the ability to properly describe the intoxicating smell of aged Snake Oil, so basically this review is useless, other than to say that if you tried "fresh" snake oil and didn't like it, please, for your own sake, obtain some aged Snake Oil and give it another try.

After a few months of getting into BPAL I have finally tried Snake Oil!

It was spicier than I thought it would be. I'm sure this has Patchouli in it because that is the first thing that I could smell along with the spices. The dry down is warm and spicy but I really don't get much Vanilla from this, and it's not sweet on me like it is on other people. It's not what I would usually go for, but I like it and I think that it will grow on me more over time. It also fades pretty quick on me. I'm looking forward to seeing what this is like aged.

ETA: The more I wear this, the more that I love it. Definetly one for the bottle list :wub2:

Edited by becca_s

When I was little, I was raised a christian - I'm not a christian nowadays, but that's beside the point.

But - what I am about to write here might well be heresy, but I am not sure to who.

See, when I was little, everything in the bible seemed so...foreign and exotic and they had "harlots" that danced around in veils and stuff - fantastic for my imagination.

There was something that always caught my imagination though, for no obvious reason; the three wise men (which aren't actually ever stated to be three - and I believe they were kings really, but meh) I think the quote is like:

"On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped Him. Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh."

I had NO idea what any of this smelled like back then (well, not gold, of course ^_^) but to my mind it smelled like what I must admit Snake Oil smells like - so to me, it was a reunion with my imaginative younger self and the exotic dreams of foreign countries - I ordered a bottle straight up.

Snake Oil smells like mysticism and exotic and dancing with veils to me - absolutely magic :)

(and to think I thought I wouldn't like it...heh)

I've never reviewed this? :eek:

So: guess what? I'm a cliché. *shrug*

Snake Oil is my go-to BPAL. When I can't decide what to wear, I put on Snake Oil. When I'm going out for a drink and want to feel sexy and confident I put on Snake Oil. When I feel sad and crappy about myself I put on Snake Oil. If I have to face down somebody who intimidates me, I use TALs...and put on Snake Oil. Are you getting the picture? It's my comfort-food indulgence and it always gives me a lift when I put it on. I don't feel there's any occasion that is inappropriate for Snake Oil. I think it lends itself best to cooler weather, but even in the heat of summer I wait until nightfall when my bright and fizzy daytime scent has faded, and put on my Snake Oil.

I've received more compliments when wearing it than any other blend. Nothing else in the world smells like it.

It is my Holy Grail, found; my holy of holies, my One Oil To Rule Them All, my Precious.

I love the powdery quality of the scent (and it is NOT baby powder-powdery, it is simply dry.) It smells like exotic bazaars. It smells like one of those ancient European sections of the city with cobblestone streets and mysterious, narrow little side alleys full of secrets. It smells like sex in a sumptuously appointed tent in the desert.

If all other BPALs went *poof* overnight, I would miss all of those other scent journeys, but I could also live happily ever after with my Snake Oil.

Edited by OctoberGwen

i wasn't entirely sure if i would like this one when ordering it, but i had been told it was wonderful. i think i agree

in the imp - mmmm spicy vanilla

wet - exotic spices and incense smoke cant really smell the vanilla i know its there but its hard to pick it out

dry - this smells musky and sweet almost like a perfume that has been rubbed off on my skin instead of applying it

i think i will definatly be buying a big bottle its so sexy :D

Edited by Khaosangel

This is the oil that drew me to BPAL. The descriptions made me take a chance and I don't really ever do that on internet shopping. But I am so happy I did. This smells like, in my strange dream world, Stevie Nicks Ice Cream shop. She makes the best vanilla ice cream and waffle cones and her incense is wafting through the air. Gold Dust Woman is playing and we dance. I try not to go zombie on my arm cause it smells so good. I can't wait to order more!!!!!

Edited by opheliatrey

My favourite! Ok so I've only tested 6 imps but this is far and away my favourite one and I'm itching to get a bottle. It's just so sexy and delicious! While I was visiting my family, I put some on in my bedroom and my mother could smell it from the kitchen (she does have a good nose, to be fair). She wholeheartedly approved and demanded a bottle for her birthday which I, dutiful daughter that I am, will obligingly provide. A little begrudgingly, might I add, because I don't want anyone smelling as good as me ;) but hey, we don't live in the same country and I can't keep something this good to myself!

In the imp: I can't really describe it...it's a deep, thick, rich scent. You can smell the smooth vanilla but overall the scent is very exotic.

Wet: A bit spicy but still incensey, rounded out nicely by the vanilla

Drydown: A little bit powdery (in the nicest way) and still rich, deep and very sexy.

The Verdict: Best smell I've smelled thus far! 5/5 :wub2:

In the imp: Spices. Kind of warm, kind of soapy.

Wet: A pretty and somewhat syrupy spice cabinet kind of scent.

Dry: A very sweet and complex spiciness. I'm not entirely sure that it's 'me'... and yet there's something compelling about it, and I'll definitely be looking for a bottle. Another convert, I guess!

Delicious as this scent is, it isn't really "exceedingly sexual" on me. But I guess I've never worn it on a night out...

Initial thoughts: I've been into BPAL for over a year now and have so far managed to resist Snake Oil. I thought it would be too heavy, too incense-y, have too much throw, and be very much Not Me. But I got a frimp of it in my last Lab order and I've been skin testing everything that comes my way in an effort to break out of my BPAL comfort zone. So here goes!

Wet: Oof. It's kind of...medicinal smelling up close? It's not the play dough that others seem to smell. It just has a weird medicinal quality to it that kind of makes me curl my nose. But if I put my arm down at my side, I get wafts of the most amazing smelling sugared vanilla backed by an intoxication incense :eek:

Dry down: The medicinal smell is gone, and I'm left with this amazing, sexy, naughty smell. It is strong though. I put just a drop on, and my mother is walking through the kitchen going "Who smells amazing? Seriously, what is that perfume and can I have some?"

Dry: So. Freaking. GOOD! :thud:

Final thoughts: Snake Oil is crazy long lasting on me (7 hours before I had to really try to smell it) and when I ran out into this beastly heat to get dinner it just blossomed. It became stronger and even more intoxicating (seriously, I had two grocery store clerks ask me what on earth my perfume was). I can completely understand the hype about this one, and am only sad that it took me this long to try it!

Verdict: I'll be ordering 2 bottles in my next lab order (one to wear now and one to age because I can only imagine how crazy good this will smell in a year).

A very sweet forumite took pity on me when I mentioned that I had never tried Snake Oil, and sent me a well-aged decant.

I found out extremely quickly that a tiny, tiny bit goes a long, long, way!

On me, Snake Oil lives up to the love it gets. Sweet, dark, spicy, amber-y incense.

I wore it for several hours yesterday and it dries down to spicy amber on my skin, which is delicious. The first hour or so, though, it's pretty strong, no matter how little I dab on. I do love the wafts of scent I get every time I move my arms, though.

I don't see this being an every day scent for me, I prefer something lighter during the day. But for evenings when I want to feel like a dark enchantress - this will be my go-to.

I can also see where this gets the love when layered with O. I'm going to try that, though I'm afraid the honey in O may tip it to the "too sweet" side.

I got this in a swap. I was so excited because I have been dying to try it out, and wanted to love it so much. Sadly, I couldn't even tell what it smelled like. Everytime I tried to take a sniff I sneezed. I put it on anyways, but could not stop sneezing until I washed it off. Guess I'm allergic :( off to swaps.

FINALLY got around to buying a bottle of this fabulous stuff.

I have like every bottle of a SO blend, but not SO it's self.

It has this smooth quality that is sultry and sexy without trying too hard. It's not in your face, or throwing it's self across the room. It just lingers gently and hugs.

If I sniff my wrist very closely it smells just a tiny bit plastic like, but that's not what it actually smells like on. I have to sniff pretty deep to find that chapstic plastic smell.

Rich vanilla spiced with beautiful spices and smooth oils wrap and lay about you, smoldering slightly, as if to say beckoning with just one crooked finger.

I got this as a frimp a year or so ago. I didn't care for it because it smelled like nagchampa which I hate. I washed it off rather promptly.

After reading a thread about it yesterday I decided to try it again today. I agree that wet it smells very "head shop".

Dried down for an hour or two I am really getting a spicy vanilla and I like it a lot. This is a scent I think will smell different depending on various factors. Today it's lovely. It might be worth a bottle later. I want to see if it has any sex appeal for my husband first.

:blink:

Ok, I've been wanting to try Snake Oil for years but didn't because of all the hype, yeah, if everyone else likes it, usually, I am determined to not like it AND because a lot of reviews said it was very head shop-y. I couldn't be further from a head shop scent wearing kind of gal. Oh, and I hate patchouli.

Luckily, the Lab decided to make the decision for me and sent me a frimp of it.

Again, :blink: .

Um... is the perfume equivalent of crack in this? Because I cannot stop wearing this stuff. I can see why it may be a bit head shop to some, but I think the vanilla kind of keeps that in check for me. I also cannot smell patchouli. Either I've become scent blind to patchouli or it isn't making an appearance for me. I get a bit of the incense-y smell but to me, it's mostly an exotic, sweet smell. I can't really define it, it just smells GOOD. So good, so delicious. I can't stop smelling my arms and hair when I put it on. Mysterious, magnetic and sexy? Yes, oh yes oh yes!

And the throw and lasting power is incredible. I wore it to a tattoo appointment today. I sweat like you would not believe during a tattoo session - so I've been on a train to London, walking around London (which to me smells of car exhaust and it sticks to ya), got a portion added to my tattoo sleeve, back on the train, walked the dog and now home and it stills smells amazing and has hardly faded.

I can't believe I'm a Snake Oil convert!! Well, actually, now that I've smelled it, yes, I can. It's so freaking gorgeous. ^_^ Now I understand the hype... I just can't believe I've been missing out for so long!