Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

It has taken me almost 2.5 years to develop a love for Snake Oil. It all started w/ Experimental Blend #1, which I love. Then I discovered Snake Charmer which I loved even more! After that, I figured, what the hell, might as well try Snake Oil. And I love it, too! It's strong and it makes me feel sexy and in control when I wear it.

And I know this is terrible to admit, but when I have business meetings with a certain accountant I dislike, I wear Snake Charmer and rub my wrist on his drinking glass. At least if I can't charm him, I bother him!

I've recently realised that Beth's vanilla and I don't get along at all, and unfortunately, Snake Oil...doesn't work on me. It smells like...well, somewhere between smelly old man perfume (and I know of whence I speak!) and AXE body spray. Really. (Both of which, and this, give me a ginormous headache.)

It's way to strong on me. (I envy you lovely people who get a great scent out of this.)

Edited 1/19 because I rambled.

Edited by Evelien

A brand new imp of Snake Oil. I love vanilla, but I'm aware that this is supposed to be much better with age, so I'm not going to let myself be too disappointed if it doesn't work out the first time.

In the bottle, smells like vanilla incense while drinking coke. There's just this sharpness that reminds me of cola type sodas. Same thing on the wrists wet.

Just seems to get warmer on the drydown, and the coke 'note' is milder. Lovely, but not something particularly distinctive.

The spiciness of the Snake Oil has increased over the last half hour since I put it on. I'm still liking it, but not loving it. I'd much rather have Bewitched, which is doing it's second run on my inner elbow. (As you can probably tell, I like foody scents. But, I don't want to smell like a food. I just love sweetness and warmth and yumminess, I don't want to smell... tasty. XD I'm already bite-sized, I don't want to tempt anyone!)

The sharpness is back, full-force. Less coke-like now, much more spicy.

Not sure how much longer it's been. O hai thar Vanilla Coke. How I have missed you over the years. You're very tasty, but I don't want to smell like you.

All the incensey notes have died down. It's Vanilla Coke, heavy on the vanilla. Is it my nose or my chemistry that's weird? I did get a bit of a coke note at first, but this is just overwhelmingly so.

My mom smelled it after I mentioned it, but it wasn't her first thought.

Verdict: Confusing. But I'll try it again in a couple months.

I bought an imp of this with my first order from BPAL, but have been doing a blind reach for scents every day, so only just got to Snake Oil today.

In the imp: Lovely amber colour. The consistency is definitely striking in comparison to other oils I've tried so far; it's incredibly viscous, but it warms quickly in the palm of my hand. The scent is sharp biting vanilla, spices, and something that's acting like straight-up pheromones, because-- :eek:

Wet on skin: (--and it does stay wet on my skin for a decent length of time) I'm getting what others were saying about Vanilla Coke, but also something ... green? It's like Vanilla Coke and fresh-cut grass.

Dry on skin: The grassy side dissipates, and it's more like woodsy vanilla and incense on my wrists. Different parts of my skin are reacting differently, though; I'm getting nothing but sugared vanilla from the oil dabbed on my collar and cleavage. Huh.

This is quite sensual as it is (a new imp), but I'm interested in seeing how it ages, based on others' reviews.

In the vial: Sweet, Spicy, Exotic Blend. Smells very nice.

Wet: Spicy, soapy with a touch of powder.

Drydown: Spicy, powdery and I get a faint bit of incense underneath...

Overall: Hmm, I will definitely get it to age before trying it again. Right now it just smells like powder.

I got my first bottle of Snake Oil today. I went straight for the 5ml, based on reviews, and I'm so glad that I did.

When I first put it on, something in it reminded me immediately of Death of Autumn, and my heart just sank. But I waited...

Happily, about 5 minutes later, it smoothes out to what I had hoped DoA would, and the lovely vanilla/incense/spice comes out for me! *hugs bottle* I'm curious to see how this ages, because I love it now!

Brand new imp of Snake Oil arrived yesterday, along with 9 other imps. :D

I had high hopes for Snake Oil, based on it's popularity--but I'm not impressed. I smell incense and very little vanilla. With all the love for this scent I expected more....... well, more love from me. Alas, I'll put this in the back of my collection to age and try it again in a couple of months.

Oh dear. Tried some fresh-from-the-lab Snake Oil, and it didn't go well. In fact, I scored the dreaded trifecta: Just on, I got Play Doh. Ten minutes later, a co-worker added, "And baby powder." The sweetness faded on drydown, prompting another co-worker to comment it had turned into "dirty hippie."

Back in the box for some aging...

ETA: Aaaaaand I'm back. It's been aged for ten weeks or so....not a long time in the grand scheme of things, but it was enough to make a difference. The oil has gotten quite viscous. What a change in the scent! No more dirty hippie or Play Doh. Powder-y and vanilla-y and very, very sweet. Just enough spice is left to keep it from being catastrophically cloying, i.e. I considered washing it off, but I didn't need to wash it off. Still not a fan, but I'm pleased with the progress from the first time around. Will try it again in a few months.

(For full disclosure, my skin chem seems kind of off right now, so this could be part of the problem. Same too sweet issue struck with my beloved O. *sniffle*)

Edited by TheLetterL

Weeeellll, so far it has a chemical overtone. That fades as it dries down, and it is very nice. I can see the appeal, but Snake Charmer and Phallus work much better on me.

standard disclaimer: i tested a lab-fresh imp. i totally plan to age it.

what sorta worries me is that the bit that splashed onto the outside of the imp smells like a lovely, rich incense.... as if the batch i have is already nice smelling, and what it does on my skin is the problem factor.

what it does on my skin: 1 - bitter, medicinal spices. 's ok. i was warned. 2 - after several hours - softly vanilla, spices are sweeter. the phase that hints that better days may be yet to come. (the drop in the hollow of my throat is definitely lasting longer in this phase, even after the half-drop on each wrist goes on to stage 3.) 3 - after a few more hours - faint, and what's left on my wrists is... the dreaded vanilla play-doh.

smell ya later, S.O.

Oh, Snake Oil... I covet you so, but ours is a complicated relationship...

Fresh Snake Oil is a problem for me. It has a very distinct plastic note to it. Which, in fairness, I've tried to ignore a million times over, because it's Snake Oil... But realistically, what's the point of wearing a perfume if you can't love it wholly, right?

Aged, however, is another story entirely. Today I'm wearing from an imp that is probably about two years old. The color of the oil is a gorgeous thing, the color of really rich cherry wood -- you know, the furniture that you pay a mint for. It's also incredibly viscious. I know that all of the oils are just that, oils, but with Snake Oil you don't doubt that for a moment. Hell, the consistency is more like sludge when you let the stuff age! Turning the imp to one side doesn't see the perfume sloshing about, but rather slowly creeping its way along. I received an even older imp from a generous friend -- from '04, I think -- and that stuff practically needs to be pried out with a spoon.

So with that said, obviously Snake Oil is more about the smell. It's a larger experience than that thanks to all the hype (most of it more than justified). :)

From the imp, aged snake oil is rich and resinous sweetness. In my mind it smells like really dark amber -- the resin in appearance, not the actual scent used for the perfume -- and I imagine something silly from Jurassic Park where this tree sap oozes over a gigantic bug and turns into a beautiful stone. Applied I lose a bit of the smokiness which is found in the imp, but I'm also free of that damn plastic smell.

Unfortunately, I turn most all BPAL blends into vanilla after extended wear, and since there is vanilla in Snake Oil, that's kind of inevitable. It wears long, though -- I applied moderately around 7AM today, and almost four hours later I can still get the occasional waft. This is the kind of perfume I want to wear generous amounts of when I go out on the prowl. It's a scent that is powerful, and makes you feel emboldened. Frankly, it's a sex scent. It's something to wear when you plan on fucking as opposed to making love. Dark and heady, it's low-lit rooms, clutching at the sheets, telling your partner what you want and otherwise being in control of the situation.

I don't get much incense, because I don't get much smoke. I know there are spices, but they aren't spicy, if that makes sense. The impression I walk away from after a few hours of wear is vanilla and spices steeped in oil for a short lifetime -- long enough so that the finished product is that beautiful color, the incredible viscosity. I have a bitch and a half of a time figuring out exactly what the notes are, but I don't have the most well-trained nose, either. All I know is that this is an amazing scent that would be on my favorites list if it wasn't quite so sweet (and I'm willing to blame that on my vanilla-loving skin chemistry rather than the Lab's blend). This is what I fancy women in control should wear, women who want to make and break and feel confident while they do so.

I bought a bottle specifically to age, and an imp to fool around with in the meantime. :) I just got it today, so this is a fresh-from-the-mailbox imp:

I would have sworn I smelled patchouli with a bit of a cedary note in it at first...then it got a lot sweeter. It's currently somewhere between Vanilla Coke and play-doh...it's sweet, without being outright plasticky. I don't find it unpleasant, however. To me it's fine where it is, so I'm intrigued as to what it will smell like over time.

I'll try to add to this as I experiment with it more.

Edited by Argentwolf

My imp of Snake Oil is aged, so it carries a deeper scent. This is sexy, spicy vanilla... reminds me quite a bit of Tombstone with a bite to it!

Nah, doesn't work. Goes on strrrrong, almost overpowering. It settles down a bit, but the spices have a note I don't like and they are hella dry/dusty, in a breathing dust into your face and coughing and hacking. The spices fade a bit and the sweet and vanilla poke out, but then it's more like a "sexy" scent for someone a bit older than me. My roommate loves this on herself, my coworker said it (on me) reminded her of babies.

Um, if this just gets better with age....I am SO in trouble. If I had the funds, I would totally buy up a few bottles and hide them away for a few years. I'd love to try it aged since everyone raves about it....But, right now, I'm in love with FRESH Snake Oil.

In the imp, I liked it, but I wasn't sure I would LOVE it. There was one spice that I can't identify...it smelled like strong sage poking out. I thought that it might ruin things. I put it on, and it was pretty strong. LIKE it, but don't love it.

Five minutes later, it's turned into this gorgeous and feminine musky vanilla but with a REALLY sexy bite to it! The spices are now absolutely PERFECT.

This becomes so addicting that I can't keep my nose from my wrist. It also makes me sexually aroused. And the boy loves vanilla and spices ;)

Also, this has the potential of lasting for, like, EVER. I can put it on early in the morning and it's still going pretty strong with decent throw at 10pm at night!

ETA - Because I can't spell at 3am! And I've probably still missed something!

Edited by chimera87

I blindly bought a bottle of Snake Oil with my first order because I read that it was the most popular, and I absolutely love vanilla, resins, and spices.

The first time I tried it I didn't think it was anything special.

It's been a couple months though and I think it is my favorite BPAL now. It lasts the longest.. seriously 12+ hours, and it smells like deep, sweet, vanilla incense. I don't get any of the spices though which people have mentioned. On me it is not spicy at all, just really smooth and deep and dark and sweet and resinous.

Oh my me. Oh goodness. Oh. So I'm not sure how aged the tester bottle at the Whole Foods in Raleigh was, but my thought now is, "How do I get more of this?" I *adore* this. It might become my signature scent (yeah, I know, me and about a hundred other folks around here). But first I'm going to get a lab-fresh imp and see how that treats me.

Snake Oil is that beautiful girl/boy who doesn't acknowledge you and makes you wait at the edges of the school hall for them to come round to you.

Snake Oil was dismissive at first, harsh even. She mocked me with patchouli. I watched her, sitting on the window sill, growing darker and more languid. Every month I took her out. Sometimes she flashed me a vanilla smile and my heart clenched but then it was back to bitter laughter and powdered pills that stuck in my throat. What made it worse was smelling her on others. Sweet, undulating, convivial; putting out. But never for me.

Until today.

She loves me!

I took her out on my arm and she is a woman who has matured into a kind, commanding sexmonger. So sometimes there are flashes of condom, but that's okay, the moments passes and she's back to smelling of rich vanilla and snake smooth spices.

BPAL has taught me patience. Now I only have to wait 19 months for the bottles I'm about to order to mature.

In the bottle, this smells like fruit syrup to me, a smell I do not particularly like.

On the skin the first time, it threw a spicy smell, but as soon as I put nose to wrist, I got that plastic, syrup, fake fruit smell. Yarf.

On the second try, hoping for better results, the plastic syrup smell was overwhelming and I resisted about 9 minutes before I had to wash, wash, wash it off.

My go-to sexy syrup scent is still Blood Kiss - its reign continues unblemished.

(ETA: I can't type right)

Edited by VeronikaGalt

At first I was scared to try Snake Oil. It sounded so perfect! The reviews were great, but what if I hated it? I bought an aged imp off someone to try. Yummy! So glad I tried it aged! It smelled all sweet and cedar-y and incense and vanilla, and tobacco and almond. All the notes I love.

When I bought my first bottle from the lab, I thought "oh no, what if I don't like it fresh?' Well, I happen to LOVE it fresh AND aged! I've almost finished a bottle, and now know how it feels to want to buy and hoard! I want to buy 4 bottles just so I can use daily and have some to age! Wish my bank account agreed....

hmm - this was the scent that Tramp kept wearing & making me sniff her (orange) wrists. :lol: At first I was put off, then I got some of my own. Its sultry & soft, wanton yet subtle - a delicious combination of notes. It's lovely when mixed with others - my ultimate favorite derivant is Lilith Victoria! It's also always a perfect scent to reach for during RMW. ;)

Edited by GardenCat

At first it was a nice deep vanilla and incense, with a hint if musk, then after about 20 minutes it went all powder on me. Not baby powder but something more like an after shower powder my grandparents use to use.

Definitely not for me.

I got from a lovely girl off the forum a 2 year aged decant of snake oil, i tried it and was a little unshure if i would love it as a lot of people do.

I thought i just order a imp from BPAL to test it when it's fresh well I LOVE IT ^^ i just got my bottle in and wear it very often :D

The Fresh version is a little more vanilla to me and less strong then the aged one but i both love them :wub2:

Will get multiple bottles of this love

In bottle: Woody with an edge of vanilla

On me, wet: Head shop smell – incensey, woody, warm.

On me, drying: It has developed that now-familiar cloying sharp-sweetness. I don’t know what note or notes are to blame, but bleh.

Verdict: Wasn’t digging it. Washed it off.

First thing I thought when I put it on was that it smelled like I had just entered a head shop. Dry down didn't help--still smells like incense, just much much stronger incense. Definitely not my taste, but I'll let it age and try again later.

Edit: Tried again, and victory! My body usually amps vanilla, which is why I was rather surprised Snake Oil didn't work on me the first time...but, have given it two more chances (wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke before I updated), and Snake Oil has turned from incense to a warm spicy vanilla. Definitely something I will wear now. I am glad I tried again...was so disappointed after all the wonderful reviews that this one didn't work on me.

Edited by annanwater