Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

Powdered sugar, bourbon vanilla (the smoky note), and unknown spices. A great combination, as I fall into the categories of "edible" and "exotic" at the same time when wearing this one.

Everyone in the office knows how I love things that smell good, and they often ask for samples of what I'm wearing - but this is the first time that every one of my co-workers wanted to try the same scent!

This one is goreous! Just totally sexy. I love the vanilla and the spiciness of it. I also smell something a bit woodsy...

Jenny

I can see why there are so many rave reviews of this one, but it is a little too sweet and smooth to me. Then again, I don't suit vanilla as a scent! I do love that spicy depth to it, but it's not one I think I'll be using much of.

Then again, I think it might be one that grows...it would be gorgeous added to a carrier oil for massaging.

My second BPAL review, as I just got my first shipment of MANY Imp's Ears today and am trying two per day as to not overwhelm my nose.

I ordered this one thinking it couldn't possibly be as great as everybody said it was. Geez, was I wrong. This is GORGEOUS. Softly exotic, sexy, nice staying power (I have problems holding scents). I can't stop smelling my arm. Very subtly vanilla-y, with a lovely richness from the soft exotic spices.

Amazing out of the bottle and on. Reminds me of an incense Spencer Gifts used to carry called "Perfume from Ancient Lands". Exotic and soft. I had two different men tell me that although it was a nice scent it was a little too incensy for a perfume. Bah, who listens to men anyway!

ADDED March 15:

Heres the magic of Snake Oil...today, my boss who thought that it was a little too incensy before stood next to me and said OH, you smell GOOD.

I am definately buying a big bottle of this....I love it more and more each time I wear it

Edited by Shollin

This is the first scent I tried out of my Imp's Ears - wow! Very unique - On me, it was almost all exotic spices, and the vanilla didn't creep into until later, and then it wasn't cloyingly sweet at ALL, unlike most vanillas. I felt slinky and exotic all day.

First sniff: this is EXACTLY like the drydown of Vixen

When wearing: it still is very similar to Vixen (well, with my body chemistry anyway) but it's sharper (the smoke smell) and sweeter (vanilla) at the same time. Vixen turns very round on my body, Snake Oil is a bit more aggressive. I'm not too sure about it yet.

Initial Sniff: This is different from any vanilla I've ever smelled. Deliciously spicy and sweet - very food-y.

Wearing: Unfortunately, the sweetness of the vanilla really comes forward on my skin, which I don't really like. I smell like a sugar cookie. It also turns a bit powdery on me, which I also don't like. Drat!!! I wanted to like this one SO much!

Final Impressions: This is the first BPAL I've gotten a comment from a stranger about - the woman at the McDonald's drive-thru asked if I had a baby powder air freshener or if I had spilled baby powder in my car. Ummm... no. It's Snake Oil. :P

edited to add - I have been burning this in my living room all evening and my house smells DIVINE! I will probably buy a bigger bottle for this purpose alone!

Edited by paperdoll

wow, the longer I wear this the more I like it. When I first sniffed it in the bottle I was a little unimpressed. it was not at all what I expected. When I applied it at first all it smelled like was kinda smoky insense, but now, a couple hours later it smells great! still insensy, but the vanilla is coming out, so its a sweet insence smell. perfectly balanced on me, not too much insense or too much vanilla. Now I am very impressed!

:P

I've worn this scent a few times now, and my opinion of it seems to change each time. The first wearing was while I was baking a white cake for work (Cherry Jello cake for Valentine's day party! Yum yum. ) and I was struck by how much the Snake Oil smelled like white cake when it is just about done baking, but still a little runny in the middle. I am not one for really food-y scents, so I thought that this wasn't for me. Since then, I have worn it to work and bowling, as well. At work, it seemed to be more amber-y, more spicy. It didn't begin to smell like cake until well after noon, which was fine with me, since by then the smell had lightened considerably. In the bowling alley, Snake Oil became really spicy, hardly vanilla at all. It's truly a changeable perfume, one that works with not only your chemistry at different times of the month, but your surroundings, too!

This is the first scent I tried out of my Imp's Ears <snip> it wasn't cloyingly sweet at ALL, unlike most vanillas.

Oddly enough, Snake Oil was also the first Ear I tried from my order (in fact, it wasn't part of my order but one Elizabeth included). I was so excited because I'd heard so much about this one and was going to order an Ear next time around just to see what the fuss was about.

Well, I think the fuss is entirely warranted! In the vial, Snake Oil smells very spicy to me, but warm spices, not sharp or pungent. On my skin the vanilla almost literally explodes but it is such a beautiful, soft, sweet smell that I fell in love with it immediately. I had never been a fan of vanilla - I had always thought it to be far too sugary sweet, and thickly cloying - it made my teeth ache, to be honest, because it came across so sweet.

But clearly this is the difference between crappy, fake chemically manufactured vanilla and, you know, what it's *actually* supposed to smell like! :P

On the drydown the vanilla stays on top for quite awhile. Eventually the spices emerge and mix beautifully with the vanilla, giving it a lovely powdery smell.

Overall, this scent is very feminine, very pretty and very sexy. It's a wonderful warm scent, perfect for cool fall days and those long, gray, cold days of winter. I felt very cozy and content wearing this, like being wrapped up in a quilt in front of a fire. It's not a heavy scent but it's not something I would wear in the summer - vanilla is still a bit of a thicker scent than others so for summer I would rather wear something lighter and more airy. But Snake Oil is definitely a great daily wear scent.

I'd love to smell this on a guy - I think vanilla is a fabulous sensual scent and would be just amazing on men, particularly in this case where it is warmed by the spices.

The vanilla shines thru on me. I smell other things blended in but on the whole the vanilla is prominent. I like this one alot and think that I will wear it often during the summer!

Only perfume I've been complimented on (and by a non-complimenting friend, too!).

Vanilla and golden syrup with woodsmoke wafting on top.

Long-lasting and unchanging from application until next day.

This is great, but depending on mood can be a bit cloying on me. I've recently found that I like it better when it's tempered with Loup Garou, which evens out the sweetness of the vanilla and makes the woodsmoke aspect stronger.

Edited by ladylatemar

I finally dare to review this ´holy grail´

I ordered a 5 ml just by the reviews and no regret, this stuff is heaven!

If it´s sexy you ask? To me not really, just yummie but my BF is calling me Sweet Skin as a nickname ever since, and he likes to smell me and being close to him, so in that way, yes it´s sexy!

One of my colleques made a remark what describes the scent (at least for the Dutchies/Lushies/Swappies) he said ´hmmmm it smells like Stoopwafels in here´ when he came in my office. :P

For those who don´t know stroopwafels, Its two thin waffles with a caramel like layer in the middle.

They smell spicy sweet when warm.

Snake Oil is a 10/10

ETA: a little dab in your hair last for ages and goes amazingly well with Lush American cream.

Edited by quinkel

SNAKE OIL

Initial: Caramel? Vanilla? And baby powder. Warm and deep.

During: Wow. I’m intrigued. I don’t even know if I like it, yet I can’t stop sniffing it. I smell baby powder but all grown up. I smell caramel though I know that is not in there. Its warm and spicy and I see candlelight. Dim. Nighttime. Tiger print on the bed and red velvet blankets. Half empty bottle of wine and a wine glass on the dresser. A half eaten spiced honey cake laying nearby.

Final: This is a confusing scent. I love it and hate it. It’s thick and dangerous. It’s thick and comforting. It draws me and repels me. I want to put this on at night and go out to a bar. Addictive. I guess I’ll keep this one. And I'll try it one more time. Or 1000 more times.

Lasting value: It didn’t last too long on me though.

When I got my first order and was smelling all of the bottles, I accidentally got a little snake oil on my finger and even though I was only trying out Persephone on my skin, I decided to try Snake Oil on the other wrist.

Can I just say that I love this already? I can smell the vanilla, but it's not too sweet. There's something underlying that prevents this.

I'm already making my next order up and I think I will need a bigger bottle of this!

Though I don't get comments, I feel worlds more confident and so much less uptight when I wear Snake Oil. Smoky vanilla with spices - friendly but slightly mysterious. It lasts, too. I put a little on my hair when I went out last night, and its still there. Pleasantly so. This is going to be good for the upcoming warm summer nights.

Mmm Vanilla and heat, what more can I say that hasnt been said already?

I still have my sample from my first order, though I don't classify snake oil as an everyday scent.(bought october 03') I am wearing it today to go out and wow some folks. Get a few compliments and hopefully my ideas will be a success. This is so strong and sensual, my mom who loathes all perfume even commented on how I smell good. This is an all around satisfying blend. I will be buying a bigger bottle once this lil sample runs out. (which is soon unfortunatley)

I SOOOO wanted to love Snake Oil!

However, it just does not jibe with my body chemistry, apparently. I was afraid this would happen. On me it smells like a one of those designer imposter versions of Calvin Klein's Obsession.

BUT...I put a dab of it on a "dead" car air freshener and Gee, my car smells terrific! :P

Edited by Scylla

This is my first review, so bear with me if it's a little weak! There is simply nothing I can say about Snake Oil that hasn't been said before. It is my favorite perfume, and along with Queen Mab and Sin are part of the triumverate of oils I first purcahsed from my now-beloved BPAL. You never forget your first time, right? Snake Oil was the first scent I sampled from the batch of bottles and imps that I purcahsed, and I almost swooned in sheer olfactory lust! It is a warm, sensual blend both wet and dry, and has become an invaluable part of my dating artillery. In the month that I have been wearing it, I have gotten infinitely more attention from the opposite sex. Perhaps its the scent itself working its magick, or perhaps its because the warm, spicy sweetness of the blend makes me feel sexier and more confident, so I act sexier and more confident. Either way, this is the "on the prowl" scent I'm going to stick with, and I credit it with thrusting me out of my post-miserable relationship single slump!

Thrusting! Great word to use in any description of this goddamn sexy scent!

Initial sniff: Whoa. No. Incense-y woodsy. Not my thing at all.

Wearing: Still no go. I couldn't detect the vanilla, although it may have been what was tempering the incense smell and keeping it from going all-out Buddhist temple on me.

I've tried this several times after and I still don't like it. Although, the next couple of times I opened it to smell it, it has a bit of a Coca-Cola smell to it, which I sort of liked. But it still dries down to incense on me. I don't really feel more confident or sexy when I wear it.

I just layered Dana O'Shee over it and I like it. Dana mellows out and brings out the vanilla of Snake Oil, so that it's less incense-y.

Edit: Now, I realize there are two versions of Snake Oil on me. There's the weird dry-smokey-incense that I'm not so fond of, and the spices-with-a-little-vanilla that I like and that everyone else gets. I'm not sure what makes Snake Oil go one way or another. The version I like is something that doesn't seem to appeal to me, yet I'm always sniffing my wrists. I got a compliment on it. When I was in my friend's car, and a friend got in after me, she said, "Jennifer's car smells good." I said, "Really?" because it didn't really smell all that great, and then she said, "Oh, it might be someone" and that it smelled like baby powder. It isn't the most ideal of compliments (baby powder...being mistaken for the smell of a car...), but it's a compliment nonetheless.

Edited by malanna

It's truly a changeable perfume, one that works with not only your chemistry at different times of the month, but your surroundings, too!

I've found this to be sadly true ... The first time I wore Snake Oil, I instantly fell in love. Vanilla & spices, blended to perfection - I smelled intriguing & mysterious, sultry & edible at the same time. My guy friend complimented me on how my new perfume seemed to perfectly fit my personality & smelled delicious.

Then. I put it on as I was dashing out the door to work, & thought something smelled different, but couldn't say what till I got there, & a coworker said, "You smell like a baby." I suppose there are worse things, but so not what I was going for. Further sniffing of my wrists confirmed my growing suspicion that I smelled like Play-Doh. Great sadness. Stupid body chemistry! :P

Still love the way it smells in the bottle, but am kind of afraid to wear it now. When it's on, it's worth the gamble though.

Edited by bluemockingbird

Ah, the fabled Snake Oil... Vanilla, yes, but not foody, and not the vanilla I smell when cutting open a vanilla pod or opening a bottle of vanilla extract. Perhaps this is the "bourbon vanilla" that jj_j mentioned? I cannot distinguish any of the spices, but they are there, exotic, warming the vanilla and lending it interest. It does not throw for me much at all--it's a very quiet scent, laying close to my skin, blending with it really. It becomes something of a sweet, vanilla version of my skin. For me it's not sexual per se, more sensual and comforting. I imagine that my sweetie will like it on me--I am flying back for a long over due visit this weekend, so I will test it out on him then. The longer I wear this the better I like it--it's growing on me. I will wear it on quiet, knowing days, cool evenings, when I feel enigmatic or in need of comfort. I may need to order a 5ml soon on account of the liberality with which i must apply it to get any sort of aura around my body.

Given the difference that chemistry can make, I will update it this changes on me. It lasts well

Gogeous. Seet and musky in the bottle. Joskarith describes the scent on me as 'deliciously musky'- not overpowering as some musk/vanilla scents can be, just sweet, and spicy and beautifully sesual. A very soft musk that pefumes skin brilliantly and lasts for hours- I put some on at midday, it's no nine o clock 9england time) and I still catch whispers of the delicious scent.

Go for it. Joskarith has been all over me today, I can't seem to stop random men giving me lascivious looks. It is worh the cost.

At first: cold, and almost medicinal.

Later: warmer, with vanilla and spices, but still with a slight medicinal note and a slight sharpness. Not for me. Poop.