Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Coral Snake (2006)

Snake Oil with blood orange, red apple, lemon peel, plumeria, and gardenia.

Almost peachy, snake oil not prominent. Smells like a sophisticated version of Diary TLC. Really nice, bright and fruity snake. Like this a lot and would be a great scent to enable people on.

I get a strong apple start, then it dries to a sweet fruit with a floral twinge. It screams femininity to me. A bright and happy scent :P

My first review! :D

I just received a bottle of this in the mail and it made me remember why I love this scent so. :D Wet, this oil just SCREAMS apple, which is one of my favorite notes. Dry, it's difficult to pin down any of the notes besides the very sweet, tart apple and the mellowness of the snake oil…but there is definitely more to it and it all just blends together very nicely. As it morphs, the apple doesn’t disappear as much as…meld with the other notes, until it’s almost like I’m smelling a delicious seeping apple tea. It's very bright, but relaxing at the same time. I’m very curious to see how this will smell as the snake oil ages, but in the meantime I am enjoying my apple tea very much~ :P

I'm not much one for fruity scents, but this blends o so beautifully with everything else. When I first opened the imp, yes, there are the apples, but once everything dried and settled, there is this most amazing spicy note to it. I don't recall any spice in the description, but damned if I don't smell (I think it's ) cinnamon!! Maybe it's the floral that I smell as spice, I don't smell the orange at all. Great snake! I thought it would be a spring/summery snake because of the florals and fruit, but I think it's more of a late summer/early fall kind of scent for me. Damn I'm loving the snakes!

In bottle/imp: Spicy, crisp apple.

Immediately on skin: Spicy apples with a touch of sweet flowers.

After a few minutes: This is a beautiful scent on me. It’s very sweet and the apple has toned down a little, but it’s still fruity and the plumeria is coming through. It’s a bright, cheerful snake oil.

Later on: The spiced apple scent is still there, blending with light Snake Oil. It would be a great Autumn scent in my opinion too.

Wet, on me, I thought I smelled cinnamon? I don't see that in the scent notes, though. I do smell the apple.

Dry, more apple...a hint of lemon peel and light flowers. I suppose the Snake Oil spices may be making me think cinnamon, still.

This one is nice, though, like a few of the other snakes it doesn't seem as powerful as Snake Oil itself on me. Maybe it needs aging for that though. =)

Oh yum.

I LOVE this scent. I think it's mostly due to the apple (which is a favorite scent of mine), but it's not overpowering, like it can be in the Norn's Farmhouse (dusty woody apples, anyone?). It blends very nicely with the orange and lemon. I don't particularly smell the florals in this.

Definitely worth a bottle.

In the Bottle: Wet Apples

Wet: Cinnamon, which surprised me because my tried it an it smelled strongly of apple, but on me it was spicy cinnamon, what really surprised me was that this cinnamon did not lead to sneezing or a headache for me. Usually I avoid cinnamon scented things like the plague, as they're basically just migraines in a bottle for me.

Dry: Still cinnamon, but apple is starting to push through and maybe a but of the flowers.

Verdict: Doesn't work with my skin :P The cinnamon remains the top note. I'll give it some more time but this will probably end up as a swap.

I'm in love with this blend. If I concentrate, I can tell it is apples, but honestly it registers as midway between some lucious berry and a peach for me. Plus, it doesn't have the cloying quality of Snake Oil. I can slather this and still be in the same room with myself. Other people think of it as autumnal, but to me it seems like the ripest, juiciest laziest late summer afternoon ever. Sigh. :P

And, it's aging quite well. I think it's better now at 2 months old than it was fresh.

It makes me sad that the Snake Pit is going to slither off to oblivion. I really wish the Pit could become GC.

ETA: after several months, the apple really comes out, no more peachy/berries. It's still wonderful. Swoon

Edited by Hoyden

in the imp: heavy apple, some gardenia, no trace of Snake Oil.

wet on skin: the apple starts to recede a bit, but the gardenia comes in strong to pick up the slack.

dry down: full on gardenia.

in all: the Snake Oil never shows itself in this particular blend on me. in Boomslang- yes. In Australian Copperhead it goes on for DAYS, even after showering. but this, this is pure, sweet gardenia, with a trace of that apple. nothing more. for me, i'll stick to Unheavenly City for such things, but it was still fun to try this.

:P

Bright and fruity apple when wet.

Then it turns into a spicy apple with vanilla. But not too much like baked apple, jucier. The description sounds tropical and fruity but Coral snake turned into a christmas scent for me. :P

When it's wet it just smells like cinnamon. Plain cinnamon. But when it's dry the cinnamon tones down and reveals a slightly spicy apple with a hint of something floral. Definitely a gorgeous autumn scent :P

Coral Snake is the scent of a cabana boy painting coral nail polish on the toes of a woman of a certain age, who is drinking rum on the beach of hawaii and recalling with fondness how she put her ex-husband through the ringer during the divorce proceedings. The sun is high in the sky. It's hot and a wee bit sweaty and the floral lei on the woman is scenting the air.

I think it's the brassiness of the Gardenia that does it.

The Gardenia has kept me from wearing this as a regular scent. It goes OMG Perfume ya bitches! It tickles my nose, my eyes water. I amp Gardenia. It fades, but it's still there. So, I recommend this with reservations, if you don't amp gardenia, this is good stuff. If you do, proceed with caution.

I'm amazed at all the different scents people have gotten out of this one! A word of warning: I brought a second-hand decant off a lovely forumnite, so I'm not sure how aged my Coral Snake is.

I'm definitely in the spiced apples / cider camp. I'm surprised how many people didn't smell the SO in this one, because to me it was really apparent. To me this smells most like mulled cider, spices courtesy of the SO and added sweetness from the orange and lemon. It's really lovely and none of the notes go strange on me. At first I thought this would be a bottle purchase, but after a second testing I decided that the added citrus just made the apple too sweet.

To be fair, I like normal cider better than mulled cider to begin with.

In summary: Wonderful, but not quite me.

This is so sweet and fruity. :P

To me it seems like the lightest of all the denizens of the pit (though I have not tried Habu or the minty ones), but really beautiful! As others have noted, Coral Snake goes on 1000% apples! As it warms, the snake oil spices bubble up and smooth out over the apple top note. Once dry I can detect only the plumeria, not the gardenia, but the plumeria and apple seem made for each other! An exceedingly harmonious blend.

But, you know, I just can't find the citrus. Which rules, because I hate citrus. :D

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Cinnamon and cider!

Preconceived notions/pre-review thoughts:

In the imp: Spicy, Snake Oily apple!

On skin, wet: Slightly spiced apple cider. It's quite nice, but doesn't really smell much like Snake Oil.

On skin, dry: Cinnamon-heavy cider. This smells fantastic, but again, isn't really what I was hoping for.

Conclusion: Spiced cider -- nothing more, nothing less. I don't get anything approaching Snake Oil here, which is sad, because that's what I was hoping for. It is fantastic for what it is, and if I come across a great price on a bottle, I'll pick one up, but I won't need to seek this out,.

Coral Snake. The one I've really been waiting to try ever since I fell hard for Snake Oil. I love apples, see, and the smell of apples is one of my favorites. Blood orange is a friend too. We'll ignore the florals for now, as I can hardly smell them and they don't really enter the story. So I wanted to try apple-flavored Snake Oil, big time. And even as I'm sitting here smelling it, I can't stop smiling. Its a happy scent all around for me, one that evokes good vibes, and makes me want to sit outside around a bonfire drinking bottles of Strongbow with friends. I am in love with this scent, and may stage a wake when I can no longer get it.

YUM!!! :P

Bottle: red delicious apples

Wet: Mandarin orange note mixes with apple

Dry: turns a bit musky, but not overwhelming.

Great scent for the apple lovers out there. :D

Coral Snake

In bottle: Very ripe apples with a soft, almost minty edge!

Wet, on skin: Much like it smells in the bottle.

Dry, on skin: So juicy. Mmm. I'm not getting any Snake Oil from it at all, though. Very nice, refreshing, with an alert sense. There's not much throw at all, so this would be a good scent to wear if you were afraid of frightening people off with strong perfume - it's light and airy and I can't imagine it being offensive to anyone's nose.

I like this a lot, and will use the rest of my imp (having said that, there's not a lot left in it!) but I don't think I'll be buying a bottle. This scent feels pretty, but lacks the mystique and allure that I tend to look for in perfumes.

y'know. if i didn't know better - because i bought this bottle last February - i'd think i was wearing Snow Glass Apples right now.

this smells nothing like Snake Oil.

i had been thinking of selling this bottle, but i think i'll keep it, it has gotten better as it aged!

eta: although the gardenia does eventually do the icky-sour-BO thing that it does on me. but still... not snake oil.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Oh yah! This is a big ole bowl of fruit salad and Snake Oil. Predominantly apple and SO, but fruit bowl all the same. It is juicy, lush and very delicious. Snake oil sort of takes a back seat at the beginning while the citrus, apple and gardenia are loud and very present. Plumeria, gives a slightly spicy feel and after dry down, the florals and fruit calm down and SO reappears.

In the Imp

In the imp I’m not getting a lot of snake oil. Right now the apple is the dominant note with a hint of a floral background.

On My Skin

Immediately after application the scent hasn’t changed much. The main elements are still the apple and floral notes, but now they are more evenly matched up. Still no snake oil or citrus to be found.

After a Bit

A couple of hours later and I still am not able to detect the snake oil in this blend. The apple has mellowed considerably and now this is mainly a floral blend with the gardenia leading the way. It’s quite nice.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 3.5 Throw - 3 Longevity – 3

Overall (not an average) – 3.2

Final thoughts

This is a really lovely smelling blend despite the apparent lack of snake oil I was hoping for. I think I’ll have to pick a bottle up.

In the vial: Apple, tropical florals and a hint of Snake Oil spices--very strong and heady! No citrus, though.

Wet on skin: No more spices, and I can barely detect the apple. The florals have taken over the compound and they're having a raging party. And where's my beloved blood orange?

Dry on skin: The Snake Oil vanilla appears for the first time, but the spices are gone for good and the blood orange is MIA. These are some aggressive florals, but they never go soapy or shrill, just heady (as I noticed in the vial).

This blend is Snake Oil on vacation, lying on the beach drinking mai-tais. And it lasts FOREVER, even sticking around overnight and after my morning shower. This is a floral for cold weather; it would be too overwhelming during a hot, sticky summer.

Wet: Juicy red apple and plumeria

Dry: Pretty much the same red apple and plumeria. Although there's blood orange I dont get a deep, red citrusy feeling here..and then..there's a slight creamy feel to the blend maybe it's due to gardenia. I'm not crazy about heady gardenia but the note did not become dominate. It stays in the background.

Verdict: Perfect red apple blend with a bit of an twist..it's still very red apples with exotic touches so it prevents from being too fruity or ALL apples. No detectable snake oil...which is cool with me since snake oil does not love me back.

N.B. oil as aged over a year and two months when tested..

Wet: Apples, lovely apples.

Drying: Oh my gosh, pie! Apple pie! Just like my mom's! There's no crust, but it's pie filling, sweet and delicious-smelling. Please, oh please let it stay smelling like this!

Settling: Hm, a little soapy now, just a touch. Oh please, don't let this be the Snake Oil muscling its way into the front so nobody else can be noticed.

*waits a while*

Hm. This may not work out after all. I love the appley smell, but it's fighting with Snake Oil, and I think the Snake Oil is going to win. What a dreadful disappointment. Why can't Snake Oil learn to play nice? :P