Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Simplicity and innocence, gleefully despoiled! Sugared violet.

SImply put: I can't get enough!! And while I thought I was to like her sister Hope better, it turns out to be just the opposite...

So now I need to find a Hope addict and go sharsies with them on a set.. or 2.. or 3... :P

I don't smell much violet in this at all. Maybe it's just me, but I can barely detect it. The scent itself is pretty low-key, but I think that the sugary sweetness is a little dominant over the violet.

It's nice and subtle, but I love violet and I was hoping for a little more of the floral. It's a bummer for me, because the sweet note has a buttercream vanilla swirl that I think is lovely.

I'm glad that I sampled it before the Carnaval leaves for good, but I don't see myself needing more. I prefer Ultraviolet - the cool mint note brings out the fresh greenness of the violet, and I'm not sure how much I like Faith's juxtaposition of warm vanilla sweetness with violet.

3.7 out of 5

In the bottle: Virtually colourless oil. Vanilla, sugary cake. Faint hint of violet. Light candy grape.

Wet: The same, pretty much. Extremely creamy from the strong vanilla note. Violet still very faint.The combo reminds me of edible sugared violets. Still faint, artificial grape or berry.

Dry: The violet has finally amped enough to make itself known in the presence of the powerful sugary vanilla, but it's gone a bit powdery. Not overwhelmingly, but noticeably. The cakey and fruity notes have dissipated, and this is no longer foody.

Later: As with Hope, the fake sweet vanilla in this becomes unbearably cloying on me, and combined with the now heavily powdery violet (though still some pleasant floralness), it's a very intense sugar-powder.

Summary: Sugar, super sweet cloying artificial vanilla with waxy, rancid shea buttter notes, and heavy violet powder that's lightly floral. I had to wash it off. Good throw.

You'd think these should work on me as a rose lover and violet liker and identical twin...but alas, no. Vanilla is cruel.

In the bottle: Disappointing. Like cherry tickly-cough medicine.

Wet: There is violet there but she is drowning in an infernal vat of pick n mix and children's medicine.

Dry: Ooh much better. Faith emerges, as it sometimes does in an emergency, as a mature, chastened violet in a veil of vanilla. yum.

And?...:While I prefer Hope, Faith is very nice. I like the dry down when the throw around me gets nom nom. The combination of Hope on one wrist and Faith on the other is gorgeous though, and appeals to my Geminian state.

Well, I'm pleased to say that I've found my perfect violet scent! I find other violet's, such as Violet Ray, Bathos, and Bruised Violet Compound a little sharp and/or sour on me. The sweetness and vanilla balances this out nicely for me. I have a Violet Ice scrub from IOE that matches this perfectly, and I think I'll just have to get a back-up of this!

Faith is definitely one of my favorite violet perfumes, from BPAL or any other company. It's crazily sugar-sweet when wet, and softens during drydown into a beautiful pure violet candy scent that is neither too sharp nor too soft. I love it; it smells like something you'd get offered for dinner in Faerie.

Oh man, this scent was TEH YUM when I put it on. It was like burnt caramelized sugar with a tiny whiff of violets. Think of melting violet candies, with the sugar syrup.

Unfortunately, it has almost no throw and no lifetime on me. My skin just gobbles this puppy up. I'd have to toss on the entire 5ml and be constantly reapplying.

:P creamy sugary violets... the perfect sugared floral. Not too sickly sweet.. not too sharp and flowery. Just a bit of powder.. but it pretty much stays true to its description!

divine!!!!! :D

eta: Hour later... I smell like a strawberry shortcake doll. I kinda like it though.. I loved huffing my dolls face when I was a kid :D

Edited by Purrsnikety

I LOVE violets and the more I sniff it the more I like it. Violets, sugar and definitely some vanilla too, unless I am very mistaken.

The color association I get is also different from the other bpal violets. While the other violet scents are a very light and pale violet this is a deep pink and purple tinged violet, a very deep color. I dont know if that makes sense to anyone.

Very good staying power as well, especially where I put some on my clothes yesterday.

This is the first scent where I seriously think of getting a backup bottle to stash away because otherwise it will always be too precious to wear. But it is a very comforting scent that I want to use a lot right now.

A decant from the lovely kikithepirate!

I was expecting to love the twins. Rose and violet are my two favorite florals and I almost just ordered the set untested. I'm glad I decided to go with decants instead, because it turns out the twins are not for me.

It must be the sugar note that's giving me problems, because violet and rose generally behave on my skin. Once Faith touched me she began to smell rather... confused. Her confusion quickly morphed to something resembling Playdoh. I even tried layering the twins, since that's gotten such rave reviews, but Faith's Playdoh overpowered Hope's sugared rose.

I guess I will beware sugar notes in the future.

weird blue floral musky violet scent. Hovers on something pretty…wafts of something annoying. At first I thought I liked it…now not so much. I could possibly try this in a scent locket but will give it another run on my skin. It starts off as definitely something that smells well blended and pretty but then dries to a much more harsh tone of violet that is not as pleasant.

I don't think I ever reviewed this one. Such a shame, Faith and I have "a love thang" :D :D going on over here! I compared my back up bottle to my aged bottle.

In bottle: Sugared candy violets

Wet: Goes straight to a lightly sweet violet, perfectly powdery on my skin.

:P Overall: I love this. Since I bought it, since I have aged it, and will continue to love it!!! :D

I love Faith. This is violet perfection. Its much fuller of a scent than I had even hoped for. For some reason it really does remind me of being at a carnival. Yum.

This is the most wearable violet perfume I have ever tried (and I have tried A LOT). Not the most complex scent, it's almost a single-note violet on me. Having said that, it is perfect in its simplicity. I finally found a violet that I will treasure and wear. Perfection.

(Now, if only I loved Hope as much....)

Faith

Wet, in bottle: NOM! Parma Violets (the retro sweets).

Wet, on skin: NOM! Parma Violets!

Dry, on skin: NOM NOM NOM! Parma Violets!

This is such a simple but beautifully executed scent. I don't think I can justify a bottle because while I liked Hope, I'm not enough of a rose fan to have a bottle of her as well. But I will definitely wear this, and use up my imp (and possibly seek another out), and be very sad when it's used up. :P

So deightful!

Sugared violets, but not wretched chemical creations.

I was fortunate recently to try a real sugared violet, a bloom grown in a friends yard and candied in a medieval manner. It was so delicate, so fresh, so magnificent in such a tiny mouthful.

And that is what Faith smells of - that perfect, pure, real and precious sugared violet.

I tried Hope yesterday but didn't get a chance to analyze her. Today is Faith's turn...

In the bottle smells Faith smells interresting, rather purple. I can smell living breathing violet plants and a hint of earth. No sugar in the bottle but perhaps it will come out on the skin...

Oh boy was I wrong...

Hitting my skin, Faith immediatly fights me and turns to a dough-y kind of smell. She is like a spoiled brat saying "No! I don't want to Play with You, you played with my sister first." Wow, I'm kinda sad, I was hoping that both sisters would work for me, not one opposed. Next step, I wait a week and try her again, if she still won't cooperate, I'll try her on my Fiancee, maybe she'll have better luck than I. If not, I may have to try my hand at Quack medicine and perform surgery to separate these two from the hip.

:P

Best positive thing I have on her is that she lasts on my skin, not wanting to play nice, but not wanting to leave either. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

I am in love with Faith! It's the perfect sugary scent without being foody. Yet it reminds me of candy in a way, I just want to inhale my arm. I definitely need a big bottle of this.

Faith

Wet: sugar + water + soft violet

Dry: sugared violet

Verdict: from wet to dry it stays pretty much the same, it's just that, sugared violet but a very soft feel. NOT heady. Gentle & Pretty vibe.

In the Imp

Candied violets.

On My Skin

Yum! This is still sweet violets, but it has a very fresh scent, like real violets. Maybe there’s a bit of tonka in this blend, it smells very smooth.

After a Bit

This is a beautiful blend! It’s very smooth and has lost that a bit of the sugary scent. Now I’m left with a sweeter version of real violets. Great!

Rating 1-5 (5 being best)

Scent - 3.7 Throw - 3 Longevity -3

Overall (not an average) - 3.5

Final Thoughts

This is one of the blends that I’ll spring for a bottle.

Hope and Faith were two of the first bottles I ever purchased, which now strikes me as rather funny because of how downright pretty/girly they are, completely opposite of what my tastes turned out to be!

Violets somehow bypass my skin's giant powder-and-soap-factory and remain gentle, and Faith is no exception. I've never actually seen/tasted sugared violets in person, but this is definitely the only way I can describe it. Not much else besides sugar and violet, violet, violet; I would have liked Nocturne just the same if the tuberose hadn't smacked me upside the head. :ack: This is well-loved with good reason, but I honestly cannot wear it. I want to try scenting sheets or pillows or something with it (and wriggle around in girly Victorian heaven), but the one day I wore it on my person I felt so very off (not my personality, unfortunately). I haven't reached for Faith very much, but somehow I just can't let her go. :P

I never understood why people would eat candied flowers but now I do. This is exactly like the lab's description-- violets coated with sugar! It is a delicate scent but does manage to last about 3 hours on my skin.

My daughter has taken to this one and I don't want to share! Guess I'll be adding backups to this (and Hope) too.

Sugared violets are nummy. I agree with the very first review of this blend - it smells just like a violet Antique Lace! This is very pretty, pretty princess perfume, and makes me feel like a proper girl when I wear it without being cloying or overly perfumey...I like it a lot and will probably get more!

I love violets, and was hoping not to get the possible burning rubber scent described by Faith's first owner, or the initial

used condom

smell I get from Sybaris in the first half an hour.

What do I get I hear you ask?? VINEGAR!? Vinegar masking a hint of violet. After an hour the vinegar has gone leaving me with what I can only describe as a violet version of turkish delight, and it's yummy.

The same as with Hope, you can almost feel the powdered sugar on the end of your nose.

Hope has greater staying power by a couple of hours. I got about three hours from this but did wash my hands once where I'd put it.

ETA: The second time I tried it on my arms and liberally splashed it on, there was no vinegar, just strong sweet violet. Win!

Edited by cinnamonmel